SI: Western Conference Secret Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: SI: Western Conference Secret Weapons

LINK

Quote:
#2 of 9: Chris Mihm, Los Angeles Lakers
He played on Wednesday for the first time since March 12, and while the results weren’t encouraging (two points and one rebound in 13 minutes), there’s still hope that he’ll regain his form. With the spaced-out playoff format, Mihm, an underrated interior presence who averaged 10 points, six rebounds and a block in 05-06, will have ample time to rest his bum ankle and shake off the rust.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject:

I've said all year that he's legit.

Not a star, but certainly a presence.

At full health? A better offensive post-player than Kwame (who's numbers
I love lately don't get me wrong, and given his defense I have no
probelm with Kwame being the starter, but Kwame has one move, Mihm
has two if not three legit moves in the post).

If he can get healthy, even enough to give us 15-20 quality minutes, that's
a huge help.
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject:

I'd like to think he will be a secret weapon in the Suns/Lakers series, but I really don't think we'll use him much unless Kwame is in a slump. However, if we do end up using both Kwame and Mihm frequently in the first round, I suppose that would bode well for us. With all that being said, I have more hope from productivity from Mihm if we get past the first round.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject:

If he were fully healthy, I think he'd catch alot of people off-guard by a
couple of games in.

But the reports are that he won't be fully healthy until next season (or
until he can rest the ankle for a handful of weeks) - so I'd agree, don't
expect the Mihmba to be a huge contributor.

That said, I think he could still pull out a game or two with 20 mins of
surprising offensive performance.

He's got a nice advantage the way his little baby turn-around works and
the way he works his feet against a "center" like Diaw or Grant.
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:

a huge help.

Having post moves doesn't necessarily mean you're more effective, especially one that doesn't draw double teams(which happens obviously when you aren't efficient enough with the post moves.) Kwame is shooting 60% from putbacks and deep postups, I'll take that over Mihm's "post moves" anyday.
KobeAgainstDaWorld
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

Well, he does have good help defense, something that Kwame struggles with. He's gonna block a large amount of shots against the suns.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

If we can get 16 and 8 from Kwame and 8 and 4 and 2 blocks from Mihm, we will win. This would mean that the Lakers are a) playing their tempo and b) controlling the interior.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

I just hope Mihm can get healthy. His hook shot and footwork were looking pretty good recently.
KobeAgainstDaWorld
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

Chris just needs to warm up. He'll be ready for the playoffs. He'll be great coming off the bench.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

KobeAgainstDaWorld wrote:
Well, he does have good help defense, something that Kwame struggles with. He's gonna block a large amount of shots against the suns.

Kwame struggles with defense? Hahahaha. OMG, thank you for giving me my first good belly laugh of the day. I suppose Mihm is a better post defender... Mihm has been on more posters than Pamela Anderson, his weakside help D is good, but man does he get crammed on alot. Please remind me the last time we watched Kwame get dunked on.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:

Kwame struggles with defense? Hahahaha. OMG, thank you for giving me my first good belly laugh of the day. I suppose Mihm is a better post defender... Mihm has been on more posters than Pamela Anderson, his weakside help D is good, but man does he get crammed on alot. Please remind me the last time we watched Kwame get dunked on.

What?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

When guys get posterized a lot of the time it's because they're trying to rotate over to help a teammate who's gotten beat but they get there too late and get crammed on.

Kwame actually is still so late rotating that he's not even there in time to get posterized - or get a chance to block/change the shot. Great man D, but man, it's still painful to watch him be lost in the team D.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

BraveHeartII wrote:
sodapoppenski wrote:

a huge help.

Having post moves doesn't necessarily mean you're more effective, especially one that doesn't draw double teams(which happens obviously when you aren't efficient enough with the post moves.) Kwame is shooting 60% from putbacks and deep postups, I'll take that over Mihm's "post moves" anyday.

Well, since they're BOTH Lakers, it's not necessary to choose one or be negative about the other. We hope they BOTH do well and the differences in their games, are precisely why it's beneficial to this club. You want your big men to give you different looks. In fact, if you think about it, all of our big men are quite different. I love that about our young big man corp.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:

Relax. Not everything is a insult that requires you to be condescending to that poster. If you read his post, you'd notice that he didn't say Kwame "struggles with defense", he said Kwame struggles with "HELP" defense - there's a difference.

I love Kwame's all around defense, but there's no doubting that it's his man up defense that is his biggest strength on that end of the court. He's not a great shot-blocker, which is part of help defense, but since that's Mihm's strength, the combination of the 2 is nice.

The irony of your post is that there you are talking down to the poster as though you're so superior basketball wise, and yet the examples you give about Mihm being stuffed, typically involve his man to man defense or have often resulted from his trying to recover when giving help defense. Kwame doesn't get stuffed because his man defense is superb. You do realize that it at least looks like you're the one who doesn't recognize the difference in help vs. man defense, while having a holier than thou attitude with another poster.

It's kinda funny, actually.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

Well....he's a body....that's about it.
RePLAY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:

We know the real secret...

Kwame has purposely been playing bad since he got drafted with the Wiz so the Lakers can pick him up.

Then he purposely plays bad all season to pretend that he sux and will surprise Phoenix with his interior dominance.

#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

he hacks to much and if we get over the foul limit we all know phoenix can hit free throws
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

Mihm will get back on form, just he's gotta watch his fouls he gives his fouls away early on in the game on silly things.
KobeAgainstDaWorld
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:

Prpl Reign, sorry, but you misunderstood me buddy. If you read my post you'll notice that I said Kwame struggles with HELP defense. Kwame is a great man to man defender while Mihm is a descent help defender. That's what I meant.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:

Prpl Reign, sorry, but you misunderstood me buddy. If you read my post you'll notice that I said Kwame struggles with HELP defense. Kwame is a great man to man defender while Mihm is a descent help defender. That's what I meant.

I apologize, as I did totally misread your initial post. Your assessment of their respective gifts is the same as mine.
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Secret Weapon is Aaron McKie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SABINO63
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
PrplReign wrote:

Relax. Not everything is a insult that requires you to be condescending to that poster. If you read his post, you'd notice that he didn't say Kwame "struggles with defense", he said Kwame struggles with "HELP" defense - there's a difference.

I love Kwame's all around defense, but there's no doubting that it's his man up defense that is his biggest strength on that end of the court. He's not a great shot-blocker, which is part of help defense, but since that's Mihm's strength, the combination of the 2 is nice.

The irony of your post is that there you are talking down to the poster as though you're so superior basketball wise, and yet the examples you give about Mihm being stuffed, typically involve his man to man defense or have often resulted from his trying to recover when giving help defense. Kwame doesn't get stuffed because his man defense is superb. You do realize that it at least looks like you're the one who doesn't recognize the difference in help vs. man defense, while having a holier than thou attitude with another poster.

It's kinda funny, actually.

Very true! Mihm has very good work habits and his efforts second to none. I felt that throug the middle of season when Lakers were strugling to stay at or above .500 he was a big contributer.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Kwame's only got one move? I sense hyperbole.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:

BraveHeartII wrote:
sodapoppenski wrote:

a huge help.

Dunks will raise your percentage.

I'm not knocking Kwame, he's been taking smart opportunities and not
forcing it.

Mihm still shoots a very solid percentage.

Think what you want, but Kwame is not as offensively refined as Mihm in
the post.

He may one day get there, and he's certainly shown alot of improvement,
but the guy still does have essentially one go-to move - and in a series,
that is more likely to get honed in on than a player who has a couple
options.
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers advance past Phoenix, Mihm will be needed against either the Clippers or the Nuggest who both have alot more size than the Suns.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: