Should Byron Scott's Jersey be retired?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Byron Scott's jersey be retired?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 31 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 55 ]
Not Sure
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
There are other player jerseys that should be retired before Byron
17%
 17%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 110

orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

yellowledbetter wrote:
no. The rafters should be reserved for the very best of the best. If we retire Scott, we have to retire Coop, Wilkes, Fox, Horry, hell maybe even DFish. No way. Have a special night to honor him if they haven't already done that (maybe the next time the Hornets come to Staples) like they did with Fox to recognize his time in LA.

Agreed 110%
doughboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

You know it
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:

I know that Byron Scott was an integral part of the Showtime teams for much of the 80s, but he wasn't a "great" player or HOFer like Magic, Worthy, or Kareem. If you retire Scott's number, you might as well retire the numbers of Jamaal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, Cooper, or even Bob McAdoo. I'm sorry, even though I'm aware of how important each of those guys were and what they did, they just weren't great enough to have their jerseys retired.

I will say, however, that Luke Walton is making a travesty of Scott's old jersey number. At least make Walton wear a different number, or better yet, just get him off the team somehow. I'm sick of him being a liability at both ends of the floor.
WestCCa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Coop will get his number retired before Scott.

Scott was good for a time, but look at the players whose numbers are hanging in the rafters.

All but Gail Goodrich were part of the 50 greatest players list.

We don't retire anyone's number because they were a fan favorite, they have to have been a star.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject:

No. Good player, but the jersey honor should be reserved for legendary players. You can imagine Showtime without Byron; you can't imagine it without Kareem or Magic.

SGH
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: No friggin way

Does anyone remember the dialogue leading up to James Worthy's Jersey Hanging? There were a lot of folks who thought it shouldn't be up there... that he was into a grey zone leading to a slippery slope that had the potential to open the flood gates, so that the meaning of those jerseys on the wall became diluted.

I disagreed, because I thought "Big Game James" was a slam dunk inductee into the "Wall of Fame". He didn't get the "Big Game" moniker for nothing. Often, when the rest of the team was going flat, he was the guy who pulled them out with post-ups, baby hooks, drive-dunks, tipped balls, rebounds, saves, steals, etc. He was absolutely at his best in the biggest games when the team needed him most. Second to Magic in that department, but not by much.

Byron had a great career, and was very important to those teams. He was also somewhat inconsistent, and I can recall a few big games where he really didn't come through in the clutch.

That is not to besmirch his career, or denigrate his magnificent accomplishments. But it is an illustration of what separates those whose jerseys occupy the wall, or should occupy the wall from those whose jerseys should not be there.

We could discuss raw numbers, all-star appearances, etc. etc. but this is an issue that requires a more intimate and less quantifiable aspect of the player's career in order to make this judgement.

Was Byron Scott a great player who should be remembered and revered by Laker Fans for years to come? Absolutely. Does his jersey belong on the same wall as the others already occupying that space? No. It isn't even close.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject:

Those of you who have pointed out that the only retired jerseys belong to Hall Of Famers are absolutely correct. That is the team's policy. They only retire numbers of players who are in the Hall Of Fame or a lock to get there.

Byron Scott, while he was an integral part of Showtime, does not fit the team's criteria. I don't believe the team should be opposed to making an occasional exception to that policy however, and if they ever did the first number that should be retired of a "non-HOFer" would be Michael Cooper's No. 21. He is the only player besides Kareem and Magic to play for all 5 championship teams of the 80s, and he was absolutely a vital part of all of that history. He deserves to be up there IMO.

I believe George Mikan's number is retired on a special banner they hung a few years ago honoring the Minneapolis Lakers, but I can't remember for sure if it's his number or his name (or both) on that banner. But yes, his No. 99 should never be worn be another Laker.

As for Shaq, I don't think his number should be retired unless he issues a formal and public apology to Dr. Buss and the Laker organization for all of the ridiculous slander he has tossed around the media about same. The little hug-fest with Kobe before the last Lakers-Miami game was all well and good, but much of it was calculated PR BS on Shaq's part IMO. He spent more than a year going out of his way to publicly damage the Lakers brand at every opportunity. That should not be forgotten by the organization.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:

I don't think there is a formal team policy about the hall and jersey retirement. Has anyone seen this in writing or heard it quoted from a Laker official?

That being said, no Byron doesnt deserve his jersey retired for all the other reasons given. I'd retire McAdoo and Cooper before Byron, but neither of those guys will have their jerseys raised either.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
I don't think there is a formal team policy about the hall and jersey retirement. Has anyone seen this in writing or heard it quoted from a Laker official?

That is the team's policy as set by Dr. Jerry Buss himself, and Dr. Buss himself communicated that to me in a correspondence from several years ago.

I had written him to express my opinion that Michael Cooper's number should be retired, and he graciously wrote me back and explained the team's policy.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:

That is the team's policy as set by Dr. Jerry Buss himself, and Dr. Buss himself communicated that to me in a correspondence from several years ago.

I had written him to express my opinion that Michael Cooper's number should be retired, and he graciously wrote me back and explained the team's policy.

Well there you have it.
BigGameYimmy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:

Well there you have it.

Interesting, but too bad because I think Coop and maybe Horry might deserve a spot. Scott? Not before those two, although maybe ahead of Horry. Nonetheless given the standards laid down by Mr. Buss nope.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Horry might deserve it just for The Shot.

Still the greatest buzzer beater I've ever seen in the five decades I've been watching the NBA.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

BigGameYimmy wrote:

Interesting, but too bad because I think Coop and maybe Horry might deserve a spot. Scott? Not before those two, although maybe ahead of Horry. Nonetheless given the standards laid down by Mr. Buss nope.

I think maybe Coop deserves it as much as Byron, but not necessarily more. Coop wasn't ever a regular starter with the Lakers. Byron was the starter most of his years as a Laker, until he left for Indiana.

Horry, sorry, but he was definitely only a role player on the championship teams. An important role player, but just a role player. Coop and Byron are higher on the former-Laker totem pole.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:

Cool, I am sure you do not mind scanning that correspondence into a viewable image do ya? Otherwise some might doubt the veracity of your claim. Oops, too late.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:

Cool, I am sure you do not mind scanning that correspondence into a viewable image do ya? Otherwise some might doubt the veracity of your claim. Oops, too late.

You'll just have to trust me. I have the letter matted and framed and it hangs on the wall of my office. Them that doubts it, have at it.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:

hmm...then I think I'm going to write him and kindly ask why #99 isn't hanging....

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

4evARaBRUIN wrote:
Former Laker players in HOF

Kareem- retired
Elgin- retired
Wilt- retired
Goodrich- retired
Magic- retired
McAdoo- Not retired (HOF for time with Braves obviously)
Mikan-retired
West- retired
Worthy- retired

As much as I like guys like Coop, Wilkes, and Dynasty and my brother's beloved Byron... it is hard to put them in that class.

Next Laker jerseys to be retired will be 8 and 34, imo.

Prolly true.

I wouldn't be blown away or disappointed if B.Scott's jersey was retired,
but I wouldn't count on it either.

I thought I remembered hearing a couple weeks ago that Mikan's jersey
is NOT retired.... how is that?
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:

Also note: I don't think Snaq's Jersey should be retired either -ever. Unless he makes a public apology to the Laker fans, the city, the owner, his teammates and Kobe.

The voice of reason has spoken. However, even if Snaq does apologize, it won't be from the heart. Hmmm...what if he apologized, went on ESPN, took out an ad in the LA Times, etc, and then Buss played him and said, "Snaq, go to hell!"
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:

I LOVE old B, but NO.

Getting a number retired by the Lakers is the most select fraternity in basketball. You have to be among the absolutely disgusting best ever at your position, or at a minimum, a clear and undeniable symbol of your historic greatness at that position for this franchise.

In other words, if you have to explain it FOR LONGER THAN 5 SECONDS, forget it.

B was a great guard, but I just don't think he's earned the wall. Give him a jersey plaque like DFish and Fox. Come on, we can't be like the Celtics and give out retired jerseys with gold watches and pension plans.

MIM
doughboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

For the 17,505 time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
LakeShow09
LG Multimedia Team
LG Multimedia Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:

nope.. if you retire his then you have to retire Horry, Cooper, Glen Rice, etc.. all important role players but not superstars
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: