Who should we sign for a second option next season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
Neither Bosh nor Lewis is a FA next year. And the second option will come in the trade of Lamar Odom. This is not a bash post but all of the tea leaves read that he will be gone.

There are ways to keep LO and still get a second option. But of course Mitch doesn't know it.
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
II Cleva wrote:
Neither Bosh nor Lewis is a FA next year. And the second option will come in the trade of Lamar Odom. This is not a bash post but all of the tea leaves read that he will be gone.

There are ways to keep LO and still get a second option. But of course Mitch doesn't know it.

Me neither, i can't see getting a second option w/o giving up him and his big contract
The Kings are unbeaten in 10 home games since Artest's arrival, beating opponents by an average of 16 points per game. The Kings have won 14 of their last 18 overall, with their opponents' scoring average and shooting percentages all dropping sharply.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

We don't have many options this summer, cuz Brian Grant's contract is still on the books. It's not counting against the luxury tax, but it's still counted against our cap space.

So, basically, whomever will come here for cheap will be our option this coming summer.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

I don't think the Lakers need a 2nd option as much as they need to fill in the pieces of the Triangle.

Brian Cook is a good offensive option. But he can't defend or rebound the way a starter should be. Hence, you can't really start him (Well you shouldn't be in the longrun). That means if we can get a player that can contribute Cook's PPG but with boards/defense - you have made an upgrade. Some potential options.

Drew Gooden (Sign and Trade)
Carlos Boozer (Trade)
Al Harrington (Sign and Trade)

Then the next void to fill would be the PG spot. Some options there

Baron Davis (Trade)
Jamal Crawford (Trade)
Mike James (Full MLE)
Sam Cassell (2-3 year MLE)
Fred Jones (Sign and Trade)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

someone who's agreeable to a 1-year 2.5 million contract...and probably someone who's on the decline and is about to retire.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
someone who's agreeable to a 1-year 2.5 million contract...and probably someone who's on the decline and is about to retire.

I sincerely doubt Phil will take another year of that.

Hell even last season, they shelled out some 7-8 million for Kwame Brown.

Might do another sign and trade this upcoming summer with Mihm+Cook as the main trade bait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

A second option doesnt necessarily mean a superstar, just a scorer, most likely a shooter, I think Morris Peterson, Stephen Jackson, Hedo Turkoglu would be good, but whats the price on those guys? Prolly more than we can offer.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Might do another sign and trade this upcoming summer with Mihm+Cook as the main trade bait.

2007 (2008?) plan...if that's still in effect
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Drifts wrote:

2007 (2008?) plan...if that's still in effect

Well like with Kwame - if they can get 1-2 FA's to take big yearly salaries but short in the amount of guaranteed years they might be able to keep the capspace and still make some additions.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:

What about Peja Stojakovic? Is he a FA after the season? He's proven he still has something left in the tank. And yes, it would be very very strange see Peja in the P&G, Twight Light Zone stuff...
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

I just have the strange feeling that Boozer will be a Laker next season, and that we'll have to give up a combo of Mihm, Odom or George for Boozer and maybe another Jazz player in return.

I think Mitch will be proud of the move and Laker fans will be excited but we still will lack a PG and win 45 games....
Vertigo1004
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

Guys I know this probably sounds crazy but by some miracle if Peja takes the mid level, and we can trade for Boozer boy I like our chances. Although I really want Bosh some way some how. I think this kid has baby KG written all over him. But the only way we get Bosh is 2008, and who knows we might be even able to steal Artest that year as well with mid level (wishful thinking)

Kwame/Bynum
Booozer/Turiaf
LO/Profit/George
Peja/Parker
Kobe/Wafer

Bynum/Turiaf
Bosh/Cook
LO/George? Luke?
Artest/Profit
Kobe/Wafer
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Drew Gooden.

Though you, somewhat, clarified your position in a subsequent post in this thread, I find it ironic that you proposed Drew Gooden in a thread discussing possible 2nd scoring options for this Laker team.

Now JD has thrown down the gauntlet in terms of reposting member's comments from the past, so I won't violate. But suffice to say, on another occassion when Gooden's name was mentioned as a possible 2nd scoring option for this team, you were less than enthused (to put it mildly). Anyone interested can do the search themselves.

Anyways, I'll PM you the prior comment that you made and perhaps you can address the apparent inconsistencies.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
Bosh

think coangelo is gonna give him up?

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

Vertigo1004 wrote:
Guys I know this probably sounds crazy but by some miracle if Peja takes the mid level, and we can trade for Boozer boy I like our chances. Although I really want Bosh some way some how. I think this kid has baby KG written all over him. But the only way we get Bosh is 2008, and who knows we might be even able to steal Artest that year as well with mid level (wishful thinking)

Kwame/Bynum
Booozer/Turiaf
LO/Profit/George
Peja/Parker
Kobe/Wafer

Bynum/Turiaf
Bosh/Cook
LO/George? Luke?
Artest/Profit
Kobe/Wafer

Why the hell would Peja take the MLE? Or Artest for that matter?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Drew Gooden.

Though you, somewhat, clarified your position in a subsequent post in this thread, I find it ironic that you proposed Drew Gooden in a thread discussing possible 2nd scoring options for this Laker team.

Now JD has thrown down the gauntlet in terms of reposting member's comments from the past, so I won't violate. But suffice to say, on another occassion when Gooden's name was mentioned as a possible 2nd scoring option for this team, you were less than enthused (to put it mildly). Anyone interested can do the search themselves.

Anyways, I'll PM you the prior comment that you made and perhaps you can address the apparent inconsistencies.

No reason to. I know what I said.

I will sum it up.

1- Drew Gooden > Brian Cook/Chris Mihm
2- Drew Gooden < Lamar Odom

If you want to upgrade do 1. If you want to downgrade, do #2.

Quote:
I don't think the Lakers need a 2nd option as much as they need to fill in the pieces of the Triangle.

This is what I said at the very start of the post, And 1. Gooden would be a piece of the puzzle. As would Boozer. That was the point. Not a 2nd option but someone that could fill in a role for the team at starting PF

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Brian Cook is a good offensive option. But he can't defend or rebound the way a starter should be. Hence, you can't really start him (Well you shouldn't be in the longrun). That means if we can get a player that can contribute Cook's PPG but with boards/defense - you have made an upgrade. Some potential options.

Drew Gooden (Sign and Trade)
Carlos Boozer (Trade)
Al Harrington (Sign and Trade)

Then the next void to fill would be the PG spot. Some options there

Baron Davis (Trade)
Jamal Crawford (Trade)
Mike James (Full MLE)
Sam Cassell (2-3 year MLE)
Fred Jones (Sign and Trade)

Wolf, I agree with you about Brian Cook. Good shooter off the bench, liability as a starter. I like some of the names you have up there. Fred Jones or Mike James could be good in our system (Mike James would need some discipline). Cassell is an outside possibility as well, but don't you think he'll be staying with the Clippers? I would puke if we took on Crawford's contract, and I really don't see GS trading us Baron Davis. I am less excited about the PF names you threw out there, but I'd take any of them if we didn't have to give up any of our major pieces. Though even then we'd have to consider whether these players are worth giving up the pipe that is now the 2008 plan.

Ultimately, though, I think we need to trade Odom. Use him as part of a package to get a real impact player if possible (KG however unlikely, or maybe a Richard Jefferson), or trade him for a few very solid role players (Deng, Duhon and Chandler for LO and Mihm perhaps?). Bottom line is that Odom just doesn't work with what we are doing.
Octavian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

drew gooden sucks! why has he been traded 3 times already? i think we trade bynum and try to win now!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Wolf, I agree with you about Brian Cook. Good shooter off the bench, liability as a starter. I like some of the names you have up there. Fred Jones or Mike James could be good in our system (Mike James would need some discipline). Cassell is an outside possibility as well, but don't you think he'll be staying with the Clippers? I would puke if we took on Crawford's contract, and I really don't see GS trading us Baron Davis. I am less excited about the PF names you threw out there, but I'd take any of them if we didn't have to give up any of our major pieces. Though even then we'd have to consider whether these players are worth giving up the pipe that is now the 2008 plan.

Ultimately, though, I think we need to trade Odom. Use him as part of a package to get a real impact player if possible (KG however unlikely, or maybe a Richard Jefferson), or trade him for a few very solid role players (Deng, Duhon and Chandler for LO and Mihm perhaps?). Bottom line is that Odom just doesn't work with what we are doing.

I would have to disagree. I think Odom is a huge advantage for this team because he is just not a scorer. When Kobe is dominating he can facilitate the game through other things. But I'm not going to make this thread about that.

Whether we trade Odom or not, the Lakers still need to upgrade PG and PF in the worst way.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
I just have the strange feeling that Boozer will be a Laker next season, and that we'll have to give up a combo of Mihm, Odom or George for Boozer and maybe another Jazz player in return.

I think Mitch will be proud of the move and Laker fans will be excited but we still will lack a PG and win 45 games....

Though I don't dislike Boozer's game, I'm unsure if he would necessarily warrant being a second option on this squad.

When I think of a 2nd option for this team, I'm thinking about someone who can drop 18-20 ppg, either from the paint or from a variety of places. I see Boozer's offensive game as being 70% mid-range and 30% in the paint.

Rashard Lewis is a player that, I believe, would be more suited to being a 2nd option for this Laker team. He's shown that he can put up those type of numbers and height and range make him a threat inside and out (though I'll acknowledge that he inflicts most of his damage from the perimeter.

Because they would essentially be playing the same position, I think that the only way to acquire Lewis would be by trading Odom plus Miami's 1st. If lewis makes enough noise, however, perhaps Odom straight-up might get it done.

With regard to Boozer...

Judging by recent rumors posted on this board, the Lakers might be able to acquire him for Mihm and a resigned Devean George. that remains to be seen.

As an alternative, I've proposed looking to acquire Chris Wilcox from Seattle along with Rashard Lewis. Wilcox is a RFA at the end of this season and has played well in his stint with the Sonics (averaging 12 & 7, I believe). I think that they (Seattle) just might consider a S&T with us where they'll take Mihm and a resigned Devean George.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

^
I rather have Mihm than Wilcox.

We already have our athletic PF/C with limited offensive ability in Kwame. Sure, Wilcox is a better dunker but the guy is just a big headcase and really lacks a true offensive game.

Mihm should be traded for better IMO. Personally despite being foul prone and at times soft, Mihm has played well and improved as a low post threat for the Lakers. Trading him won't be easy. We better get something proven and of good value in return.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
I rather have Mihm than Wilcox.

We already have our athletic PF/C with limited offensive ability in Kwame. Sure, Wilcox is a better dunker but the guy is just a big headcase and really lacks a true offensive game.

Mihm should be traded for better IMO. Personally despite being foul prone and at times soft, Mihm has played well and improved as a low post threat for the Lakers. Trading him won't be easy. We better get something proven and of good value in return.

Well, I've given up on the prospect of having Kwame serve as a PF. I think he can be a good center for us, though - one who provides better defense than Mihm.

I'm aware that Wilcox had his run-ins with coach Dunleavey. But is that what you're basing your "headcase" remark on? Or do you know about other things? I think it's unfair to judge a particular player or coach based upon clashes one or the other may have had with each other.

As for Wilcox not possessing a true offensive game...

With PT in Seattle, he's putting up 12 ppg. That's pretty damn good for someone without a "true offensive game" don't you think? If you consider those points to be "garbage points" so be it. The way I look at it, those 12 garbage points become 14-15 points with any decent FT shooting from him. I also believe that with his athleticism, his defense and rebounding could improve.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:

Wilcox is a headcase?

Hm.

Unlike Kwame, Wilcox does his work off the ball, as well as catch and finish. I've been asking for this guy for over 2 years now, and am not surprised that he's producing more than Kwame offensively, and had a series of great games last season with Brand or Kaman out.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wilcox is a headcase?

Hm.

Unlike Kwame, Wilcox does his work off the ball, as well as catch and finish. I've been asking for this guy for over 2 years now, and am not surprised that he's producing more than Kwame offensively, and had a series of great games last season with Brand or Kaman out.

Well, that wasn't really my point.

Is Wilcox better than Kwame? Maybe. I think Kwame's extra size makes him a slightly more valuable commodity and we will see how much CW makes in FA as opposed to Kwame. Kwame's impact on elite bigmen defensively can not be ignored. I do not think Wilcox could ever impact a game like that.

But that wasn't the issue. A Kwame-Wilcox trade I could appetitie. Mihm-Wilcox was basically the suggestion. Would you honestly trade Chris Mihm for Chris Wilcox?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

I don't see Wilcox often, so how good of a defender is he?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: