Ok Sky! You were right! I now love defense as much as you! Come on back man!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Ok Sky! You were right! I now love defense as much as you! Come on back man!

Yes indeed after watching Parker partying in the paint I have to apologize to both Sky, and Mike for my love of offensive freaks. I'm about to become a huge fan of defense. We need a point who will say "never die!"

Defense with the point starts on ball from the time that MF comes rampaging down the floor! The Lakers have been butchered this year on the perimeter.

In all fairness though Smush is getting his ass handed to him by some pretty elite people but, I'm growing weary watching Mr. Mihm sitting down because another Pg came flying in unmolested.

I still love Fisher for all the great games he brought us offensively, and still hold Shaq partly responsible for all them points off the p&r but, now I want a beast on the point with speed, athleticism, intelligence, and evil...

There you go Sky...

People the (bleep) needs to stop... At least slowed down!

Is jax teaching those kids anything?
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

I can't wait for my SHOES Apology thread...
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Me too
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

I've already laid it out on that silly "weed thread"...
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

Good lookin' out...I'll pass on the message to Sky.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

Don't you think you've tortured Sky enough already?
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ok Sky! You were right! I now love defense as much as you! Come on back man!

THE_SHOES wrote:
I still love Fisher for all the great games he brought us offensively

Aside from the 2001 Playoffs, when was Fisher ever really considered a legitimate, consistent, feared offensive threat? Or even semi-feared for that matter?
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

what a comic relief...I know you're serious Shoes, no offense, but this is funny for some odd reason.

At least Fish (with all his missed layups and falling down defense) torched the Spurs back in 2001, and had the 0.4 miracle in 2004...I doubt Smush can even come close of doing those things.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

Message delivered...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ok Sky! You were right! I now love defense as much as you! Come on back man!

THE_SHOES wrote:

Yes indeed after watching Parker partying in the paint I have to apologize to both Sky, and Mike for my love of offensive freaks. I'm about to become a huge fan of defense. We need a point who will say "never die!"

Defense with the point starts on ball from the time that MF comes rampaging down the floor! The Lakers have been butchered this year on the perimeter.

In all fairness though Smush is getting his ass handed to him by some pretty elite people but, I'm growing weary watching Mr. Mihm sitting down because another Pg came flying in unmolested.

I still love Fisher for all the great games he brought us offensively, and still hold Shaq partly responsible for all them points off the p&r but, now I want a beast on the point with speed, athleticism, intelligence, and evil...

There you go Sky...

People the (bleep) needs to stop... At least slowed down!

Is jax teaching those kids anything?

I agree,.. defense is a bigger issue then offense at this point.... however in Tony Parker's case, he's been doing this all season, to every team in the L. It's almost unfair to ask our D-League PG's to stop him. Parker scores in the paint just as much as Tim Duncan. And look at this man's shooting percentage... it's an insane percentage for a PG. But with Duncan in the middle... he can do that. Timmy's presence creates lanes for Parker and Gino...

The Lakers are getting butchered on the perimeter because the frontline was so gawd awful eariler in the season (especially when you factor in the amount fouls they would accumulate), the guards feel like (KB8 included) they need to provide help down low, leaving their man open (it's a situation of pick your poison, 20/25 footers vs 4/5 footers).

This team needs to work on team defense/rotations, not to mention defending the pick and roll better. Good D leads to offense,.. at least that's what I was taught when I young.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

Defense is always a bigger deal than offense, always has been and always will be. Its one of the most fundamental theories of B Ball. Look at the history of bball and look at how defensive oriented teams have won the majority of the championships. Anyone who didnt really think D was all that important doesnt really understand the game. When I was younger and didnt really understand BBall I thought the game was all about the O, but after about 9th grade it was pretty obvious.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

It's not all about offense or all about defense. It's about finding a winning balance between these two. You can play supreme offense but mediocre defense and win games (like the suns), or you can play average offense but extraordinary defense and win games (like the pistons of last year)
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ok Sky! You were right! I now love defense as much as you! Come on back man!

Deja vu.

BTW, Shoes:

Quote:
The Lakers have been butchered this year on the perimeter.

This year or this decade?
Gr8testEver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

I think Sky has a cushy gig on CL now but if some people drop the homer act and crave defense first then he may be able to split his time here and with all the other boards he frequents and shares his knowledge of the game with.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

:roll:
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

Burned enough bridges.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Could be... However, as long as redemption exist the olive leaf still has a function... 8)

The sad thing is I can see right now that no matter how many points the Lakers score it is going to be a race to the 4th quarter buzzer till this team is capable of making any stops.

You watch the game, and you know that if it is close in the closing minutes that the Lakers are definitely not going to stop the other team unless they make a mistake. WTF?

It's time for a new attitude in Lakerville. kobe, and all them points is fun to watch and all, but the emphasis needs to swing now toward gaining a rep for being tougher to score on. These heartbreaking games are due mainly to the fact that the Lakers cannot bare down on a team, and stop em when its time too... That is aggrivating as hell...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Could be... However, as long as redemption exist the olive leaf still has a function...

It is. This must be the 2nd or 3rd time you've done this, he comes back. You both quarrel. He leaves. You don't change.

Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:

we havent had a real defensive stopper at pg since ron harper and even in his later days he was a way better defeneder than smush ,sasha, and fish put together. every years its the same damn thing pgs breaking down defense wreaking havoc.
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Name one PG "stopper" in the league who can stop Tony Parker from penetrating into the paint. He's elite. That's why he leads the league in points in the paint.

Stopping TP is a team effort. Ask Gary "The Glove" Payton.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

jmac78 wrote:
Name one PG "stopper" in the league who can stop Tony Parker from penetrating into the paint. He's elite. That's why he leads the league in points in the paint.

You don't need top "stop" him necessarily, just buy some time for the defense to react.

Anyone notice when Odom switched on Parker, Parker was a little less effective because he was bothered by the height and length?

He still blew by Odom. However, he widened his drive, bought time for Kwame to rotate, and took a poor shot.

That example is why I've been so adamant about lateral quickness, wingspan, athleticism at the PG slot. It's exactly what Billups does for Detroit.

Part of the reason why it doesn't work for Phoenix is because they switch EVERY time it's necessary. Mike D'Antoni is smart in that, he compensates with lack of size for quickness and footspeed. Rotations are quick. Energy is high. Phoenix wins most of their games without Stoudemire.

sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
I can't wait for my SHOES Apology thread...

Not sure he even owes me one for anything but I'll take one anyways!
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
jmac78 wrote:

You don't need top "stop" him necessarily, just buy some time for the defense to react.

Anyone notice when Odom switched on Parker, Parker was a little less effective because he was bothered by the height and length?

He still blew by Odom. However, he widened his drive, bought time for Kwame to rotate, and took a poor shot.

That example is why I've been so adamant about lateral quickness, wingspan, athleticism at the PG slot. It's exactly what Billups does for Detroit.

Part of the reason why it doesn't work for Phoenix is because they switch EVERY time it's necessary. Mike D'Antoni is smart in that, he compensates with lack of size for quickness and footspeed. Rotations are quick. Energy is high. Phoenix wins most of their games without Stoudemire.

On th surface, Smush would seem to be the PG you've wanted. He is quick, athletic, good wingspan, the only thing is he lacks consistent effort. I didn't watch the game last night (not televised here), so I couldn't see his play against Parker.
Gr8testEver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Banks
Duhon
Barbosa

All of these were in the Lakers grasp but circumstances and incompetence stood in the way.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Could be... However, as long as redemption exist the olive leaf still has a function...

It is. This must be the 2nd or 3rd time you've done this, he comes back. You both quarrel. He leaves. You don't change.

You nailed it Mike. As my mother used to say about scabs 'If you stop picking on it, it will never get better." Both parties just need to leave each other alone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: