Who do you think we could get for Mihm?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Who do you think we could get for Mihm?

Kwame seems increasingly comfortable at center. Turiaf seems like he might be ready to be a reliable backup bigman with Bynum possibly ready to take a consistent role by the middle of next season.

Colangelo commands respect in Toronto, so I don't see Bosh leaving anytime soon. Ferry is doing a great job in Cleveland, so I don't think LBJ is going anywhere. In 2008, Kobe will be 30 and Phil Jackson gone. It seems like our best chance at getting at a low-post scoring option is via Mihm this summer.

Apparently, the Jazz thought they could get more than him for Boozer. Will that change over the summer, especially if the Jazz miss out on the playoffs? On the other hand, Boozer's been playing well since he returned. Do we have a chance with Mihm as the primary trade bait? Who else is out there that we might have a shot at?

Personally, I hope the team ditches the cap space dream and signs our future starting PG with a 5-year MLE offer (Terry and James seem out of reach, but Banks would be sweet) and then gives George a new contract. Just like that, we'll have our core with 2 years to develop under Jackson.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

Is this year's MLE going to be halfed because of McKie???
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

Ben Gordon for Mihm and a 1st rounder??
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

#32MaGiC wrote:

I don't know man, going big for small is usually a bad idea.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

#32MaGiC wrote:

No No NO
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
#32MaGiC wrote:

the whole "never a big for a small" is a fallacious argument, i wish people would stop using that as their sole reasoning for burning up someone's trade idea. Does that mean you wouldn't trade Brian Scalabrine for Ron Artest? I like Mihm and he does a lot of things well, but he's not an impact player and we've been playing pretty well with him only giving us 20 something minutes a night. Ben Gordon can flat out SCORE. He is a #2 that would be deadly with Kobe. He is super clutch in the 4th quarter. Having him and Kobe on the same team, the Lakers could close out every 4th quarter. It'd be like having Mariano Rivera and Eric Gagne (before injury) on the same team.
Vlade_Divac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I'll give you a bagel and a chai tea latte' for Mihm.

My girlfriend calls him "Mihm the Meaningless."

That's a venti chai latte.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Ben Gordon is a bad idea simply for the reason that he doesn't really solve a need for us - low post scoring. Cook and Kwame starting with only Turiaf and Bynum to backup is just...
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I would like to see Mihm at PF before we think of trading him for a PF or in fact for anyone who can't average 15 ppg. He has pretty good moves around the basket and with Kwame at center, he doesn't have to play the shorter, stronger, or massive guys that can move him out of the paint. He could be a 15point 7 rebound PF as long as he avoids foul trouble which he should be able to do with Kwame starting at C and backing him up at PF together with Cook and Turiaf. If Kwame gets into foul trouble, Bynum can back him up a C. Mihm at C is just average at best because he can't hold his position against shorter and more massive guys like Sweetney. Mihm at the PF in the triangle might end being pretty good.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I think that as time passes, Mihm will be expendable.

Next year we'll have a confortable bigman situation with Kwame/Bynum at C and Cook/Turiaf at PF.

Mihm is a nice keep until Bynum develops, but if by next season Bynum is ready, Id trade Mihm for a PG a deal Id like would be for Eddie House or Leandro Barbosa, of the Suns.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:

Next year we'll have a confortable bigman situation with Kwame/Bynum at C and Cook/Turiaf at PF.

Mihm is a nice keep until Bynum develops, but if by next season Bynum is ready, Id trade Mihm for a PG a deal Id like would be for Eddie House or Leandro Barbosa, of the Suns.
lol maybe for Barbosa but no way for house.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

House's scoring 10 ppg in 17 mins, what do you think he would have with 30? Id say at least 15/4 with 2 steals.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
uberzev wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

House's scoring 10 ppg in 17 mins, what do you think he would have with 30? Id say at least 15/4 with 2 steals.
You don't trade a decent starting center for a undersized backup SG.
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Mihm's salary is relatively cheap for servicable big men. I think the Lakers should hold onto him until Bynum is ready to play consistent minutes as the starter. I wouldn't mind the Lakers signing Mihm to an extension at $4.7M per. He has the Triangle experience and he would be a great backup center for this team in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
uberzev wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

You don't trade a decent starting center for a undersized backup SG.

Thats why I said IF Bynum develops, and the tri doesnt require a pure PG, in fact, all of Phil's PGs were SGs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

i don't want to give up mihm.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Mihm in a package for Boozer is still realistic. Boozer hasn't been bad, but he's hardly showing that he's worth his contract. 9 & 7 on the year, plus big contract, slowed a ridiculously long amount of time over injuries that weren't that serious, and questions of character, don't typically make teams jump at paying you 60+ million per year. The Lakers would do it, though. Boozer is attainable and assuming we don't nab one of the 5 all-star/superstar players who will be available, Mihm should be used to acquire him.

As for those advocating trading Mihm, whose an athletic 7 footer putting up 10/7 at 3 mill per season (cheap) for Ben Gordon who only scores but is awful at everything else, is not smart. It isn't fallacious to say you shouldn't trade big for small. It's absolutely a true rule of thumb. The only time you veer from it, is if you're acquiring a star or a player who gives you too much versatility to ignore (or if you have a lot of good bigs already). Otherwise, it's like saying that Ben Gordon's 6 pts per game (what he averages on the year over Chris Mihm), is worth the additional rebounding, post presence and shot blocking we'd lose in the trade. Sorry, but I'm not buying that at all. Mihm is our only consistent low post scorer. You don't trade him away for yet another perimeter one.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what exactly, but it better not be less than a bonafide starter. If we can't get a two-way PF - then I rather just keep him and have depth at the C position (I don't think more than 2 teams can boast about depth there)

Jam - Boozer sounds nice, but the problem with CB is his K. I actually rather wait out another year and go after Dirk or Bosh with capspace over the idea of paying Booz that much money.

But then again, Booz could be a rebounding tough guy that is just pissed off in Utah. If he is the Booz of Cleveland - then I think he is worth it.

My mind for some reason always fluctuates on the Boozer issue. Sometimes I want him, other times I worry about his K. I just don't know which Boozer we would be getting.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
I would like to see Mihm at PF before we think of trading him for a PF or in fact for anyone who can't average 15 ppg.

Don't you think Mihm already gets in enough foul trouble? Play him at the 4 and he would live on the bench.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Kwame has 2 decent games in a row and already you think he should start instead of Mihm? Do you say "I love you" on the 2nd date? Kwame will never ammount to the player Mihm is right now and Mihm gets a lot better each year.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I don't know what exactly, but it better not be less than a bonafide starter. If we can't get a two-way PF - then I rather just keep him and have depth at the C position (I don't think more than 2 teams can boast about depth there)

Jam - Boozer sounds nice, but the problem with CB is his K. I actually rather wait out another year and go after Dirk or Bosh with capspace over the idea of paying Booz that much money.

But then again, Booz could be a rebounding tough guy that is just pissed off in Utah. If he is the Booz of Cleveland - then I think he is worth it.

My mind for some reason always fluctuates on the Boozer issue. Sometimes I want him, other times I worry about his K. I just don't know which Boozer we would be getting.

I can see your point, but the only reason I'd still go after Boozer, is becasue right now is the time when he can be had for less than what his true value really is. The guy is a bonafide 17/10 post player, which is worth that contract. He's been out a year and is rusty and needs time to get back into a rythym. He has pissed off the Jazz and is, therefore, available. Especially if they're out of the playoffs. He'd have all summer to work back to himself, and we all know he is DYING to play for the Lakers. That eagerness would likely drive him to return to the Boozer who played for the Cavs - and that guy was a monster.

I'm also a big proponent of increasing the talent base and since Boozer would also address a need we have to add a consistent low post presence and is more talented than any player we'd trade to get him, I'd have to go for it. I don't want to blindly sacrifice the present for the future, especially when it's not necessary. I mean, it's one thing to not want to pay too much of your future for the present, but it's entirely another thing to trade lesser pieces for a greater impact guy.

Who knows what will happen. There are a lot of impact players - some great - who will be available. I'm pretty curious to see what we're looking at come training camp next season.

Last edited by LakerJam on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
Kwame has 2 decent games in a row and already you think he should start instead of Mihm? Do you say "I love you" on the 2nd date? Kwame will never ammount to the player Mihm is right now and Mihm gets a lot better each year.

Considering DEFENSE wins championships and Kwame's post defense is better than any player we have, including Mihm, you're being awfully silly in reducing Kwame to nothing more than chump change.

Too many don't seem to appreciate the glamorouslessness, yet necessity, of having a superb post defender. Kwame may not be a consistent performer on offense, but he's valuable because he gives us a legit player with the strength, speed, quickness and athleticism necessary to combat the elite big men in the west. Even if most of us can't seem to appreciate that. Defense might not be pretty or stand out to you, but it DOES matter big time - especially in the post and especially in the playoffs. I have yet to see Mihm be as effective defensively against Yao, Shaq and Duncan, the way Kwame Brown has been - and that amounts to crap to you? I like Chris as a player, too, but I'd trade him over Kwame in a heartbeat - especially if the player coming back could score the ball.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Mihm is not a PF

Kwame has more potential then Mihm, but Mihm is better right now bc he has a better post game and is jus as good of a defender imo

It would be hard to trade Mihm for anyone bc its hard to get talent at the C position.

I doubt anything drastic will happen with Mitch and the Lakers this summer
roflwtflolomg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Sage_10 wrote:
#32MaGiC wrote:

the whole "never a big for a small" is a fallacious argument, i wish people would stop using that as their sole reasoning for burning up someone's trade idea. Does that mean you wouldn't trade Brian Scalabrine for Ron Artest? I like Mihm and he does a lot of things well, but he's not an impact player and we've been playing pretty well with him only giving us 20 something minutes a night. Ben Gordon can flat out SCORE. He is a #2 that would be deadly with Kobe. He is super clutch in the 4th quarter. Having him and Kobe on the same team, the Lakers could close out every 4th quarter. It'd be like having Mariano Rivera and Eric Gagne (before injury) on the same team.

when was ron artest a small?
showtime1308
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Start Mihm at 4 and Kwame at the 5. Cook is a serious liability defensively and Mihm fits the tri better at the 4. He can shoot the rock pretty good as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: