Smush goes up a notch in my book
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phanb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Smush goes up a notch in my book

Quote:

"I went to work today," Parker said afterward, jamming a hammer into one of the belt loops of his jeans. "I just felt I had to get that play back — a stop on defense or a steal."

The hammer, used by Parker earlier in the day at a charitable home-building event, also served as metaphor for the Lakers.

I know that some of you don't believe the guy is starting material, but that's not the point here... He's definitely a great character on & off the court...

I hope he definitely has found his home and that the Lakers keep him around for years
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:

those back to back steals were just off the hook. major props to him. yeah, i dont think hes starter material, but he'd definitely be a good backup for us next year.

now i gotta ask. wassup with the way he shaves his head? thats just goofy.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject:

ive havnt been as critical off him, hey we could be doing alotttttt worse guys, i happily take 12/3/4/2 from him better than chucky atkins or even fisher at 40 million..props too president smush
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject:

He still gambles on steals too much, instead of concentrating on keeping his man in front of him.

I actually get upset sometimes when he gets more and more steals, and it encourages him to "go for broke" and ignore good, solid man defense.

The fact is, if he doesn't get one of those steals, he leaves his teammates exposed due to his gamble.

I know I'm a little negative on him, but also what's with the "I went to work TODAY." Does that mean he doesn't come to work some days? That he doesn't play hard, or focus like that? His production sure looks that way.

I'm just jaded with Smush and his gambling on D. Add the factor that Kobe does the same thing a little too much these days (and has for the last couple of years) and you see why our perimeter D is getting worse and worse.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
ive havnt been as critical off him, hey we could be doing alotttttt worse guys, i happily take 12/3/4/2 from him better than chucky atkins or even fisher at 40 million..props too president smush

Sometimes he frustrates me on the Defensive end, but he is way better than any of us expected at the beginning of the season. And yeah, Smush>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Atkins or Fisher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

Yes, he looked nice last night and I loved those 2 steals... but I still say he plays too CASUALLY.

- The "8 second" calls
- The lazy, "flat angle" passes
- He rarely puts his hands up to contest jumpers

He needs to play with a sense of "urgency" at ALL times. He needs to be more alert with his passes. And, as some of you have said, he needs to be more selective when going for steals. It's nice when he gets 'em, but when he misses, it's either pennetration/lay-up, or pennetration/Mhim foul.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Smush goes up a notch in my book

phanb wrote:
Quote:

"I went to work today," Parker said afterward, jamming a hammer into one of the belt loops of his jeans. "I just felt I had to get that play back — a stop on defense or a steal."

The hammer, used by Parker earlier in the day at a charitable home-building event, also served as metaphor for the Lakers.

I know that some of you don't believe the guy is starting material, but that's not the point here... He's definitely a great character on & off the court...

I hope he definitely has found his home and that the Lakers keep him around for years

I don't know what his character off the court is, but at least on the court, he shows through that quote that he was really upset about losing the ball the other day in the clutch, and wanted to make up for it somehow. Thankfully, his steal helped seal the deal for them yesterday.

Hopefully, he keeps up his hungry attitude from here on out.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
I know I'm a little negative on him, but also what's with the "I went to work TODAY." Does that mean he doesn't come to work some days? That he doesn't play hard, or focus like that? His production sure looks that way.

I watched the game on NBA TV where they had the Hornets broadcast. At one point, they talked to Bill Walton and one of the things Bill talked about was that the NBA had a lot of people working at a Habitat For Humanity site earlier that day. Bill talked about the former NBA greats that were there. Apparently Smush was there also and did some hammering. I wonder what other Lakers showed up.
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
TG711 wrote:

I watched the game on NBA TV where they had the Hornets broadcast. At one point, they talked to Bill Walton and one of the things Bill talked about was that the NBA had a lot of people working at a Habitat For Humanity site earlier that day. Bill talked about the former NBA greats that were there. Apparently Smush was there also and did some hammering. I wonder what other Lakers showed up.

Good for Smush, I am glad that he showed up. Commendable character. Still doesn't change the fact that he doesn't "come to work" every game day.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

Props to smush...nba tv had him with 5 steals. did he really get that many? Smush needs to realize that this isn't And 1 basketball, this is the NBA and if he wants to be successful at this level, he needs to know when to be flashy and when to be fundamentally sound. He needs to look at how other 'street ballers' have struggled in the NBA (Skip to my lou) and try and avoid that. There's nothing wrong with being flashy, but if you get a reputation for only playing that way, it can hurt you when trying to get a job in the NBA.

Smush also needs experience. Things weren't always roses for Tony Parker either and look how he's turned out. Remember this is his first full season in the NBA. He is kind of like a rookie in his own right, and his first year not only is he the starting point guard on one of the most talked about teams in the NBA but he's trying to learn one of the most dificult offenses there is to learn. Remember this is his first year in the triangle, too. I think he's done a great job, considering all these things, and we need to be patient with him. Maybe he isn't the answer at PG, but maybe he will develop into our answer at PG. Only time will tell.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Smush goes up a notch in my book

phanb wrote:
Quote:

I believe us Laker fans want the Lakers to win so bad now we do not give a player time to develop and as far as Smush this is actually his rookie year in the NBA I know he has played on other teams but not for a full season and if you compare him to some of the rookie guards you would have to say he is having a great year and will only get better. Did Fisher play better than Smush his rookie year? Smush has upside whether he starts or comes off the bench and if he stays will make some big plays in the future as a long time Laker and will have a chance to be better than Fisher in the long term.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

lakerMark: ^^ Great minds think alike!
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:

steals are the worst barometer for defense there is..

look at kobe's steals.. they're way up too, but he's slacking off his man way too much.

when smush gets beat, he doesn't even TRY to recover. it totally messes up the interior defense.. and in case you haven't noticed, point guards have been tearing the lakers to shreds with their penetration and playmaking in the paint.

i still hate him as the starting point guard. would rather have his athletecism coming in off the bench.

he's a great guy off the court and his contributions are admirable, but i want somebody who will stay in front of his man and create shots for others, while shooting consistently.

fact is.. smush gave up 21 and 10 to a rookie pg.. and also, he got beat off the pick/roll when he got the steals.. it's just that the arena was so loud that cp3 couldn't hear him sneak up on him from behind to get the steals.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:

i still hate him as the starting point guard. would rather have his athletecism coming in off the bench.

fact is.. smush gave up 21 and 10 to a rookie pg.. and also, he got beat off the pick/roll when he got the steals.. it's just that the arena was so loud that cp3 couldn't hear him sneak up on him from behind to get the steals.

While I would also like to have Smush come off the bench, who would you prefer the Lakers start? Luke Walton of Sasha Vujacic? The problem is the Lakers don't have many PGs on the team to begin with, so it makes it difficult to bring Smush off the bench.

Also, although its no consolation, the rookie PG has been tearing up the league despite his rookie status. He's fast, he has a good feel for the game, and he has a pretty nice stroke. In today's league, where fast PGs have an almost unfair advantage due to some of the defensive rules, it's difficult to stop those kind of numbers unless you have a fast PG to counter on defense.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:

look at pauls season averages...he does this to a lot of people!
Agar5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

I don't get Smush yet. I like his game but sometimes it is just frustrating to watch him casually turn the ball over. Last night when he jumped up and had no where to go he threw the ball out of bounds. Then he picks up a T after a big jam for saying something to the ref.

I think he will only get better and is the best choice we have for a starter at his position. Is it just me or does Smush seem to get a steal playing his man every game? This was a huge win for the Lakers and am glad Kobe finally got hot.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:

The real question about Smush in my mind is, does he have enough talent to stay in front of the better point guards. He has proven he can make outsdanding offensive plays and some great defensive plays, but unless he can consistently stay in front, stop the ball from getting into the paint and force early passes by the likes of Nash, Bibby, Parker, Kidd, etc., he wil not be good enough to start. He can't do it now - can he learn how in the future? Sometimes it doesn't matter hos much effort you put forth - if you don't have the talent, you won't get there.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
At one point, they talked to Bill Walton and one of the things Bill talked about was that the NBA had a lot of people working at a Habitat For Humanity site earlier that day. Bill talked about the former NBA greats that were there. Apparently Smush was there also and did some hammering. I wonder what other Lakers showed up.

DG, Cook, Walton were at the Habitat site, at least.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

WTF-- Keep (bleep) and complaining about him and then see who pays him 2-3mil ... and then see what we can get to replace him for the tiny salary he earns from us
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
WTF-- Keep (bleep) and complaining about him and then see who pays him 2-3mil ... and then see what we can get to replace him for the tiny salary he earns from us
exactly....he is what most laker fans have been asking for...he is just in raw form...he will only get better...he is a keeper
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Smush goes up a notch in my book

lakerMark wrote:
phanb wrote:
Quote:

I believe us Laker fans want the Lakers to win so bad now we do not give a player time to develop and as far as Smush this is actually his rookie year in the NBA I know he has played on other teams but not for a full season and if you compare him to some of the rookie guards you would have to say he is having a great year and will only get better. Did Fisher play better than Smush his rookie year? Smush has upside whether he starts or comes off the bench and if he stays will make some big plays in the future as a long time Laker and will have a chance to be better than Fisher in the long term.

cosigns
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
Trey wrote:
exactly....he is what most laker fans have been asking for...he is just in raw form...he will only get better...he is a keeper

not to count that no one can make a mistake or miss shots an be forgiven except kobe
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

lateral quickness can neither be taught nor learned. pg's will be blowing by him his entire career.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
At one point, they talked to Bill Walton and one of the things Bill talked about was that the NBA had a lot of people working at a Habitat For Humanity site earlier that day. Bill talked about the former NBA greats that were there. Apparently Smush was there also and did some hammering. I wonder what other Lakers showed up.

DG, Cook, Walton were at the Habitat site, at least.

Every Laker player was there from Kobe to Green. Props to the fellas.
boommic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:

According to the OC Register, Brian Cook, Luke Walton, Rony Turiaf, Devean George & Devin Green were also there with Parker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: