Lakers Practice Recap and Pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Lakers Practice Recap and Pics

I went to the Lakers shoot-around this morning. The event was for the season ticket holders who purchased their tickets with the American Express card.

Here is a recap

- There were about 300 people in attendance
- Stu was moderating
- Mitch Kupchak gave the State of the Lakers address. He said that the team is about where they expected it to be at the beginning of the season. They are the second youngest team in the NBA and they lost many close games that they should have won; mainly due to inexperience. The goal before the season was to win 45-48 games and they still have a chance to win 45 games if they sweep the 5 remaining home games.
- They are happy with the way Lamar has been playing since the all star break. Kwame is also developing nicely. Andrew Bynum had a typical rookie season, showing some flashes of what he is capable of doing (Miami and New York games). There were hoping he would get more playing time after Chris Mihm went down, but unfortunately Andrew sprained his ankle during a practice. He practiced with the team today and he may play against the Clippers tonight. They are also expecting Chris Mihm to be back before the playoffs start.
- The goal is to make the playoffs this year. Someone asked Bill Bertka if the Lakers can pull off the first round upset, and he said, "absolutely". He gave NCAA as an example, no one expected George Mason to be in the final four.
- Bill Bertka loves Lamar Odom. He is the most versatile NBA player who can play all 5 positions on the court. He talked about how great it would have been to have Odom playing with the showtime Lakers with Magic, Worthy, Kareem and Cooper. He said they would have been unstoppable. Stu laughed and said, "dreams, dreams, dreams..."
- Mitch said in the offseason the Lakers will try to add an impact veteran player who can play PG, SG and maybe some SF. He said they've been pleased with Smush, but they are looking to add a veteran starter. He didn't say what the plan was to aquire that player, but mentioned free agent signing as a possibility. They are happy with the depth at the center position with Kwame, Mihm and Bynum. Didn't say anything about the PF position.
- Bill Bertka gave a scouting report on the Clippers. He said he worked with Mike Dunleavy when he was with the Lakers in early 90s, and his style of coaching is exploting mismatches. Also Dunleavy likes to milk the hot hand. The player who makes a shot, will most likely get the ball on the next posession, and the next, until he goes cold and they switch to someone else. He said the Clippers are one of the best rebounding teams in the league. Their field goal percentage is also one of the best in the NBA. Cassell and Mobley may come off the bench, and those guys are 2 of the Cippers 3 primary scorers. That could create big mismatches for the Lakers when they are matched up against the Lakers bench.
- Mitch was asked about Kobe and his MVP status. He said Kobe's had a great year and he definitely deserves consideration. Stu added that even though a lot of people are saying that the MVP should be selected from one of the top teams, there have been several instances where that wasn't the case. For example, the first MVP award in 1955-56 was given to Bob Pettit and his team had 7th record, while the NBA only had 8 teams at that time.
- There was a raffle with prizes including various Lakers merchandise, autographed jerseys, caps and a ball autographed by the entire team.
- Every person in attendance got a free Lakers bag.

That's pretty much all I can remember. Others please feel free to add.

Here are some pics that I took at the event.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10
Pic 11
Pic 12
Pic 13
Pic 14
Pic 15
Pic 16
Pic 17
Pic 18
Pic 19
Pic 20
Pic 21
Pic 22
Pic 23
Pic 24
Pic 25
Pic 26
Pic 27
Pic 28
Pic 29
Pic 30
Pic 31
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap, safari.
gsrbruin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

thanks
gsrbruin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Just curious who was kareem working with primarily?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

nice, thx.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Brilliant coverage! Thank you Safari!
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks very much for the photos.

Nice to see Kareem out on the court again.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I notice there's 5 guys wearing purple while everyone else is in yellow. Coincidence or will Luke be starting over Cook? (I hope so)...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Practice Recap

safari_in_cali wrote:

- Mitch said in the offseason the Lakers will try to add an impact veteran player who can play PG, SG and maybe some SF. He said they've been pleased with Smush, but they are looking to add a veteran starter. He didn't say what the plan was to aquire that player, but mentioned free agent signing as a possibility. They are happy with the depth at the center position with Kwame, Mihm and Bynum. Didn't say anything about the PF position.

Sounds like an advertisement for the services of Latrell Sprewell.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

thanks
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Safari!!!
Chrome Hearts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. Mitch looks happy like his usual self.
Chrome Hearts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. Mitch looks happy like his usual self.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Lamar wrote:
I notice there's 5 guys wearing purple while everyone else is in yellow. Coincidence or will Luke be starting over Cook? (I hope so)...

Ooo well spotted dude, we'll find out tonight!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Practice Recap

angrypuppy wrote:
safari_in_cali wrote:

Sure does. If you are talking via free agency. I don't see anyone else who really fits that description that is available.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

^

It would have to be free agency. Too late for the season, and previous attempts were stymied by the 1/2 MLE bet on McKie.

He could fit neatly within 2008 plans, as he'll be 36 before next season. I doubt another team will offer him a 3+ year guaranteed contract with MLE money.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Practice Recap

DancingBarry wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
safari_in_cali wrote:

Sure does. If you are talking via free agency. I don't see anyone else who really fits that description that is available.

Another unimaginative move from the same front office that come up with annual gems like McKie and Divac.

Last time I checked, Spree was done during the western conference finals when we beat Minnesota.

We think Smush is horrible defensively against PGs... wait til Spree is playing PG.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, for the pix...

This doesn't look like what I imagine a Pat Riley practice would look like...

I would rather see them playing full-court, with perspiration flowing down their faces... Overall, it looks too relaxed, but, I suppose, there's a place for the relaxed feel.

I also wonder if they have been working on their defense??

I kept wondering who the guy in the yellow cap was... I'm glad to see Kareem taking such an active role, as a coach. Kareem needs to get more involved with the players, and become accepted.

Last edited by LakersSpirit on Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Only other player that might be close could be Fred Jones, but I wouldn't describe him as particularly veteran or impact.
mrdectown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Picture 14:

JJ: Do these sweats make my ass look big?
LO: Man, I dont know......let me see
Wafer: Me likey bouncy ball
DG: Ok let me get this str8, insted of finding kobe you just shot the ball from here?

Sasha: If and when i get kicked out the leauge, i want this seat

Hamblen: Iwonder How long before they figure out i still work here? Man i need a cigarette
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Only other player that might be close could be Fred Jones, but I wouldn't describe him as particularly veteran or impact.

Has Fred Jones ever played any SF?

I think Fred Jones would be a nice add-on if there's a larger Jermaine O'Neal deal in the works this offseason, though freezing any free agent courting and signing by relying on executing such a trade would be inept.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

mrdectown wrote:
Picture 14:

JJ: Do these sweats make my ass look big?
LO: Man, I dont know......let me see
Wafer: Me likey bouncy ball
DG: Ok let me get this str8, insted of finding kobe you just shot the ball from here?

Sasha: If and when i get kicked out the leauge, i want this seat

Hamblen: Iwonder How long before they figure out i still work here? Man i need a cigarette

LMAO!
KobeBuzzerBeater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The pics of all the players together make it obvious that the Lakers have nobody and Kobe Bryant.

And we're in the Playoffs, in the Western Conference?

Wow.

Can you say M-V-P?
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

WOw. thanks for the pics. those are great.

who is that in Pic 17? looks like craig hodges. is he working with the lakers as an assistant?
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:
WOw. thanks for the pics. those are great.

who is that in Pic 17? looks like craig hodges. is he working with the lakers as an assistant?

yeah, he's a special assistant coach like kareem is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: