Clippers Might Take Out Spurs in Playoffs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Clippers Might Take Out Spurs in Playoffs

It sounds crazy to say it, but the Clippers match up very well against Spurs and may take them out in 1st round if Spurs fall to 4th spot (as current).

If I'm Dunleavy, I start Livingston on Parker defensively, and play Cassell at the 2 on Bowen. A healthy Cory Maggette gets the Manu assignment, which he can more than handle, Brand matches up with Duncan, and Kaman abuses the Spurs' centers.

I'm just guessing right now, since I haven't been studying the Clippers too closely, but it would seem that Livingston would be quicker defensively than Sam, plus his length would be a great asset against Parker. Maggette might even be the 6th man if Cuttino needs to remain a starter to keep his confidence and attitude right, and Cuttino ought to be able to stay with Manu too.

This year, the Clippers lost in OT at San Antonio and killed them at Staples 98-85.

The Clippers would be a legit threat to Dallas too, should Dallas be the one to falter and fall to the 4th seed.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

What does this have to do with the Lakers?

can people quit actting like this is a Clipper lounge throw that junk to the NBA discussion.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Anything COULD happen... no doubt...

Spurs come up big in playoff time. Clippers haven't been there before.

That's the deciding factor.

Popp knows how to coach a playoff team and make adjustments over a series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

AussieLakerFan wrote:
Anything COULD happen... no doubt...

Spurs come up big in playoff time. Clippers haven't been there before.

That's the deciding factor.

Popp knows how to coach a playoff team and make adjustments over a series.
Quite often, the deciding factor is relative health status of teams in Play-off match-ups. No doubt the Spurs have a HUGE edge in playoff experience though.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

can people quit actting like this is a Clipper lounge throw that junk to the NBA discussion.

Well, there's at least some relevance to the Lakers. If the playoffs started now, the Clips get the Spurs and the Lakers draw Dallas. If the Clippers can upset San Antonio and the Lakers somehow get by the Mavs, it sets up Clippers vs. Lakers in the playoffs for the first time ever. So there's the relevance, now speculate away!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I don't know.

I think it would be a 6 game series, but the Spurs would win. In 7 game series, ussually the better regilar season team wins.

Plus one must factor the Clipps have no playoff experience. Expecting to beat the Spurs is too much. I expect them to make some big mistakes in the playoffs considering it would be basically Cassell who has any real playoff experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

This isn't really a Lakers topic. Of course, anything can happen. The Lakers were favored by ten to one odds in the NBA finals and lost.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

I'll be shocked if the Clippers make it past the 1st round.

As for the thread... off to General NBA land.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clippers Might Take Out Spurs in Playoffs

critical_beatdown wrote:
It sounds crazy to say it, but the Clippers match up very well against Spurs and may take them out in 1st round if Spurs fall to 4th spot (as current).

If I'm Dunleavy, I start Livingston on Parker defensively, and play Cassell at the 2 on Bowen. A healthy Cory Maggette gets the Manu assignment, which he can more than handle, Brand matches up with Duncan, and Kaman abuses the Spurs' centers.

I'm just guessing right now, since I haven't been studying the Clippers too closely, but it would seem that Livingston would be quicker defensively than Sam, plus his length would be a great asset against Parker. Maggette might even be the 6th man if Cuttino needs to remain a starter to keep his confidence and attitude right, and Cuttino ought to be able to stay with Manu too.

This year, the Clippers lost in OT at San Antonio and killed them at Staples 98-85.
The Clippers would be a legit threat to Dallas too, should Dallas be the one to falter and fall to the 4th seed.

Spurs* played with us the day before playing with the clippers.

Do you think they cared more to beat us or them ?

Read the boxscore, and you'll notice that they used the veterans vs us and more of Beno Udrih vs the clippers.

Even if in this particular moment the clippers are a more talented team, there is no way they get the same respect the Spurs give to the Lakers.

Do you think Pop and TD would prefer to play vs the clips or vs Phil and Kobe ?
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

If TD doesn't get in ship-shape SA is going down. It wouldn't surprise me if the Clips take em out. That being the case it wouldn't surprise me to see the lakers-clips match up in the 2nd round.
statman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

I agree with JD. The Spurs are too playoff-tested. They'll be a different team come postseason; right now they are just going through the motions. The Clippers have a better chance against the Mavs (although that's no cakewalk).
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Experience makes a difference in the Playoffs. The Spurs have that. The Clippers haven't seen Playoff intensity yet.
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

pop would probably put bowen on corey maggette

Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Realistically, the Clippers would be a one and out against the Spurs.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

It's about who we might play if we get past the 1st round...do I have to spell it out for you? I'm not a Clippers fan, and obviously pointed that out in the post.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

critical_beatdown wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

It's about who we might play if we get past the 1st round...do I have to spell it out for you? I'm not a Clippers fan, and obviously pointed that out in the post.

I would worry about getting out of the first round before I worry about playing the Spurs. (Yes, Spurs because Clippers are not going to beat them, so stop wetdreaming)
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject:

i think any1 can take anyone this year in the west..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

Clippers cant beat the Spurs, not in a million years, they could even hold the starters but then, Spurs would still have Finley, Horry, NVE, Mohammed and Barry off the bench, do they plan on using Baker to stop Rob? Singleton on Finley?
hwalles
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Clippers cant beat the Spurs, not in a million years, they could even hold the starters but then, Spurs would still have Finley, Horry, NVE, Mohammed and Barry off the bench, do they plan on using Baker to stop Rob? Singleton on Finley?

You do not know anything about Clippers. They have Lvingston, Rad, Corey, Rebraca coming from the bench. These players can take any bench in NBA.
Their starters can match with Spurs really well too.
They will beat Spurs in 6.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

hwalles wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

You do not know anything about Clippers. They have Lvingston, Rad, Corey, Rebraca coming from the bench. These players can take any bench in NBA.
Their starters can match with Spurs really well too.
They will beat Spurs in 6.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Get lost Clipper Troll!
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I think it would be difficult for the Clippers to beat the Spurs. There are a few players on the Clippers who have playoff experience such as Sam Cassell and Mobley, and that should definitely help. Elton Brand will definitely be ready to play cause he's a big time performer.

However, the Spurs have much more experience and they've gone through many playoff games. They are definitely favored to win against the Clippers. Realistically, the Spurs should be the 2nd seed in the playoffs if it weren't for the way the divisions are set up. That just shows how the luck of the draw is against the Clippers since if we were to go with the old playoff format, the Clippers would be in the 4th seed and wouldn't have to face the Spurs until they met in the WCF. WCF series are tough to overcome and teams are starting it off in the first round. It's going to be a difficult battle, but I believe teh Spurs will come out on top of it.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

It just aint so hard, Spurs would take it in 5, Clippers aint nothing better than last year's Nuggets and still the Spurs beat 'em easily, Spurs are underrated, theyre by far the best team in the league - and Im not a Spurs troll, I hate 'em, but respect where its due.
Crazy LA Fan14
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

No doubt they could win, but it's not gonne be a walk in the park. They match up better with the spurs than they do with the Mavs. But I would much rather see the Clips at the sixth spot playin Denver which they are 2-1 against this year. But if the Clippers keep winning, it's gonna be an interesting series.

GO CLIPPERS
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Who cares what the Clippers do???????
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

^ HaHa no kidden, it's these Clipper fans who keep actting like we care what there team does but you can't blame them they don't have any actual Clipper boards so they come to Laker boards to spread there BS.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: