Kobe can't be compared with LEGENDS OR PRESENT STAR!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Kobe can't be compared with LEGENDS OR PRESENT STAR!!!

Surfing around LG for ages ( ), I have noticed a trend of comparing players from the past & claiming one player is better than an other.

People need to stop comparing players with respect to their ages.

For example you cannot just say Lebron is better than Kobe at age 19 because Lebron almost avg a triple double while Kobe only scored 7 points per game @ age 19.

That needs to stop, it is ALL ABOUT LUCK & of course skills, dedication. Kobe was drafted into a team that was already established and soon Shaq in his prime arrived, did Kobe even have a chance to play 40 minutes/game. Hell no. Had kobe stayed with the Hornets, he could have scored at least 15 pts/game, minimum. So comparing two players like that is completely unfair.

The same can be said of Lebron. Had Lebron went to Detroit, he would be still a bench player especially cuz Larry Brown was the coach back then. So it is all about the situation of the team that determines one's statistical arguements.

The best way to compare players is compare them during their prime and their historical accomplishments. So just wait 20 more years, then comparisons between the present stars of the NBA will be legit.

The same arguement can be said of Jordan & Kobe comparison ( wait 10 more years for that). But as of today, it is CLEAR THAT KOBE HAS A BETTER JUMPSHOT THAN JORDAN EVER HAD.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Basically - Kobe is better than Michael Jordan and LeBron James. Thank you.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:

jminges wrote:

No I didn't say that. You missed the whole frekin point. What you just said is what I am trying to disprove.
un1bomber
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject:

amen to that... thank god not everyone is on LBJ's d!ck
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't think u can say one player is better than the other, just compare different facets of eachother's games as K8KillerInstinct has done in reference to Kobe and jordan's jumpers. Kobe is obviously a better 3 point shooter. Jordan is the better defender. etc.....
jack13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is better then Jordan...Period.
DidierUniversity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

jack13 wrote:

at least back it up.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

jack13 wrote:

Did you even read my post?? I am a big Kobe fanatic, but it is only logical not to compare them. At least not yet.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

, its never going to work buddy. Yes , U cant compare yet. But everything m.j has done , kobe has done and better at each point. More blings, beat him too it first. Complete Game, kobe beat him too it too. Now all kobe has too do i cement that legacy with a second dynasty, something jordan never did, he had a long on but if by some miracle kobe can replicate a 6/8 year run, he will be unquestioned.period.
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
, its never going to work buddy. Yes , U cant compare yet. But everything m.j has done , kobe has done and better at each point. More blings, beat him too it first. Complete Game, kobe beat him too it too. Now all kobe has too do i cement that legacy with a second dynasty, something jordan never did, he had a long on but if by some miracle kobe can replicate a 6/8 year run, he will be unquestioned.period.

It ain't easy coming back after 18 months and just win another 3 titles with basically a new team just with pippen held over. He won 3 straight titles, TWICE. We've been acting like Jordan is Kobe's biznatch around here lately. Jordan was cold..........and Kobe is nice!!
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

Jordan was always the main man. Kobe was not. Jordan has several incredible records, some Kobe has not broken yet. Jordan has 6 rings, Kobe does not. Therefore, Kobe has not done it all better than Jordan. Kobe's career is far from over though.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

kobekillinu2nite wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

It ain't easy coming back after 18 months and just win another 3 titles with basically a new team just with pippen held over. He won 3 straight titles, TWICE. We've been acting like Jordan is Kobe's biznatch around here lately. Jordan was cold..........and Kobe is nice!!

Sir dont question my knowledable of recent basketball history. Michael Jordan, is no FOOL, he knew what he was came back too and that was a 50 some, win team, that went too the Eastern Conference Second Round of the playoffs. Kobe has around 7 years at least two get 3 tittles, with the lakers organization and at the level his game is at dont bet against him. And if u go from age to age, till now, looking at skills, money, bling, whatever it is you want , kobe has surpassed m.j. U forgot to read the part were i also said it would be a a tough go for kobe too run off 6/8 titles its not easy.

Shaq and kobe had their share of battles making it too 4/5, but that was i believe a historically tough time for a conference. The west has 3 legitmate favourite contenders at that time. Portland,Sacto,San antonio and the lakers. Two of the top 3 were always around. Can kobe replicate something with that? With help ..yes.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Offensively: Kobe is currently playing better than any NBA player I have ever seen. That dates back to the early/mid 80's.

Defensively: Has proven himself to be an excellent defender when he commits energy to it. This season he has been saving his legs for offense but spurts of hard nosed defense have surfaced.
_LAKESHOW_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

kobe has attributes that are better than jordans. his shooting for one. jordans was much better in driving the lane though, i believe it is due to jordans vert. his "UPs" seems to be greater than kobes leaping ability.

but also, jordans defense was solid. night in and night out he was consistently strong defensively. kobe seems to have lapses.

it also seems that jordan was stronger. physically stronger. cant say for sure, but it seems that way.

the drive that both have . . . very similar.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Offensively: Kobe is currently playing better than any NBA player I have ever seen. That dates back to the early/mid 80's.

Defensively: Has proven himself to be an excellent defender when he commits energy to it. This season he has been saving his legs for offense but spurts of hard nosed defense have surfaced.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsQT4ePpkftOEOZHoFIcer28vLYF?slug=50pointsinagame&prov=st&type=lgns

Apparently you don't know Michael Jordan of 87-88.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Who says anybody your comparing Kobe is the best of all time. I still think Magic Johnson is the best basketball player of all time. He was dangerous on the court but he also made everybody else with him dangerous. Defense he could guard anybody from the point to the center. Talk about basketball IQ he had them. But wait where all Laker fans here so when people write down MJ there really talking about Magic Johnson right?
_LAKESHOW_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:

no doubt about that. magic is thee greatest of all time.

but comparatively kobe vs. jordan. jordan has more to his game than kobe. although kobe is a better shooter.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I understand the point you are trying to make. I agree to a certain extent. It is hard to look at all of these legends and point the finger at one and say "you are the best".

You have Jordan with his clutch play and his defense. The you have Magic with his all around game (passing, scoring, creating mismatches). Then you have Wilt with his dominance and his unparallel scoring ability. Then you have all the players in between: Jerry West, Dr. J, Larry Bird, Elgin Baylor, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and so on.

Personally, I don't think there will ever be one player that will stand out among all the rest as the greatest player ever. For example, some might say Jordan was better than Kobe. first of all, they're so good and so different, that Jordan should never be compared to Kobe. Just like Kobe should never be compared to Jordan.

I think it's all about chemistry. Jordan was the perfect fit for that Bulls team. Or that Bulls team was the perfect fit for Jordan. Thats not the case for Kobe and this Laker team. I think if Kobe were on this Detroit or San Antonio team, people would be singing a different tune.

In the end, I think we as Laker fans want Kobe to be considered the greatest of all time. But I think history will eventually place him among the greatest of all time. Along with all the others.

And I'm okay with that, because I'm enjoying it as it goes.

Go Lakers!
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsQT4ePpkftOEOZHoFIcer28vLYF?slug=50pointsinagame&prov=st&type=lgns

Apparently you don't

What was his 3pt% that year? Look it up, will ya? Educate your mind brother!

I gotta agree, Kobe right now is better offensively than Jordan ever was.

Not by a big margin, but he can do everything on the court and Jordan
never had a year like that.

Jordan had just a couple of good years from beyond the arc, but they
came later in his career when he wasn't as good a slasher as Kobe is this
year.

As for defense, Jordan was the better defender.

Kobe's not terribly far back on that, but enough so that I think you have
to give Jordan the nod as the better overall player.

That said, Kobe's young enough that (as mentioned in this thread) you
can't have a true comparison until both careers are finished.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Apparently you don't

What was his 3pt% that year? Look it up, will ya? Educate your mind brother!

I gotta agree, Kobe right now is better offensively than Jordan ever was.

Not by a big margin, but he can do everything on the court and Jordan
never had a year like that.

Jordan had just a couple of good years from beyond the arc, but they
came later in his career when he wasn't as good a slasher as Kobe is this
year.

As for defense, Jordan was the better defender.

Kobe's not terribly far back on that, but enough so that I think you have
to give Jordan the nod as the better overall player.

That said, Kobe's young enough that (as mentioned in this thread) you
can't have a true comparison until both careers are finished.

Well he did say offensively, and I was going by points, not 3 point FG%. And when you say offense, that's points output not how efficient you are from the arc.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject:

(bleep), u cant compare damn era's, get it throught your heads. Part of why kobe is getting so much publicity is because of the time , he is doing it in!

If someone wants too have a compelling arguement about kobe's year vs Jordans year, pull out the stats.

What were the other top 5 efficency ratings ' in that year , vs. the top 5 efficeny ratings this year.

(bleep), this is debate is , as annoying as hell, everyone is going in circles. Thank You
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

K8KillerInstinct wrote:
jminges wrote:

No I didn't say that. You missed the whole frekin point. What you just said is what I am trying to disprove.

So are you saying that Kobe is not better than Jordan or LBJ?
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject:

Das wrote:
K8KillerInstinct wrote:
jminges wrote:

So are you saying that Kobe is not better than Jordan or LBJ?

If Kobe had the hustle and energy on defense Jordan had, then yes, he would be a better player. The guy was literally everywhere, covered in sweat, leading his team in scoring and on the defensive end, first back. The thing I remember about Jordan was the sheer amount of passes he would break up in transition, it's like you didn't get fast break points on the Bulls.

His rebounding--and willingness to rebound--is something Kobe doesn't seem to have as much of. Jordan's energy on defense--no one ever said he was a lockdown man defender--but his ENERGY, his love for the game, was incredible. I've been blessed with the chance to see a few high energy players on the defensive end, and they lift the whole team up and put a clamp on the opponents offense even when he isn't there. There's always the thought in the back of the mind of the offensive player--if I shoot it, will he come from behind and knock it away? Or, better not make this post pass, he's definitely going to knock it away. Jordan took away so many offensive options and played with people's heads. I was always far more impressed with Jordan's effort on defense than his string of repetitive pet moves he used to score. Kobe is a far more exciting player, he's like Pete Maravich. When he makes a basket you think he just scored 20 points rather than it being nothing more than a 2 point shot.

With Kobe sometimes I fell he's just sitting back and playing coy, like you have to "earn" the right for him to play lockdown D on you.
Normandy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

When Kobe accomplishes as much as Jordan, I'll say he's better. So far he didn't do anything w/o Shaq.
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject:

Normandy wrote:
When Kobe accomplishes as much as Jordan, I'll say he's better. So far he didn't do anything w/o Shaq.

That is a *certain* way of measuring greatness. How an individual lifts up his teammates, or how well he meshes with his team mates, or greatness by circumstance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: