Around the Horn topic: KB/Phil which one is biggest reason for LA success

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Around the Horn topic: KB/Phil which one is biggest reason for LA success

First I was suprised the media was actually recognizing what a successful season this has been considering the talent level on this team. I dont take any of those fools seriously but I wouldnt mind having the debate here. I somewhat disagree with the premise that one guy has helped us more than the other. We all saw what KB could do w/o the tri and Phils structure . Although KB had a pretty amazing season for any other player in the league for him it wasnt that great. Its almost a fifty fifty split IMO. Phil brought the offense and KB executed it to the best of his abilities. I tend to want to give Phil more credit b/c my mind works like this

1993-1999 No championships, get swept out of the playoffs (man I hated Utah and San during those years) No defense, No PHil

2000-2004 4 finals appearences in 5 years with 3 rings. Perennial contender and always considered the team to beat even if we didnt win the championship that year. We had Phil

2005 No Playoffs, No defense, NO Phil

2006 Playoffs (Not there yet but lets assume) better defense, Phil

Ok so I guess Im going to go with Phil 55% KB 45%

FYI for those who care

Woody said KB, but took a negative attitude saying the Tri had been turned into the 1

Adande actually broke it down pretty well and explained to Woody how the Tri has created better scoring opportunities and prevents teams from doubling

Michael Smith gave it to KB but in a much more positive light than Woody and said that KB should probably be MVP b/c he has no real talent to play with.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm going with kobe, because i think we would had been just as good of a team last year if not for injuries and without kobe we are worse than the knicks.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

It's both of them. Kobe is great, but it's Phil that has improved their games the most.

Kobe makes them better with his presence on the court. Phil makes them better players with how they think the game between the ears. Both are integral to the success of the team.

Ultimately, I will give the slight edge to Phil because coaching is a huge part of team success.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

FYI I love that Kobe is being recognized for his impact on this team. It's funny how in one breath people slam Kobe for "not making his teammates better" then turnaround and query who has been more key to the success of the team: Phil or Kobe?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is the MVP. He's the reason why this team is even in the playoffs. It's so hard to make the playoffs in the West.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Both. The 2 together are the foundation stone.

Out of curiosity, why did you start your clock with 1993?
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I give the edge to Phil. Why? Because we don't really know what Kobe would be without Phil. He'd be very, very, very good, because he's driven, but would he be the best in the game? Impossible to tell.

So I give Phil Jackson just an EEENSY WEENSY bit of credit for Kobe Bryant being Kobe Bryant, which slides the balance ever so slightly in the direction of Phil.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

drew4lakers wrote:

well I remember we went to the finals in 91 and we were still competitive for a little while after that and I was just lazy and didnt feel like looking up the exact dates of the end of the showtime era when magic retired. Ok I looked it up and Magic retired in 91 so lets go with 92-99
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is great and the main reason we are in the playoffs as for as the game goes.

Phil makes the team better though. So, without Phil, even with Kobe, we have less wins.

I say 50% each.

But, Phil without Kobe? Who knows...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
drew4lakers wrote:

well I remember we went to the finals in 91 and we were still competitive for a little while after that and I was just lazy and didnt feel like looking up the exact dates of the end of the showtime era when magic retired. Ok I looked it up and Magic retired in 91 so lets go with 92-99

Ok. I get it.

Hard to pin down exactly when one era ended and another began. From 1989 on we seemed to be losing at least one piece a year.

But from 92-96, neither Kobe or Phil were Lakers.

think of 91-96 as a mini-era. The Lake Show. In between Showtime and the Combo. Don't know yet what I'll be thinking of the current era as. Something unique though.
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

i'd give kobe 70% and PJ 30

Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobe 30%
Phil 20%
Not having serious injuries to Kobe or Odom 50%
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

It's a combination of both. No way PJ can have the success he's having with anyother player but Kobe. And no way Kobe does this w/o PJ.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I'm going with kobe, because i think we would had been just as good of a team last year if not for injuries and without kobe we are worse than the knicks.

I split it 50-50. And for the record, we had nowhere near as good of a team last year as we do this year, injuries or no injuries.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I agree at 50-50. Kobe has elevated his play to a new level, no doubt. But I think Phil has elevated the others to a level of good team-play.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

50-50.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: