Kwame is my hero!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

And if by some miracle this 14-16 ppg lasts - The Lakers will be a contender next season.

If he starts knocking off 14-16 ppg, and Lamar keeps playing like he is, then we are a contender this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

D-Dogg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

And if by some miracle this 14-16 ppg lasts - The Lakers will be a contender next season.

If he starts knocking off 14-16 ppg, and Lamar keeps playing like he is, then we are a contender this season.

Playoff experience.

They need this season to get in the playoffs so they can learn what kind of intensity it takes.

Even they way they are playing - I don't see them beating the Suns in a 7 game series (But it could go down to a game 6 or 7 if they play this way)

How many times has this team had mental letdowns during games. Do that in the playoffs and it will result in a loss. I just don't see how they could play that well 4 out of 7 times (I can see 2 wins) but maybe the legend that is Kobe Bryant can steal 2 extra games for us. The biggest thing that worries me about the playoffs is their defensive intensity. They have too many letdowns for me to really feel that they can do it 4 out of 7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

[quote="wolfpaclaker"]Yeah, gotta give Kwame his props.

I still don't think the offense will last - BUT his defense alone is something that makes the Lakers a tough team to beat vs the elite.

Without Kwame - I don't think the Lakers can beat any of the elite teams with elite bigs.

Just keep up the tough low post D and I will be happy !

And if by some miracle this 14-16 ppg lasts - The Lakers will be a contender next season.[/quote]

Wolf:

I think Kwame's offense is here to stay. He's been showing the FULL array these last couple of games: hooks, short jumpers, running the floor for dunks. BUt most importantly, he's been using his body to create space for himself on these shots. He continues to do that & NOBODY can guard him.

I'm anxious to see him on offense versus the better & more athletic 4's in the league, but I see his confidence growing. He didn't even seem surprised last night that he had done so well. That's a good sign.

When I was pulling for the Kwame trade last summer, I thought he could be a 16 & 9 guy this year as a best-case scenario, and ultimately, a 20 & 10 guy. Now, I must admit, for most of the year, I tempered my enthusiasm down to 7 & 7, but when a guy THAT big shows an ability to score and rebound consistently, and he's THAT young (AND it's NOT a contract year!)... then you have something special. I never thought I'd say this realistically, but it's not a stretch to say that Kwame Brown COULD be a 20 & 10 guy next year if he works hard this summer, improves his free throw shooting, and learns when to use his face-up game: he still has a quick first step.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

Once thing's for sure: Phil Jackson is no Doug Collins
MrWhite77
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

i've been behind the kwame trade. His defense is stellar. this is like his rookie year. In my opinion the four years he spent in Washington is equal to four years at a bad college with weak coaching. I've said it all along, give him the whole year. If Kwame can keep playing like this till the playoffs, then I'm buyin a #54 jersey.

Oh and Dagger props on the thread, i was one of many who thought you weren't capable of being nice towards the Lakers. My apologies
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

Before the next wave of "Is Kwame our Ben Wallace?" posts come in, let me re-post my comments from last week:

------------------------------------------
Oh, not AGAIN.

Ask us this after Kwame can actually string together FIVE games of at least 12 combined rebounds and blocks in each game.

That's right. FIVE games. In a row. Not five games before the All-Star break. Not five games in a month.

FIVE GAMES of a combined 12 rebounds and blocks each. He can shoot 1 for 7 every game, fine. He can drop 8 passes that lead to 16 opposing points in Game 1. He can score 6 points by himself in the wrong d*** basket in Game 5, for all I care.

Show me that Kwame can somehow show the requisite heart, desire, and basketball sense to be a true defensive factor on both boards, low-post position D, and from weak-side help.

Show me that he can sustain that for more than ONE FREAKING WEEK of games.

Show me that Kwame can do this against presumably three or four different teams, with different post players, and different styles of offense.

Show me he can do this both at home and on the road, as a five-game span would very likely contain at least one road game.

Show me he can provide intensity and sound play even during the likely possibility that his shot is NOT falling; based on this year, in the course of one week, he'll have at least TWO games where he can't score.

I'm not asking for a legit No. 2 scoring presence.

I'm not asking for Rodman-level, 14+ a night rebounding levels.

I'm not asking for Mutombo-level, 3.5+ a night shot-blocking levels.

I'm asking for Kwame to show, for just one lousy week, that he has, at a minimum, an NBA-minimum-wage brain and heart to go with that $8M body.

If, if, IFFFF! he can do that for five lousy days, MAYBE then I'll entertain the notion of a comaprison to Ben Wallace.

More than anything else, Wallace is known for showing up and hustling and battling EVERY freaking night.

Kwame has MAYBE one good night a week, and for that he should be compared to Wallace?

Kwame's best stretch of games was a TWO-GAME streak of double-doubles TWO YEARS AGO, and people are ordaining him the second coming of a guy who has neutralized Shaq in the playoffs without the help of a double-team the past two years?

Unbelievable.

MIM
-------------------------------------------------------

Kwame is certainly taking advantage of his touches on O, and is continuing to produce at both ends.

HOWEVER, he can still be contributing more on the glass and in D rotations.

I am glad he's produced in this 4-game stretch, but I want him to bring it EVERY NIGHT FROM HERE ON OUT, whether he gets 7-8 shot attempts in a given night or not.

MIM

Last edited by MIMLaker on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

Kwame kudos for not fouling so much ....

Being a Defender there

And now an offensive weapon...
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

MIM

I agree that he shouldn't be compared to Wallace. But as far as i'm concerned he is STARTING to show some consistency, as long as he keeps it up then i have no problem with him. He's taking steps, it seems to me (although i could be misunderstanding you) that you want him to take leaps.

Last edited by MrWhite77 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
doughboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

[quote="DaggerInTheHeart"]Wow can you guys believe Kwame is averaging 16PPG and 9RPG the last 4 games i freaking LOVE IT![/quote]

I think my prayers been answered, now I have to repent for slamming this guy and calling him a bust.

(Sorry god for dissing Kwame Brown and for making a believer out of me!)

scottie2hottie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

[quote="MIMLaker"]Before the next wave of "Is Kwame our Ben Wallace?" posts come in, let me re-post my comments from last week:

------------------------------------------
Oh, not AGAIN.

Ask us this after Kwame can actually string together FIVE games of at least 12 combined rebounds and blocks in each game.

That's right. FIVE games. In a row. Not five games before the All-Star break. Not five games in a month.

FIVE GAMES of a combined 12 rebounds and blocks each. He can shoot 1 for 7 every game, fine. He can drop 8 passes that lead to 16 opposing points in Game 1. He can score 6 points by himself in the wrong d*** basket in Game 5, for all I care.

Show me that Kwame can somehow show the requisite heart, desire, and basketball sense to be a true defensive factor on both boards, low-post position D, and from weak-side help.

Show me that he can sustain that for more than ONE FREAKING WEEK of games.

Show me that Kwame can do this against presumably three or four different teams, with different post players, and different styles of offense.

Show me he can do this both at home and on the road, as a five-game span would very likely contain at least one road game.

Show me he can provide intensity and sound play even during the likely possibility that his shot is NOT falling; based on this year, in the course of one week, he'll have at least TWO games where he can't score.

I'm not asking for a legit No. 2 scoring presence.

I'm not asking for Rodman-level, 14+ a night rebounding levels.

I'm not asking for Mutombo-level, 3.5+ a night shot-blocking levels.

I'm asking for Kwame to show, for just one lousy week, that he has, at a minimum, an NBA-minimum-wage brain and heart to go with that $8M body.

If, if, IFFFF! he can do that for five lousy days, MAYBE then I'll entertain the notion of a comaprison to Ben Wallace.

More than anything else, Wallace is known for showing up and hustling and battling EVERY freaking night.

Kwame has MAYBE one good night a week, and for that he should be compared to Wallace?

Kwame's best stretch of games was a TWO-GAME streak of double-doubles TWO YEARS AGO, and people are ordaining him the second coming of a guy who has neutralized Shaq in the playoffs without the help of a double-team the past two years?

Unbelievable.

MIM
-------------------------------------------------------

Kwame is certainly taking advantage of his touches on O, and is continuing to produce at both ends.

HOWEVER, he can still be contributing more on the glass and in D rotations.

I am glad he's produced in this 4-game stretch, but I want him to bring it EVERY NIGHT FROM HERE ON OUT, whether he gets 7-8 shot attempts in a given night or not.

MIM[/quote]

Ben Wallace didn't become a rebounding manic or great defensive player over night. Let all of us be patient as he developes his game a bit more.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

i am tellng you this is the kid i saw playing for the wizards the 2nd half of his 3rd year. his fourth was blown up by injury. I was so dissapointed when he was showing nothing early in the year because i knew he had better game than that. i really think this kid is going to be a beast. maybe not a 20 pt scorer but he will be a beast
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

MIM

I agree that he shouldn't be compared to Wallace. But as far as i'm concerned he is STARTING to show some consistency, as long as he keeps it up then i have no problem with him. He's taking steps, it seems to me (although i could be misunderstanding you) that you want him to take leaps.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE. I just don't want people getting carried away and calling him the next Ben Wallace.

If Kwame can keep up this level of consistent effort and concentration, regardless of point totals, we're going to be in good shape. If he can maintain averages of even 11 and 7 the rest of the year, and still keep up the solid interior D, then by all means Mitch SHOULD get the credit for taking a chance on Kwame.

I'm not asking that Kwame be at Ben Wallace's level NOW; I'm simply saying that for people shouldn't compare him to Wallace until he puts up Wallace-type numbers.

I'd much rather grow to rely on Kwame for consistently positive contributions, rather than have him consistently fall short of hyperbole.

MIM
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:

[quote="doughboy"]I think my prayers been answered, now I have to repent for slamming this guy and calling him a bust.

(Sorry god for dissing Kwame Brown and for making a believer out of me!) [/quote]

Whoo hooo Doughy Boy!!!!
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I always believed in him,i didnt make this screen name for nothing.
MrWhite77
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Agreed MiM, no comparisons to Benny Wallace should be made yet. maybe next year or in a couple of years when he plays a consistant season at the level we've been seeing lately.

I've been reading one of the Kwame threads at realgm and there's a Wiz fan there that says they saw this before in Washington and then he dissapeared on them again. So i'm crossing my fingers that Kwame is arriving and that, that guy is just bitter over Kwame's finally starting to SEE THE LIGHT! (VTB style!)
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Is it a coincidence that Kobe is shooting closer to 50% during these past 4 or 5 games while Kwame's played great? An effective big man in the paint helps Kobe a lot ....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: