Help needed...research paper for school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Help needed...research paper for school

I'm doing a research paper for school and need one survey filled out by some random people. if any of you can help me out for 5 mins that would be awesome.

Question 1: How would you best classify yourself? Bold one.
Lower class Lower/mid class middle class mid/upper class upper class

Question 2: If poverty did not exist, society could not function, because we need those impoverished people to do life’s low wage jobs. Do you believe this to be true?

Question 3: Would society be better off if everyone was of equal status? Bold one.
Yes No Maybe (please explain)

Question 4: Who are more valuable to society? Bold one.

Wealthy people Poor people Both are equal

you can either reply to this message or email me @ lakersdynasty999 [AT] aol.com with responses. all my emails will be kept confidential

thanks LG fans

steve
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

mid/upper class

Question 2: If poverty did not exist, society could not function, because we need those impoverished people to do life’s low wage jobs. Do you believe this to be true?

No. Many people in poverty do not work at all and rely on government assistance and social programs. The people in higher tax brackets basically support those in poverty. It all comes to a question of education and effort.

Question 3: Would society be better off if everyone was of equal status?
No. A system of trying to one up your neighbor motivates growth.

Wealthy people

Like I said, the wealthy support the economy. They pay more taxes and effect. Poor people do menial jobs....sure they have to be done, but someone can always do them.
Chrome Hearts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Uh oh, you better delete your post before you get banned. I remember a "sticky" a while back stating asking for HW help is a big no no.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Chrome Hearts wrote:
Uh oh, you better delete your post before you get banned. I remember a "sticky" a while back stating asking for HW help is a big no no.

I don't really know about this he's not asking for help, just for random people to take a survey.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Chrome Hearts wrote:
This should be ok.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed...research paper for school

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
I'm doing a research paper for school and need one survey filled out by some random people. if any of you can help me out for 5 mins that would be awesome.

Question 3: Would society be better off if everyone was of equal status? Bold one.

(Explaination: The perception of various classes pushes Americans in alot
of the same ways in which competitive markets do. The competition for
the opportunities to advance makes the majority of people work harder
and breeds innovation. There are also negatives to the perceived
separation of "classes" such as corruption of government and other
positions of power - including the private sector of course - made more
accessible to the wealthy, and of course not everyone works harder
as a result of the opportunity to move up the scale... some have their
spirits crushed instead thinking it is too difficult to improve their position
in this perceived heirarchy and therefore put less into many factors of
their life thinking there is no point.

you can either reply to this message or email me @ lakersdynasty999 [AT] aol.com with responses. all my emails will be kept confidential

thanks LG fans

steve

(survey completed above)

Tried to keep the explanation part brief. Coulda gone on in alot more
detail

Hope that's enough... good luck with the assignment.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Chef and Soda!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

You are welcome! 8)
LALfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

Question 1: mid/upper class

Question 2: No I do not believe this to be true, I am of the belief that society can function without poverty.

Question 3: Unfortunately no, things wouldn’t be better; I have learned long ago that some people just could never be happy. Somebody somewhere will have a problem with something no matter what.

Question 4: Both, all classes play an important role in this society.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed...research paper for school

Question 1: How would you best classify yourself?

mid/upper class

It's going to depend on your definition of poverty. For most of human history, and even today in most of the world, the line is drawn at a level below which you and a dozen of your closest friends cannot pitch in together and afford a roof over your head, clean enough water to drink, and enough food to keep you healthy. By this definition, the US has proved that society can, in fact, function with no poverty. Not that there are no impoverished people in the US, but as the population below the line has diminished over the past century, society has shown little sign of collapsing.

Of course, as definitions change over time, you find that the definition of "poverty" changes to continue to include plenty of people who would not have been thus classified in a previous era. So in a sense, the answer is that the question is irrelevant. Whether or not society can function without poverty is immaterial, as it is impossible not to have any. The definition will simply change as necessary.

Question 3: Would society be better off if everyone was of equal status?

Maybe (please explain)

There are 2 kinds of status: legal and social. As to the first, absolutely. Society is immensely better off when the government has no definition or concept of class, status, etc. Socially, no, but the reasoning is a bit roundabout. Essentially, stratifying into social status layers is human nature. Thus if there were no social status (or all were equal), it can only have come about by some means of denying people freedom. History proves pretty conclusively that the societies that thrive most are those who protect the freedom of the people. That brings along many regrettable qualities, such as discrimination, social classes, and a wide range between rich and poor.

Question 4: Who are more valuable to society?

Wealthy people

As an economist, I tend to think in economic terms, but here it seems to be appropriate. In a free society, where transactions are voluntary, every transaction benefits both parties and produces positive utility to both. Thus he who has earned the most cash has by definition yielded the most utility to the most people.

Of course this swings widely on the premise that the society is free. In tyrannical societies, it is often the richest who are least valuable, because they have not gained their wealth through voluntary transactions but by force. Here in the US, we call this the government. Government granted monopolies, subsidies, and plain old bribes are detrimental to a free market, and skew the assumption that wealth accumulates to those who yield the most value to society.

Since we're on the topic, I'll leave with one of my favorite jokes:

What's the difference between a mugger and the IRS?
A mugger does not make you fill out forms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

This is false. There are ways to get around doing low wage jobs that do not require poor people. One option is technology. For example, the farmers are always saying they need low wage workers in order to work the fields. But they can always purchase technology to help them plow, seed, and harvest their crops. There's absolutely no reason why we need poverty at all. In fact, having poverty is damaging to a society. For one, our government has set up social programs to help the poor and while the intentions are good, the reality is that it creates a class of people unwilling to work and content in receiving free hand outs. This hurts the entire society as resources could be better diverted in other areas. Furthermore, the more poor people we have in this country, the lower it drives everyone else's wages. This is partly why education is important as it gives you a better chance not to fall into that level of poverty where you would need to compete with so many people for jobs.

If everyone had equal status, it would be called Communism. Everyone needs to work to the best of their abilities and earn their status.

This is a tough question. Depends on what you mean by valuable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: