Kobe Asks Laker Fans to Support Lamar Odom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Great game by Odom tonight, and the last three games. Maybe it is a matter of him getting it, or having the right matchups for him to exploit for the extra points. I think Soda has it right; Odom is a great third option. If the Lakers secure a strong section option like a Terry, Bibby, or a talented big like Bosh or Dirk then we have a great team. We are going to keep Odom unless we find that "special 2nd option" that demands the price of Odom in return. Our only real hope is that there will be a better MLE prospect out there this summer other than the McKie we got stuck with this year.

give Odom his due, he is playing well; but we may ahve to live with the fact that his contribution may peak at 15/10/6. Maybe we can lure someone like a Bosh for Kwame and Mihm in the off season.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
Props to LO! Monster game, brotha!

You know, we've been criticizing Lamar for not demanding the ball more in the offense, but think about it. If you aren't comfortable in the offense are you going to call for the ball without knowing what to do with it? Lamar has been kind of coasting, focusing on what he is comfortable doing (rebounding, dishing, handling the ball) while he figures out what his role in the offense is. I think he's been deferring to people who know the offense well (Dev, Cook and of course Kobe, sometimes even Luke) or to people whose role is less complicated in the system: like mihm who is only expected to play low post or flash to the pinch post and knock down shots.

Kobe has said it himself. Lamar's position in the offense is the most difficult to learn, he struggled with it himself. Can't we just give him some time? Rome wasn't built in a day. I think he is getting more and more comfortable in the offense and that is why his scoring is going up. I just wish they would do a better job of taking advantage of the mismatches in the post. Watching the New Orleans feed on NBATV, those guys were just marveling at Lamar's abilities, and said he's UNSTOPPABLE when he has a foot in the paint because he is so tall. We need to isolate him in the post and make other teams either double team him, or let him go one on one against him.

Oh, and regarding what Kobe said about the fans supporting Lamar, any true Laker fan is going to support any player that is wearing the purple and gold. Honestly, Slava and Luke get more love around here for doing infinitely less for this team than Lamar does. All the negativity needs to stop.

GO LAKERS!

The only thing I don't like about your post is your name and I still respect that.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:

Scherm beat me to the post since I was going to post the same topic but had no time until now.

Here is a direct word for word text of the post game interchange between Ireland and Kobe on this topic:

Ireland:
Quote:
A lot of people externally complain about Lamar, I know you guys appreciate what he does

Kobe:
Quote:
Lamar has the potential to be one of the greatest to ever play the game, he really does... It's just a matter of him figuring out how to be consistant. When he does he's going to ba a monster every single night... It's important for the city of LA to be patient with him.

Of course Kobe is going to be partial, but it is clear by his statement that Kobe wants Lamar on the Laker team. Kobe did not have to go so far as to declare that Lamar "has the potential to be one of the greatest to ever play the game"... he's [Lamar] going to be a monster every single night".

So it seems that Kobe is apparently at odds with a majority of the LG members regarding their opinions of Lamar.

Could it be that maybe Kobe has a little better perspective in that he knows what Lamar is going through as far as learning another type of position for him as well as the fact that Lamar is in the process of learning the Triangle for the first time in his career.

We can see that other than assists, Lamar's numbers are slightly down this year as compared to the last 2 years. Could this be due to the learning curve involved here, and Kobe is full aware of this. Just maybe once Lamar becomes more comfortable with this role and becomes more familiar with the iintricacies of the Triangle he will prove Kobe right. After all Lamar is not only learning a new system that Phil has said many times takes minimally 2 years to learn effectively but is also ultimately learning a new position (role) to play as well.

All of the criticism of Lamar on this board aside, the fact is Lamar is still only 26 years old and has his prime years still way ahead of him. So if Kobe is just half right and we as fans just need to have a little patience in regard to Lamar absorbing the changes required of him then we might just be sorry if the often posted trade demands actually occured. Lamar has generally been a post player in the past so it would seem reasonable to assume that Lamar would need time to learn the more complicated aspected of taking on the "initiator" role that Jackson wants him to do. If Kobe can have the patience it would seem that the fans should have at least as much patience as well.

Time will tell whether Kobe and Jackson's confidence in Lamar is correct as opposed to the views of the majority on this board who think in direct contrast to Kobe and Phil that Lamar is not the answer and is a mediocre player at best.

Somehow I think that maybe Jackson and Kobe might have a little better insight than the fan base for the most part.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Good to see some are finally seeing what Lamar Odom is all about......

Wrong, wolf. What's good is that Odom is finally giving people something to be excited about. It's got nothing to do with people finally seeing it, and has everything to do with him finally DOING it. That said, MAJOR ups to LO. He was badass tonight!!!

His coach also told him to become more aggressive. Also told him, even if you have to go out of the Tri to score - do it.

So that also helps. He now knows that he must put some more points on the board.

But at the same time, if the ball can't be delivered to him, in an oppurtunity to score - I don't think that's his fault.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Oh, come on. What was Kobe supposed to say? "Lamar Odom is a lost cause and has no place on this team"? The media would tear him apart if he said something like that.

:roll:

Typical hater talk

What didn't he have to say?

I dunno, that LO could be one of the best ever?

That's a huge thing to say. Shows you what Kobe thinks of Lamar's abilties. You better believe he thinks they can work it out as a 1-2 punch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Scherm beat me to the post since I was going to post the same topic but had no time until now.

Here is a direct word for word text of the post game interchange between Ireland and Kobe on this topic:

Ireland:
Quote:
A lot of people externally complain about Lamar, I know you guys appreciate what he does

Kobe:
Quote:
Lamar has the potential to be one of the greatest to ever play the game, he really does... It's just a matter of him figuring out how to be consistant. When he does he's going to ba a monster every single night... It's important for the city of LA to be patient with him.

Thanks for the direct quotes!
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:
Props to LO! Monster game, brotha!

You know, we've been criticizing Lamar for not demanding the ball more in the offense, but think about it. If you aren't comfortable in the offense are you going to call for the ball without knowing what to do with it? Lamar has been kind of coasting, focusing on what he is comfortable doing (rebounding, dishing, handling the ball) while he figures out what his role in the offense is. I think he's been deferring to people who know the offense well (Dev, Cook and of course Kobe, sometimes even Luke) or to people whose role is less complicated in the system: like mihm who is only expected to play low post or flash to the pinch post and knock down shots.

Kobe has said it himself. Lamar's position in the offense is the most difficult to learn, he struggled with it himself. Can't we just give him some time? Rome wasn't built in a day. I think he is getting more and more comfortable in the offense and that is why his scoring is going up. I just wish they would do a better job of taking advantage of the mismatches in the post. Watching the New Orleans feed on NBATV, those guys were just marveling at Lamar's abilities, and said he's UNSTOPPABLE when he has a foot in the paint because he is so tall. We need to isolate him in the post and make other teams either double team him, or let him go one on one against him.

Oh, and regarding what Kobe said about the fans supporting Lamar, any true Laker fan is going to support any player that is wearing the purple and gold. Honestly, Slava and Luke get more love around here for doing infinitely less for this team than Lamar does. All the negativity needs to stop.

GO LAKERS!

The only thing I don't like about your post is your name and I still respect that.
Awww, how can you not love Karl? He's a warrior, the last of the old school ballers. When he retired, the NBA lost something it will never see again. I was sorry to see him go. I respected Karl's abilities, but didn't particularly like him until he came to LA. Dude just gutted it out, night in and night out. Love his work ethic, his passion, and his dedication. The comment he made about Magic, I'll just chalk that up to ignorance. Alot of people felt that way at the time. Now people know different. Karl has become one of my all time favorite nba players, right behind Magic, of course.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Ireland:
Quote:

Kobe:
Quote:

Of course Kobe is going to be partial, but it is clear by his statement that Kobe wants Lamar on the Laker team. Kobe did not have to go so far as to declare that Lamar "has the potential to be one of the greatest to ever play the game"... he's [Lamar] going to be a monster every single night".

So it seems that Kobe is apparently at odds with a majority of the LG members regarding their opinions of Lamar.

Could it be that maybe Kobe has a little better perspective in that he knows what Lamar is going through as far as learning another type of position for him as well as the fact that Lamar is in the process of learning the Triangle for the first time in his career.

We can see that other than assists, Lamar's numbers are slightly down this year as compared to the last 2 years. Could this be due to the learning curve involved here, and Kobe is full aware of this. Just maybe once Lamar becomes more comfortable with this role and becomes more familiar with the iintricacies of the Triangle he will prove Kobe right. After all Lamar is not only learning a new system that Phil has said many times takes minimally 2 years to learn effectively but is also ultimately learning a new position (role) to play as well.

All of the criticism of Lamar on this board aside, the fact is Lamar is still only 26 years old and has his prime years still way ahead of him. So if Kobe is just half right and we as fans just need to have a little patience in regard to Lamar absorbing the changes required of him then we might just be sorry if the often posted trade demands actually occured. Lamar has generally been a post player in the past so it would seem reasonable to assume that Lamar would need time to learn the more complicated aspected of taking on the "initiator" role that Jackson wants him to do. If Kobe can have the patience it would seem that the fans should have at least as much patience as well.

Time will tell whether Kobe and Jackson's confidence in Lamar is correct as opposed to the views of the majority on this board who think in direct contrast to Kobe and Phil that Lamar is not the answer and is a mediocre player at best.

Somehow I think that maybe Jackson and Kobe might have a little better insight than the fan base for the most part.

Lets not forget the ORG was shopping LO. Also PJ and KOBE b4 the year started said they were going to keep everything behind closed doors.
LO has played great 2 of the last 3 games, but friday will be here and the next etc.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
Lets not forget the ORG was shopping LO. Also PJ and KOBE b4 the year started said they were going to keep everything behind closed doors.
LO has played great 2 of the last 3 games, but friday will be here and the next etc.

The Lakers were shopping Odom? How do you know? Because some out-of-market newspapers, printed quotes from unnamed sources (more than likely agents of other players)?

Please... :roll:
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Ireland:
Quote:

Kobe:
Quote:

How people like you suffer so, when this guy does well is amazing considering that you call yourselves Laker fans...

I just don't get it...

bounty that was uncalled for... You're actually all pissed off aren't you?

Clear that up man. What was the point of this comment. Seriously indulge me on this. At least I may be trying to understand your hatred...
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Wrong, wolf. What's good is that Odom is finally giving people something to be excited about. It's got nothing to do with people finally seeing it, and has everything to do with him finally DOING it. That said, MAJOR ups to LO. He was badass tonight!!!

Couldn't say it better myself.

I love it how the "Lo"pologists love to call anyone a hater that doesn't constantly give him passes and make excuses for his poor/inconsistent play and "Odumb" decisions. All I have ever wanted was for LO to show fire, make good decisions, and show his potential more consistently. LO teases us with nights like this, showing what he is capable of when he puts his mind to it. Unfortunately, more often than not, he reverts back to the typical player that frutrates, just as much as he can excite.

I hope LO can keep it up. But can you really blame anyone for not holding their breath?

A hater wouldn't give Lamar props after a game like this. Lamar gets my props. I love it. We need this from him every night.
Chris Mihm - "...the reason he's been forced to take as many shots as he has is because our offense tends to stagnate and then we just have a tendency to throw him the ball. When we don't keep moving, then he's kind of forced to get something up."
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
bounty wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Ireland:
Quote:

Kobe:
Quote:

How people like you suffer so, when this guy does well is amazing considering that you call yourselves Laker fans...

I just don't get it...

Clear that up man. What was the point of this comment. Seriously indulge me on this. At least I may be trying to understand your hatred...

Nah Go read the game thread. i was very happy, in fact called him the MVp of the game until the 4th hit. He played excellent. So did smush. I have always been a team first guy. Not you remember YOU SAID
"Lo isnt the worst player on the team"
YOU SAID
"Consistency is Overated"
Fortunately Kobe Like myself thinks Consistency is key.
sorry
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
bounty wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Ireland:
Quote:

Kobe:
Quote:

I just don't get it...

Nah Go read the game thread. i was very happy, in fact called him the MVp of the game until the 4th hit. He played excellent. So did smush. I have always been a team first guy. Not you remember YOU SAID
YOU SAID
sorry

Chris Mihm - "...the reason he's been forced to take as many shots as he has is because our offense tends to stagnate and then we just have a tendency to throw him the ball. When we don't keep moving, then he's kind of forced to get something up."
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
bounty wrote:

The Lakers were shopping Odom? How do you know? Because some out-of-market newspapers, printed quotes from unnamed sources (more than likely agents of other players)?

Please... :roll:
Oh c'mon JD, don't you know that newspapers, and especially the writers on the Sports pages would NEVER print anything like that without total confirmation that the stories were accurate!

I mean, a writer like Peter Vecsey, and his first class paper, the NY Post, only print after a tremendous effort to ensure they've got their facts right! And, as we all know, PV has the confidence and inside connections to every NBA front office, and gets every little item straight from the sources involved.

Right?!?
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:

Lamar Odom has the complete game for a PF not a SF.

Too many times have I seen him taking the easy way out and standing around behind the 3pt arc looking for threes or a lane to the basket...

LO plays better when he is closer to the basket on the offensive end because he will finish layups, get tip-ends and grab offensive boards...

Pretty hard to do all that from behind the arc.

I'm glad to see LO has taken the initiative on himself to get down their with the big boys where he can use those long arms and where he belongs.

LO plays well with Kobe when he plays the PF but not the SF....
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

His coach also told him to become more aggressive. Also told him, even if you have to go out of the Tri to score - do it.

So that also helps. He now knows that he must put some more points on the board.

But at the same time, if the ball can't be delivered to him, in an oppurtunity to score - I don't think that's his fault.

I agree with both of you guys...

LO needed to go out and DO what he was always talking about. Good to see that finally happening.

I've always KNOWN that LO COULD do this but I have not had ANY REASON to believe that he WOULD.

I want to support LO. I really do. He goes out and leaves it all on the floor every, EVERY night, he's got my support. I promise.

If not,...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

shiznak wrote:
bounty wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
bounty wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Ireland:
Quote:

Kobe:
Quote:

I just don't get it...

YOU SAID
sorry

Gggeeezzzuusss, it's the "Brokeback Mountain" boys right here on our forum displaying that unity that has made them famous...
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:

shiznak wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Couldn't say it better myself.

I love it how the "Lo"pologists love to call anyone a hater that doesn't constantly give him passes and make excuses for his poor/inconsistent play and "Odumb" decisions. All I have ever wanted was for LO to show fire, make good decisions, and show his potential more consistently. LO teases us with nights like this, showing what he is capable of when he puts his mind to it. Unfortunately, more often than not, he reverts back to the typical player that frutrates, just as much as he can excite.

I hope LO can keep it up. But can you really blame anyone for not holding their breath?

A hater wouldn't give Lamar props after a game like this. Lamar gets my props. I love it. We need this from him every night.

Co-Signed. Lets not act like this is a huge revelation. Lamar has had stretches of games like this before, then he's disappeared for stretches. Its the story of his life. Lets hope the assertive and aggressive Lamar is here to stay because that means playoffs.
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
shiznak wrote:
bounty wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
bounty wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Ireland:
Quote:

Kobe:
Quote:

I just don't get it...

YOU SAID
sorry

Gggeeezzzuusss, it's the "Brokeback Mountain" boys right here on our forum displaying that unity that has made them famous...

:roll: How original.

I guess after making a comment like "Consistency is Overated", I can understand why you would want to change the subject.

KB8LJ23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I've always been critical of Lamar. Because he never seemed to get that he could be a great star in this league. If he would just be more assertive and aggresive. I am starting to see him differently now. It's not just the past 3 games. It's been pretty much 10 games where he is being more aggresive. At times he'll still dissappear but he is starting to make me think that he can play l like this night in and night out. I hope he continues this trend. Lamar going off like this and he and Kobe will make us a better team. Hope it continues. GO LAKERS!!!!
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
Oh, come on. What was Kobe supposed to say? "Lamar Odom is a lost cause and has no place on this team"? The media would tear him apart if he said something like that.

:roll:

Typical hater talk

What didn't he have to say?

I dunno, that LO could be one of the best ever?

That's a huge thing to say. Shows you what Kobe thinks of Lamar's abilties. You better believe he thinks they can work it out as a 1-2 punch.

Most people know or think (including me) that lamar has all the physical tools and skills to be near great if not great. I remember one of the main sports publications (ESPN Magazine- the one with the big pages, I think) - discussing the draft lamar was in - stated that even though Lamar then was not as good as the players drafted above him, he had the potential to be the best overall player in the NBA by 2004 (this in the year before Kobe exploded to 3 championships) . The problem is -he can be, he should be, but he isn't. Its been several years past that draft and a couple of years past the projected breakout year and- Laker fans are still waiting.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

^
Magic said it best.

Kenny said Odom should be a top 5 player and one of the greats. Magic said that's just not Odom. He doesn't have that kind of individual drive. that he will be good but never great.

It sucks in a way. He has talent but has pretty much underachieved his entire career and not really improved the holes in his game.

But for the Lakers, if he can become a 15-17 point, 10-12 rebound. 4-6 assist guy I will be happy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: