Is it simply just too difficult for Phil to give praise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Anybody notice that Phil was standing on the sideline for a good portion of the 4th quarter last night? I found it hilarious, simply because after every blown defensive assignment or play, he would wave his hands across with disgust. THat's about the most animated I've seen him on the sideline this entire season.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it simply just difficult for Phil to give praise?

TheBigRuski wrote:
Does anyone know how the post-game interviews went with Phil after Michael would just light it up?

Last night, Phil could not even bring himself to say that Kobe had a great fourth quarter...or anything really praiseworthy in general.

Has he always been this kind of schmuck? How hard is it to just simply say what is evident on the court....that Kobe just dominates?

Why praise Kobe for playing his normal game? Honestly , if people demand that Phil praise Kobe, they should ask him to write a book.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Anybody notice that Phil was standing on the sideline for a good portion of the 4th quarter last night? I found it hilarious, simply because after every blown defensive assignment or play, he would wave his hands across with disgust. THat's about the most animated I've seen him on the sideline this entire season.

It was funny.

You could see how angry he was getting with the Lakers inept defensive execution.

I mean they literally had the game in the bag many times but refused to close it out defensively.

Phil needs to realize that his only rebounder is Odom. And he was dead tired in the 4th. Phil needs to play Kwame and maybe Andrew Bynum more towards the ends of games (Mihm and Cook less) so we will have more defense inside for both post defense and boxing out (making it easier for Lamar or Kobe to come in and grab some boards).

Also, we missed Dev. George's defense in critical situations (be it a rebound, man d or even some help) has been excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I think Phil played Kobe and Odom the whole 3rd and 4th quarters. He really wanted this game and coached it like it was the playoffs. The Hornets were on the court celebrating in the 3rd and then got a dose of the NBA top dog in the 4th and left the gym with an idea of what a superstar is all about. Kobe all Heart, West was good in the 3rd but could not finish the deal. Odom has been playing at a high level also and the team has actually been playing good ball with recent wins over Detroit, Sac, and Hornets all playoff contenders.
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

In conclusion (so far), it is normal behavior for Zen practitioners to show little or no emotion.....

bummer!
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

First it was Ronnie Turiaf not high fiving Kobe now it's Phil doesn't praise Kobe :roll: If Kobe didn't have a great fourth quarter he would have played a pretty poor game for his standards. His cold play for three quarters and great fourth canceled eachother out so no I didn't see any reason for praise. Phil would have probably praised him if he played a great complete game. Phil is not an overpraiser if you haven't noticed. It's part of his whole image thing.
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
First it was Ronnie Turiaf not high fiving Kobe now it's Phil doesn't praise Kobe :roll: If Kobe didn't have a great fourth quarter he would have played a pretty poor game for his standards. His cold play for three quarters and great fourth canceled eachother out so no I didn't see any reason for praise. Phil would have probably praised him if he played a great complete game. Phil is not an overpraiser if you haven't noticed. It's part of his whole image thing.

Is there ANYTHING you would give praise for? Perhaps a sunny day after a rainy one? Or you child hitting a single after striking out three times? Or is praise basically "not cool" in your eyes?

I don't mean to get personal, but you said you didn't see ANY reason for praise.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Ruski Phil loves you to!
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Ruski Phil loves you to!

Ya, we kinda have a love/hate relationship!
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

TheBigRuski wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

Is there ANYTHING you would give praise for? Perhaps a sunny day after a rainy one? Or you child hitting a single after striking out three times? Or is praise basically "not cool" in your eyes?

I don't mean to get personal, but you said you didn't see ANY reason for praise.

NO because it sets the wrong precedence. Praising Kobe for a game like that might set the wrong example. I would have praised Kobe for a strong fourth quarter myself but for Phil I don't think he should have. That just lowers the bar. That was a game that we lost the lead, came back, and squeaked one out. Not something to jump for joy about. Obviously there were some positives but If Phil praised KObe for everything he did he would be Rudy T. It's part of him getting into the mind of players. If he doesn't praise Kobe in Kobe's mind he thinks well coach didn't praise me so I'll show him I'll play even better. On the other hand you have players like Kwame who constantly need to be praised. It's part of who Phil is. I don't want to see Phil turning into some soft sensitive shmuck. The best coaches in the games are all tough love guys. Pop, Phil, LB, Avery you name it.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Also you don't hear too much of Stu Lantz praising steals because steal stats can be misleading. There were a few games when Kobe was gambling too much and that was basically what he was implying without being critical. It's a lot of mind games with Phil.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Phil is not one to easily give praise to anyone.

Just ask Jeannie:

Jeannie: "Wow, Phil, that was the best sex we've had in years. I think I even did things I never knew I could do. Was it also so good for you as it was for me?

Phil: "Hmmm, let's see...the spacing could be better. Your ballhandling could use some improvement. Maybe because of your small hands. You took a lot of bad shots, too. The behind the back was totally unecessary..."
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it simply just difficult for Phil to give praise?

TheBigRuski wrote:
Does anyone know how the post-game interviews went with Phil after Michael would just light it up?

Last night, Phil could not even bring himself to say that Kobe had a great fourth quarter...or anything really praiseworthy in general.

Has he always been this kind of schmuck? How hard is it to just simply say what is evident on the court....that Kobe just dominates?

I'm not sure Phil even watches the games.
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NO because it sets the wrong precedence. Praising Kobe for a game like that might set the wrong example. I would have praised Kobe for a strong fourth quarter myself but for Phil I don't think he should have. That just lowers the bar. That was a game that we lost the lead, came back, and squeaked one out. Not something to jump for joy about. Obviously there were some positives but If Phil praised KObe for everything he did he would be Rudy T. It's part of him getting into the mind of players. If he doesn't praise Kobe in Kobe's mind he thinks well coach didn't praise me so I'll show him I'll play even better. On the other hand you have players like Kwame who constantly need to be praised. It's part of who Phil is. I don't want to see Phil turning into some soft sensitive shmuck. The best coaches in the games are all tough love guys. Pop, Phil, LB, Avery you name it.

^ hmmm, interesting. I thought it was cool to say "nice game" once in awhile....didn't know their was a whole head trip about it.

Maybe Phil should right a book. "How to Play Mind Games with Your Players".

Chapter 1
Avoid Giving Praise When at all Possible
doughboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Phil is going to be Phil a mechanical walking, clotheshanger shoulder zen freak. Phil won't even give his parents praise for bring him into this world
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

^ not bad....for a rookie!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:

Just ask Jeannie:

Jeannie: "Wow, Phil, that was the best sex we've had in years. I think I even did things I never knew I could do. Was it also so good for you as it was for me?

Phil: "Hmmm, let's see...the spacing could be better. Your ballhandling could use some improvement. Maybe because of your small hands. You took a lot of bad shots, too. The behind the back was totally unecessary..."

Classic

Don't forget:

Phi: " I'd like you to pbe a little more aggressive in the post area"

Jeanie: "I think you're a little soft"
40yearlakerfan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject:

lionballer7 wrote:
I think Phil is hard on Kobe because Kobe still needs improve his shot selection and distributing to the open man(trusting his teamates). Maybe he thinks that if he praises Kobe, Kobe will diminish the criticism.

This is so old hat. I get so sick of it. Are you reading some idiot sportswriter? Have you been watching the games lately or what?
For that matter have you been watching the games for years?
Do you have any idea what Tex Winter had to say on this subject?
Kobe's assist stats have been consistently pretty damn good in spite of the fact that his teamates generally can't hit shots on a consistent basis.
As to trusting his teamates, what nonsense. A lot of us get frustrated watching him pass up shots only to see a brick from someone else. How many of these guys he's playing with had better years elswhere? Maybe Odom, but that's questionable. He seems to finally get his game together with Kobe.
pinoyfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Praise for WHAT?

One good game against ten more lousy games...???

We are barely holding on to the 8th spot of the playoffs? Why would Phil be happy about THAT?!

This is not having one good game and lousy games thereafter...this is not about scoring 80 points...this is not about individual achievements..the NBA is only about one thing... A CHAMPIONSHIP!

Guess Phil knows we are way way off being a Championship contender!
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Winners expect to win. Phil is a winner and doesn't jump up and down for every layup made (unless is was by Fisher). But Phil does use his "praise" or lackthereof as a tool with his players probably more than I have ever seen from a coach.

However, this season (especially of late) I find it funny to see how much more active Phil has been on the sidelines. You can tell he definitely wants to make the postseason.

Jake Speed, 1986
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:

Just ask Jeannie:

LOL
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

From the OC Register:

Quote:

But Jackson said Bryant is making excellent decisions overall this season.

"He knows the scoring is the major part of what he has to do for us, yet most of the time he's staying within the context, trying to help the guys get going, and then feeling out his game," Jackson said. "Before, I felt that Kobe at times played the game to how he felt his disposition. Now he's playing the game as a leader, and he has done a great job of it."

LINK

Happy now, Ruski?!
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
Winners expect to win. Phil is a winner and doesn't jump up and down for every layup made (unless is was by Fisher). But Phil does use his "praise" or lackthereof as a tool with his players probably more than I have ever seen from a coach.

However, this season (especially of late) I find it funny to see how much more active Phil has been on the sidelines. You can tell he definitely wants to make the postseason.

Its new trying to make the playoffs. he and Kobe seem to be the only guys aware of the situation and how one play can turn things for the worst or better
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: