TWOLVES -at- LAKERS - 3/15 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: TWOLVES -at- LAKERS - 3/15 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Defense, Defense, Defense... The Lakers finally held down an opponent. After giving up the 117 points per game average in the last two matches, they held the TWolves to 89. Some great D by Kwame and Kobe tonight on individual match-ups. And the team cut down the fastbreak points.

Marcus Banks (18 points and 8 assists) was driving the TWolves attack, getting penetration, scoring, setting up others. Late in the game, Phil switched Kobe onto him defensively and it cooled him off...good thing because he was wide open to tie up the game from three and airballed.

Banks led the TWolves scoring because KG was held to just 16 points on a poor 4-14 shooting. Kwame, once again, provided some lockdown D on one of the league's better players.

The Lakers weren't without the poor offensive execution that has hurt them recently on the defensive end. The gave up 25 points off turnovers. They did, however, hold the fastbreak points down to 12 instead of the 20+ points in the past two games. They also got clutch shooting by Lamar, Luke and, of course, No. 8 in crunch time.

Kobe -- -- If you are an opponent, you just hate to see the ball in his hands in the last minute of a close game. He hit two clutch shots during the last minute that kept the Wolves at bay. Kobe again started off slow, but played a stronger second half. He finished with 25 points on 12-25 shooting (9-14 in the second half). He had just 1 board, 3 assists, 1 steal and 1 block in 42 minutes. "This was a must-win for us," Bryant said in the Times. "We had to get this W." He swished a top of the key jumper for the Lakers first score. Kobe threw a bad pass out of bounds. He attacked past Hassell on the baseline and scored a layup. He took a few difficult, low percentage shots and missed. He hit a floater across the lane. He had 6 points on 3-9 shooting in the first half. He missed a jumper in the lane and wanted a foul. He attacked, spun and banked in an And-1. A few minutes into the second half, the Lakers got their first points off a turnover when Kobe stole the pass at the top of the key and dunked at the other end. He split the double team, pulled up in the lane and knocked down a jumper. He attacked in semi-transition, got contact, no call, kept going along the baseline and scored on a reverse. He drained a long with jumper with the shotclock at one. He hit one of those double-teamed turnarounds from slightly behind the backboard (for some reason that shot almost seems automatic for him). He then went and hit another one, this time over KG and a little farther away. With 34 seconds left, he got his man in the popcorn machine, stepped under another defender and scored off the glass. With the TWolves in a two-for-one situation, Kobe took the clock down as long as he could go, he attacked, got the ball knocked loose, but got it back and scored a reverse with 6 seconds left to give the Lakers a three-point lead. Kobe went to the FT line just once in this game. Once... Phil hypothesized after the game that the officials might have been told not to blow the whistle as often. "Could be true," Kobe said in the Times. "I've heard of weirder conspiracy theories. There might be some truth to that. I'm not getting to the line as much as I'd like to."

Odom -- -- Great effort by Lamar on the second night of the back to back. Once again, he came up just short of the triple-double. He scored 20 points on 9-15 shooting, pulled down 12 boards (4 offensive) and dished a team-high 8 assists. Early on it looked like Davis vs. Lamar and something would have to give. We went to Lamar early in the post a couple of times and couldn't get anything. Davis drew a foul on Lamar on the perimeter. Lamar pumped in a three off the pinch post. He set up Kwame for FTs with an interior feed. He got credit for a tip-in when Davis tipped in a defensive rebound in front of Lamar. He got the ball in the post, turned and dunked. Davis had 8 points in the first quarter, Lamar 7. With Kobe out to start the second quarter, Lamar strung together a number of scores. He one-handed an offensive board and guided it in for a score. He hit a pull-up three. He powered in a jumphook in the lane. He faced up and knocked down a baseline jumper, which forced a timeout as he tied the game. Good stretch and he led the Lakers with 16 points at the half. After we gave up a dunk on one end, Lamar attacked off the dribble on the other and jammed as KG backed out from under the hoop. Great job using his length to pull down an offensive board, he then slipped a pass between defenders under the hoop to Kwame for an And-1. He hit a big turnaround jumper from the FT line with two minutes left.

Smush -- -- He was getting served by Banks on a number of plays -- drives, pull-up jumpers, whatever Banks wanted. He was too fast for Smush to cover at this stage of his career. Kobe on the other hand, locked down fine. Smush had some highlight reel moments on the offensive end himself. He is probably the most enjoyable PG we've had in a long time when it comes to finishing around the rim. He attacked down the lane and threw down a huge, soaring dunk for his first points. Smush attacked the rim, got undercut and somehow spun in an And-1, while heading shoulder first to the floor, where he amazingly and gracefully recovered from what could have been an ugly fall. He picked up a loose ball, attacked the lane and scored a layup. He attacked off the high screen, got into the lane and flipped in a layup, spinning it off the glass. He attacked the lane off the dribble and scored another layup down the middle. He dribbled into defenders, lost the ball and it led to a dunk with a little over 2 minutes left (Phil yelled "pass" to Smush on the other end after that play). He helped force a turnover on Davis, which led to a bustout and Smush scored a layup high over KG on the break. He gave up penetration to Banks and then fouled KG on an And-1 dunk with a little over a minute left.

Kwame -- -- "Kwame does a great job on the post," Phil said of Kwame's D on KG. "I don't think people appreciate the defense he gives us, but we certainly understand it. He makes it difficult for people on the block." He did about as good a job as you will see on KG. He held his ground in the post and then sat on KG's turnaround. That made a difference tonight as we have had problems defending KG down the stretch of recent games. Offensively, Kwame gave a strong game with 13 points on 4-6 shooting (5-5 FTs, which means he will miss a bunch in the next game). He also had 9 boards and 2 assists. He even had a couple of good plays in transition D early, hustling back to prevent KG from scoring. He drew FTs on an interior feed from Lamar. Good D not giving up position then contesting the KG fallaway. He dunked off a feed from Walton under the hoop. He popped out to the FT line and hit an open jumper when KG left him (if he ever gets that shot down, that is there all the time). Good D on Blount in the post, not giving ground and contesting the turnaround. Cook found him open under the hoop and KG had to foul to save a basket, Kwame made both FTs. He sealed KG in the lane, got the entry feed and scored the layup (very nice play). Several good defensive plays on KG in the third. He scored an And-1 off an interior feed from Lamar.

Turiaf -- -- Ronny got his first start of his NBA career, which is really a pretty amazing thing to say for a second round pick, let alone his storied medical recovery. You could tell, though, that he wasn't quite clicking with the rest of the team on the offensive end. On the D end, he played solid and had some nice help D rotations. He finished with 2 points, playing the first 10 minutes. He had 1 board, 1 assist, 2 fouls, 1 block and 3 unfortunate turnovers. Getting the starting nod in place of Cook, could allow KG to roam defensively if Turiaf wasn't active. It didn't seem to hurt us too much, in that regard. He had a couple of early travel calls. He hustled on the offensive glass, jumping after a loose ball, then turning back to the hoop and dunking for his only points. He had another turnover throwing a pass out of bounds to where he thought Kobe was going. Nice defensive play drawing a charge in the post on Blount. He picked up two fouls in the first quarter trying to block KG and Banks on help D.

Cook -- -- After sitting the entire first half, Phil started him the second half. Cook played a 12-minute stint and sat. In that time, he scored 6 points on 2-5 shooting, had a very nice 7 boards...which is an interesting response to being on the bench in the first half. Phil said after the game, he made the move to give us more rebounding energy. Scoring wise, he popped out to the FT line and hit a jumper. He took a Kobe pass in the lane, pumped and scored, just beating the shotclock. He rushed a shot to beat the clock, got the rebound back and was fouled, he made both FTs. He also set Kwame up for FTs with a nice extra pass under the hoop.

Walton -- -- Luke had a couple mistakes down the stretch, but he hit a major clutch three from the corner with 1:06 left to give the Lakers a one-point lead. If that shot doesn't drop, we are in big trouble. Luke finished with 9 points on 4-9 shooting, 7 boards and 2 assists with a team-high tying 4 turnovers. He hit a pull-up jumper in the lane for his first score. He hit a fallaway on the baseline with the shotclock low. Nice cut and feed to Kwame for a dunk. Good D when his man tried to score off an iso, Luke stayed tight on his shot and forced an airball. He also played some solid D on smaller men like Banks and Davis in a couple stands. He putback in a missed reverse by Sasha. He was called for a travel after pulling down an offensive board. He forced a pass, lost it and it led to a dunk with two minutes left in the game. He then hit the corner three on the kickout by Kobe to give us the lead. He was too soft defensively and he gave up a quick layup off a pass that allowed the TWolves a two-for-one scenario at the end of the game.

Vujacic -- -- I don't know if the Lakers will make a run at Banks in the offseason...they might since it was said that they offered a second-rounder for him this year. If you look at the spark that Banks gives the TWolves versus what Sasha gives us, you can see the punch we are missing at the guard spot. Tonight Sasha had 18 minutes and scored 5 points on 2-8 shooting. He had 3 boards and 1 assist in 18 minutes. He missed a pull-up jumper in transition. He put together a couple nice plays in a row. The first was a bounce pass to Luke in traffic which led to a Kwame dunk. The second was a dribble drive past Jaric for a layup. He hit a big three over the zone early in the fourth. He missed his next three attempt over the zone. He tried to go up and under with the shotclock low, got blocked, got it back, attacked and missed the reverse to beat the clock, then Luke cleaned it up for him. Defensively, he did reasonable, but didn't provide any of that annoying pest-like D that irks opponents.

Bynum -- -- He came in to start the second quarter. Some nice D on a few possessions. He got an offensive board, tried to go up and was blocked. Good help D, blocking a shot under the hoop. He came in to match up against Blount to start the fourth. He got a block using his length on one play. He finished with 0 points on 0-1 shooting, 3 boards, 2 blocks and 2 fouls in 9:46 of action.

Jackson -- -- He played 7 minutes and didn't score. He barely hit the rim on a faceup jumper. He missed an open wing jumper. He plays decent enough D when he is out there. Hopefully, he can get comfortable in the offense and start knocking down some J's.

Phil -- -- He started Turiaf in place of Cook, and he didn't play Cook the entire first half, then started him the second half. Coincidently, Cook led the team with +10, while Turiaf led the other way with -5. A lot of that had to do with our turnover prone play in the first quarter (which Ronny was in the thick of). And a lot of that should smooth itself out with playing time and more experience in the offense. When Cook or Turiaf weren't in the game, we used Lamar as our second bigman... The Lakers gave up 12 points off of turnovers in the first quarter. Meanwhile, we didn't score a point off turnovers in the first half... Out of a timeout in the third, they went to the zone and got a KG airball. The turned it off and on at times with decent success... The Lakers were floundering against the zone D in the fourth quarter. Late in the game, they had back-to-back turnovers that led to dunks on the other end. Still, we managed to pull it together with some clutch shooting... Phil on KG: "It's really hard to anticipate what they're going through up there. It takes its toll on a player. I don't know what's happening entirely, but you watch a great player have a situation like that, there's a lot of sympathy."...
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

- Kobe Bryant
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

Great Job (as always) DB

Questions
It appeared that when teams are trying to "stretch" Kobe on the high screen - he's just splitting the double teams during this game. Wondering why he didn't do that in the Kings game

Is PJ trying to light a fire under Cook's butt, while trying to integrate Turiaff into the playing rotation? Or is PJ saying - play 150% for 24 minutes and don't coast for playing the entire game (probably good advice to Smush)

What was Smush thinking on the last play of the game, he wasn't guarding KG or Marcus Banks - he did have a good seat for the last shot?!?! FYI: Smush does have the talent when he is being aggressive, just like LO!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

It appeared that when teams are trying to "stretch" Kobe on the high screen - he's just splitting the double teams during this game. Wondering why he didn't do that in the Kings game

All depends on how they play him. He likes to split it, but they can tighten that and make it hard to split.

Quote:

Is PJ trying to light a fire under Cook's butt, while trying to integrate Turiaff into the playing rotation? Or is PJ saying - play 150% for 24 minutes and don't coast for playing the entire game (probably good advice to Smush)

I think he's trying to figure out what buttons to push with Cook. Cook responded so PJ may go back to that again (despite the turnovers by Ronny). In fact, I think Ronny has been kind of used to leverage both Kwame and Cook into playing better.

Quote:

What was Smush thinking on the last play of the game, he wasn't guarding KG or Marcus Banks - he did have a good seat for the last shot?!?! FYI: Smush does have the talent when he is being aggressive, just like LO!

This was another brainlock moment for Smush. He didn't even try to recover... good thing that sucker didn't go down.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:

LO, Kwame, and company have done some major lifting the few games for Kobe. Kobe's been off and we haven't really missed a beat. Sure, we still lose some games, but we always did. Most importantly, we've had some big wins with Kobe playing bad.

Major props go out to LO, Kwame, and every player on the roster 2-12.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:

I think it will be better if Phil just decides to let Ronny come of the bench.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:

btw...

Thanks and, as always, good stuff DB!!!
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:

"I don't think people appreciate the defense he gives us, but we certainly understand it. He makes it difficult for people on the block."

Way to go Kwame! Now don't go disappearing in the next few games. Keep this up & we may have found ourselves a much needed defensive presence inside.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject:

tnx DB
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject:

I think Phil is right that many people do underestimate what Kwame brings to the game (when he brings it). KG was having a lot of difficulty using his size or length against Kwame, and Kwame was not committing the silly fouls that Mihm is prone to in the post. I was really happy with his contribution.

Lamar (Joel Myers called him Mellow L.O.) said he wanted to be aggressive the first half and do the little things to aid the game in the second. I would have liked him to stay as aggressive with his shooting in the second half, just because I'd like to know what his potential is if he kept the throttle open the whole game. I was very happy with his play. I do notice that he and Kobe play-side-by-side well enough but they don't look for each other to mount an aggressive two man attack; it's usually one of them starting the attack while the other reacts to it. I'd like to see Kobe set up more of the highlight plays that Smush and Kwame seem to get, which are often set up by L.O, Luke, or Smush.

Ronny certainly looked wet behind the ears out there but it'll come if we can afford to be patient. I prefer him starting the game instead of Cook because we need the offense from Cook later in the game and Turiaf can start by tiring out the other teams bigs. He had one good hustle play, but other than that I didn't see him look any more or less energetic than our other players. I expect more rebounding from him and Bynum.

I know we have injury problems, but isn't it interesting that Phil is more generous with minutes for the new guys here at the end of the season. I suppose he is thinking that we will need everything we can get if we get to the playoffs and they need a little experience. Let's hope they can become integrated into the offense down the stretch.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:

I didn't see the game, but followed it online. Kobe has been getting far less points in the last few games than we are used to. Is it a matter of the entire defense coming at him and daring the rest of the team to beat? Or is Kobe showing signs of fatigue? Or is Kobe injured? Anyone know?

Though Kobe's quote about not getting to the free throw line probably has a lot to do with that as well.

Great job by Lamar and Kwame. Now if only they could bring this game every night, we wouldn't need to make any sort of trade. We still need more experience on the bench, but the players we have now seem good for that. We also need a real starting PG; Smush would be a great back up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

Positives

Kwame's defense and FT shooting (Showing that we do infact have C depth)
Lamar's overall game (20, 12 and 8 )
Bynum's defense (Loved the blocks and defensive energy. That will earn him minutes with this team)
Cook's rebounding in the 3rd qtr (7 boards in a qtr must be a record for him)
Bryant's shooting over 40% for 2nd straight game (One more game like this and I think he's past his shooting woes)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

The sour taste, of the Sacto Game, still lingers on... It has been hard, watching the opponent's guards driving the ball, sometimes, full-court, all the way to the hoop, virtually uncontested.

Lamar, for all his heroics, did not always come fast enough, to help, on defense. One of the biggest disappointments, is that Jim Jackson is not going to play much defense for us, and his shots are not falling. Jumaine Jones is hitting "lights-out", from 3 point land...

We need to play more intelligent basketball. We've been doing well, in the first period, then, it looks like we get too pleased with ourselves, and let down a little, into cruise control. We lose our focus, and try to become "The Globetrotters", when we should be focusing on good fundamentals.

On the positive side, Kwame is starting to play like a bigman, at last...He has become a force, under the basket. He may never be a Shaq, or Jermaine Oneal, but all we need is a steady presence.

Kobe continues to look frustrated, and it looks like he still gets out of control too much. Everyone got it back together, just enough, to squeak through this one, but it's clear, we're in for a long rebuilding process.
waiipor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

good stuffs
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB

-We finally won a another close game

-I'm still pissed at GP for not landing us Banks, he is NIIIIICCE (just not on that last shot )

-Lamar has been a monster lately, lets hope it continues

-Big shot by Luuuuuukkkkkkkkke

-JJ,bynum, turiaf finally getting some minutes

-What does Kobe Bean Bryant have to do to get a call?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

Defense's still bad but we took it
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

I think that Lamar played very well last night. Would have liked to have seen him continue the aggressiveness into the 2nd half, but I'll take that production any day of the week. I hope he can keep this up.

Kwame played very good defense. It seemed as though KG's jumper took the night off. And when he tried to move his game closer to the post, Kwame blanketed him.

Didn't see Bynum getting his shot thrown. How did it happen? I ask because it seems as though he gets at least one of his attempts snuffed every time he plays.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. We finally won a game ugly.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
LO, Kwame, and company have done some major lifting the few games for Kobe. Kobe's been off and we haven't really missed a beat. Sure, we still lose some games, but we always did. Most importantly, we've had some big wins with Kobe playing bad.

Major props go out to LO, Kwame, and every player on the roster 2-12.

come on. Its all about W's. "We always did". What big wins have we had with Kobe playing bad?
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Its nice to be on the right side of a close game for once.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Any other team but Minny would've wiped the floor with the Lakers last night. Ugly or not, a win is a win and we desperately needed it.

I've been harping about Kobe's fadeaway on the baseline. I wish someone could chart his %-age on that shot, because it seems like he swishes that one every time, even when KG switched out on him. Kobe got a fortunate bounce when he got stripped. If he's not going to get any calls, something's gotta go right.

NKPOG = LO as it should be every game from here on out. The numbers he has put up recently, including a very high FG %, is very encouraging. Kwame gets an honorable mention for his excellent D and Luke gets the clutch shot of the night.

If we can't get #6, I would be happy with #8. I think we match up better with SA or Dallas rather than PHX. I know, I know, just get in first.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Didn't see Bynum getting his shot thrown. How did it happen? I ask because it seems as though he gets at least one of his attempts snuffed every time he plays

It's almost always when he tries to dunk the ball, exposing it for a weakside shotblocker.

Anyway, I expect him to improve in that aspect. Though it's for this very reason I always agreed with Mike - him becoming a franchise player is unlikely. Unlike most franchise centers, Bynum just is not a ferocious dunker. To reach a level of a franchise player, he will need to develop a skillevel of Tim Duncan (which will be very hard to do considering his rawness).

However his strength was never above the rim play. The reason he was the number 1 C out of highschool was his back to the basket play. He can create his own shot back to the basket.

I think a Z-Ilgauskas type of player is very possible with him.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Hey, anythings possible with Bynum .... he's got Cap as his personal private tutor. Cap wasn't really what I'd call a power player either, neh?
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Didn't see Bynum getting his shot thrown. How did it happen? I ask because it seems as though he gets at least one of his attempts snuffed every time he plays

It's almost always when he tries to dunk the ball, exposing it for a weakside shotblocker.

Anyway, I expect him to improve in that aspect. Though it's for this very reason I always agreed with Mike - him becoming a franchise player is unlikely. Unlike most franchise centers, Bynum just is not a ferocious dunker. To reach a level of a franchise player, he will need to develop a skillevel of Tim Duncan (which will be very hard to do considering his rawness).

However his strength was never above the rim play. The reason he was the number 1 C out of highschool was his back to the basket play. He can create his own shot back to the basket.

I think a Z-Ilgauskas type of player is very possible with him.

TD didn't play basketball until late, but went four years of college and developed his skills nicely. I think their situations are similar. Bynum being taught by Kareem for the next 2-3 years or longer should be as good a lesson as anything Tim Duncan learned from the Wake Forest coaches.

Not saying Bynum EVER reaches that level, just that it's NOT out of the realm of possibilities.
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Appreciate it.
Interesting adjustment by phil. Cook sitting for the entire first half is kinda crazy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: