Kwame: The Duncan Stopper.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Kwame: The Duncan Stopper.

At least he was tonight.

In the post one-on-one Duncan took two shots vs Kwame.He converted one.

When Kwame was guarding him the Lakers double teamed him three times. He passed out of the double and the Spurs shot three 3pt shots and converted two.

Duncan shot one jumper vs Kwame, a 15 footer with the shot clock expiring and he missed.

Kwame and Duncan had two rebounds that were 50/50 IMO as to who should get it. Duncan grabbed one.The other he grabbed as Kwame was pushing him underneath the basket. He threw it at Kwame's leg and it richocheted back on to Duncan. Lakers got the ball.

Kwame showed on the pick and roll and largely prevented Ginobili,NVE, and Finley from getting into the lane. Tony Parker got in their several times and drew one foul on Kwame. But Tony Parker does that to everybody.

Kwame recovered to his man as well. His man only got one basket when Kwame left to hepl on a shooter or a penetrator. Rasho got a dunk.

In one sequence in the second quarter PJ sat Kwame and Duncan took Cook right to the post and scored on him easily. Kwame was up and in the game right away.

Anyone notice where Kwame was when the Spurs went on their run in the third quarter? ON THE FREAKING BENCH. Duncan was not demanding the ball in the post alot when Kwame was guarding him.

The ugly. Kwame missed two shots from about two feet. He should have dribled once and dunked them. He had one sweet move in the post vs Duncan on offense and converted.He got a meaningless put back dunk in the final seconds.

Recap, Duncan scored 2 pts vs Kwame and 16 vs Cook,Mihm and Lamar.

Kwame should start and stick to the bench when Kobe sits down.

Kobe helps hide Kwame's offensive liabilities. When Kwame is in the game and Kobe on the bench the offense comes to a screeching halt.

Kwame passes on an open fifteen footer and gives the ball to Kobe? No problema.

Kwame passes on an open fifteen footer and hands the ball off to Luke,George, or Cook the Lakers just passed up the only open look the Lakers are going to get that trip down the floor. If Lamar is in passive mode then ditto that for Lamar as well.

Kwame line 25 minutes 4pts 7 rebs 2 Asst and only 2 PFs. And very solid to great D.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject:

Nice analysis. How kwame plays duncan again on friday should be really interesting.
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

What often don't show up in the stats is that Kwame can defend Duncan without other guys worrying about whether he was going to be beat. George Karl once said something that I thought were very insightful, in order to control the glass, you have to impose your D on the opposing team. What this means is that, when your teammates see that you can check your man completely by yourself, without any "spying" or sagging from them whatsover, then they are much more likely to get to the rebounds than the opponents. In other words, if they expect a miss instead of hoping for one, they get that little extra energy that can help them get to the rebounds quicker. Of course, they also box out better, because they didn't have to sag or spy.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject:

kwame to the rescue!
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

Please, nothing to remind me of Ruben Patterson
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:

I'm really curious to see what Kwame will do Friday. I wonder if he will start. I think he's starting to show how much he bothers other bigs.
BigAssLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

Smush is the real Duncan Stopper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
_LAKESHOW_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

nice post.

this is why we brought this guy in, to be a solid post defender. he is that. strong lower body. he just needs experience and needs to learn patience with his offensive game. not to always rush it.

but other than that, hes what i expected. raw. inexperienced. strong in the middle.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

_LAKESHOW_ wrote:
nice post.

this is why we brought this guy in, to be a solid post defender. he is that. strong lower body. he just needs experience and needs to learn patience with his offensive game. not to always rush it.

but other than that, hes what i expected. raw. inexperienced. strong in the middle.

5 years in the league and he's as raw as he was when he came into the league.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:

LAKERLVR wrote:
_LAKESHOW_ wrote:
nice post.

5 years in the league and he's as raw as he was when he came into the league.

Uh, no.

When he first came into the leauge all he would do on defense was stand straight up with his hands in the air.

Like a seven foot HS superstar normally does in HS.

High School Coach intructions "Don't pick up fouls,we need you in the game!"

On offense his footwork is far superior to when he entered the leauge. The footwork he showed in his one post-up score was non-existant when he entered the league. All he had was drive to the basket or layups when he got a pass deep in the paint.

He did not need any moves or headfakes when he was at least 5 inches and 25 lbs bigger than his competition in High School.And a far superior athlete.

Frankly who cares what he did in Washington. That is in the past.

Who cares that he is a former overalll # 1 pick. We did not use a overall #1 pick on him.

What he can't do is finish on offense. Evidently he can shoot elbow jumpers in practice but will take at most one in the game. Usually missing.

IMO he suffers from performance anxiety as I have noted before. That CAN be fixed.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:

I actually thought Kwame's defense was a bit opposite tonight.

He played decent on Duncan, but spotty.

Mostly good one-on-one post-defense like you kind of expect from
Kwame, since that's usual strength.

But nobody's a Duncan-stopper. Kwame did a solid job being a Duncan
slower-downer

But what I mean by opposite, is that Kwame's rotations were actually
decent tonight.

Normally that's a HUGE weakness of his.

I hope he can start getting those rotations down, because he stopped
Tony Parker twice COLD like a brick wall on two of 'em.

He's got the body and quickness, just needs to get his head right.

Once his rotations and PnRs are better, even with his lacking offensive
game his defensive presence could outweight that.

He'd finally be an asset on the floor instead of a drawed match between
liability and asset.
yungdame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject:

i think Kwame has been doing pretty well on 'D' the last few games,,his one on one 'd' is much better,,,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject:

Kwame is EASILY the best Laker bigman. Christina can´t guard his own shadow and Cook feels like the game ends at the half court line. He can´t get any rebounds or defend anyone.
un1bomber
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

not just the duncan stopper... he has been a monster against just anyone llately in the post (defensively)
BestDamnLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:

I'll take this defensive effort from Kwame. I've heard it's easier to develop an offensive game than learning to play defense. If I were Laker management I would require Kwame to spend time with Kareem and Craig Hodges.
Wannabeer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:

Remember this post for Friday. I'll be curious how Kwame's allstar post D works on a hobbled TD (who by the way was on his way to a triple double before getting poked in the eye)... Keep up the good work Kwame! :roll:
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:

I already posted my thoughts on PJ's rotations/matchups in the thread about the loss not being Lamar's fault, but I will restate that it was ridiculous to think that Cook could guard Timmy. Or even Mihm for that matter. I don't understand why Phil wants all of his offensive players on the floor at the same time...He needs to spread them out! Coming off the bench, the only offensive player is Dev, and he isn't even scoring that much.

Kwame should have started and played every minute Duncan was on the floor. Not only to defend Timmy, but to clog the lane to help stop dribble penetration. Like you said, if Kwame starts, Lamar, Kobe, Smush and Cook will do the scoring, hiding Kwame's lack of offensive output. Not to mention the fact that Kwame/Smush and Kwame/LO play very well off each other. An opportunity for Kwame to get going early.

With Mihm coming off the bench with Dev. it would increase the offensive production of the second unit. I think that's the adjustment that needs to be made in the next game. Didn't like Phil's rotations at all this game.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Kwame tends to have his best offensive games away from Staples? He could have a big game in SA. Phil needs to start him against Timmy for that game.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
I already posted my thoughts on PJ's rotations/matchups in the thread about the loss not being Lamar's fault, but I will restate that it was ridiculous to think that Cook could guard Timmy. Or even Mihm for that matter. I don't understand why Phil wants all of his offensive players on the floor at the same time...He needs to spread them out! Coming off the bench, the only offensive player is Dev, and he isn't even scoring that much.

Kwame should have started and played every minute Duncan was on the floor. Not only to defend Timmy, but to clog the lane to help stop dribble penetration. Like you said, if Kwame starts, Lamar, Kobe, Smush and Cook will do the scoring, hiding Kwame's lack of offensive output. Not to mention the fact that Kwame/Smush and Kwame/LO play very well off each other. An opportunity for Kwame to get going early.

With Mihm coming off the bench with Dev. it would increase the offensive production of the second unit. I think that's the adjustment that needs to be made in the next game. Didn't like Phil's rotations at all this game.

I agree, and posted elsewhere as well. Cook out there was just stupid. He got eaten up by Duncan, and gave no help on TP's penetration, and got lost on screens. I was screaming for Kwame (which I was shocked to find myself doing); Kwame was huge defensively against Detroit's bigs, he deserved the shot at San Antonio. Why they doubled down when Kwame was on Duncan is a mystery to me.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

Kwame's got the tools to be a great defensive player. Just being able to hold his ground one-on-one against the monster bigs like Yao and Shaq is a gift few in the NBA have. Not even Big Ben can hold his ground against Shaq. He also has decent foot quickness and lateral movement to move side-to-side against the likes of TD and Sheed.

I'd like to see him improve his rotation to stop penetration, challenge more shots instead of just putting his hands up in the air, and work on his rebounding positioning and securing the defensive rebounds, but overall I'm satisfied with his defensive progress.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

Yet, Phil kept putting Cook out there
jrod88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:

Wannabeer wrote:
Remember this post for Friday. I'll be curious how Kwame's allstar post D works on a hobbled TD (who by the way was on his way to a triple double before getting poked in the eye)... Keep up the good work Kwame! :roll:

Because Kwame was infact guarding Duncan every minute Duncan was in the game, correct? :roll:
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

man the truth is that Duncan is injured. Calling Kwame a duncan stopper ? Come on guys
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

Lets not give Duncan ammo for Friday's game but yes it was noticable that Kwame affected his play more than Mihm or Cookie.
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
Lets not give Duncan ammo for Friday's game but yes it was noticable that Kwame affected his play more than Mihm or Cookie.

And Plantar Fascitis affected him more than Kwame, Cook and Mihm all together
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

KB8@LG wrote:
Kwame is EASILY the best Laker bigman. Christina can´t guard his own shadow and Cook feels like the game ends at the half court line. He can´t get any rebounds or defend anyone.
I agree...trade mihm and Cook before you THINK about trading Kwame.

But we are bringing Kwame along slowly...like we just drafted him from University of Washed Up Wizs...

I think he will be a very good defender but to say what he WOULD have done with out the help is not smart. We know TD is one of the best and SMARTEST players in the league...

He would have gotten off if he wanted to and Kwame would have been on the pine in foul trouble...

What would have been the title of this post?

Kwame SUCKS!!! or Why did Phil leave kwame in there against TD??? PHIL SUCKS!!!

Reaction complaining is becoming an epidemic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: