SUNS -at- LAKERS - 5/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject:

Bynum?
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject:

After we lose game 7, we'll be the new laughing stock in the NBA and everyone will refer to as the Los Angeles Chokers.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject:

pask wrote:
Enter Sasha and George. With 7 seconds, Kobe puts in the ball to Odom in the low post. Sasha on top of the key, George and Kwame in the weak side for the offensive rebound. At least , you can take some attention off Kobe. Plus they were in the bonus. Take the ball to the basket, just not settle for a jumper against two defenders.
Everybody knows that Kobe will still get the ball - a playoff experienced line-up of Kobe/LO/Luke/DGeorge/Brown might limit for the entire Suns team to defend Kobe - Luke/LO/DGeorge can take the pass and/or provide a "rub" screen to provide Kobe some space to shoot with Kwame around the basket for any possible rebounds. Possible?!?!

Re: Sasha/LO "heated" debate - they were probably talking about defensive switches, just like Kobe/PJ was talking to DGeorge about. Could the Suns be providing some "tweaks" on their offensive schemes that caught the Lakers unaware - despite PJ telling them how to defend.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
After we lose game 7, we'll be the new laughing stock in the NBA and everyone will refer to as the Los Angeles Chokers.

not at all. were the 7th seed team!! If any we have no buisness bringning it to a 7 game series. Weve stayed tough and competed with them in majority of the games.
lakerboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
shnjb wrote:

not at all. were the 7th seed team!! If any we have no buisness bringning it to a 7 game series. Weve stayed tough and competed with them in majority of the games.

no matter what seed we are, we were leading this series 3-1.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject:

Hoop IQ was a perfect title, DB. I was pulling my hair out when I saw Parker take the shot with a little over a minute left. Frustrating that we needed to secure one rebound, and we weren't able to do it. The ironic thing is that we've owned the glass, yet couldn't secure the rebound off Nash's miss. I don't expect us to win Game 7 on the road with this young squad so I won't be nearly as disappointed as I was after last night's game. I'm already preparing myself for the inevitable.
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject:

thanks DB
Hades
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

I have no idea why Smush was playing
He cant defend..you can see the sun run a pick and roll and dump the ball to whoever Smush guard,good thing happen when this play is run.

why not try this lineup:

Kobe
George
Walton
Odom
Brown
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject:

Hades wrote:
He cant defend..you can see the sun run a pick and roll and dump the ball to whoever Smush guard,good thing happen when this play is run.

why not try this lineup:

Kobe
George
Walton
Odom
Brown
May happen.
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

DB~

An amazing season... from you. This was a painful loss, and I can't imagine how much fun this recap was for you. As always thanks for your tireless effort.

As for the game... I think I'll make like Kobe... just flush it and walk away.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 5/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Next, we let the Suns beat us to death on the Smush defensive switches in late regulation and overtime. Why not stick Kobe on Nash in those situations? He didn't have foul trouble. Costly mistakes, IMHO...

Awesome writeup as usual DB.

I was begging for Kobe on Nash in the game thread. Or actually in the chatroom at that point as the game thread had locked up on me.

I don't understand the lack of defensive adjustments by Phil in that game. Hard to criticize him after the run the Lakers have had, but it seemed like Phoenix was getting whatever they wanted to offensively and the Lakers did absolutley nothing strategically to try and change that fact.

Would it kill us to mix in a 3-2 matchup zone or box and 1 on Nash once in a while to confuse PHX? How about putting Kobe on Nash for at least a portion of the key parts of the game?

Watching Smush trying to contain Nash with our season on the line was hard to watch and I say that as a big Smush backer. But our best lineup right now does not include him. I hope to see a lot more of these five together in Game 7: George, Kobe, LO, Walton, Kwame
b_b_belmont
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for the recap. I know it was hard for you to do.

It was even harder for me to watch. It was like watching a train wreck. You knew it would happen, but there was nothing you could do to stop it.

Lakers turned the ball over far too many times. They made questionable offensive decisions like it was preseason. And they couldn't defend anyone worth a crap, and couldn't secure one measly rebound to win the series.

I still believe, but worry that this current roster can't win a Game 7 on the road.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:

Nothing wrong with that title DB. You speak the truth.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

Very tough loss to swallow. I too thought that the play where Smush gets rejected trying to create his own shot is what really hurt us.

But I'm not quitting.

The Suns have NO answer for Bryant, Odom and Kwame. The Lakers will need to take care of the ball and limit their FT.

I'm still very much in the beleif that the Lakers can win this series. Phil Jackson has never lost a game 7 or game 5 (in a 5 game series) as a Lakers coach. He is 44-0 when leading a series.

Bryant has been here before. WCF - against the Kings. He can do it one more time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 5/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

LakerLanny wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Next, we let the Suns beat us to death on the Smush defensive switches in late regulation and overtime. Why not stick Kobe on Nash in those situations? He didn't have foul trouble. Costly mistakes, IMHO...

Awesome writeup as usual DB.

I was begging for Kobe on Nash in the game thread. Or actually in the chatroom at that point as the game thread had locked up on me.

I don't understand the lack of defensive adjustments by Phil in that game. Hard to criticize him after the run the Lakers have had, but it seemed like Phoenix was getting whatever they wanted to offensively and the Lakers did absolutley nothing strategically to try and change that fact.

Would it kill us to mix in a 3-2 matchup zone or box and 1 on Nash once in a while to confuse PHX? How about putting Kobe on Nash for at least a portion of the key parts of the game?

Watching Smush trying to contain Nash with our season on the line was hard to watch and I say that as a big Smush backer. But our best lineup right now does not include him. I hope to see a lot more of these five together in Game 7: George, Kobe, LO, Walton, Kwame

I did the same during the game thread. I could not fathom why Smush was still guarding Nash, and hence an awful mismatch on the switch. Easy baskets repeatedly for the Suns, and yet no adjustments EVER.

What the hell was Phil thinking?
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Smush has been a disaster since being the high scorer in Game 3. He started playing outside of his abilities, taking questionable shots. Now he's lost confidence, and can't even score when his feet are set. Dead weight... he's a combined 3 for 24 shooting for Games 4, 5 and 6.

This is whats killed us the last two games really. When your point guard spot manages to give you 4 points while it gives up 20 plus you are going to be hard pressed to win against anyone. That spot is vital in the TRI to create spacing and without a consistant threat at the position defenses have a easier time doubling and defending inside.

I'm actually suprised we even had a shot to win considering how undisciplined the team played on both ends of the floor and then you add the complete lack of pg production and it makes you really wonder what in the hell are these guys thinking.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

^
I have to agree and I said it the same thing before the game. We got the efforts from Kwame - but not the game that we needed for Smush.

Smush has totally lost confidence and is taking very questionable shots. He is passing up wide open looks.

Not having a veteran PG like Phil wanted is really hurting us. It truly could wind up being the difference.

The only positive out of that is perhaps Mitch will finally see that there's noway he can continue on with just Smush and Sasha at PG.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

Hades wrote:

why not try this lineup:

Kobe
George
Walton
Odom
Brown

I actually thought the exact same thing. Kobe on Nash and suddenly they can no longer exploit those screen and rolls then you also have a huge size advantage on the offensive glass.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:

I think the reason we don't see Kobe on Nash as much is Phil's worried about Foul trouble.

That being said - I agree with you guys. The most important thing isn't defending Nash - it's the switch on the Pick and Roll. Bryant can defend Diaw - Parker has no chance in hell.

Diaw has burned Parker with ease. He won't do the same with Bryant on switches.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 5/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Smush -- -- Why do we run a Kwame-Smush two man game with a minute left? That wasn't our bread and butter. It wasn't even close. Smush got blocked as we treated the possession as a throw away.

That's exactly why I couldn't sleep until 4 a.m. For the life of me, I could not fathom why they even attempted something that stupid. In that situation, the ball has to be in Kobe's hands, where either he's scoring or setting something up for Lamar. My take is that Smush felt like showing some bravado, in that late Game 4 heroics compensated for an otherwise poor game. Agonizing.
pask
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
pask wrote:
Enter Sasha and George. With 7 seconds, Kobe puts in the ball to Odom in the low post. Sasha on top of the key, George and Kwame in the weak side for the offensive rebound. At least , you can take some attention off Kobe. Plus they were in the bonus. Take the ball to the basket, just not settle for a jumper against two defenders.
Everybody knows that Kobe will still get the ball - a playoff experienced line-up of Kobe/LO/Luke/DGeorge/Brown might limit for the entire Suns team to defend Kobe - Luke/LO/DGeorge can take the pass and/or provide a "rub" screen to provide Kobe some space to shoot with Kwame around the basket for any possible rebounds. Possible?!?!

Re: Sasha/LO "heated" debate - they were probably talking about defensive switches, just like Kobe/PJ was talking to DGeorge about. Could the Suns be providing some "tweaks" on their offensive schemes that caught the Lakers unaware - despite PJ telling them how to defend.

So that´s it. Go for Odom inside and you´ll completely take them by surprise. We just needed one point this time. That was enough. 1 Ft. That´s all.
Shasha or Luke it´s an open debate, but I think Shasa it´s more of a cold blooded shooter than Luke
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

Anyway, I didn't say it earlier, but thanks DB.

It must have been painful to write that report.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

I also don't understand why Phil had Kwame in the game when he knew the Suns needed a 3 to tie the game. Considering the fact that Kwame's impact has been on the offensive end as opposed to the defensive end (where his slow rotations on the perimeter and weak interior defense have given the Suns numerous easy baskets), I simply don't understand why he was even in the game at that point. With that being said, we were a defensive rebound away from sealing this series. The Lakers can take them tomorrow, but everyone needs to stay focused...including Phil.
LABigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

One other observation I have is that I can't count how many times Lamar just hung out at the top of the key, I know he had a good game last night, but the gameplan has changed from the games we won or should have. If you go back to games 1-3, you'd see that he was absolutely killing the suns in the post with either scoring or passing to open cutters or shooters. Why have we abandoned that philosophy that got us to to 3-1 in the 1st place??? I will never figure that out... If ain't broke, don't fix it!!!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

^
Not just Lamar, but the other Lakers capable of scoring in the post as well. Lamar was getting a bit winded, to the point where he was pushed around a bit, abandoning the high post position that he established. Luke in particular and Kwame to a lesser degree must establish position. Part of the problem is that this unit didn't see much PT together during the year, and it really shows when post presense and off-the-ball movement disappears.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: