smush: posting up/inside game.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: smush: posting up/inside game.

the one thing i loved about the first half of the spurs game last night was smush being aggressive. the majority of smush's shots as of late have been open three pointers, midrange shots, and a fastbreak or aggressive move to the basket once a game.

smush has great handles and should really take it to the basket more often. last night there were about 4 plays where he blew by his man and used his length to get the layup. he's got the quickness and length to convert those layups and he'd be much better off taking it off the dribble more often. he's an on and off shooter from beyond the arc, and his midrange shot is there one game and gone the next. if he's creating his own shot i'd like to see it near the basket as opposed to a jumpshot.

he's 6'4 with long arms. i've always wondered why he didnt post up smaller guards ever. i think thats inpart to the triangle and the fact that he doesnt have the strength of a chauncy billups who can bully people around. either way i'd like to see smush post up smaller guards more often. he was simply toying with tony parker down there. the best part about last night was we took care of our advantages.

1. lamar posting up smaller players (usually commands an automatic double team), and taking weaker players off the dribble.

2. smush aggressively splitting defenses/ kobe taking it to the baseline where he is oh so dangerous.

3. actually executing a semidecent inside outside game. we won that spurs game because of one thing, points in the paint. we have the shooters outside cook, sasha(sometimes haha), and kobe where if lamar, smush, and mihm aggressively attack the basket we can either convert on easy shots or get an open outside look.

typically the two most reliable things in basketball are a solid defense, and points in the paint. we need to move away from being reliant on 3pt shots and take the ball to the basket or post up our players who have good moves/size advantages down there (mihm, lamar, kobe and even smush if the situation is right).
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Smush is our best finisher other than Kobe and it would be great to see him attempt more shots around the basket.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Phil use to post Harp on smaller guards too. Finally they start using Smush in there, it's about time.
kobeodom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

smush looked like a best in his first few shots.

but dont forget, parker is a weakling
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it's ashame how alot of teams don't expose Tony Parker's defense down low.
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:

yeah tony parker is horrible. It's about matchups, and smush did the right thing bullying that (bleep) frenchman down low
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Now, you know why Phil Jackson likes big guards.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:

When TP is forced to play D, big guards abuse him all day long. Looks like Phil made the same adjustment he did with Payton vs. the Spurs in the 2004 playoffs.
dwonderful
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject:

he is best against shorter people
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:

TP got Smushed.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: smush: posting up/inside game.

they-perch wrote:
...i've always wondered why he didnt post up smaller guards ever. i think thats inpart to the triangle and the fact that he doesnt have the strength of a chauncy billups who can bully people around. either way i'd like to see smush post up smaller guards more often. he was simply toying with tony parker down there. the best part about last night was we took care of our advantages.

He did a great job in the post last night. In fact, he played a pretty well-rounded game within the offense. I think if you look back at the beginning of the season to what he did last night within the confines of the system, there has been a lot of growth. He's finding more of a comfort zone on where he can attack...whether off pinch posts, weakside curl cuts, post-ups...it was a much more well-rounded read and react game from him.

Quote:

1. lamar posting up smaller players (usually commands an automatic double team)...

He doesn't post up with enough consistency yet to command and automatic double team. I mean, they will double...but not as soon as he gets the ball. If he abuses his man more in the post and people were more used to that as part of our attack, he would get more "automatic" doubles.

Quote:

typically the two most reliable things in basketball are a solid defense, and points in the paint. we need to move away from being reliant on 3pt shots and take the ball to the basket or post up our players who have good moves/size advantages down there (mihm, lamar, kobe and even smush if the situation is right).

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
Yeah it's ashame how alot of teams don't expose Tony Parker's defense down low.

I agree, but when you look down the line of starting point guards in the NBA, there just aren't many who have the size or toughness to post up in the paint. Kidd had a good post-up game in his prime, but he's on the downside of his career. Same story with Payton. Billups probably COULD post up more, but they use him more as a penetrator/shooter.

If you think about it, Smush could become a top 10 PG if he has the desire and work ethic to expand his game. His length gives him a huge advantage in the paint.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:

^Usually Duncan and Mohammed are right there to get Parker's back.

When Parker went to the post, it was a "quick hit."

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

It was a great game for Smush. Hopefully, there will be more of the same.
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: smush: posting up/inside game.

DancingBarry wrote:

He doesn't post up with enough consistency yet to command and automatic double team. I mean, they will double...but not as soon as he gets the ball. If he abuses his man more in the post and people were more used to that as part of our attack, he would get more "automatic" doubles.

agreed. when lamar posts up smaller players and is aggressive he eventually commands an automatic double team. the key is as you said, doing so consistently. last night he was having his way in the first half or so, and by later in the game he was getting doubled quickly. play comes to mind where sasha gave lamar the entry pass, and udrih quickly went for the double and lamar kicked it back out to sasha for the quick three. when lamar plays aggressive period, coaches eventually are forced to double him. but they dont give lamar the benefit of doubt and dont automatically double them as you said.

lamar driving and posting up is key to him commanding those double teams and taking pressure off of kobe. consistency not necessarily in scoring, but being aggressive, whether that leads to a shot attempt or pass to the open man doesnt matter, the aggression does. it adds an entirely different dynamic to the offense.

if smush does somewhat the same, and focuses more on driving to the basket when the lane opens up (and he can quickly slither his way through those lanes) then i see no reason he cant be averaging over 13 ppg.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

I hope this continues, Parker is not a pure-shooter for his position he has the tools to use his offense around the basket by attacking the way he did against the Spurs.

Parker can be a good PG

his only nemesis is his mental.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

Smush, you're our starting point guard, you better shoot atleast 80% freethrow.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

It seems to me that this group of young players took a long time to learn the basics of the triangle good enough so that Phil could add in little wrinkles so that each player can get some touches in diferent spots. They can post Smush, and get some payback against those quick little guards that give us fits. Lamar is finding his way and getting touches in the post. Mihm more and more of those little L and R hooks (thanks, Cap). Kwame is starting to find some comfort (really, his eyes don't have that deer-in-the-headlights look anymore). Sasha, Luke, and Cook get open looks (doesn't mean that they make 'em). And Kobe really does try to get the ball to the right man for open looks.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Smush had a decent scoring night, but he was having a tough time defending quick guards.
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Smush's offensive game is showing signs of improvement. That little "backhanded" floater was very Kobe-esque.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: smush: posting up/inside game.

Smush + post game + more consistency on defense = a better shooting poor-man's Gary Payton

Chris Mihm + continued avoidance of fouls + continued passing improvment = Vlade Divac

This team isn't far away -- I dunno, maybe they all just need some Monster energy drinks. Those things get me through midterms easily enough.
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
I hope this continues, Parker is not a pure-shooter for his position he has the tools to use his offense around the basket by attacking the way he did against the Spurs.

Parker can be a good PG

his only nemesis is his mental.

Bingo.

Remember that this is essentially his rookie year. People say that about Kwame being freed from Washington, but it's more true with Smush. He's never played this late into a season.

If he's serious, he'll spend the summer working on his shot and his defensive footwork fundamentals. If he does that, look out. I
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: