Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

If you listen to media reports, you'd think the Lakers were 10 games behind the Clippers. 3 1/2 out of 4th best record (five seed), and only 2 1/2 form that magical 6th seed.

It is possible.
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Maybe......maybe.....
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

but, they are more in danger of going south.. This is a tough month for the lakers.

It is possible.. but, it's also possible for other teams out of the playoff race right now to make a run.

If they win the games they are "supposed to win" and win some of the tougher games, then they could possibly move up to that spot. But, I'm not holding my breath.
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Hey, it could happen!
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

If we beat the spurs on the road, then i'll say fifth seed is a possibility.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject:

6th is probably a better spot, and more realistic than passing the Clips. It just seems like somehow Phill will manage to land this team in the 6-hole, and we'll get Denver at home.

kingdimitry
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

preferably we just make the playoffs and think about the seeding afterwards;
it is true that we are close to the 5th seed, but it's likely we won't get it; more likely that we go south. Of course I want us to make the playoffs, but if it becomes clear that we won't be towards the end of the season, I prefer the Lakers tank to fall below the 3-4 teams that are very close to them--giving them the possibility of getting the lottery pick that Boston will steal from us if it's not in top 8. It hurts thinking that Boston will pick up someone like Reddick for Payton.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
If you listen to media reports, you'd think the Lakers were 10 games behind the Clippers. 3 1/2 out of 4th best record (five seed), and only 2 1/2 form that magical 6th seed.

It is possible.

That's not saying much since there are a thousand teams battling for the 7th and 8th spot. Everybody and their mothers are 3 to 5 games behind the 4th best record in the west.
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

Runway8 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

It is possible.

That's not saying much since there are a thousand teams battling for the 7th and 8th spot. Everybody and their mothers are 3 to 5 games behind the 4th best record in the west.

Exactly. We should be trying to stay in the playoffs. So, yes, 6th seed might provdie us a chance at second round, but who cares. We're not winning anything this year. We just want to get there and give the young guys some experience.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
If we beat the spurs on the road, then i'll say fifth seed is a possibility.

It may be possible as SA will be playing us on a back to back -- they will have to run their guts out against Phoenix the day before.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:

all of the hoopla about the Clips this year, and they have only 2 more wins than us.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

Runway8 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

It is possible.

Everybody and their mother?

Damn... why bother?

Funny... but when I looked at the standings, LA and NO/OKC are 3.5 games behind the 4th best record. Sacramento and Utah are 5 games out... Houston is 6.5, Minnesota is 8.5...

Need I go on?

So who exactly is everybody and their mother?
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Still only 2 games over .500 though, 1 when we lose to the Spurs. But I'm not complaining as of now.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

JD wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

It is possible.

Everybody and their mother?

Damn... why bother?

Funny... but when I looked at the standings, LA and NO/OKC are 3.5 games behind the 4th best record. Sacramento and Utah are 5 games out... Houston is 6.5, Minnesota is 8.5...

Need I go on?

So who exactly is everybody and their mother?

I also said a thousand teams were battling for the 7th and 8th spot. Am I a little off there too? I'm pretty sure 99.9 percent on this board knew I was exaggerating, but thank you for pointing out the obvious. The poster is concerned about the media not giving the Lakers their due and that we're only 3.5 back of the 4th best record. If 2 or 3 losses can drop us to 9th, what's so freaking special about our record? When in the next 8 games, you can move up to 4th or be completely out of the playoff picture, that means that "everybody and their mothers" are bunched up. I'd like to just focus on making the playoffs, period.

Last edited by Runway8 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject:

4th best record or not, our best seed chance would be 5th. That being the 3 division leaders and Dallas/SA ahead of us.
AreaZeroOne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

Ank wrote:
who cares. We're not winning anything this year. We just want to get there and give the young guys some experience.

So if they make the second round , will you not watch to merely see these guys trying to get ahead? Kobe hasn't been in the Playoffs on his own. I hope you don't watch though and miss something special (honestly , stop watching after the season ends).

If everyone else thinks about it (except Ank , who will not be watching) , while we don't have a powerhouse of a cast , we do have Kobe. Not only Kobe , but his opportunity to do something really great on his own (along with LO and the rest) in the playoffs this year , seeing as how last year was a bust in regards to the playoffs. I don't know about most of you , but I feel with Kobe , once in the playoffs , anything can happen (and yes , that includes the Lakers getting eliminated (Yes , they were swept) in the 1st by whomever they match up against!).
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:

Chill, this is a team that cant get too 5 games over .500, or can put together anything more than a 3 game win streak. Correct if im wrong on the win streak though, not certain if we went on a 4 game streak anytime.
Redlight20
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

It is possible.

these guys havent put together a 4 game winning streak for a few months now... 3 1/2 games back for this young team is like 7 games due to their inconsistency night in and night out
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Chill, this is a team that cant get too 5 games over .500, or can put together anything more than a 3 game win streak. Correct if im wrong on the win streak though, not certain if we went on a 4 game streak anytime.

Not sure about the streak. All I know is that we haven't gotten pass 4 games above .500. At 15-11 once and at 24-20 once.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

i think we might have had one 4 game win streak, but it's nothing to write home about
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

I would hope the Lakers get as far as they can, getting the younger players ANY sort of playoff experience.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Not sure about the streak. All I know is that we haven't gotten pass 4 games above .500. At 15-11 once and at 24-20 once.

Were going too need to break through that problem, too have that coveted 6 th seed or its going too be a one and done 5 game series versus spurs or suns. We have kobe I dont think its a strech too expect him too steal a victory for us.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Only 3 1/2 games from the 4th best record in the West

Runway8 wrote:

I also said a thousand teams were battling for the 7th and 8th spot. Am I a little off there too? I'm pretty sure 99.9 percent on this board knew I was exaggerating, but thank you for pointing out the obvious. The poster is concerned about the media not giving the Lakers their due and that we're only 3.5 back of the 4th best record. If 2 or 3 losses can drop us to 9th, what's so freaking special about our record? When in the next 8 games, you can move up to 4th or be completely out of the playoff picture, that means that "everybody and their mothers" are bunched up. I'd like to just focus on making the playoffs, period.

Then when discussing the playoffs, stick to topics that focus on only making the playoffs.

No need to subject people that might wish to focus on moving up the ladder, to your ridiculous hyperbole and even more ridiculous excuses, when caught in that hyperbole.
KB8LJ23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

I don't know if we can get it. Like someone said. We have a tough couple of games. Starting with this one on friday against the champion spurs. I think we played them pretty good at Staples and probably should have won that game if we played better in the 3rd. Now we have to bring it. Sacramento and Utah are gaining on us real quick. We got to stay strong now. And keep playing like we've been playing and we should get a higher seed if we do that.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:

it's definitely possible, but we have to *win*

we can't count on other teams to lose for us to move up...

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: