kobe hurt the team in the 3rd quarter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: kobe hurt the team in the 3rd quarter

The match was on NBA TVint. I watched the replay two times.
--I don't know why but kobe forced too much at the beginning of third quarter it hurt the team a lot.
--Smush is one of the worst defenders I have ever seen. Parker was wide open several times because smush tried to steal in every possession.
--Smush also forced his shots.
--They unnecessarily double duncan.Brain cook
--Kobe didn't utilize lamar.He passed 2! times in the second half.He was only thinking scoring.
--yeah he was fantastic . at it.
gdballa03
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

What R U alking about ? Kobe know that in order for us to have a chance. he needs to shoot the rock, we all know that
The Kings are unbeaten in 10 home games since Artest's arrival, beating opponents by an average of 16 points per game. The Kings have won 14 of their last 18 overall, with their opponents' scoring average and shooting percentages all dropping sharply.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:

boricua wrote:
What R U alking about ? Kobe know that in order for us to have a chance. he needs to shoot the rock, we all know that
well, when he was passing it and we were running the offense in the first half, we were ahead and looked pretty good. When only one person is a scoring threat, it's pretty easy to play defense. Kobe made it easy for SA last night. They didn't have to worry about anyone else in the second half. They knew Kobe couldn't outscore them by himself, but they were happy to let him try!
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: kobe hurt the team in the 3rd quarter

nesli wrote:
--I don't know why but kobe forced too much at the beginning of third quarter it hurt the team a lot.
--Smush is one of the worst defenders I have ever seen. Parker was wide open several times because smush tried to steal in every possession.
--Kobe didn't utilize lamar.He passed 2! times in the second half.He was only thinking scoring.

:roll:
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: kobe hurt the team in the 3rd quarter

nesli wrote:

I couldn't make sense out of this...I'm assuming it isn't sarcastic and thus, this is crazy talk...kobe shot 53% from the field...ya he forced it like only MJ could :roll: ...we lost the game, like almost every game we play, on the defensive end
Mostwanted
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
boricua wrote:
well, when he was passing it and we were running the offense in the first half, we were ahead and looked pretty good. When only one person is a scoring threat, it's pretty easy to play defense. Kobe made it easy for SA last night. They didn't have to worry about anyone else in the second half. They knew Kobe couldn't outscore them by himself, but they were happy to let him try!

In the first half the Lakers also closed out on the Spurs shooters. In the third qtr. they let Manu/Finley shoot uncontested threes all game long and they hit them.

That was the difference in the game. Not Kobe upping his scoring load. The Lakers scored more in the second half then they did in the first.

It wasn't Kobe's man being left wide open for three. Lakers defend (like they did vs. Det) they win the game. Simple as that.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, but I was at the game and it wasn't Kobe's fault. The defense was absolutely horrible in the 3rd quarter. It was the entire team that dropped the ball defensively. They were ALL cheating defensively, so much so that Manu was raining 3's. Same trend continued into the 4th Quarter with Finley getting wide open 3's.

Regardless of what Kobe did on the offensive end, with the lack of defensive effort, it was inevitable that they would fall behind.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Why am I not surprised that someone who would troll the nice thread by wolfpaclaker would make such a (bleep) unbelievably stunted thread? Did you miss the fact that Odom allowed the opposition to get hot by continuing to give perimeter shooters wide-open looks in the 3rd quarter? Yet another ignored troll.

^^ Farmar

sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Any player who scores 43 points on better than 50% shooting is bound
to have had 1 of his 4 quarters be less impressive than the others.

Sorry, but we didn't get TROUNCED in that 3rd quarter because of Kobe.

If you wanna say he was going too shoot-first, fine.

But he STILL ended up with 43 points on better than 50% FGs.

If we can't beat a team when he does that, you need to look elsewhere
to point fingers - no matter when his points came or didn't.

DEFENSE was our freaking problem.

We gave up nearly 80 points in the first 3 quarters, and 103 by the end
of the game.

Our 90 points were enough to beat a defensive team like the Spurs IF
we had actually limited them defensively ourselves.
Kupchak's Biggest Fan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

The guy on ESPN News just ripped Kobe and the Lakers and say the Kings will pass us.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Kupchak's Biggest Fan wrote:
The guy on ESPN News just ripped Kobe and the Lakers and say the Kings will pass us.

That isn't news to me, they rip us every chance possible
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

So the question is why we played worse defense in the second half when there was good effort in the first?

I didn't see the game, but one theory could be that the supporting cast lost some of their interest in playing defense because they didn't knew they weren't going to get their shots. We all know this is no excuse, but we've all seen it tons of times. I especially remember Shaq getting pissed when he wasn't getting touches and his defense, rebounding and general enthusiasm declined.

Is that some of what you guys saw when Kobe started taking more shots?
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

kobe didnt force any shots. He took some shots he would normally splash in. Just didnt go in. Its not like he was jacking up contested shots and long 3 pointers.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: kobe hurt the team in the 3rd quarter

nesli wrote:

Um, your knowledge of winning basketball is sorely lacking. We didn't lose because of Kobe, who was spectacular. We lost because our T-E-A-M defense fell apart in the 3rd quarter, and that means everyone. Scoring was not our issue.

Defense isn't a glamorous thing so it's easy for the uninformed to just jump to silly conclusions that offense is what has cost us most of the games we've lost. The TRUTH is that when we lose, we almost always score enough to win. It's in the stopping people that the problems arise, and given the fact that Kobe has been playing sick as a dog and being brilliant inspite of that, your attempts to blame him for this loss are tacky and not well received here.

How sad that some "fans" can't appreciate jack squat. There's zero reason to find ways to blame Kobe for everything, especially when the guy doesn't deserve it at all.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
So the question is why we played worse defense in the second half when there was good effort in the first?

I didn't see the game, but one theory could be that the supporting cast lost some of their interest in playing defense because they didn't knew they weren't going to get their shots. We all know this is no excuse, but we've all seen it tons of times. I especially remember Shaq getting pissed when he wasn't getting touches and his defense, rebounding and general enthusiasm declined.

Is that some of what you guys saw when Kobe started taking more shots?

Why should they be pissed ? They are lucky to play in this league and for the Lakers and they don't defend if they haven't enough touches ????

Unbelieveble...
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

We should have ran better sets for Kobe. Kobe was taking those same midrange shots against Detroit, the difference here is that Bowen really contested his shots, and made them difficult even by Kobe's standard.

What I don't understand is, why don't we ever ran screens for Kobe to take those threes when the game is still in reach? Do they somehow think that Kobe has the mentality to make them only when the game is out of reach?
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I agree about this much, he wrecked the offense in the third quarter by forcing about 4-5 shots in a row. Don't know what he was thinking.
However that is independant of our defense failing to close out on Manu. Of those 4 threes he hit, only one was contested. Lamar fell asleep as usual.

The sad thing is that in the fourth we continued to commit the same mistake over and over. Finley and Tony each getting too much space, went off and it killed us.

I agree 100% about smush. He's one of the laziest defenders I've ever seen.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: kobe hurt the team in the 3rd quarter

nesli wrote:

I admire your courage. To post something so assinine, in public takes a lot of guts.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

Mostwanted wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:
boricua wrote:

In the first half the Lakers also closed out on the Spurs shooters. In the third qtr. they let Manu/Finley shoot uncontested threes all game long and they hit them.

That was the difference in the game. Not Kobe upping his scoring load. The Lakers scored more in the second half then they did in the first.

It wasn't Kobe's man being left wide open for three. Lakers defend (like they did vs. Det) they win the game. Simple as that.
Sure they stopped playing defense, but they also stopped running the offense. Go back and watch it.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

OshadowO wrote:
I agree about this much, he wrecked the offense in the third quarter by forcing about 4-5 shots in a row. Don't know what he was thinking.
However that is independant of our defense failing to close out on Manu. Of those 4 threes he hit, only one was contested. Lamar fell asleep as usual.

The sad thing is that in the fourth we continued to commit the same mistake over and over. Finley and Tony each getting too much space, went off and it killed us.

I agree 100% about smush. He's one of the laziest defenders I've ever seen.
It always happens like this. When the Lakers opponents get even a little run, the other Lakers STOP SHOOTING, and keep looking for Kobe! Often, once the ball is in Kobe's hands, the rest stand around, rather than run their sets. Kobe is put in the position of taking the shots, or driving hard, because nobody is getting in the position to score, and even when Kobe DOES pass out of these situations, the ball comes right back to him.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: kobe hurt the team in the 3rd quarter

LakerJam wrote:
nesli wrote:

Um, your knowledge of winning basketball is sorely lacking. We didn't lose because of Kobe, who was spectacular. We lost because our T-E-A-M defense fell apart in the 3rd quarter, and that means everyone. Scoring was not our issue.

Defense isn't a glamorous thing so it's easy for the uninformed to just jump to silly conclusions that offense is what has cost us most of the games we've lost. The TRUTH is that when we lose, we almost always score enough to win. It's in the stopping people that the problems arise, and given the fact that Kobe has been playing sick as a dog and being brilliant inspite of that, your attempts to blame him for this loss are tacky and not well received here.

How sad that some "fans" can't appreciate jack squat. There's zero reason to find ways to blame Kobe for everything, especially when the guy doesn't deserve it at all.

Wrong. The fact is that Kobe forced the first three shots of the second half. He had teammates in better position with an easier chance to score. Kobe stopped running the offense for some reason.

The analysis here is horrendous, yes we lost in part because of defense. But to attribute this loss soley to defense is an oversimplification of the issue. The issue is that against a team like San Antonio you've got to play smart every single possession. Part of the reason we lost is because Kobe Bryant forced to many plays on critical possessions. At the end of the day, we gave up a lot to the Spurs' perimeter shooters, but the end score suggests that if Kobe would have played smarter at the beginning of the half, we could've withstood even the meltdown on defense that we had.

The problem is that it was Kobe in the fourth still forcing and willing the ball into the basket that we were almost able to close the gap. So he has the talent to take over - that isn't a question. I would just have liked to see him defer more to his teammates at the beginning of the third to see if we could carry on that sort of production that we had in the 1st half. I think if everyone is involved in running the offense, they play better defense.

Having said that, anytime there is a loss, you blame it on the entire team and most importantly the coach. Fisher, Horry, and Fox knew when Kobe was forcing and they weren't afraid to go away from him and let other players get involved. They also knew when Kobe was hot and could take the game to another level. Our guys don't have that basic recognition yet, and until Phil starts to get that through to them we're going to have games where the offense stalls. Bring fox in as a triangle consultant on how to be successful offensively with Kobe Bryant on your team...

Kobe is the MVP and best player in the league. Top 10 of all time, so you can't fault him when he thinks he has an opportunity to put the game away. Beginning of the third is a bit too early though, even for him.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

shaq suxs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
ya rly. this should be locked.
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Typical Kobe homerisms. The poster did not say Kobe lost the game or Kobe threw the game away. His points are valid if you read it without your Goggle-#8.

Kobe did jump out of the triangle and forced some unneccessary shots. He was clearly preset on scoring mode, which did break the flow of the offense. When this happens, it's a bleak win-lose situation. Either we blow the team out or dig ourselves in double-digit deficits. As we have witnessed this whole season, this team plays better defense when they are involved on the offense. Sad but true.

The outcome of the game was not solely attributed to Kobe but he did play a role in the meltdown of the third quarter. To ignore that fact is being so enamored with a player(read:homer), you aren't willing to make valid, constructive criticisms that are merited toward him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: