Pheonix's fans (presumably) want to play the Lakers in the first round
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleedPurpleAndGold
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Pheonix's fans (presumably) want to play the Lakers in the first round

On the Suns' homepage their poll is which team would they like to face in the first round of the playoffs and a remarkable 56% have said the lakers, with the Hornets (24%), and the Kings and Griz (10% each) lagging behind.

Just FYI, as I thought it was interesting because so many here want to face the suns, and they want to face the Lakers.
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I dont want to face the Suns, they own us, their style of play doesnt match up against well a t all. If I had my pick, I would chose Denver.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pheonix's fans (presumably) want to play the Lakers in the first round

BleedPurpleAndGold wrote:
On the Suns' homepage their poll is which team would they like to face in the first round of the playoffs and a remarkable 56% have said the lakers, with the Hornets (24%), and the Kings and Griz (10% each) lagging behind.

Just FYI, as I thought it was interesting because so many here want to face the suns, and they want to face the Lakers.

I bet if the question was re-phrased "who wants to meet kobe in the 1st round" the results would probably be different
mrdectown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I would want to play us to if i were them. They know we cant keep up.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
I dont want to face the Suns, they own us, their style of play doesnt match up against well a t all. If I had my pick, I would chose Denver.

I don't think we really know about the matchup at this point. We've played them on the end of a back to back every single time we've faced them, and you can't beat Phoenix on tired legs and without time to prepare. Does Minnesota "own" us, too, since we faced them on the end of back to backs and only won 1 game? Of course not. That's not a great measure against a team like that. How will we play each other when we have time to prepare and are rested, that's the question and we don't have the answer at this point.

And please don't bring up last year. This is a completely different team than the 1 boasting 20 SFs and Kobe Bryant. I do love the fact that we play defense and they don't, but I'm ready for the matchup. Phoenix has not been playing too well while we're peaking at just the right time.
FerrisVille
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
gp5 wrote:

I don't think we really know about the matchup at this point. We've played them on the end of a back to back every single time we've faced them, and you can't beat Phoenix on tired legs and without time to prepare. Does Minnesota "own" us, too, since we faced them on the end of back to backs and only won 1 game? Of course not. That's not a great measure against a team like that. How will we play each other when we have time to prepare and are rested, that's the question and we don't have the answer at this point.

And please don't bring up last year. This is a completely different team than the 1 boasting 20 SFs and Kobe Bryant. I do love the fact that we play defense and they don't, but I'm ready for the matchup. Phoenix has not been playing too well while we're peaking at just the right time.
I know the matchups and I don't like it, we are not particulary good trying to run and gun.
Nets, Seattle and Phoenix have given us fits all season.. but I definitely see your point, and the playoffs are said to be a slower halfcourt game.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
gp5 wrote:

I know the matchups and I don't like it, we are not particulary good trying to run and gun.
Nets, Seattle and Phoenix have given us fits all season.. but I definitely see your point, and the playoffs are said to be a slower halfcourt game.

we have 2 more regular season games against them as practice. EVENTUALLY we will break through.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

gp5 wrote:

Hopefully we could get them to play our game instead of trying to play theirs.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

The Suns are giving up huge point totals. I'm predicting this weekends game to be a blowout for the Lakers...

I'm serious... That is why I'm saying it today just so I can go back, and bring this post back up to put on my signature...

cool dude... 8)
Gr8testEver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

The Suns have the most underrated and effective "Kobe-Stopper" in the league in Bell, no wonder they are confident in the desert.

Is it too late to hope for the Mavs or Nugs????
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

They think they own us seriously. I guess they want some pay back from the time we eliminated them in the playoffs. Remember when J Kidd was still there.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Some of you are flat out scaredy-cats. Seriously. These "I'm so afraid of the Suns" stuff is embarrassing.

Gauging our chances against a team that's been playing mediocre basketball for the past month , by looking only at our losses against them which came on the 2nd of back-to-backs, is NOT not an accurate gauge at all. The Lakers typically suck on the 2nd of back to backs, and it has nothing to do with the opponent. We suck against the bottom feeders in those cases, too. Does that mean they'd beat us in the playoffs? Of course not. We're usually just flat in those games, let alone having to slow down a running team on tired legs, when the guys just flew in at 3:00a.m. the night before and haven't even had time to review film or focus on strategies. Those factors do make a difference.

In this instance, Kurt Thomas is hurt. Amare is out. Diaw, at 6'8" is their center. They play no defense. Yet, we should be quaking in our boots when we know the playoffs slow down, We'll be playing on rested legs, and we have a coach who knows how to take away an opponents strongest strength? Yeah, I'm afraid - NOT.

Last edited by LakerJam on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Well Jam I'm with you, and stand by my prediction with all the confidence in the world...
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Well Jam I'm with you, and stand by my prediction with all the confidence in the world...

I really do, too. I just feel it. The Suns already peaked and have no inside presence. The Lakers, on the other hand, are peaking right at the perfect time. I'm ready!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Jam, I actually see Kwame having a field day this weekend now that you mentioned it about the Suns tender middle. Kwame, and LO couldn't operate with Yao in the middle against Houston but, look for Smush, LO, and Walton to have a field day killing the Suns in the paint. Kobe may be ready to stop that nonsense with that 1 of the only 2 known existing Kobe irritants left this week. I just don't see that continuing with Bell. This particular Kobe won't be flying in during the wee hours of the morning... That will make a huge difference...
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I think we can use the Seattle game as a bit of a measuring stick... Hear me out...

The Sonics were playing an uptempo, run and fun, shooting 3's and really speeding up the game in the first half. Lakers don't play that style of game. Sonics ran out to a decent lead in the 2nd quarter.

After the half, the Lakers really slowed it down and executed well in half court sets and really made it a half court battle. Seattle couldn't get there running rythym going again and the Lakers ended up with a big win.

Obviously, the Suns are better at it than the Sonics, but, it's the same game.

Make it a half court battle and beat them up inside. they play a finesse running game, we have to make them battle our tough half court game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

The Suns are so vulnerable, it's not even funny...

The fact that they don't play any D whatsoever means there's always a chance of beating them. They won't be able to run n' gun as much in the playoffs because the Lakers' coaching staff will find a way to slow down their tempo and take away their fast break opportunities. Just wait and see..

And with our defense, and Kobe on our side, I'll take the Lakers over the Suns.
statman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

It's a myth that the Suns don't play defense. Actually, their defense is among the better teams in the NBA, if you look at important numbers like EFG% Teams score a lot of points on them because the pace is so much faster than a normal game.

Another myth is that you can just beat the Suns in a half-court set since they are small. That only works if your post players can pass out of the post and the ball movement is good, because the Suns have the quickest doubles in the league. I know this because I follow the Clippers who have probably a top-3 frontline and have just been beaten down by the Suns the last times they've played. Brand and Kaman are much better bigs than anyone on the Lakers but even they've had trouble against the swarming defense the Suns employ.

D'antoni has figured something out and it's not as simple as "run & gun & no d".
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Over the last 10 games, the Lakers have held every opponent under 100 points. They've given up an average of 92.1 ppg over that stretch with a +4.8 differential and are 7-3.

Phoenix, on the other hand, has held their opponent under 100 only twice over their last 10 games and have given up 109.5 ppg with a differential of +0.2. They're 5-5 during that stretch.

When the Suns are held under 100, they're 5-9. Under 110, they're 22-18. I should throw in that they're 1-4 in overtime games and in 4 of them, they scored under 100 in regulation (3 of those 4 were losses). So 110 seems to be their magic number. Hold them under that, and you dramatically increase your odds of winning according to the statistics. Hold them under 100, and things really start getting interesting.

The Lakers aren't going to do themselves any favors trying to run with them, but they will improve their chances by playing defense via offense. Make Phoenix play defense. Quick 1-and-outs won't do. Wear them down when you have the ball and keep them from pushing the tempo. I remember that people were saying the same things about the Mavs with Nash and Dirk that they're saying about the Suns with Nash and Marion. Lots of points but no defense. And we all know how many titles Dallas won in those days (hint: it rhymes with "hero").

I'm not afraid of the Suns or any other team for that matter. I have no delusions about winning a title this year, but spoiling someone else's playoff run sure would be sweet. Certainly everyone loves to win playoff series, and I'm all in favor of going on a run here and trying to climb the standings to grab that 6th seed, but at 6 or 7 it's a choice between seeing the Suns in the first round or second round anyway, so we may as well get used to the idea of playing Phoenix in the postseason.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

statman wrote:
It's a myth that the Suns don't play defense. Actually, their defense is among the better teams in the NBA, if you look at important numbers like EFG% Teams score a lot of points on them because the pace is so much faster than a normal game.

Another myth is that you can just beat the Suns in a half-court set since they are small. That only works if your post players can pass out of the post and the ball movement is good, because the Suns have the quickest doubles in the league. I know this because I follow the Clippers who have probably a top-3 frontline and have just been beaten down by the Suns the last times they've played. Brand and Kaman are much better bigs than anyone on the Lakers but even they've had trouble against the swarming defense the Suns employ.

D'antoni has figured something out and it's not as simple as "run & gun & no d".

I think the lakers will win b/c of Kobe but I also brought up a while ago about the suns D and people just dont seem to get it. Bottom line is most points wins. They are usually good enough to stop you from scoring more than them
LA_UNION
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Well to the Sun's fans: "be careful with what you wish for, ...."
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers can take Phoenix. 8)
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Have you guys seen a Lakers-Suns game this year? If I was a Suns fan, I'd want the Lakers in the 1st round, too.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Have you guys seen a Lakers-Suns game this year? If I was a Suns fan, I'd want the Lakers in the 1st round, too.

basically we're gonna do just like ole teddy said in your sig
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Too many IFS must be in place for the Lakers to win that series.

If KWame dominates.
If Mihm comes back in time to contribute.
If suns have poor shooting series
If Kobe can drive to the rack and get calls
If Smush can stay in front of Nash
If Sasha can make a bucket
IF nash gets hurt(nothing major of course)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: