Seventh Seed is nice and all.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Seventh Seed is nice and all.....

But we gotta either hope Memphis slacks off so we can take the six seed or we hope that we can make the playoffs with the 8 seed. We match up horribly with Suns and we can pretty much gurantee a loss in the first round. If we get 6 and play the Nuggets I'm pretty confident we get past them. As far as playing San Antonio or Dallas it's unlikely but hey we have a shot. All I know is that we gota get out of this seven seed quickly
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Great point
I agree
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Imagine beating the nugs first round then the first place mavs in the 2nd round making it to the west finals.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Making the playoffs is the goal. Anything else is gravy.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
Making the playoffs is the goal. Anything else is gravy.

No doubt, but since we do have a realistic chance to pass Memphis, especially considering how we've been playing defensively, there's nothing wrong with aspiring to the 6th seed.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:
Imagine beating the nugs first round then the first place mavs in the 2nd round making it to the west finals.

thats the perfect scenerio that I have been dreaming about
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Man, we can beat the Spurs. We can beat the Mavs. We can beat the Pistons. But we cant beat the Suns.
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

6th seed is always better than 7th. It's a step in the right direction and I think we deserve it not the Grizz.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm with you all on this, but hopefully the team just focuses on winning.

Pie in the sky -- but i'd love to see a double digit winning streak to cancel out last seasons double digit losing streak.

It'll be the best way to bolster chances of free agent signings in the near future, and maybe make the right marquee player try to arrange a trade here, or decide not to pick up an option or extend for the chance to play here.

It helps avoid some anxiety and suffering to adjust expectations, but i'd rather the focus be on winning every game we can, than try to focus so much on the standings. Its not a god mindframe when a team questions the value of winning to increase its lottery chances or avoid a matchup in the playoffs.

After all, even if its for the future, players need to compete against the best to sharper their playoff experience and test themselves so that they can eveolve into a true championship contender.

taking the easy path might make for better stats, but if our path was soft..that would affect how we look back on their accomplishment anyway.

How much more would it mean to take on the best and pull off a victory, than being given an asterisk for having played the softer opponents to advance?

i say just go for it all, every year. No matter who is in their way.
JuiceMonkey
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seventh Seed is nice and all.....

lakerfan4life wrote:
But we gotta either hope Memphis slacks off so we can take the six seed or we hope that we can make the playoffs with the 8 seed. We match up horribly with Suns and we can pretty much gurantee a loss in the first round. If we get 6 and play the Nuggets I'm pretty confident we get past them. As far as playing San Antonio or Dallas it's unlikely but hey we have a shot. All I know is that we gota get out of this seven seed quickly

theres a chance we pass memphis because we're only down 2 to them in the loss column. we are actually 1 1/2 games behind them, not 2 1/2 like has been reported here. but their schedule is easier than ours. but watch out for the clippers, theres an outside shot they could faulter down the stretch, they have a much harder schedule than we do or the grizzlies do filled with many tough road games. outside shot we can pass them. maybe even a better shot than passing the grizzlies, they have something like 6 straight home games coming up.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

wow, looking at my own sig, I see we are only 3.5 games behind the Clippers, and just 1.5 behind the Grizzlies, if we keep up the good play we will be alright
Odom2Kobe2Kwame
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:

drew4lakers wrote:
Pie in the sky -- but i'd love to see a double digit winning streak to cancel out last seasons double digit losing streak.

It'll be the best way to bolster chances of free agent signings in the near future, and maybe make the right marquee player try to arrange a trade here, or decide not to pick up an option or extend for the chance to play here.

As far as pie in the sky, the Clippers are only 3.5 games ahead of us. I wouldn't mind passing them too and then either doing really good against Dallas/SA or actually beating them. That would go a long way as far as team confidence/chemistry and luring free agents. Either scenario is fine with me. Denver in the 1st round or the 5th seed and a shot to show our stuff against Dallas and San Antonio.

We can't be blamed for not getting the 4th seed in a rebuilding year when San Antonio and Dallas are battling out the 1st/4th thing and the Suns are hotter than ever. It would however help our free agent draw if we were the better team in LA not the ballclippers.

We should play balls out the rest of the season. It's an unusually easy April for us. We should be taken advantage of this considering it's taken the rest of the season to gell this much.

Last edited by Odom2Kobe2Kwame on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

the 6th spot is where I feel most comfortable at for us, and to me our best shot at winning and advancing, however I won't mind us getting the 5th seed to face the Mavs, we can beat them too, but for that to happen the Spurs will have to win there division.... we don't need to face the Spurs in the first round
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

We'll be a half game back off memphis on sunday night. We will beat the sonics, and memphis will lose too a desperate philly team.
JuiceMonkey
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:

kobe2mike wrote:
the 6th spot is where I feel most comfortable at for us, and to me our best shot at winning and advancing, however I won't mind us getting the 5th seed to face the Mavs, we can beat them too, but for that to happen the Spurs will have to win there division.... we don't need to face the Spurs in the first round

we probably would prefer to end up on the other side of the bracket, away from the 2 best teams. ive thought from the beginning of the year this team has got a shot at the wcf if we could land in the right bracket. rite now we're in there, but denver would probably be a better first round matchup for us than phoenix. i still think phoenix would be a beatable team in a 7 game series, especially with phil, but it would be better to get them 2nd round. the other bracket is tough, i doubt we would be able to get through both dallas and san antonio just to get to the wcf. 6th seed would be the perfect position. but, we would need to pass either the griz or clippers, but not both. griz have by far the easier schedule, clippers have a tough schedule but have 3 fewer losses. lets hope things break rite for us.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

kobe2mike wrote:
THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:

Nah perfect is getting the 8th seed, Suckramento getting the 7th and Dallas having the first seed. Then we beat Dallas and we beat either Denver or Memphis, Suckramento gets swept by the Suns, the Suns and Spurs battle it out for 7 games and then the Lakers get a worn out team in the WCF.

Hooray Mitch!!!!
JuiceMonkey
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

kobenbynum wrote:
kobe2mike wrote:
THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:

Nah perfect is getting the 8th seed, Suckramento getting the 7th and Dallas having the first seed. Then we beat Dallas and we beat either Denver or Memphis, Suckramento gets swept by the Suns, the Suns and Spurs battle it out for 7 games and then the Lakers get a worn out team in the WCF.

thats not how the seedings go. we would have to play the spurs if we got by dallas in the 2nd round.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

We're not winning a championship this year, so the Lakers shouldn't worry about who they're playing. I'd like to see them play the Nuggets, but this squad needs to cut it's teeth on a good playoff team. It's actually to their benefit to get waxed. It's like the Lakers pre-Phil when they'd get whupped by the Jazz every year. They need to know what it means to play a monster squad in the playoffs. Rooting for the easiest route through the playoffs could be detrimental, if they get into the 2nd round, it might make management think that this team doesn't need to be improved.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

tenguygrst wrote:
kobenbynum wrote:
kobe2mike wrote:
THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:

thats not how the seedings go. we would have to play the spurs if we got by dallas in the 2nd round.

Read again man.

I said Dallas gets the top seed and the Lakers get the eight seed. So we face Dallas in the first round. The Spurs would be the fourth seed so we wouldn't have to face them until the finals.

Hooray Mitch!!!!
JuiceMonkey
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
We're not winning a championship this year, so the Lakers shouldn't worry about who they're playing. I'd like to see them play the Nuggets, but this squad needs to cut it's teeth on a good playoff team. It's actually to their benefit to get waxed. It's like the Lakers pre-Phil when they'd get whupped by the Jazz every year. They need to know what it means to play a monster squad in the playoffs. Rooting for the easiest route through the playoffs could be detrimental, if they get into the 2nd round, it might make management think that this team doesn't need to be improved.

the ceiling for this team is and has always been very high. so many talented players that just need to be blended together and to play up to their potential. we are finally seeing that late in the season and because we have the ultimate tiebreaker in any series, kobe, we could do a lot of damage. im kind of with u on that i probably dont think we could win a championship this year, but, making it to the wcf and giving the spurs a tough series would only improve the mindset of the team going into next season. and management would probably open its eyes and improve the roster to get us over the hump. that being said, i still dont think we've seen the best from this current squad, but we will in playoff time.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

God i missed Kobe so much during last year's playoffs!
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Hey, the deeper we get, the more games we get to watch. I don's see us getting a ring either, but it shure would be nice to see what Kobe can do in the playoffs for a few series.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Those 2 losses to Memphis at home due to inept last minute defensive execution

Add 2 wins on our end (we led both times in the last minute) and deduct 2 games from them and notice where tht puts us ...

Young and Dumb teams
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
statman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

kobenbynum wrote:

Read again man.

I said Dallas gets the top seed and the Lakers get the eight seed. So we face Dallas in the first round. The Spurs would be the fourth seed so we wouldn't have to face them until the finals.

That's not how it works.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

ill just be happy to make the playoffs right now. I trust Phil and the team to have something in plan if we have to face the Suns.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: