April 15th: Kobe Sets Franchise Record. L.A. Lakers 110, Portland 99. Brown Won't Lose Starting Role.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: April 15th: Kobe Sets Franchise Record. L.A. Lakers 110, Portland 99. Brown Won't Lose Starting Role.

Lakers' Bryant sets franchise mark in win over Portland

Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Kobe Bryant netted 50 points and in the process set the Lakers' franchise record for points in a season, as Los Angeles defeated the Portland Trail Blazers, 110-99, at the Staples Center.

Bryant came into the contest with 2,704 points on the season, but his 50 points helped him surpass Elgin Baylor's franchise mark of 2,719, set during the 1962-63 campaign.

"I can't take credit for what's happening out there," Bryant said. "I learned it all by watching tapes of Elgin, Oscar Robertson and all the great players. I stole everything and incorporated it into my game."

Not to be out done, Lamar Odom recorded his second straight triple-double with 16 points, 12 rebounds and 12 assists for the Lakers, who have won three straight and nine of 12.

"I hope I can keep it going and take it into the playoffs," Odom said. "I'm staying focused throughout the game. I'm trying to do the little things I need to do to win games."

Last edited by Phil on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

L.A. Lakers 110, Portland 99
Bryant Scores 50 as Lakers Top Blazers
Box Score | Lakers Home | Blazers Home

LOS ANGELES, April 14 (Ticker) -- Kobe Bryant put on another scoring display, but he was not the only member of the Los Angeles Lakers to shine.

Bryant scored 50 points, Kwame Brown collected 20 and nine rebounds and Lamar Odom recorded his second consecutive triple-double as the Lakers posted a 110-99 over the Portland Trail Blazers.

NBA TV highlights from
Blazers-Lakers: Play
With all the big individual performances, Los Angeles (43-37) reduced its magic number to clinch a playoff spot to one. The Lakers also moved 1 1/2 games in front of Sacramento for the seventh seed in the Western Conference.

Bryant scored 50 or more points for the sixth time this season and passed Hall of Famer Elgin Baylor for the team's single-season points record with 2,754.

Last edited by Phil on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 110 Trail Blazers 99

LOS ANGELES Kobe Bryant scored 50 and broke the Los Angeles Lakers' single-season scoring record in a 110-to-99 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers. Elgin Baylor had held the record set in the 1962-63 season.

Bryant scored at least 50 points for the sixth time this season and eleventh time in his career. The Lakers are 8-and-3 in those games.

Last edited by Phil on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

Lakers Get the Best of the Worst

Lowly Portland makes it difficult as usual, but L.A. gets 50 points from Bryant and manages to win, 110-99, and move closer to playoff berth.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
April 15, 2006

The Lakers edged closer to the postseason, a victory away from a playoff berth after finally figuring out how to beat the big (not really), bad (pretty much) Portland Trail Blazers.

The league's worst team had been an embarrassing source of frustration for the Lakers this season, winning two of three against them before the Lakers prevailed, 110-99, Friday at Staples Center.

Kobe Bryant had 50 points and broke another of Elgin Baylor's franchise records, and Lamar Odom pulled off a second consecutive triple-double: 16 points, 12 rebounds and 12 assists.

It wasn't easy — it never was against Portland this season, for whatever reason — but the Lakers managed to regain their composure after losing most of a 21-point lead and moved 1 1/2 games ahead of eighth-place Sacramento. The Lakers need to win one of their final two games, or a loss by Utah in one of its final three games, to clinch a playoff berth.

After finishing 2-19 down the stretch last season, the Lakers couldn't ask for a better burst in the final month this season. They won for the ninth time in 12 games and moved nine victories ahead of last season's woeful 34-48 mark.

"We still have to win another one, I guess," Laker Coach Phil Jackson said. "It felt like this team has got that momentum, and they know the way to do it."

Last edited by Phil on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

Brown Won't Lose Starting Role
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
April 15, 2006

Hit by injuries and ailments throughout the season, the Lakers might require a different type of panacea once they get back to something close to full strength.

With Chris Mihm set to return soon from a sprained ankle that has cost him 16 games, Coach Phil Jackson must assimilate him into a lineup that includes the ever-improving Kwame Brown at center.

Mihm was averaging 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds before coming down on the foot of Seattle forward Rashard Lewis, but Brown has averaged 12.2 points, 8.7 rebounds and shot 61.5% in his absence.

Mihm began practicing with the team Thursday, and he could return Sunday against Phoenix or, more likely, Wednesday in the regular-season finale against New Orleans.

"When he comes back, he'll be in the backup center role as a reliever for Kwame," Jackson said.

Mihm and Brown have occasionally played in the same frontcourt — Mihm at center, Brown at power forward — and Jackson said he wouldn't mind returning to that combination when Mihm gets healthier.

"I hope so," he said. "You know I haven't been afraid to start them … even though it makes our lineup a little more clumsy, not quite as good shooters and keeps us packed in, it does give us a certain defensive strength."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

Lakers: Kobe's 50 equals one

Bryant gets record; L.A. a win away from playoffs
BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer

Lakers' Kobe Bryant attempts the shot Friday against the Blazers. (Gus Ruelas / Staff photographer)
Photo Gallery: Lakers vs. Blazers
The playoff celebration will have to wait another two days, but that didn't stop Kobe Bryant from thinking back to his years growing up in Italy and smiling a little after Friday night's 110-99 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers.

With his 50-point game, Bryant broke Elgin Baylor's single-season franchise scoring record, bringing back memories of watching highlights from Baylor's playing days on an old "Golden Greats of Basketball" videotape.

The two haven't talked much since Bryant chose to re-sign with the Lakers instead of Baylor's Clippers two summers ago, but Bryant wanted to make sure Baylor knew something this morning.

"If he picks up the paper and reads it," Bryant said, "he should know that I owe a lot of it to him and the other great players as well."

The night belonged to Bryant but there were two other notable performances. Lamar Odom delivered his second consecutive triple-double and Kwame Brown totaled 20points and nine rebounds as the Lakers won for the ninth time in 12 games.

Last edited by Phil on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:

Lakers notes: Odom still in the role of inside man
BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer

With an eye on the playoffs, Lakers coach Phil Jackson opted to start Luke Walton for the third consecutive game Friday and match up Lamar Odom inside.

Jackson first made the change Sunday, having Walton take Clippers forward Vladimir Radmanovic, who connected on five 3-pointers in a game earlier this season against the Lakers, and assigning Odom to Elton Brand.

The topic of whether Odom is best served defending power forwards or small forwards has been much debated since the versatile 6-foot-10 forward arrived in the Shaquille O'Neal trade.

Odom can take advantage of his rebounding skills against power forwards and avoid having to fight through screens to stay with smaller shooters on the perimeter. But Odom also is in for a greater pounding playing in the post on defense.

"The game is a little bit more physical when you're guarding power forwards," Odom said. "Your mindset changes on defense on things you need to do, how you need to protect the basket a little bit more."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

Just a few more shots and it's hello, playoffs

Lakers 110, Blazers 99: LA's a win away as Kobe scores 50 to set another Lakers scoring record.

01:39 AM PDT on Saturday, April 15, 2006

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - Kobe Bryant rewrote another page in the Lakers' history books, taking another long-standing record away from Elgin Baylor.
AP photo
Kwame Brown muscles up against Brian Skinner and Portland for 20 points and nine rebounds, and LA cuts its magic number to 1.

For 43 years, Baylor's single-season franchise record of 2,719 points stood -- right up until Friday, when Bryant scored 50 points in the Lakers' 110-99 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers at Staples Center, setting a new mark while reaching 2,754 points.

"It means a lot because we're playing well," said Bryant, having the 10th-highest-scoring season in NBA history. "We're in a position right now where we can get to the playoffs and make some noise.

"I think on this journey we can get back to the top. I think the achievements that we have as a team and individually just makes for a more pleasant journey."

And Bryant, who made 17 of 28 shots, still has two regular-season games left. And he still has work to do, because Utah's victory prevented the Lakers from clinching a playoff spot.

The Lakers, who increased their lead to 1½ games over eighth-place Sacramento in the West, need one more victory or a loss by Utah.

The Lakers have won nine of 12 heading in to Sunday's home game with Phoenix.

"I think we're relatively confident about how we're playing," Coach Phil Jackson said. "We have the ability to test ourselves against a quality team, possible playoff opponent, and it'll tell us a little bit more about how much we have to go to be competitive in the playoffs."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

Odom Flexing His Muscle

Broderick Turner

10:00 PM PDT on Friday, April 14, 2006

LOS ANGELES - For about two months, Lamar Odom has been working with the Lakers' training staff and his personal trainer on improving his strength.

Odom has lifted more weights and weighs between 241 and 244 pounds, "so hopefully I can be quick enough to guard the small forwards and then strong enough to guard a power forward," he said.

Lately, Odom has been starting at power forward, mainly because it has given the Lakers advantageous matchups. The Lakers have started Odom at power forward with Luke Walton at small forward, including Friday night against the Portland Trail Blazers.

Thinking ahead to a possible playoff matchup with Phoenix, Coach Phil Jackson said he will start Odom at power forward Sunday against the Suns so that Odom can defend 6-foot-7 power forward Shawn Marion, a small forward playing out of position.

"That's a matchup that's most likely going to happen," Odom said of a Lakers-Suns series. "They've got a funny lineup and we've had problems matching up with them. Sunday will be a good test."

While his role in the offense doesn't change, Odom appears to be a stronger rebounder when he starts at power forward.

"The game is a little bit more physical when you're guarding power forwards," Odom said. "Your mind-set changes on defense, on the things you need to do. Now you need to protect the basket a little bit more. You're not on the outside just floating around."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Preview: Suns at Lakers

Associated Press
Sat, Apr 15, 2006

GAME: Phoenix Suns (52-27) at Los Angeles Lakers (43-37).

TIME: Sunday, 3:30 p.m. EDT.

LINE: Oddsmakers have not yet set a line for this game.

After a record-setting performance, Kobe Bryant tries to help the Los Angeles Lakers clinch a postseason berth as they host the Phoenix Suns in a potential first-round playoff matchup at the Staples Center.

Bryant scored 50 points Friday, breaking Elgin Baylor`s single-season points record, as the Lakers defeated the Portland Trail Blazers 110-99 for their third straight win and ninth in the last 12 games.

Los Angeles is seventh in the Western Conference, and can clinch a playoff berth with a victory or a loss Sunday by the Utah Jazz at Dallas.

Bryant, who shot 17-of-28 from the field, has 2,754 points, 35 more than Baylor had in the 1962-63 season.

The 6-foot-6 Bryant, a student of the game, said he watched the current Los Angeles Clippers vice president of basketball operations and other former stars on a tape called ``Golden Greats of the NBA`` when he was a child.

``I just steal all of their moves and incorporate them into my game,`` Bryant said. ``I copied Elgin`s first step. It`s actually a `rocker` step, which is kind of a stutter move.``

An eight-time All-Star, Bryant has six 50-point games this season and 11 overall. The Lakers are 8-3 in those games, but one of those losses came in a 107-96 defeat April 7 at Phoenix.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: