Brown Still Green

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Brown Still Green

Brown still green
Former No. 1 pick turns 24
By Ross Siler Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - Kwame Brown turned 24 on Friday, young by one NBA standard, old by another, and didn't hesitate to say which he felt more like on his birthday.

"Young bull," Brown said.

If Brown had gone to college for four years, like players of a previous era, he would be a rookie in the league right now. Instead, Brown turned pro out of high school, was the No. 1 overall pick, and is nearing the conclusion of his fifth season.

As hard as progress has been to measure with Brown, who came into Friday averaging 5.9 points and 5.8 rebounds in his first season with the Lakers, Phil Jackson did not seem to think he is close to a fully formed player.

"He's just a learner," Jackson said. "He's in his learner phase. We marvel sometimes at his game. He plays great at moments. At other moments, he'll miss a shot you'd think that no one could miss."

Jackson added that he doesn't expect Brown to have a breakthrough moment on the court, but rather a gradual process of getting better.

Nobody is expecting any problems, but the NBA might have to do some creative scheduling if the Lakers and Clippers both make the playoffs for the first time since Staples Center opened.

If neither team is able to secure home-court advantage in the first round, the arena could host playoff games on four consecutive days in April or even an afternoon/evening doubleheader.

Jackson said forward Luke Walton has been bothered by soreness in his feet.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

good game by kwame,shows how valuable he is and how valuable he will be in the playoffs
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

The good news about Kwame is that he's only 24 and has 2-3 years more before he's supposed to "get it" in his prime.

The bad news is that he has been in the league 5 years almost and doesn't look signifoicantly better. Hopefully Jackson can streadily increase his knowledge of the Triangle and value as an elite athletic role player the same way Phil brought along Devean as a Laker role player.

If eventually, Kwame can give us what Devean does (Energy, defense, athleticism and inconsistent offense) It would be cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I liked his post game comments. He's very articulate and also confident with his progress. You can tell he's been absorbing what the coaching staff has said to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Kwame looks so bad for a rookie. He actually would be looked upon quite nicely if this was his rookie season as it should have been. Imagine, a first year player handling the likes of Ben Wallace, Shaq & Duncan the way he has. Just imagine the thought of a rookie playing them straight up. The league, and Laker fans, would be maveling at the tremendous promise he shows. Some players choose to goto college to improve their games. Kwame chose to do that learning in the league and isn't far off from where I'd have antcipated him being at age 24 if he had indeed gone to college. If I was 18 years old and someone said "Do you wanna goto college and get a degree that you'll never use and potentially get injured along the way or....Take this guaranteed $50million. Hmmmmmm.... Call me silly, but I'm taking the guaranteed $50million. If I get injured during the ensuing 4 years I can afford to put myself through college if I desired. As much crap as he's gotten, Kwame made the right decision from a LIFE perspective. Could he be a more developed player having gone to college? DEFINITELY. But he could have also been injured, or never really developed in the college game either. The NBA isn't the only place where people fail to live up to expectations. Then where would he have been?

The difference between Kwame going to college or not in terms of basketball is about a year or so at most. He'd be about a year ahead of where he is right now. A year ahead and $50million lighter in the pocket.
Kwame made the right choice.....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

in only 23.3 minutes a game in six games coming off the bench Kwame has averaged 6.7 boards a game in March...

As Stu likes to say: NAAAHHHIICE
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: