Phil considered putting JJackson on inactive list
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Phil considered putting JJackson on inactive list

Saw this on another board. What sense would it make to pick up some 35 year old shooter and stick him on the inactive roster? Doesn't bode well for playing time for Jim, seeing as he keeps all the other bench warmers active.

Spurs notebook: Bowen, Bryant join forces

Web Posted: 03/07/2006 12:31 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES — Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he was leaning toward putting Jim Jackson on the inactive roster until assistant coach Brian Shaw convinced him otherwise at Monday morning's shootaround.

Last edited by targetman on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject:

The inactive list can be changed from game to game. All that means is he didn't want JJ to suit up for that one game.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject:

Confusing thread title.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:

I'm trying to understand why so many think JJ is ready to run out on the floor just yet. JJ may not enter a game till about the end of the month. He has no idea what the Lakers are doing. It would have been nice if Phoenix Knew they were going to cut JJ lose that they would have done it a little earlier... Ofcourse the Lakers got him extremely cheap but, damn I just don't know how he is going to grasp the offense effectively enough between now, and the playoffs...
LakerFan4Lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

It shouldnt bother us at all considering all the Trades we did before the trade deadline :roll:
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
I'm trying to understand why so many think JJ is ready to run out on the floor just yet. JJ may not enter a game till about the end of the month. He has no idea what the Lakers are doing. It would have been nice if Phoenix Knew they were going to cut JJ lose that they would have done it a little earlier... Ofcourse the Lakers got him extremely cheap but, damn I just don't know how he is going to grasp the offense effectively enough between now, and the playoffs...

Saying he has no idea is ridiculous. He learned an offense he was good at scoring 25ppg one time early in his career. Anyways, I don't think we want him to do much except make shots and trust me, he can.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

I don't know. It seems other teams can pick up a player and play him immediately and effectively.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

Let me say this slowly - He missed one game that was on the same day he signed with the team. What, you expected a triple double the same night?

Tim Thomas had at least a full practice, if not 2, before playing with Phoenix and you guys expect him to start right after the press conference.

Please.

And again, the inactive list is on a game-to-game basis. It isn't a minimum of 5 games out like it was before.

Last edited by 2Cleva on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

expecting JJ to transform this team, or even make a significant difference, is clutching at straws. that's not meant to be a criticism of JJ, but how much difference can one player off the bench make?

we are what we are this year - 8th, at best.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

LakerFan4Lyfe wrote:
It shouldnt bother us at all considering all the Trades we did before the trade deadline :roll:

I did a little research and discovered that the Lakers activity at this trade deadline matched what has been the norm for the franchise over the past decade. So Mitch didn't do anything differently this year than in any other. Makes it difficult to understand the surprise as there wasn't any. The Lakers have never really been trade deadline players. Not in contender
years and not in rebuilding years. It's simply not the MO of this organisation. They've always preferred to make their aquisitions in the off season and see them through for at least a season. Seems like a smart and measured approach that's been working for the organization for some time....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

osj wrote:
expecting JJ to transform this team, or even make a significant difference, is clutching at straws. that's not meant to be a criticism of JJ, but how much difference can one player off the bench make?

One player can be crucial. LA has lost many games because of lack of execution on either end. Having a guy who has been through the wars already is huge.

Brian Shaw didn't play for the entire season before he signed with LA. LA may never get off the ringless streak without him.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
osj wrote:

One player can be crucial. LA has lost many games because of lack of execution on either end. Having a guy who has been through the wars already is huge.

Brian Shaw didn't play for the entire season before he signed with LA. LA may never get off the ringless streak without him.

I think we just need a guy who is a consistent perimeter threat who you can count on to make shots and last season he was all about that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

Yeah and the Lakers are running a different system that requires all 5 guys to be on the same page.

I expect atleast a week of practices (Like with Turiaf) before JJ gets some PT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nate2k3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah and the Lakers are running a different system that requires all 5 guys to be on the same page.

Exactly the point.

New Thread Title: Phil contemplating to bench Jim Jackson.......for ? games.

The inactive list replaces the disabled list from seasons past. Nothing to fret about if Phil wants to bench JJ. He just doesn't want to throw him into the pack of wolves.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

like Mitch Richmond had a whole year worth of practices and only a handful of minutes to show for it. I don't know what's with Phil and Mitch Kupchak's pickups, he seems so reluctant to use them.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

like Mitch Richmond had a whole year worth of practices and only a handful of minutes to show for it. I don't know what's with Phil and Mitch Kupchak's pickups, he seems so reluctant to use them.

True.

But then there's Brian Shaw who got big minutes.

I think it really depends on the player. I think Phil liked McKie and also likes Jackson. But Phil brings players along slowly because he always wants them to learn and read before just applying themselves. Unfortunately with McKie he has been injured almost all season. Jackson if healthy, will get a shot to take Walton's spot IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

Wofly imagine how much reading Mckie has gotten in this season?

Aaron should be able to put out a duel thesis on The tri as it parrallels ZEN

Aaron better get his ass up before April! Even if he has to play in a wheelchair. Aaron has got paid two years, and hasn't did (bleep)!

Hell yeah, I'm mad! I want millions to kick back at home too!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

The only potential bright spot is that Aaron could be used in trades this summer as a contract throw in to make salaries work.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
LakerFan4Lyfe wrote:

I did a little research and discovered that the Lakers activity at this trade deadline matched what has been the norm for the franchise over the past decade. So Mitch didn't do anything differently this year than in any other. Makes it difficult to understand the surprise as there wasn't any. The Lakers have never really been trade deadline players. Not in contender
years and not in rebuilding years. It's simply not the MO of this organisation. They've always preferred to make their aquisitions in the off season and see them through for at least a season. Seems like a smart and measured approach that's been working for the organization for some time....

Research? Would you care to share the source of your information pertaining to with who, and about wht, the Lakers discussed with other teams in terms of trade propositions. I would love to hear this one. Was it John Black?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
LakerFan4Lyfe wrote:

Research? Would you care to share the source of your information pertaining to with who, and about wht, the Lakers discussed with other teams in terms of trade propositions. I would love to hear this one. Was it John Black?

Definitely not. I'm not one of the ones on here who even pretends to know what goes on behind the walls of Lakers headquarters and even more specifically behind the closed doors and on the phone lines of Mitch Kupchak. That's why I never jump in the fray when all this conjecture about "potential" trades comes up. I can easily admit I'm in the dark about "Potential" . I simply follow what actually happens in reality and the reality is the Lakers seldom trade at the trade deadline. People here act as if this year was something unique and it most certainly isn't. They may do a lot of talking about "potential" trades but it's always been just that - talking, because the VERY seldom EVER pull the trigger at the trade deadline and this year was no different....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
The inactive list can be changed from game to game. All that means is he didn't want JJ to suit up for that one game.

exactly!
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Can you explain to me exactly, why this will be the case, we have little more then 19 games left Turiaf is not ready, JJ can give us something right now through offense & defense.

There isn't much time left in this season everything needs to get worked out now if the Lakers want to make a solid run...
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

If one player does not know this particular system, the entire squad out on the floor will suffer for it. As has been said, the Triangle players have to be on the same page, their movements coordinated and their reactions have to be adjusted on the spot. You can't just walk into it and expect to be in the flow, you have to practice it.

Remember, there are very very few set "plays" in this system.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:

True, I don't get what the point of signing him was if he isn't going to be used.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: