Computer help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Computer help

Ok, I dropped my laptop today off the couch. The battery popped out, but I had the adapter plugged up so it stayed on. I put the battery back in and everything seems to be working fine. About 30 minutes to an hour later, a blue screen pops up with the white lettering. It says some stuff about, "If this is the first time you've seen this screen restart your computer blah blah yadda yadda" and it also mentions "you may have hardware on your computer needing installed." I restarted the computer and about an hour later, it did again.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Yeah, you dropped your laptop off the couch.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

Divac12_NoviBeograd wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, you dropped your laptop off the couch.

:roll:

It works fine for about an hour so. Perfectly normal. Then it starts doing that (bleep).

But thanks for the wasted response.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

Just a guess, but from the error message it sounds like the fall loosened one of the components within your laptop. I doubt it has anything to do with the battery.
daxeqtr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Computer help

magic_bryant wrote:
Ok, I dropped my laptop today off the couch. The battery popped out, but I had the adapter plugged up so it stayed on. I put the battery back in and everything seems to be working fine. About 30 minutes to an hour later, a blue screen pops up with the white lettering. It says some stuff about, "If this is the first time you've seen this screen restart your computer blah blah yadda yadda" and it also mentions "you may have hardware on your computer needing installed." I restarted the computer and about an hour later, it did again.

Ahhhh The Blue Screen of DEATH! seriously thats what people call it. There might be something loose inside like a stick of ram or something. Take it back to where you bought it and have them check it out.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

try popping your memory out and sticking it back in.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Sudden power-ups/power-offs can sometimes damage sectors or corrupt data on your Hard Disk Drive. If any of those damaged sectors/corrupt data files are related to drivers (the software that runs your hardware) or the operating system (i.e. Windows) you may need to fix/replace the corrupt files. The easiest way to do this is to just re-install Windows (you may lose data). You can also manually search and replace the corrupted data files with the windows repair console. If your laptop is still under warranty, bite the bullet and have the factory fix it (this may take quite a few weeks). If its not, then check that RAM (like the above posters advised), then re-install Windows.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:

What kind of computer do you have?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Ok, sorry I haven't replied in forever. Computer was SERIOUSLY jacked up. It wasn't even reading my hard drive or anything yesterday. It was loading up with the "no bootable devices found." So, I run a dianostics test real quick. Everything is working fine until it begins testing the hard drive. I take my hard drive out and put it back into make sure it wasn't jarred loose or something. Windows begins opening again but the computer is so unbelievably slow. It literally freezes for a minute when I would try to open up my start menu. But Windows is open so the hard drive can't be TOO jacked up, but after 10-15 minutes of usage the blue screen of death pops back up.

So, I call Dell and they say that they can't help me out. That I'll need a "local technician" to fix it. So, I say screw that. I take the computer's casing apart myself, to get a peak inside. Everything is intact. Wires are still attached to their respective parts. Power strips are still connected, etc. I take the back off my memory, nothing seemed to be loose there either.

So, I just decided to close the case and reset all of the screws and wait to have a "local technician" check it out. (the convo with the Dell service guy pissed me off...totally condescending in his "local technician" speech)

But I just now tried to turn it on and "voila!". Computer is running normal. As fast as ever. And I'm getting my LG fix in for missing the last 2 days. YAY!!!

I'm HOPING that when I dropped it, the case jarred just enough to where when I resealed it today, I rest everything.

But whatever, I have LG back.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Ugh. I'm soo pissed off. The computer had more wrong than I thought.

When I dropped the computer, it totally screwed the harddrive and optical drive up. I bought a new hard drive and stuff. But when I reinstalled Windows XP, it's not letting me get on the internet. But here's the really weird thing, when I try to create a network using the network setup wizard, it says that my network is already configured and should be working. I can't even create an Icon for it. When I open my Internet Explorer, it won't load anything, so I KNOW it isn't already configured as it says.

Also, Dell never sent me a "Drivers and Utilities" disk for reinstalling my Intel PRO/100 VE Network adapter card. I'm assuming I'd need that since I reinstalled Windows, correct? Is there anyway I can get the information for the Network Card off the old hard drive onto the new hard drive, and if so, how? I can get the new hard drive to work every now and then, it just takes some serious time.

Thanks in advance.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Usually you can download drivers online. Whatever computer you're using now, I'm pretty sure you can find the driver for the network card from the intel support website, download it, and transfer it using a floppy, cd, or something else.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
Usually you can download drivers online. Whatever computer you're using now, I'm pretty sure you can find the driver for the network card from the intel support website, download it, and transfer it using a floppy, cd, or something else.

Thanks alot!!
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

Good Luck. I dropped my laptop about an hour ago. Hopefully your issue has been resolved, and I won't have any.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

THANK YOU CHARLES!!!

I downloaded the driver and it's working great now. Thanks a TON, Charles. You the man!

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Since I've re-installed Windows XP, it has my settings all weird. My fonts the on webpages are all screwed up and it also has that "text darkener" thing enabled that makes the text VERY dark and I want to change it. I've went into appearances and themes, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for so that I can change it.

Any help? Thanks.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

the same exact thing happened to me,i just left it alone because it wasnt working then about a week later my brother accidently hits a button and it works fine
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: