March 13th: "Lakers lose to Seattle, Mihm to an ankle injury"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: March 13th: "Lakers lose to Seattle, Mihm to an ankle injury"

Cast under a bad swell
Lakers lose to Seattle, Mihm to an ankle injury
Ross Siler, Staff writer

If they could have just gotten out of the final minute without incident, the Lakers would have been left with a discouraging loss and the accompanying questions about how any team could shoot 58.8 percent against them.

In other words, the kind of thing that a night on the couch watching "The Sopranos," might let them forget, at least for an hour.

But the Lakers' season might have turned along with center Chris Mihm's right ankle with 48.8 seconds left in their 120-113 loss to the Seattle SuperSonics on Sunday, and the scene in the locker room afterward reflected it.

Mihm suffered a severe ankle sprain - the same injury that kept Kobe Bryant out a month last season - and hobbled around on crutches and a walking boot long after his teammates headed home.

There was no timetable for Mihm's return and X-rays were negative. But the Lakers could be forced to make their playoff push with Kwame Brown starting at center and rookie Andrew Bynum the first backup off the bench.

"I'm hoping it's not as bad as it seems right now," Mihm said, "and we can get this under control and get me back out there."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

Logic Lost in Laker Loss

Seattle gets a rare win on the road, 120-113, to kill L.A.'s momentum after a victory over the Spurs. Mihm is out indefinitely because of ankle sprain.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 13, 2006

The theme of the Laker season, too late to be called an aberration or a hiccup, continued to take root Sunday at Staples Center.

The Lakers can beat the best on any given day — Detroit, San Antonio, Miami — and lose to the rest, no matter their record or reasoning, regardless of the ensuing ridicule that awaits from fans after another clumsy loss.

The latest sample came against the Seattle SuperSonics, an underwhelming group that had been 9-22 on the road but was good enough to beat the Lakers, 120-113, killing any momentum brought home on the charter flight after Friday's victory in San Antonio.

The defense was kind enough to allow seven SuperSonics to top their season scoring averages, and the Laker frontcourt took a hit as well, Chris Mihm leaving late in the game after sustaining a severely sprained right ankle. X-rays were negative, but he will be sidelined indefinitely, quite possibly a few weeks, a Laker official said.

There were other troubles, other holes left unpatched as the Lakers failed to gain Western Conference ground on sixth-place Memphis.

Kobe Bryant was out-fenced by old rival Ray Allen, scoring only 22 points in an eight-for-29 shooting effort. He was irascible and angry during the game, dressed quickly when it was over and left without speaking to reporters for the first time this season.

Kwame Brown retreated to his scoreless days, committing three turnovers, taking five rebounds and missing the one shot he took in 20 minutes.

Overriding all else was the Lakers' confounding inability to beat the teams they should, the latest loss tossed on top of a heap that included Charlotte, Atlanta, Portland (twice) and Boston in the last two months.

Afterward, Laker Coach Phil Jackson leaned into the lectern in front of reporters and confirmed what had become obvious.

"It seems to be kind of an existing theme — we just don't get out minds wrapped around how and who we're going to play," he said.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:

Hill, Parker feelings aren't exactly mutual

By GARY WASHBURN
P-I REPORTER

LOS ANGELES -- A source of pride for Sonics coach Bob Hill during his painful and often frustrating stint at Fordham University was helping in the development of Smush Parker.

Parker, the Lakers' starting point guard, played just one season for Hill at Fordham, yet Hill could captivate folks for hours with Parker stories. And his passion in depicting them reflects a close but troubled relationship with the former Brooklyn playground legend.

Parker, who left Fordham for the 2002 NBA Draft after his sophomore season, has reportedly blamed Hill for going undrafted. According to Hill, Parker's agents convinced their client that Hill told NBA clubs Parker was a head case and not ready for the league. Hill disputed that claim and said he's proud that Parker has parlayed his immense talent into a solid career.

"I'm like one of his fathers who couldn't be prouder of him," Hill said before the Sonics 120-113 victory over the Lakers. "It's a long story, but at the bitter end his agents accused me of badmouthing him to the NBA people; because they had convinced him he was a lottery pick."

Hill said he was honest with scouts.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

Lakers' run turns into stumble
Bryant struggles as they fail to build on beating San Antonio.

By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES – The Lakers have taken a classic literary phrase and applied it literally: They have the best of times and the worst of times.

Sunday was the latest example of the blissfully ignorant Lakers tripping over human nature and letting down after success - following up an inspiring victory in San Antonio on Friday with a defenseless loss at Staples Center, 120-113, to a Seattle SuperSonics team that was 14 games under the .500 mark.

And stretching the stumble into the long term, Lakers starting center Chris Mihm suffered a severe sprain to his right ankle in the final minute and might miss the rest of the regular season.

"This is disappointing," guard Smush Parker said. "There are not words to describe it other than disappointing."

Coach Phil Jackson has urged his team all season to grasp the importance of building momentum instead of growing complacent. The day before this game, Jackson wondered about his team, which has yet to win more than four consecutive games, being ready to maintain focus.

"That's one of the things that has been haunting us this season," Jackson said Saturday. "We haven't been able just to march forward from some momentum positions and take advantage of situations. Maybe it's just time that these guys step into that role and be there and do it."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject:

Another maddening step back for Lakers

SuperSonics 120, Lakers 113

12:04 AM PST on Monday, March 13, 2006

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - The Lakers are maddening, seemingly unable to play with the same purpose against every opponent.

They have beaten Detroit, San Antonio and Dallas, the teams with the best records in the NBA. They have lost to Atlanta, Portland, Charlotte and Boston -- some of the lowliest teams in the league.

So it should not come as a surprise that the Lakers lost to the struggling Seattle SuperSonics, 120-113, on Sunday, two days after playing some of their best basketball of the season in winning at San Antonio.

Though Kobe Bryant struggled, missing 21 of 29 shots and finishing with 22 points, five Lakers scored in double figures. Having won four of their previous five games and playing for their playoff lives, the Lakers know a letdown like this one could come back to hurt them.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:

Brown, Bynum to Pick Up Time
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 13, 2006

Chris Mihm walked slowly and deliberately across the locker room with a wooden crutch under each arm, a sore sign for the Lakers' immediate future.

Arguably the team's third-most important player, Mihm is sidelined indefinitely, probably a few weeks, a team official said after the center sustained a severely sprained right ankle in Sunday's 120-113 loss to the Seattle SuperSonics.

Mihm, averaging 10.4 points and 6.4 rebounds, was injured after appearing to come down on the foot of Seattle forward Rashard Lewis with 48.4 seconds to play. Mihm had jumped to defend a layup by Chris Wilcox.

"I definitely felt something pop in there and it's swollen up pretty big right now," he said. "I felt it when I came down. I felt it swelling right away. I knew I'd done something."

Mihm, who had 20 points and 13 rebounds at the time, left Staples Center in a medical walking boot, a heavy dose of anti-inflammatory medication and ice awaiting him. His absence will mean more time for Kwame Brown, who was scoreless against Seattle, and rookie Andrew Bynum, who had sat out six of the last seven games before logging five minutes against the SuperSonics.

"We will have to wait and see what we do with this basketball team," Coach Phil Jackson said. "I would guess that Kwame would start and Andrew would be a backup player."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

Injury sidelines Mihm

Broderick Turner

11:57 PM PST on Sunday, March 12, 2006

LOS ANGELES - Center Chris Mihm suffered a severe sprained right ankle in the final minute of Sunday's 120-113 loss to Seattle and is expected to be out indefinitely.

X-rays didn't reveal any damage. He wore an air cast and walked with crutches after the game.

Mihm had a double-double with 20 points and 13 rebounds to go along with three blocked shots. He was injured with 48.4 seconds left when he attempted to block a dunk by Chris Wilcox and came down on the foot of Seattle's Rashard Lewis.

Mihm was helped into the locker room by teammates Ronny Turiaf and Andrew Bynum.

"I definitely felt something pop in there," Mihm said. "It's swollen up pretty big."

Coach Phil Jackson said Kwame Brown will start at center and Bynum will be the backup until Mihm returns.

The Lakers have 18 games left and play next at Sacramento on Tuesday night.

Mihm will get treatment overnight with anti-inflammatory medication in hopes of getting the swelling down.

"I'm hoping this isn't as bad as it seems right now," Mihm said. "I hope we can get this under control and get me back out there."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: