Do you want this team to stay together and grow or do you want to see a new look Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Do you want this team to stay together and grow or do you want to see a new look Lakers?

Is Lamar just lost in the triangle or his own passiveness? He has been playing pretty well as of late and Kobe's recent comments that it's a matter of time before he figures out the puzzle. Is Lamar just teasing us or do you think the light will go on in his head soon?

Smush Parker has shown flashes of being a pretty nice player. He's bounced around the league for some time and I don't think he's had the institution to develop completely as a player. If he can work on hid D and mid range jumper he can be a pretty nice player. Remember Fish was a horrid shooter when he first entered the league.

Andrew Bynum is probably two-three years from really contributing. Anyone who has lifted weights knows it will take him some time to develop some major strength and also how to utilize it. That being said are you willing to wait until we land in the free agent market? Everyone says we are a player or two away from being an elite team. There's obviously some gaping holes on the roster but do you really want to see a wrecking ball put to the team and there's no guarantee even with changes that we'll be better.

My question is do you guys want to see some major changes or maybe some minor tweaks while we try to land a free agent. Our players of vaule would probably be Odom, Mihm, and Bynum. Who stays who goes and how do you think this team will look come next year or how would you like it to look?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see the current guys stay together. Move Mihm or Kwame+pieces for a guy like Boozer. Any 2-way PF. Grab a defensive stalwart at 1 like Banks.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Depends on if they get to the playoffs and what they do once they get there. No point in not making changes if they can't get into the playoffs.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers need a PG, and an upgrade at the SF position.

Some argue that we need a big man, but I just don't see the need. Kobe is the best post player in the league anyways, and Lamar can play very well in the post also though we have only seen flashes of it this season. Mihm, Kwame, Cook and Bynum also can play the post very well.

We need a player like a younger Jim Jackson, or a better DG to play defense and shoot open looks at the SF position.

A PG upgrade over Smush and Sasha would help alot also. I think we could trade DG and Luke Walton and maybe a draft pick for a better overall SF, or a good PG and pick up a player for the complete 5mil MLE, or vice versa.

I think DG's good days are behind him, and I don't think Walton is a good fit in LA, hopefully some teams will show interest in both of these two players this summer so we can upgrade at SF and PG.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see much of the core stay together, but with a trade to add an impact player. I'd actually like to keep Kwame Brown (man defense in the post is too valuable) and Lamar Odom, and trade Chris Mihm and a re-signed Devean George for some help.

I suppose the best answer is this: Depends on who is brought in and at what price. If it improves the team now and in the long term, then make the move.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Get rid of Kwame, but and add some players, but the core is somewhat decent. Odom would be an ideal 3rd scoring option who outrebounds and out-assists anyone at his position. I'd take Smush as my backup PG. Some additional beef on the frontline - particularly a post scoring presence would be nice. Add a lockdown perimeter defender.

OK, I've noticed all the pieces I just said that need to be added . Realistically we can't get those pieces without moving bodies, so I guess I'm suggesting an overhaul now...
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Keep:

Odom--for rebounding, facilitating, #3 scorer
Mihm--rebounding, good salary
Kwame--for rebounding, defense
Smush--backup point guard
Bynum--center of the future

Am I forgetting anyone?

Get a reliable #2 scorer and and some tough defenders.

Fill the roster with competitors who hate to lose.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Scherm wrote:
Keep:

Am I forgetting anyone?

you think we can get a reliable #2 scorer, tough defenders, and competitors who hate to lose without giving up one or most of those guys you want to keep? Not gonna happen. You gotta give something to get something.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I trade anyone if it's an upgrade in talent (with health and age not being an issue)

Personally, I think Phil will lobby to keep his current starting lineup. Phil will probably want some of his bench players dealt so that he can get more depth and interchability in his starting lineup.

The Triangle is run quite well with this current starting lineup. That more than anything is what will limit how much Phil is willing to deal them.

Phil's list to Mitch IMO

Kwame (Still lost on offense and has lost starting job under Phil)
Miami #1
Bynum (won't happen but Phil would probably deal him for someone that can help significantly right away)
Mckie (last year crap)

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

What time frame are you talking about? I think after this team has a full year under its' belt Phil and us will have a much better idea of what needs to be done and who needs to be moved. Most of the time getting an average player or two will have no real impact. Make them better but not push them over the top. I am hoping 2007? 2008? plan to get super star works. But remember, even then, we had Shaq 4 years before Lakers won it all. Hate to say it, but takes time to build a championship team. The good news is, Buss has done it before.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I would like to keep the core Kobe/Lamar/Bynum/Smush and add to it. The key is roster spots Devean, JJ, Devin Green, and maybe Wafer open up spots for us to fill in the summer. Although Buss will not go over the cap for our current team if we make the post season will he do it to bring in 1 more elite player. We are a PF away from being a top 5 team in the League. Kwame I believe will stay he has been finishing more games than Cook and Mihm. Try to give Mckie away and sign a guard like free agent Bobby Jackson, replace George with a guy like Tim Thomas, Bonzi, Peja, Radmanovic, or resign George. Compete with Pistons for the services of Ben Wallace. Check on Carlos Boozer availability or try to get Chris Wilcox for cheap.

Last edited by lakerMark on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
itstdt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

move Sasha to backup SG, he is shooting better than Devin Green...
get a starting PG in front of Smush Parker...
like someone said before, get a younger Jim Jackson...
I don't mind getting Boozer if we are not giving up Kobe/Odom/Bynum/Mihm
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

KoOdBoEm wrote:
move Sasha to backup SG, he is shooting better than Devin Green...
get a starting PG in front of Smush Parker...
like someone said before, get a younger Jim Jackson...
I don't mind getting Boozer if we are not giving up Kobe/Odom/Bynum/Mihm

1- Sasha will need to add 10 pounds but I think that's the best role for him
2- MLE - Marcus Banks? Mike James?
3- Boozer would probably require Mihm and Cook.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Keeping this team together to let them "gel" would result in early playoff exits from here to infinity. If guys like Smush and Cook are still starters next season, and Sasha is still the first guard off the bench, hello early playoff exit!!!!

Also, I don't get how they are supposed to get an impact player than can legitimately improve this team with some of the players people are listing as keepers. You gotta give to get, team's don't want junk.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Keeping this team together to let them "gel" would result in early playoff exits from here to infinity. If guys like Smush and Cook are still starters next season, and Sasha is still the first guard off the bench, hello early playoff exit!!!!

Also, I don't get how they are supposed to get an impact player than can legitimately improve this team with some of the players people are listing as keepers. You gotta give to get, team's don't want junk.

Agreed.

But there are some wildcard players on this team.

Bynum
Kwame

What can we expect from these guys in the next 1-2 years?
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Ask me again at the end of the season. If Lamar can keep playing aggressive simply because he was told to then I may change my opinion.

Tradeable guys in my opinion should be George, Mihm, Cook, Kwame, Sasha, possibly Smush. Would be open to move Lamar depending on his play the rest of the year and the player he could bring.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

My wish list:

Keep:
Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Smush Parker, Ronny Turiaf, Von Wafer, Sasha Vujacic*, Devin Green*

Waive:
Puke Alton, “Milk Carton” Mckie

Trade:
Devean George, Chris Mihm

Pickup/Acquire:
Laron Profit, Rookie (1st round), Rookie (2nd round), Veteran PF/C (via trade), Veteran PG (FA pickup)

* = Trade/waive bubble
LakerFan4Lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
My wish list:

Keep:
Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Smush Parker, Ronny Turiaf, Von Wafer, Sasha Vujacic*, Devin Green*

Waive:

Trade:

Pickup/Acquire:
Laron Profit, Rookie (1st round), Rookie (2nd round), Veteran PF/C (via trade), Veteran PG (FA pickup)

* = Trade/waive bubble

VG point guard.... None other than J kidd
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
My wish list:

Keep:

Waive:

Trade:

Pickup/Acquire:

* = Trade/waive bubble

Agree with most of this ^ post. I do like to re-sign George as the teams vet coming off the bench. Although I'd prefer to have someone else other than Sasha as the back-up guard, I don't think we can get anything of value out of trading him. I also agree in re-signing a healthy Profit, and going for a 2-way PG & a vet PF/C.

Re Bobby Jackson, I'm not suportive of this choice, too many health issues in the past. We don't need another potential waste of our MLE or LLE. I'd rather this team acquire a healthier or younger guard. Probably Banks or Duhon (the latter via trade, though might be costly).
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Keep the core, just add some free agents like Peja and Claxton, who are consistent scorers and Peja could be the legit second option.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
trmiv wrote:

Agreed.

But there are some wildcard players on this team.

Bynum
Kwame

What can we expect from these guys in the next 1-2 years?

I COMPLETELY agree. We really don't have a high talent level with this core group of guys, & outside of Bynum, I think the upside collectively of this group is pretty low, too. Honestly, I think we'll probably have to wind up trading Odom IF we can get a mega-superstar (aka the KG deal, which is more likely than people think).

As for your question, wolf, I think that Kwame's basically a Brian Skinner-type: a really big, strong guy who can be somewhat of a tough guy sometimes, can have pretty good games, but will NEVER be an offensive force. Ever. You can't go from missing POINT BLANK layups THAT badly & being THAT TERRIBLE on offense to being a scorer & the light suddenly going off in your 4th-5th year in the league. Just doesn't happen. I'm of the opinion that, after about 3-4 years in the league, you have a good idea of what kind of player a guy is, & he's set in stone from there.

As for Bynum, I think that on skill alone, it's hard to determine how good or bad he'll be. But when you factor in his size, which is HUGE (7'2" 270), and, most importantly, his desire to be good, mental toughness (dunking on Shaq, holding his own vs. Duncan), intelligence (as per reports from Kareem, Phil, Tex and others), and work ethic (per reports from all of the previously mentioned), he'll be pretty good. My money says he starts 20 games next season. I'm looking for a quantum leap-type summer from him. In two years? I say 15ppg, 10rpg 2apg 2bpg. Ultimately, I see him as a guy that can give you about 18 & 11 & be a good passer & shot-blocker. We'll see, though...
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
As for Bynum, I think that on skill alone, it's hard to determine how good or bad he'll be. But when you factor in his size, which is HUGE (7'2" 270), and, most importantly, his desire to be good, mental toughness (dunking on Shaq, holding his own vs. Duncan), intelligence (as per reports from Kareem, Phil, Tex and others), and work ethic (per reports from all of the previously mentioned), he'll be pretty good. My money says he starts 20 games next season. I'm looking for a quantum leap-type summer from him. In two years? I say 15ppg, 10rpg 2apg 2bpg. Ultimately, I see him as a guy that can give you about 18 & 11 & be a good passer & shot-blocker. We'll see, though...

Just reading and thinking about Bynum's potential gives me *goosebumps*

Last edited by orwell on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Depends on if they get to the playoffs and what they do once they get there. No point in not making changes if they can't get into the playoffs.

I concur. If this team can get to the playoffs and do some damage, I think it would do nothing but raise the confidence of this team for next season.

As we all know once you get to the playoffs...anything can happen.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

You make the move that will upgrade the roster the most.
KG, T-Mac, J. Oneal, Bosh - blow it up.

Otherwise, Keep KB, KB2, LO, Bynum and Smush (Laker value >>> trade Value).
Everyone else should be offered up to get a Starting PF (Boozer? S&T for Harrington?)
MLE - PG

Add Boozer or a Harrington along with an MLE signing of a good PG?
KB2 / Bynum
Boozer / Turiaf
LO / Walton
KB / Profit / JJ
M. James / Smush

Now we're making some noise! (very shallow though)
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Scherm wrote:
Keep:

Am I forgetting anyone?

you think we can get a reliable #2 scorer, tough defenders, and competitors who hate to lose without giving up one or most of those guys you want to keep? Not gonna happen. You gotta give something to get something.

Well, that's who I'd LIKE to keep. To get rid of any of those core guys, I would hope the Lakers come away with a better fit around Kobe's talents, not just a lateral move.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: