Jim Jackson's 5 total minutes have made a huge impact. The 8th seed is better than 7th. What an exciting season! (MY FIRST POST)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfast8
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Jim Jackson's 5 total minutes have made a huge impact. The 8th seed is better than 7th. What an exciting season! (MY FIRST POST)

I've been a Lakers fan since 1988. I only found this site a few weeks ago and I love it. I quickly replied to a prior post, but this is my first real post.

I hope that Jim Jackson can get some more minutes. Did you notice that Luke and Sasha have been playing better ever since the Lakers acquired Jim Jackson? They didn't want their minutes taken away. Even though Jim Jackson has only played a total of 5 minutes, he has made an impact on the team. Before the trade, I didn't think that Sasha didn't deserve to be on an NBA roster. I didn't think that Luke deserved to be playing more than 2 minutes a game. Now, they are playing better.

If we can't get the 6th seed, I don't want the 7th seed. The 8th is better than the 7th. I don't like how we match up against Phoenix. They are so fast. Nash can penetrate anytime he wants and kills us everytime. I would rather play San Antonio or Dallas. Dallas would be the better matchup of the the three. But, I think we match up better with San Antonio as opposed to Phoenix. Kwame's value to our team shows up the most when he d's up Duncan. I'm glad the Lakers didn't double Duncan as much as they did last week. Kwame does a GREAT job by himself.

Anyways, I think this has been such an exciting season. It's been such a roller coaster and you never know what to expect. That 5-1 roadtrip earlier in the season was so great and unexpected. There have been so many special wins this season. (Miami, Dallas x 2, Kobe's 81, Detroit, San Antonio, New Orleans) We also had a few stretches that were so disappoing. (especially Atlanta in our house) The championship years with Kobe and Shaq were great, but the regular season wasn't as exciting. You always expected them to win. That made the wins less special.

Thanks for reading my first post.
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

We have two more chances to prove we can beat Phoenix or else that seventh seed will be a ticket out of the playoffs. But another way to look at it is if they manage to upset Phoenix in the first round, they'll very likely make it to the Western Conference Finals.

That's a big IF obviously. First of all, the Lakers need to prove they can beat Phoenix in these next two games.
Warm Fuzzies
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I think we can beat the Spurs in a game, but not in a series. They have too much time to prep and expose Kwame. I would take my chances against Pho over SA in a series. The spurs to me is the epitome of a playoff team. They know how to play series simple as that. The Lakers just need miracles if they wanna make it to the finals.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to LG. I've noticed most of the same things you have. I would prefer the Nuggets in the playoffs, but getting in is the first step. I think the suns will outrun us, and the spurs will pick us apart. Its nice to feel a playoff buzz around here. Go Lakers!
Warm Fuzzies
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Welcome to LG. I've noticed most of the same things you have. I would prefer the Nuggets in the playoffs, but getting in is the first step. I think the suns will outrun us, and the spurs will pick us apart. Its nice to feel a playoff buzz around here. Go Lakers!

nuggets in the profile would be the BEST for us. but that's only if we get that high, unless Nuggets go on a tear. Imagine if we play the clippers?? LOL homecourt advantage would be so weird. I bet Laker fans out-number the Clipper fans.
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I wanna see more Jim Jackson. But with Luke playing well, I don't know...
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:

wELCOME
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm beginning to think that Jackson might not have a lot left in the tank.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:

From a fan since 1961 (I was very very young then ) to a fan since 1988.

WELCOME!

I would generally agree with you your analysis of the post season matchups. Especially if Amare is playing at 80% or better. But I would include one caveat regarding the Suns and that is we actually did do very well against them last year if I recall correctly.

I am much more hopeful as a result of our inspired play of late for a real long shot Cinderalla season where the Lakers actually knock the socks off the BB world and end up going deep into the playoffs from a low seed in the playoffs.

You never know...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I'd actually rather the Lakers face Phoenix in the first round than SA, as long as Amare isn't back. Even though we beat them last night, I don't see how we have any real chance of beating them in a 7-game series. They have too much experience, confidence, and defense for us. Phoenix is real good, but we may have an outside chance of beating them. Kurt Thomas is out for a while, Nash has that bad ankle, they're always concerned about him wearing down by playoff time, and the Suns don't have much experience, not to mention size and defense.

The best case scenario for us though would be Memphis finishing bad and the Lakers getting the 6th seed. We'd probably play Denver then, which should be a winnable series for us. Getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs would be a very successful season for us IMO.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Welcome jfast8!!... Now, you have one more place, to express your opinions, on this roller-coaster ride...

I agree, Smush, Sasha, in fact, the whole team, seems to be playing with more intensity, since J. J. joined the Lakers... I think Phil has got to find more PT, for Jimmy. I thought, that when Kobe was struggling, it would have been a nice time, to bring in J. J., for a few minutes, let Kobe calm down a little, and get it back together...
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Jackson's 5 total minutes have made a huge impact. The 8th seed is better than 7th. What an exciting season! (MY FIRST POST)

jfast8 wrote:

..............If we can't get the 6th seed, I don't want the 7th seed. The 8th is better than the 7th. I don't like how we match up against Phoenix. They are so fast. Nash can penetrate anytime he wants and kills us everytime. ...........

excellent post!

low post, half court game will dominate in the playoffs.

if we take 2 games from either phoenix or SAS, I'd consider it a win.

however, JJ offers the lakers a "coach on the floor" with regards to preparing for the Suns (during practices). JJ's been helpful and probably be even more helpful in the coming weeks, once he gets comfortable with his teammates.

I would think that his oncourt knowledge of PHX will facilitate the teachings of coaching staff in preparing for the Suns.

JJ also offers an actual shooter in practice that makes shots. aside from kobe, our guards do not give the opposing practice team enough defensive challenges. remember, slava was basically non-existent during practices.

the higher level of practices will give the younger players a HIGHER level of game preparation.

I already saw the results of improved game preparation, in the guarding the perimeter shooters (vs. the spurs).

however, we NEED to get better, brent barry had TOO many open treys (and to a lesser degree michael finley).

needless to say, we are improving.

tease or actuality?

I think beyond the "hint of a tease," we are actually gaining consistency.

main problem: there aren't many days to practice; so attentiveness of each player is critical.
LakersRBack21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Is anyone else as frustrated as i am the way Phil always screws with peoples.
Everytime we pick up some veteran who we think is a key pick up he never lets them get off the bench. i.e. RIder,Richmond,mckie, and now Jackson.
I cant stand Phil sometimes. Maybe thats why we cant seem to pick up people because they dont want to deal with Phil.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to LG jfast8. GO JJ!
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject:

LakersRBack21 wrote:
Everytime we pick up some veteran who we think is a key pick up he never lets them get off the bench. i.e. RIder,Richmond,mckie, and now Jackson.
I cant stand Phil sometimes. Maybe thats why we cant seem to pick up people because they dont want to deal with Phil.

Rider and Richmond reduced their minutes by their OWN play.

I don't blame Phil for a second in either case, and both times it resulted
in championship seasons.

But hey, maybe you know more about hoops than Phil :roll:

McKie was reported all through training-camp to be the slowest of the
entire team along with Wafer at picking up the triangle.

So he kinda shot himself in the foot too, and speaking of such things, the
guy's been injured all season - can't blame Phil for that.

As for JJ - as some have said, for all we know he's lost a step. His
numbers this season were drastically worse than last year with the
Suns.

That said, I think JJ might still have something left and his situation in
Phoenix had simply soured after his confrontations with D'Antoni.

There's a reason the guy's been on umpteen teams over his career.

If he's got anything left, Phil will give him his chances to earn (EARN)
some minutes.

But just like the others, earning those minutes is on JJ, not on Phil.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

Welcome. Nice first post.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

LakersRBack21 wrote:

Phil is unorthodox.
In his coaching style, in his basketball philosophy, in how he motivates his team, in how he deals with the media, opponents, management, even his personal relationships are unusual.

He does seem to "screw with people".

Many of the veterans who come into the system do have a difficult time assimilating, and it some may realize these things and not want to play for him.

However, he has proven that it works, he has shown that he can improve individual players and teams by always preaching the same basketball system. Not just the triangle, but an overall mindset of what they are trying to accomplish minute by minute, game by game, month by month, always building toward the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see how this current team will respond the rest of this month and next, and see how far will the young players will progress. With the right matchups in the playoffs they could surprise some people. And if they get up to the 5h or 6th seed, there will be some nervous teams not anxious to play the Lakers in the first round (and maybe the second...)
coop-a-loop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject:

We will most probably lose a 7 game series against San Anton and Phoenix. But I agree with the view that San Anton will be a better matchup. There is a small (very small) chance that we could upset and cause problems forSan Anton.

Duncan is not the same player he was last year, because he does not look 100%. We have the bodies to be physical with him. We have also shown that if you wear down Tony Parker in the post, his game suffers on the offensive end.. Lamar is also a msmatch problem for Manu, Finley, and Bruce. I also like how our team was able to deny Parker and Manu'spenetration. Like in the 2004 WC Semis, give the Spurs the 3 pt J, allow no penetration from Tony, and post up Tony on the lowblock, and you will cause Poppovich some problems.

Phoenix though is a mismatch for us. Marion is a handful and Odom has problems against 3s like him and Garnett. Nash can also penetrate our defense at will, and if we help out to deny his penetration, their shooters are deadlier than the San Antonsnipers. I also do not know if we have the depth to keep up with their style of ball. it will be interesting to see how we approach Phoenix, tactically, in our next matchup with them.

I think we can beat Dallas easily. As well as the otherWC teams, assuming Odom plays the way he has been playing of late.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:

My preference out of the top 4 in matchups

1- Denver
2- Dallas
3- San Antonio
4- Phx

So yes, I rather have the 8th seed than 7th in this case but the best would be that 6th.

So in terms of seeding it's looking like

1- 6th
2- 8th
3- 7th

Kinda wierd to understand, but it does feel that way watching this season unfold.

Though considering the goal and all - just making the playoffs would have been a step in the right direction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThaLakeShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

LakersRBack21 wrote:

This is what really irratates me.

"Everytime we pick up some veteran who we think is a key pick up he never lets them get off the bench."

WE may think JJ's role should be taking away some of Walton's minutes, some of Sasha's playing at least 10 mpg. However, how do we know that is what Phil and the organization intended him to do when they signed him? Perhaps they just wanted some veteran leadership in the lockerroom? Maybe they wanted to force the other bench players to work harder so JJ wouldn't steal their time? Don't you think that Phil knows what he is doing, and if JJ is ready enough to play, he would be playing?

(not a personal attack on you, just on the whole general thing)[/b]
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: