Last major problem to address before playoffs: Stop fast-break teams...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Last major problem to address before playoffs: Stop fast-break teams...

The Lakers have shown some improvement over the course of the season, although they're still a bit too inconsistent, but even if you were confident they were finally getting their act together after beating the Spurs and Pistons last week, you ahve to admit they haven't been able to address one major problem this year so far: stopping fast-break teams...

We really suck against teams like Phoenix, New Orleans, Sonics, and really seem to have trouble against fast-break style teams. I'm hoping Phil will address this issue...I still think we can win on Tuesday against Sac.

The major thing that disappointed me about this game was seeing Chris Mihm go down, but then again, we should still be pretty competitive with Kwame at centre and Cook at power foward. Now Bynum and Turiaf really will have an opportunity to show up...
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

With the PG play we have, it's almost impossible. We just have to limit the 3s vs those teams...
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

Kobe2Lamar wrote:
With the PG play we have, it's almost impossible. We just have to limit the 3s vs those teams...

^^not true. 1 way for the lakers to beat these fast break teams. or i should call them, quicky hustle teams. most of these teams have the same thing in common. penetrate and flick the ball back out for a 3. the penetrate portion is setup with a pick. Which is something the lakers as a team have yet to guard since the shaq days. Thats because the lakers dont themselves run the pick n roll or pick n pop offense as much as other teams. We run the triangle.

I've been saying this for years. since we dont have super defensive minded from birth guys like, mjay, scottie, and horace grant (or dennis rodman). It will take awhile for us to learn how to defend that pick and whatever. I bet you if we played someone who used the triangle we would defend them well. thats because this is the offense our guys play against while scrimmaging night in and night out. This is why we played well against San An and detroit. these two teams, dont JUST use the pick n whatever. and they dont just penetrate and kick it back to the top of the 3 point line. they have offensive sets that are ran. these other teams are running one set, but for the most part their running quick hitter plays. pick n whatever, then kick out. and thats it. we even if we get them to miss the 3, the board comes off crazy and long, and their guys are used to running around like that after their own misses. so they have a good idea of where the ball will land. this is not a fluke. the lakers do not have an idea where the ball is going nor are we in good rebounding position as a team. Therefore you need at least 3 guys that are dedicated to chancing down boards regardless of what else is going on. If we do this. we will never lose to ATL, Portland, Seattle, phoenix, etc, etc. When I say never, I truly mean darn near NEVER. So if its so simple, why haven't the lakers done this? Because as Lamar stated at the post game interview after the seattle lose. "We got out hustled, we were out scrapped".
Its like the lakers are young, but since we run the triangle everything we do is in walk thru speed. defense included. these other teams are run and gun, so when their on defense. all they do is keep the fast pace going. notice most of these run and gun teams have little to NO defense. that means you can score on them at will. if you out rebound them. I guarantee you we will win most of these gamess.

you stop all that running around when you grab a board. Now its up to our current players to want that board bad enough.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the Lakers have to learn to lock down running teams. This will also help when the games get ragged.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: