Profit is working out with the Lakers - is this even legal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Profit is working out with the Lakers - is this even legal?

By now, I'm pretty familiar with most aspects of the CBA.

A while back, when Malone was still contemplating a return to the Lakers after Shaq was traded, I asked Emplay if it was possible for him to work out with the team without being signed and he said it wasn't.

Did something change in the new CBA to now make it possible?

Quote:
After playing in four consecutive games, rookie forward Ronny Turiaf has not taken off his sweats for the Lakers' last three.

"We've played some tough teams and I'm a rookie," Turiaf said. "I'm still a little behind, still learning ... I have to get the confidence of the coach. He was comfortable with me in there against Orlando, Boston and [the Clippers]. I'm just trying to get better so when I get called up again, I'm ready."

Turiaf, along with Andrew Bynum and Laron Profit, did extra conditioning drills following Tuesday's practice. It's a routine he plans to keep the rest of the season.

"It's a matter of playing as much as I can and getting myself fit," Turiaf said. "The one thing I know I can bring is energy. I definitely feel comfortable and have no fear now that I have my first games in.

"I feel good about how I played. That's what I do, score points, grab rebounds, block shots, do whatever the team needs. I'm like the Energizer Bunny, my battery just goes."

link[/url]
Vandal08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Laron Profit????

La Times says Laron Profit worked out following practice with Turiaf and Bynum. Thought Profit was released/waived after rupturing his achilles. Anyone know what that is about? Emplay? Bueller?
Vandal08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Looks like you beat me by a minute! Funny.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

It was probably Devin Green but those guys at the Times don't know the players because they don't follow the Lakers. They are too busy following the Heat and kissing Snaqs fat arse.

Hooray Mitch!!!!
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

hes not working out w the team technically so its ok
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

so its not a typo its really laron? or did they mean devin green? thanks.
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

So he's only participating in unofficial workouts after practice?

Any speculation on the implications combined with McKie possibly being done for the season?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject:

only implication would be that la will probably try to re-sign him next season.

he cant participate in a formal practice - there is no typo - it never said profit participated in a form practice.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers could just say it was a playground game anyways couldn't they!?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks Emplay.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

I remember Jack Haley (or someone else) said he run into Profit in lakers locker room a while back. Said profit told him that he is recovering very well and will be ready to play for the lakers next season. I would assume the lakers plan to resign him next season.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject:

(bleep) awesome! I can't wait 'til we get Profit back! It's also very encouraging that he's already playing bball after tearing that achilles.

^^ Farmar

cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject:

hey, what happens if Profit rehabs so well that he's back to 100% come playoffs? would he be eligible to play for the Lakers? [and maybe waive McKie/Green ?] just a thought...
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
hey, what happens if Profit rehabs so well that he's back to 100% come playoffs? would he be eligible to play for the Lakers? [and maybe waive McKie/Green ?] just a thought...

it won't physically happen. the achilles tendon rupture rehab takes a while. fortunately for laron, he is relatively young.

he had a nice first step (which involves the gastrocnemius/soleus muscle group, among other lower extremity muscle groups). yes, this muscle converges onto the achilles tendon.

we can't expect too many miracles in ONE season (e.g. ronny turiaf, that confounds the heck out of many of my colleagues (not just me)).

early next season on the safe side with; probably on IR until mid-season, next year (to be really safe).
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:

I'm kind of shocked that he is ready to do conditioning drills, that's a serious injury. I wonder if Bynum and Turiaf are doing this on their own to be ready in case they play or if they are told to do it. I didn't notice Green's name in this article.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject:

glad they're working out together. glad to see turiaf and bynum are doing extra workouts.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject:

These guys have the right attitude. They're young with potential and they don't mind putting in the extra work to improve their game. I gotta give props to Mitch or whoever for having the foresight to bring guys like this into the organization.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

Great news. I for one thought the loss of Profit was a turning point for this team. When he was in the game, Kobe was able to sit and get some rest. He was able to step into the void pretty well and provide quality minutes to give kobe a blow. Not only that, but I like the way they play when they are on the floor together. I remember Kobe's comments that he loves playing with him and that he hopes he will be back next season healthy.

Thanks for posting this, guys. News like this is the reason I and so many others are addicted to this site. It's unfortunate we have to wade through so much negativity, though.
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:

I saw that in the paper, too. Wondered the same thing. I'm glad Profit is still around. He doesn't have the talent of Kobe, but he's a really good player and has Kobe's wiry build. Do ya'll remember a highlight from last year when Profit elevated to slam the backdoor pass? The guy thought it was Kobe! I hope the Lakers sign him for next year. I think he could be a good addition to this team.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject:

Man, I sure hope Laron is back next year. Like some of you have said, him going down was kind of like the "turning point" of our season. Frankly, I'm just VERY happy to read that he's still hanging around the team, much less having the ability to start working out!! That just makes the chances of him coming back even stronger!!

Before he got hurt, I was actually calling for him to START over Smush! Laron is/was just so much more steady and stable than Smush - and Laron was/is just as athletic. Plus, besides bringing the added dimension of a very underrated post-up game, I always thought Laron's defense and overall court awareness was superior to Smush's.

Please come back next year, Laron!!

Do it, Mitch!!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
only implication would be that la will probably try to re-sign him next season.

he cant participate in a formal practice - there is no typo - it never said profit participated in a form practice.

emplay you sound like a lawyer. I love it... I could just see you outside of the Lakers pratice facility meeting the press, and league officials...

"Excuse me gentleman lets not get all excited over nothing. Yes, we waived Laron Profit, and no he is not formally practicing with the team. Laron is just using our facilities for his rehab... Go on home folks, nothing here to see.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Man, I sure hope Laron is back next year. Like some of you have said, him going down was kind of like the "turning point" of our season. Frankly, I'm just VERY happy to read that he's still hanging around the team, much less having the ability to start working out!! That just makes the chances of him coming back even stronger!!

Before he got hurt, I was actually calling for him to START over Smush! Laron is/was just so much more steady and stable than Smush - and Laron was/is just as athletic. Plus, besides bringing the added dimension of a very underrated post-up game, I always thought Laron's defense and overall court awareness was superior to Smush's.

Please come back next year, Laron!!

Do it, Mitch!!

Good observation because by now Laron may have taken Smush's job, and Sasha would proabably still be seeing sparse action. Laron was fun to watch. He really did add a nice dimension to the bench. The dude was a hard worker on defense as well..
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:

Awesome, guys. Its really good to see everyone giving laron props. At the beginning of the season we thought this guy was a garbage throw in with the Kwame trade. He turned out to be our best bench player. You could give Kobe some more rest with Laron profit. Its good to see a player go from the bottom of being a "scrub" to earning the respect and admiration of the fans. Sasha and Kwame could learn a lot from Laron.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

So soon? Amazing.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

Guys, they are not working out per se. They are doing conditioning drills. Cardio, treadmill work and the like. I doubt anyone is even touching a basketball. It's not too soon to expect that out of Laron. He's already been doing conditioning as part of his rehab. Doing it with some of the guys just helps him to still feel part of the mix. But let's not lose focus of the fact that he's not practicing BBall. They are just doing conditioning drills (And not the type the coach gives ya in all likeliehood...)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: