Season MVP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Normandy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Season MVP

I think Lebron will get it this year if the Cavs continue to play the way they do and finish 4-5 in the East. The guy is just doing it all - averaging over 30 ppg, 7 boards, 7 assists, shooting decent 47.5% and having average players around him.

I doubt Nash will get it twice in a row, even though the Suns are playing great. Plus Marion is having the best season of his career.

Nobody on the Pistons have stats to pull the MVP.

I can see Wade contending for the award, but coming short.

Can't see any other candidates.
What do you think?
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:

Nash will win it
Normandy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject:

It will definitely be between Nash and Lebron, but I think Lebron has a better chance simply because his role players are worse than Suns' and
Nash isn't that great to win an award twice in a row. I mean, who was the last player to win it twice in a row?
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

Murray saved lebron's ass in the last few games.
Normandy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject:

I dont think anyone would remember that. I mean, it's not only about a last minute plays in a few games, but the season's performance. Without LJ, the Cavs are the bottom-5 team in the league
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject:

Normandy wrote:
I dont think anyone would remember that. I mean, it's not only about a last minute plays in a few games, but the season's performance. Without LJ, the Cavs are the bottom-5 team in the league

Only because Hughes is injured.

Snow
Flip
Hughes
Gooden
Z

Jones, Marshall, Varejao off the bench

This team is a playoff contender, expecially in the East.

By the way the hype machine is in full force, and Lebron could very well win the award.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

its all about nash.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject:

Steve Nash.

No doubt.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject:

Cuban has to be kicking himself...he let a 2-time consecutive MVP walk.
LALakers18
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:

Nash will win again for his second consecutive time.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject:

Steve Nash.
dyNastY-
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject:

dirk.
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject:

Laker tread and I am seriously not looking for biased answers but I gotta say Kobe Bryant hands down. Sounds biased right, but seriously Kobe gotta be the most valuable player and team could have hands down. You said Lebron , I completly disagree. I think Steve Nash or Billups deserves it more than James. All in all it should be Kobe especially with our playoff rebirth. Optimistic . Hey I gotta be. The only way to be.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject:

If we make Playoffs and 2nd Round, it's automatically Kobe Bryant of course.

Last edited by Nahtanoj on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject:

The suns are like 43-17 without 3 starters from last year. Nash is a lock.
KingKobe8thWonder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject:

Nash or Dirk! If we make a run and end up in the 6 seed it would be real hard for anyone not to vote for Kobe!
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject:

Nash will win it despite being the second best player on that team for the second straight season.

Well, I'm exaggerating, but I really think it's a joke that this guy who doesn't play any defense and plays with stud teammates gets so much credit for his team's gigantic success.

Make no mistake about it, he's definitely a very good player who probably deserves a fluke MVP for one year, but to make him a second-time MVP when Kobe has never even been a serious contender for the award is a joke.

At some point, they really need to change the definition of the award to the best player in the league instead of this ambiguous "the most valuable" which leaves the award open to controversial interpretations.

Come on... Nash?
2-time MVP?
Something even Shaq hasn't done?
Has Malone done that?
Hell, has Duncan done that?
How many years have we seen Kobe, Shaq and Duncan penalized because they were on a great team?
Could it be possible that Nash is also on a great team with a great coach?
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:

Kobe is MVP...anything other than that happening is unreal.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
JimRaynor55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Nash will win it despite being the second best player on that team for the second straight season.

Well, I'm exaggerating, but I really think it's a joke that this guy who doesn't play any defense and plays with stud teammates gets so much credit for his team's gigantic success.

Make no mistake about it, he's definitely a very good player who probably deserves a fluke MVP for one year, but to make him a second-time MVP when Kobe has never even been a serious contender for the award is a joke.

At some point, they really need to change the definition of the award to the best player in the league instead of this ambiguous "the most valuable" which leaves the award open to controversial interpretations.

Come on... Nash?
2-time MVP?
Has Malone done that?
How many years have we seen Kobe, Shaq and Duncan penalized because they were on a great team?

"Most valuable" is completely vague, and often inconsistent. It's also downright illogical. Don't you find it funny how in science, economics, or any other area, people try to isolate factors to determine their actual effect (control groups and "ceteris paribus"), but the same isn't done in sports? Just because a player gets more talent to back him up, or his team finally gets its act together, does not mean that he himself is actually playing better. Trade KG to the Raptors and Hawks, and he's still KG, even if he's on a crappy team.

One of the biggest arguments against both Kobe and Shaq was that they had each other. Why doesn't anyone knock Steve Nash for having Amare, Marion, and a bunch of good 3pt shooters to finish his nice passes? Seriously, most people wouldn't even consider Nash to be a top 5 player, but everyone thinks he's the runaway MVP.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
If we make Playoffs and 2nd Round, it's automatically Kobe Bryant of course.

Playing advancement has nothing to do with MVP.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Nash will win it

Agree, mp3 is having a better year then last year, and that's without his biggest horse in the line up, and a totally new team (almost new)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers make the playoffs, Kobe should win the MVP!

- Kobe 35.3 ppg, Lamar 14 ppg, +21.3 ppg differential.
- Kobe set a number of LA Lakers/NBA records this year.

- To get in the playoffs, we'd have to beat 16 (of 21) playoff calibur teams.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

JimRaynor55 wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Come on... Nash?
2-time MVP?
Has Malone done that?

"Most valuable" is completely vague, and often inconsistent. It's also downright illogical. Don't you find it funny how in science, economics, or any other area, people try to isolate factors to determine their actual effect (control groups and "ceteris paribus"), but the same isn't done in sports? Just because a player gets more talent to back him up, or his team finally gets its act together, does not mean that he himself is actually playing better. Trade KG to the Raptors and Hawks, and he's still KG, even if he's on a crappy team.

One of the biggest arguments against both Kobe and Shaq was that they had each other. Why doesn't anyone knock Steve Nash for having Amare, Marion, and a bunch of good 3pt shooters to finish his nice passes? Seriously, most people wouldn't even consider Nash to be a top 5 player, but everyone thinks he's the runaway MVP.

Probably because with the addition of Nash, that team did a complete 180 (29-53 to 62-20). I understand what you are saying,... but he makes those players look like all-stars. Raja Bell is a decent player, but with him on the court with Nash, he's that much better. Same can be said about Joe Johnson (look at his shooting percentage prior to Nash and then the year the Suns got Nash) from last years team. And you can add Boris Diaw to that list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
If the Lakers make the playoffs, Kobe should win the MVP!

- Kobe 35.3 ppg, Lamar 14 ppg, +21.3 ppg differential.
- Kobe set a number of LA Lakers/NBA records this year.

- To get in the playoffs, we'd have to beat 16 (of 21) playoff calibur teams.

Actually, it's a 2.5:1 differential. It's a common mistake that NBA announcers make. A differential is actually a ratio. It's a 21.3 ppg difference.

And I believe Kobe deserves the MVP, but no way he gets it over Nash and even LBJ. My argument for Kobe winning the MVP, he has a low talent team potentially going to the playoffs. If the Lakers don't make it, well, Kobe doesn't deserve it. If they make a last push to a higher seed. He should definitely be considered.

Since the writers are the ones that vote...KB8 will be out of luck for a while, when it comes to that award.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
lakerfin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Kobe is MVP...anything other than that happening is unreal.

It would be nice to see him win the honor. Lakers would have to close strong, though. I love Nash but he's surrounded with pretty nice players, whereas Kobe for the most part is surrounded by scrubs. Unplug him and Nash from their respective teams and I think you'd see the gap between the two teams become quite big. Lakers may not win another game without him. Kobe's will to win is un matchable right now, and look at the records he broke this year. His 81 point game was one of the only real buzzes this year. Hope Stern appreciates it. I'm sure he doesn't. With all that said, if the Lakers don't finish well, Kobe probably won't get a sniff at it.
Let's GO LAKERS
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: