LAKERS -at- SONICS - 3/31 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the stellar effort Sean, it's greatly appreciated.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Great Job Sean!!!!

Regarding Cook:
I agree with you that he is probably not a "starting player" because of the many flaws in his game at this time. Against players such as Wilcox (not a topline player) and teams such as Seattle (the 2nd worse team in the Western Conference), he does match up. He will have the opportunity to play a number of years because he can shoot, albeit, not consistent enough to be like a Wally Szerbiak-type of player - he would be a good chance of pace player coming off the bench where all he has to think about is shoot.

Regarding Sasha
At only 21, he is beginning to get the required mindset of a NBA player. He can't seem to transfer his shooting skills in practice to ball games, but he make less mental mistakes than Smush (not suggesting that he replace Smush) - surprising considering his skills appear to be greater than Sasha. When Sasha is able to bulk up, work on fundamentals and acquires more experience - he has the tenacity that coaches/fans like (especially when his skill level increases)
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers play defense like the Bruins did against LSU - Laker fans might be disappointed in some of the results, but they will LOVE the effort!
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Regarding the difference between Smush and Slava:

I think Smush is more of an instinctive player. We've all seen Smush pick someone's pocket, take it the length of the floor, and slam dunk. Smush was schooled in "Streetball", and it shows... He needs the freedom to break loose, and do his thing. It looks like Smush's game is being stymied, perhaps, Phil, or Kobe[?], may have gotten on Smush's case??

Sasha tends to try so hard, to run the triangle, but he too looks kind of crimped, in his style. Sasha will also try and drive the lanes, but he usually settles for the trey.

Right now, I would classify both point guards as good backups, from the bench, on any championship club. In order to get over the hump, in my book, Sasha and Smush would have to develop much better handles. In addition, both points would have to develop the type of "on-court generalship", that a Bibby, Jason Kidd, or Steve Nash possesses. Each point guard has sparkled, in all these categories, from time-to-time, so they do have some potential.

I would have to say that Sasha seems to have the better potential, for being the more fundamentally sound player, with some "on-court generalship". Smush seems to be more impeded, by his early grounding in "Streetball". Smush is more about Showtime.

I could be wrong... It all depends on how much Smush and Sasha want to continue to learn and develop. How well will they listen to the coaches and veterans?
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

Sasha has physical limitations. He is slow footed.

Smush has mental limitations. His refusal to play disciplined NBA ball.

Short of steroids I don't know what Sasha can do.

He can gain strength,in theory, and become a good sg.

But he will never ever have the footspeed to guard NBA pgs.

He can annoy Bibby to no end,and that may be worth a minimum contract and a roster spot.

Smush has the footspeed and the length. All he has to do is change his mind and decide to make a commitment to stay in front of his man and not go for steals on 90% of plays.

Smush's potential > Sasha's potential.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: