SUNS -at- LAKERS - 4/28 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject:

From LA Times on Kwame:

Then in the third quarter, Brown threw an elbow that knocked Boris Diaw to the floor, a technical foul. Brown stood over him in a taunting fashion. Brown's teammates yelled at him to cut it out.

"They had been pushing and shoving me, and I wanted it to stop," Brown said.

^^Got damn, Kwame is getting aggressive and showing off those muscles This may be my new sig
teej
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah Kwame looked so intimidating when he was pissed.

The lady has officially became a MAN!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

Smush Parker has been tremendous in this series. After a shaky 1st qtr defensively in Game 1, the guy has been nails and is giving Nash all he wants.

The two post-ups in a row on Nash last night were excellent!
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

One big factor, that bothers me, is the stamina of Odom. Lamar has been playing some big minutes, and taking a big brunt of the load. There was a stretch, where Lamar was losing his grip on the ball; passes were slipping through his hands. The stress has to be getting to Lamar; he was also missing his free throws.

I was dissatisfied with our focus on the basket. There were many "chippies", and layups, that should have gone in. I continue to be happy with the newfound team play of Kwame, Smush, and Luke. Paul Westphal gave the team some big compliments. We've come a long way, as a team. We just have to eliminate some of those "jitters", make good decisions, and maintain our composure and focus.

I believe Kobe has to be aggressive, early in the game, and get the team into a rhythm. Once the team gets into a rhythm, Kobe can become more of a facilitator, and let the ball come to him. Kobe has to be ready to be the aggressor, and start the whole process again, if the team starts to sputter. We have to keep penetrating, and attacking their soft center.

I think we've been having good luck, with Kobe drawing the defenders, and then, kicking out to the open man.

Last edited by LakersSpirit on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
mr_yogabear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

I like what we are doing.. the ball movement, our great defense.. i like the way how we control the tempo.. but, kobe should start making shots especially when needed or in the 4th quarter or else we'll be in trouble.. im not saying he should take all the shots, but if he should make it when he take them.. we had a little bit of luck in the end on the 2 wins that we had, its hard to have them on 3rd straight time.. but nevertheless, good job lakers.. just protect our home court, just listen to our coach, the we'll see u on 2nd round..
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

Thought the passing from within the post was very good. Kwame especially was impressive.

A little worried about LO's passing/handling against doubles. Maybe it was fatigue - but I think he panics a bit with the doubles in the post. He must be more decisive and not rush the pass. He seems to want to just get rid of the ball as soon as the double comes.

The rebounding is spectacular. Nothing more to say on that.

Kobe's shooting under 40% and averaging 22.5 points through 3 games. Yet, the Lakers are up 2-1. You know Kobe is just going to explode in one of these games and have a great shooting night.

This next game is the series clincher for us IMO. Words can't describe how eager I am for them to win this next game on Sunday.

I hope JD's right and it's easier than the last 2 wins. With us missing the playoffs last season, I forgot what these playoff series did to my blood pressure
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

great work DB!

we were fortunate to ward off the courageous onslaught of the phx suns. the suns were able to work their offense in the third quarter.

however, kobe working his all around game, contributed to infirmity of the suns.

no longer can the suns just triple team kobe and expect clankers from smush, sasha and luke.

the lakers are schooled in attacking the spaces of the triangle, especially when it's close to the basket.

the suns know that steve nash cannot handle smush down low at the post, nor can boris diaw and shawn marion handle the physical barrage at the block of both kwame and LO. 19 rebound laker advantage; nearly 20 point in the paint difference?

the suns scored more on the fast breaks and three pointers. more power to them.

in the final two minutes, when LO's tongue was hanging out . kobe decided to step it up.

as tired as LO was, the suns were WORSE OFF!!!, their legs could barely get under them.

now that TT*** is back to earth and once again injured, the suns will have to do emergency measures, i.e. small ball.

Quote:

***tim thomas, looked as though he suffered a rotatory strain, when his own teammate, contacted his LEFT foot (causing an external rotation of his LEFT lower extremity). There might have also been contact on his knee. however, judging from whether he was able to return, it looks to me, judging from a distance and (after reviewing my TIVO), that it might be a strain on the medial knee components (e.g. at least a mild strain on the medial collateral ligament, possibly the medial meniscus).

well this left knee injury dates before january 25, 2005. in fact he hurt his RIGHT calf, claiming that the right calf injury occurred by "overcompensating for a weak left knee." this may be true, however, TT has not been diligent about training seriously. he needs a serious commitment to kobe's preseason workout (private workouts he's led prior to this preseason ).

TT underperformance, sped the departures of head coaches lenny wilkins & herb williams, in new york.

after his trade to NYK, he didn't play much due to a wrist sprain :roll:, isaih thomas realized that all the hearsay was true, sending him to the bulls (along with michael sweetney, in exchange for eddy curry). however, coming into the bulls preseason, he sprained both ankles after three games. the guy never fit in there (guard oriented offense).

I've watched TT from his days at Milwaukee, incidentally his best games were against LA (it seems), where he simply chose to make jump shots. physical contact or points in the paint was a part of his game; which is why game one (15 rebounds) surprised everyone!
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

D'Antoni seemed to think the knee injury was not serious.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Is it just me, or isn't it amazing at how, outside of JJ and McKie, we have an average age of 24 years old, and yet, they look like 10 year vets?

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's just them being naive to the situation, but whatever it is, they honestly look like 10 year vets for most of this series..........

keen observation

I've been of the opinion that the lakers have the most underrated coaching staff in the nba (namely phil's assistants).

credit to mitch to add aaron mckie (solid "glue" contributor in practices, huddles and in the lockerroom). mckie has the respect of many of the lakers for his attitude and past history. he hasn't played much, but watch him on the bench. class act.

also, add JJ to the list. jj is a VERY knowledgeable resource. he's been instrumental in the film sessions, in breaking down the suns tendencies. jj gives the lakers added intelligence. when JJ retires, I could see him being a basketball coach at some level. articulate and intelligent.

during the timeouts and halftimes, both JJ and mckie are getting their messages. just before phil does his short chat, just before breaking the huddle.

besides, DG and kobe, JJ and mckie are providing the "veteran leadership" behind the scenes (and it is NOT UNNOTICED BY PHIL).

jeremysnow wrote:

Can someone please post the Lakers-Suns scouting report on ESPN Insider?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:05 am

.........also consider this, both JJ & mckie are underrated assets. I have been one of the biggest supporter of acquiring both jackson & mckie............

jeremysnow wrote:

MVN: Game 1 Report by Yannis and Part II of the Suns Playoff Report
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 am

.........I have a feeling that mckie and a few of the vets will factor in somehow, either on the court or as mentors.

I love how both JJ & mckie are talking to the laker guards on the sidelines (along with bshaw).

this type of veteran leadership will be very helpful, as we go deeper into this series............

jeremysnow wrote:

Can someone please post the Lakers-Suns scouting report on ESPN Insider?
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:23 am

.........4. finally, there's all this talk about d'antoni vs. phil. hey, it might be that, however, my vote goes to both brian shaw (guard/tri facilitator coach) & kareem (big man's coach), both with tons of successful CHAMPIONSHIP playoff knowledge in their areas. and this valuable knowledge is slowly being eschewed by the young disciples .
a side note: this is the first year, we've had a designated coach for big men, and it will continue to pay off. .........
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

teej wrote:
Yeah Kwame looked so intimidating when he was pissed.

The lady has officially became a MAN!

The lady? Being quiet doesn't mean you're a pansy. :roll:

^^ Farmar

jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
D'Antoni seemed to think the knee injury was not serious.

thanks target!

HOWEVER........

with TT, you never know.

the guy is a classic underachiver; low pain tolerance type.

however, for this year, up to now, Mike D'Antoni's has gotten TT's ear, by stating that he's not paying any attention to his past (underperformance); TT also knows that his career is basically at a crossroads (currently earning the league's minimum (similar to JJ with the lakers); however TT last year with the nyk, TT earned $12 million that season )

Incidentally, this knee issue has been a recurring problem for over a year; whether it's real, "not serious," or "the usual" with TT, we'll have to wait and see.

my take from watching the body language of a few key staffers at the phoenix bench, is "oh boy! (not again)" :roll:

Quote:

Thomas to miss a few Knicks games due to calf injury
Jan. 25, 2005
SportsLine.com wire reports

..........Thomas sat out three games earlier this month because of the injury to his right calf, which he believes was caused by overcompensating for a weak left knee. He returned last Monday against Chicago but was ineffective in three straight games before sitting out Sunday's loss to Milwaukee (his former team ).

Thomas underwent on MRI on his right calf, which revealed a strain*.

if an mri was to be done on LO or Kobe, they're be strains all over their bodies
(unfortunately, pro sports & injuries are partners to each other )
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

LOOK OUT, PLAYOFF BASKETBALL IS BACK IN L.A. THE STAPLES CENTER WAS ROCKING LAST NIGHT.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

NKPOG = Rest Of Team

Solid team effort from all. Smushie with the scoring and the entire starting front court each had 2x2's. Hold home court and we're into the next round!

Phx did a better job of getting the tempo their way last night, winning the fastbreak points 20-0

Phx shot from 3-land better 10/23.

Phx even did a better defensive job, holding the Lakers to 41% shooting.

But all that was negated by the Lakers 16-3 advantage in offensive rebounds, leading to a massive 58-30 points in the paint discrepancy. They should've known they were in trouble when Cookie starts pounding the boards. He alone had 6 of the 16 o-boards.

"No rebounds, no rings" - still resonates.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

We gotta be careful. I felt the pace was picking up this game. We were tasking alot of quick 3 pointers and rushing our shot. Not good against the Suns. We kind of went out of our gameplan in a few stretches especially in the second quarter and 4th. And Phoenix in turn took advanatge.

I remeber reading a stat of how suns had 28 fast break points compared to Lakers 0 fast break points.

Slow it down guys!! No good will come out of playing at their pace.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
LOOK OUT, PLAYOFF BASKETBALL IS BACK IN L.A. THE STAPLES CENTER WAS ROCKING LAST NIGHT.

I've been told that the nba is pleased of the early indications, that there ratings are up some (vs. last year's ratings )

does it have to do ANYTHING with the kobe & the lakers being in the playoffs?
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

jeremysnow wrote:
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:

I've been told that the nba is pleased of the early indications, that there ratings are up some (vs. last year's ratings )

does it have to do ANYTHING with the kobe & the lakers being in the playoffs?

I also think the angle that the Lakers are really underdogs this time around is adding to the allure. Kinda like seeing the past greatness hovering over this team, giving them an extra dimension.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

klone

good point!
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 4/28 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
"He's made them a better team by believing in his teammates," Steve Nash said afterward. He's just executing the game plan and trying to carve up your team, Steve.

Thank you. I am getting tired of everyone saying this stuff. The Suns have a problem, we are exploiting it, I fully expected Kobe to lead the way like this.
SV_18
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

Gotta love the way the team is playing. Kobe is setting others up making them as the media would like to say "better", LO is just being a complete beast. At times you have to forget that The Matrix is even out there. Luke, what can i say about Luke, he has been a great compliment to Kobe and Lamar. Luke has been scoring, rebounding, creating, and opverall playing some good help D. Smush, as lazy as he played during the season, he's making up for it now by beating Nash up all game long. Taking it to the Suns quite hard offensively.

During the season we had one of the thinnest bench's in the league, but this bench seems to be pulling it together. Sasha is out there fearlessly taking it to the MVP draining three after three after three, playing tenacious D, and all around good team ball. Sasha is taking the momentum away from the Suns about EVERY time he comes in and the Suns have mad a run. Its a completely different game when his shots are falling. Cook, still having soft D but having a couple of games where hes been able to provide a nice scring punch off the bench. Even pulling down 7 boards in 11 minutes. George is the one player standing out as he just seems to not be able to get it like he used to. Hopefully DG can get it together in the next game or so.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: ***UP WITH THE LAKERS CAR FLAGS!!! DOWN WITH THE SUNS!!!***

***UP WITH THE LAKERS CAR FLAGS!!! DOWN WITH THE SUNS!!!***
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
BigRedApple13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Phoenix: It's a different world playing the Lakers when they have fresh legs isn't it lol? Also, when you don't have an early 15 pt. cushion like in the earlier meetings.

The defensive rotations in the halfcourt definitely wasn't as sharp as in Game 2 and cost the Lakers a chance to bury them early but the Laker dominance on the glass killed any chance for the Suns to gain momentum throughout the game. Sure in the 2nd and 4th quarters, the Suns strung up a few points in transition but after a Laker timeout, the Lakers went back to work with either Luke/Odom/Brown in the post and calmed things down.

The funny thing, is that despite the Lakers poor shooting (total, from 3 and at the line), they still dominated most of the game. Shows the importance of defensive rebounds, finishing plays in the paint and good team defense. It was heartwarming to see the Lakers beat a semi-elite team without shooting lights out for a change. That's the formula for the Lakers to becoming a championship elite team once again in the near future.

I applaud all of the starting five for their performances last night.

Luke-For his work on the glass, taking it to his man in the post and sending a message very early in the game
Smush-For his energy, hustle and finishing ability
Lamar-For his ownage on the def. glass and punishing the Suns forwards once again in the post
Kwame-For being the beast in the paint, anchoring the D and laying out Diaw
Kobe-For his 46 minutes of intensity on both ends of the floor

DB: Have you started to think about how the Lakers can defend the Clips in the post and the rebounding edge the LAC would have coming into the series if both teams held on to win their series?
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
We gotta be careful. I felt the pace was picking up this game. We were tasking alot of quick 3 pointers and rushing our shot. Not good against the Suns. We kind of went out of our gameplan in a few stretches especially in the second quarter and 4th. And Phoenix in turn took advanatge.

I remeber reading a stat of how suns had 28 fast break points compared to Lakers 0 fast break points.

Slow it down guys!! No good will come out of playing at their pace.

You're right... We can't look past Phoenix... We have to treat them as a dangerous, cornered beast. We have to have the "killer instinct", to seriously take them out, as soon as possible. We can't do it by rushing, or being overanxious, or overconfident. We have to do it, by being focused on the gameplan. We have to continue to survey the floor, and recognize what they're doing, and find the open man.

I'll go out on a limb, and say that with more consistency, in the positive things we do, and with more focus and composure, I would place us in the same category as the best Laker Teams, of the past. I just keep wishing that there was a fine tuning knob, that would fine tune the rough edges...

Last edited by LakersSpirit on Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
b_b_belmont
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Friday was a great, great win. The atmosphere at Staples was electric!

Lakers have got to come ready tomorrow. Just that simple. We've dictated tempo for the better part of 11 quarters but did have some lapses on Friday that I think were due to the emotion of us coming back home. I expect Phoenix to come out firing and aggressive, perhaps more so than at any other time this series.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thought the passing from within the post was very good. Kwame especially was impressive. A little worried about LO's passing/handling against doubles. Maybe it was fatigue - but I think he panics a bit with the doubles in the post. He must be more decisive and not rush the pass. He seems to want to just get rid of the ball as soon as the double comes. I hope JD's right and it's easier than the last 2 wins.
Wolf makes a good point of something to watch, LO's fatique that results in mental mistakes. With Smush, PJ can sub with Sasha - the same options does not exist with LO since Mihm is still injuried.

PJ and his coaching staff deserves serious props for their long-range planning of being successful in the playoffs - instead of listening to many of our admittedly short-sighted demands of instant success.

McKie & JJ has definitely been very beneficial on the bench (similar to Sam Cassell's role on the Clippers) so that the players don't tire of hearing PJ & Kobe all the time. From a team that is the 2nd youngest in the league, presently they have the needed experience on the court (i.e. Kobe, LO, Luke) and on the bench (JJ, McKie) - despite JJ taking ill-advised 3-point shots when it was 1 on 4 in an earlier game

Somebody noted that the Suns has far greater "fast-break" points to the Lakers of ZERO and expressed concern. IMO - this stat is not of any concern by itself because the Lakers do not want to run AT ALL, hence no fast-break points but controlling the tempo of the game while allowing Kobe/LO play major (40+) minutes easily.

What should be of concern is monitoring the Lakers' ability to maintain their mental focus and toughness to stick to their game plan - a very good problem. It means Smush "sticking" to Nash and making him go back for the ball instead of getting the ball on the fly, Kwame continually learning to relax/slowing down when initiating his offense while playing strong "D" with getting boards and LO staying AGGRESSIVE! What do you think are the signs/barometers that will indicate that we are starting to get into trouble?
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

The Mad Chinaman asked about the signs/barometers that will indicate we're in trouble... We don't like to think of it, but one of the trouble signs will be when we let them establish their tempo, and Nash is just penetrating, at will. In itself, however, that will not be the entire story. We have seen stretches, when Phoenix starts to dictate the pace, and Nash penetrates at will, but we have been coming back from that, and reestablishing our own pace.... The biggest problem will be if we completely lose our composure, and fail to recover. Another bad sign will be, if Kobe gets frustrated, and just starts jacking them up...

Like I say, however, we don't like to think of those things, and I don't think they're going to happen. This team has developed some real cohesiveness, and we've been able to withstand whatever the opponent puts out, and then, make our own comeback...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: