Kobe vote himself for MVP

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Kobe vote himself for MVP

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3696501

EL SEGUNDO - Even if the Lakers come up short in the first round of the playoffs, even if the Maurice Podoloff Trophy for MVP goes to somebody else, Kobe Bryant at least can take something of significance from this season.

With four games left in the regular season, Bryant is almost certain to win his first NBA scoring title and could become the first player since Michael Jordan in 1987-88 to average 35points per game.

It would be only the third scoring title in Lakers history since the franchise moved from Minneapolis, with Shaquille O'Neal (29.7 ppg) winning in 1999-2000 and Jerry West (31.2) winning in 1969-70.

"I think it's an accomplishment on this path that we're on to try to get back to the top," Bryant said. "It's just about the journey, enjoying the journey, and the accomplishments and achievements that we have along the way just makes the journey that much more exciting."

Bryant is averaging 35.2ppg and would average 33.4 ppg even if he failed to score in the last four games. Philadelphia's Allen Iverson is second in the NBA in scoring at 32.9ppg and Cleveland's LeBron James is third at 31.7 ppg.

If Bryant maintains his season average in his last four games, Iverson would need to score 66.3 points a game to catch him.

From the start of the season, Bryant has been steadfast that winning a scoring title means little in the larger picture of the Lakers becoming championship contenders again. Even so, the numbers he has put up this season have been remarkable.

He scored 81 points against Toronto - second only to Wilt Chamberlain in NBA history - and 62 points in three quarters against Dallas. He has scored 50 points or more five times, 40 points or more 25 times and has been held to less than 20 only three times.

"I really don't give it that much thought," Bryant said. "A lot of people talk

about it and they say how difficult it is to do. I just go out there and I work hard every night and I just try to do what I can to help us be successful."

Bryant is 46 points away from matching Elgin Baylor's franchise record for points in a season (2,719) set in 1962-63. He has been pushing toward the playoffs as well, averaging 43.4 points the past five games and shooting better than 50 percent.

It was imperative for Bryant to make scoring a priority this season after the Lakers traded two double-figure scorers last summer in Caron Butler (15.5 ppg) and Chucky Atkins (13.6 ppg) in exchange for Kwame Brown and Laron Profit.

"I try to lead by example and the way that I go about doing it, my role here on this team is to put the ball in the basket," Bryant said. "So I go out there and I try to do what I do best and try to make it infectious and contagious to everybody else."

Assistant coach Brian Shaw, meanwhile, made a strong case for Bryant as MVP when he filled in for Phil Jackson with reporters Monday.

"The knock will be that he shoots the ball a lot, but we need him to shoot the ball a lot," Shaw said. "When he walks out there on the court, the confidence he gives the other guys on the team I think is unmatched."

Bryant was asked who would get his MVP vote after Sunday's game and said matter-of-factly, "I'd vote for myself."

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Kobe is smart by saying that. Because if said Nash or someone else should win it. Then other people won't say Kobe is just being unselfish or anything, they would just say he is right, Nash or someone else should win it. And he said he vote for himself, some people might view us cocky, but it's better than said Nash should win it!!
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Kobe said it "jokingly".

He's still right tough...
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Wait, wait...

"The Devil" votes for himself for MVP and it's not the headline story on Sportscenter, complete with Shaq and Wade's reaction? AND with team coverage, live on the streets in Denver and in Philly for fans reactions??

Damn, someone's getting fired over there!

Bballgirl85
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I would of said my name too lol

Confident not cocky...
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:

(bleep)... i'd vote for kobe too...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

kobe is NOT being pretentious, just honest.

kobe's the MOST valuable player; all other the teams of other candidates would not crash without the team's given candidate;

however the lakers without kobe would be a bottom three team.

believe it or not, and contrary to a few comments from other news sources, there are several individual voters that truly believe that he IS the league's mvp.

problem is, these individuals might not represent the majority....... at least for this year.

imho, kobe is the league's best player and mvp.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

jeremysnow wrote:

imho, kobe is the league's best player and mvp.

and I agree.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: