Anyone notice Cook's statline this year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asherisaac
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone notice Cook's statline this year?

8.4 ppg in only 20 mpg, but with 53% from the field and 43% from behind the arc! He leads the team in both FG% and 3P%, and is 2nd in FT% behind Kobe! He has been an incredibly efficient scorer for us this year. A very good triangle fit IMO.
Kuroro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Also gives up 2 O rebounds a game.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Cook's problems are on the defensive end. He's getting better at holding position in the posts, however he doesn't anticipate very well. He's also VERY reticent with the pick and roll. Most of the times, he won't show enough. This leaves him in no-man's land and more than likely leaves a guy open for the jumper AND a guy open for a layup. This is also where Mihm picks up 1 or 2 of his fouls each game, moving over late to cover the guy Cook let dive to the basket unimpeded
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Cook's problems are on the defensive end. He's getting better at holding position in the posts, however he doesn't anticipate very well. He's also VERY reticent with the pick and roll. Most of the times, he won't show enough. This leaves him in no-man's land and more than likely leaves a guy open for the jumper AND a guy open for a layup. This is also where Mihm picks up 1 or 2 of his fouls each game, moving over late to cover the guy Cook let dive to the basket unimpeded

Agree.

He is pretty good at sacrificing his body and drawing charging fouls

But he does that too much, he seems to be a step slow a lot of the time and needs to pitch in on the boards more.

He has picked up his game overall this year and by all accounts worked hard in the off-season so props to him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

JD - Excellent analysis.

Very accurate and true. The only reason I don't want Cook starting next season is his defense.

Offensively - the guy is so valuable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

yeah..cookie is the man..and seems to be the guy Kobe trusts to shoot..even more so than LO..
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
JD wrote:
Agree. He is pretty good at sacrificing his body and drawing charging fouls But he does that too much, he seems to be a step slow a lot of the timeand needs to pitch in on the boards more. He has picked up his game overall this year and by all accounts worked hard in the off-season so props to him.
He has been TORCHED by a couple players in recent games and PJ has tried to strategically substitute him during various games with mixed results. As stated above, when he is in "No Man's Land" (in the P&R) - he is absolutely useless and he doesn't effectively board! As Wolfpaclaker stated, he is valuable "offensively" - but when LO is in a groove, even Kwame is scoring
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I like the starting lineup alot, Cook and Odom are interchangeable at the 3 and the 4, and Mihm is the anchor which makes this possible...
lakerfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Next year he could be starting and putting in 10pts 10boards and 5 asst every night.
showtime1308
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

play some defense buddy. Thats what we need at the 4 spot. Unless he suddenly becomes about 10x more athletic then he can play the 3.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:

lakerfan4life wrote:
Next year he could be starting and putting in 10pts 10boards and 5 asst every night.

Cook's upside as a starter IMO

13 points
6 rebounds
3 assists

Noway I see him ever being a double-double guy, though I would love to be proven wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Cook isnt very good at defense but he helps space the floor out for the starting lineup so he is somewhat useful. Actually his defense is horrible and the other teams PF usually just attacks him and theres nothing Cook can do to stop it. I also hate
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

i was always a cook defender. not because i thought he was going to be great - moreso because i thought he should be given a chance.

he took that chance and worked his ass off in the summer. it shows in the production that he has given this season. if he continues to work like that, i could care less if he has physical limitations. those are the type of players you want on your team. the onus is on the coaching staff to understand when and when not to use him.

that said, let's see what he can do defensively after another offseason of hard work this summer.
Mostwanted
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Cook will never start on a team that has real title aspirations. He just can't defend well enough. Good at sliding at taking charges but suspect at everything else.

If he is doing 13 and 6 he will be giving up about 23 and 10. IMO.
Manu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I wish Cook could play off the bench, but it seems like, even if he got 20mpg off the bench, he doesn't play as well...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

I don't know that Cook is that bad defensively. He was a starter against the Spurs. He and Kwame did a good job on Duncan.
boricua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

The guy can shoot man, he's our best outside shooter besides Kobe, but his defense make him a liability sometimes
The Kings are unbeaten in 10 home games since Artest's arrival, beating opponents by an average of 16 points per game. The Kings have won 14 of their last 18 overall, with their opponents' scoring average and shooting percentages all dropping sharply.
scottie2hottie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

He gives up more points than he scores. He's only good for spot minutes. i would not start him.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

He's a very good offensive player but just as much as he contributes, he's just as bad on defense.
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Contract year wonder part 2025258. He's putting more effort to his game than ever before, so improved stat lines come with it. Though this is the first year he really has gotten PT. So nothing too surprising in there. The question will be, whether he goes for the max money he can get or stays in the town, which would be nice. I hope though that the Lakers ain't gonna pay him those absurd amounts of money other teams will offer him.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakerfan4life wrote:

Cook's upside as a starter IMO

13 points
6 rebounds
3 assists

Noway I see him ever being a double-double guy, though I would love to be proven wrong.

IMO, his offensive upside is a lot higher than 13. The problem is his defensive liabilities hinder him from getting more minutes.

Cooks real value is as trade bait. This value will be realized this off-season when he is traded for a athletic defensive player such as G. Wallace.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

10/10 and 5 assists?

This is not NBA Live.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
He's a very good offensive player but just as much as he contributes, he's just as bad on defense.

Which is why he should be a backup.

Teams ussually start their best offensive players. Matching up with the 2nd unit probably gives Cook a lesser of a defensive assignment.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Which is why he should be a backup.

Teams ussually start their best offensive players. Matching up with the 2nd unit probably gives Cook a lesser of a defensive assignment.

Yes, but sadly he starts for this team.

Also, what's up with the 10/10/5 prediction?
Does that guy think Brian Cook's the next Boris Diaw?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Coiok wil get minutes with Mihm out and Kwame sifting to center. Hopefully, the extended PT will help him get a good rhythm.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: