Recommended Reading List
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Recommended Reading List

List you favorite books, and a brief summary of what each one is about.

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse which deals with the spiritual journey of an Indian man called Siddhartha during the time of the Buddha.

Catch Me If You Can: there is a movie about it.
KOBE8LAMAR7
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee---I read it..and we're reading it in class right now..good book. I'm sure most of you read it already...no need for a summary...
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject:

Catcher in the Rye, is one of the best of all-time.

The Bible, best selling book in history.

Lord of the Rings, second best selling book in history.

Frankenstein, another great classic.
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject:

All Harry Potter Books, hehehe!!!

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
Booby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

The Idiot by Dostoyefsky

A saintly little stunted boy hangs out with rich russians and challenges just by his presence their way of life.

Despite my summery it's a great book.

Also The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

for a contrasting take on the ideal man, based on Frank Loyd Wrieght an architect refuses to compromise his integrity even one iota despite the weight and consequence of all civilization.

I read these soon after each other as a teenager and it grew me up a lot.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Imna tell you which one I do NOT recommend: The Da Vinci Code.

Many ppl making a buzz over this book but its all based on unproved facts, it took National Geographic a half an hour documentary to put that book away. And Im not saying that cuz Im religious or something, cuz Im not, but that book was total BS.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

American Psycho
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Reading List

ToughKarl wrote:

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse which deals with the spiritual journey of an Indian man called Siddhartha during the time of the Buddha.

You mean Hesse is still being read? I thought he went out the door with love beads and VW vans adorned with flower stickers.

Try Steppenwolf, and if you're a real glutton for punishment, Magister Ludi. I never made it to Narcissus and Goldmund, but others swear by it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Here's a history book that I recommended two years ago. It's a real blast (pun intended): The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman. There isn't a better book on strategy and execution (damn puns). I also have a Brit book on the American Revolution somewhere... by the way, they won, which makes it an interesting counterpoint to how history is taught.

For the American experience, the two closest works we've had to the Great American novel are Catcher in the Rye and Huckleberry Finn.

Recently I decided to look at The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

The recent publication of Lost Gospel of Judas and theatrical release of Da Vinci code have made me hunger for some early Christian history. And yes, I realize the latter work is grossly inaccurate, but I'd like to learn more about how the early religion evolved.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

"Stand like Lincon, Speak like Churchill." Its a Leadership book
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:

Many ppl making a buzz over this book but its all based on unproved facts, it took National Geographic a half an hour documentary to put that book away. And Im not saying that cuz Im religious or something, cuz Im not, but that book was total BS.

Yeah, I am religious, but I'm also a big, big reader and writer and I'll tell you what, this book sucked. I wrote a 1,000-word essay on this stupid book about how bad it is.

One of my favorite books is "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers. "The Great Gatsby" is the best American novel ever. "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett is great. I love the Harry Potter books. "The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon is great. The Jurassic Park books are great popcorn reading. Hm, if you're religious "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis is really good. I read "Siddartha" and really enjoyed that. "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" is a really enjoyable little book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

The Count of Monte Cristo - Edmund Dantes reminds me of Kobe so much...
Without Remorse - Mr. Clark's story.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

The Picture of Dorian Gray(Grey?) - It's about a handsome man who never grows old or weary of sin. The secret is in the picture of him.

The Cryinig of Lot 42 - Not much I can say about this book. If you'd like to go through a mind experience, this is the one to do it.

Catcher in the Rye - Good book

The Hobbit - Simplistic and great.

If you like mystery books:

Sherlock Holmes - I've read them all. They're all good

Any book by Agatha Christie - I've read probably 98% of all her books. She has 83 or so.

The Invisible Man - A black man becomes invisible and goes through life in society.

The Little Prince - A children's book, but a golden one.

Interview with a Vampire

The Godfather

Ender's Game - The entire series is good.

The Apprentice Adept series - Very cool fantasy series.

I'm about to start reading The DaVinci Code. I'll give my opinion on it later.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I've read one book my last 4 years, and it's a good one....
Cry, The Beloved Country
It's about Apartheid and forgiveness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:

The Catcher in the Rye:

By far the most intelligently written book I've ever read. Absolutely amazing. Without giving away the story, it completely changed how I viewed certain individuals....powerful.

Ben Mezrich books are quite entertaining. (Ugly Americans, Busting Vegas, Bringing Down the House)

ChromeHearts recommended The Game a few months back, and I must say it is a VERY entertaining book.

For the History buffs......The Lone Samurai by William Scott Wilson is very good, as well as his translations (Hagakure, Book of Five Rings, etc.) The Graphic Novel Samurai Executioner is VERY informative, and provides a nice historical account of Feudal Japan.

For Local History I recommend City of Quartz by Mike Davis, and Company Men by Clark Davis.

Business Books: Fast Food Nation is PHENOMINAL...actually, everybody should read this book. One of my favorites. Also MoneyBall by Michael Lewis is an addicting read.

That's all I got off the top of my head...

Oh yeah, The Ticket Out.....good baseball book.
LakerFan4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

You guys want a real football book.. get your hands on this..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446605204/103-7312595-8182210?v=glance&n=283155

You'll learn alot about the NFL and pro sports in general from the view of a solid role player in the NFL.
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

Yeah, I am religious, but I'm also a big, big reader and writer and I'll tell you what, this book sucked. I wrote a 1,000-word essay on this stupid book about how bad it is.

I started the Da Vinci code long ass time ago adn well I just cant seem to manage to finish reading it... I just cant!! I've had it over uhm more then 8-months... I finished reading Harry Potter 6 before I read like 20 pages of Da Vinci... Its just rather boring... My friend hated it and she said that Angels and Demons was way better!!

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject:

I read the Da Vinci Code last summer. and once I started I couldn't put it down. usually books with heavy religious themes completely turn me off, but I don't know...I really enjoyed this book and I'll probably read it again before I see the movie.

Favorite Books
Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice--I'm sure everyone has seen the movie, but the book is so much better
anything by Mario Puzo--love the mafia laden & family themes

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Catcher in the Rye
The Adventures of Huck Finn
The Sun Also Rises
Of Mice and Men
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Les Miserables
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject:

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut.

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

1984 - George Orwell

My own biography - Me.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:

1984 - George Orwell

My own biography - Me.

Have you tried Player Piano? A pretty decent novel by Kilgore Trout, and totally aligned with your love of the Orwellian negative utopia. I also recommend Cat's Cradle, if you haven't already imbibed.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Wed May 10, 2006 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

1984 - George Orwell

My own biography - Me.

Have you tried Cat's Cradle? Perhaps Kilgore Trout's best novel, and totally aligned with your love of the Orwellian negative utopia.

Just started reading it, page 5 I believe.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

^

You caught me before the correction.

Cat's Cradle is darkly hilarious (one of my favs), but it was Player Piano that was the negative utopia.
jlkr42
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Dan Brown sucks as a writer. I could not finish any of Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons, or Da Vinci Code. And I had English as one of my majors in college. Dean Koontz also sucks, I can't finish his crap either.

For detective fiction, I find Michael Connelly and Ian Rankin really enjoyable. Used to like Robert B. Parker a lot, but he's gone stale.

For fantasy, I started with LOTR, but I'm partial to The Unicorn by Peter Beagle and The Covenant Chronicles by Donaldson. Tad Williams is worth noting as well.

For sci fi, very few writers beat Asimov, Stephenson or Heinlein.

For history, almost anything by Barbara Tuchman is quite good. There's a biography of Harry Truman that is just outstanding as well, gives a pretty good perspective of what the country when through back then compared to what's going on today.

For classic American fiction, read Steinbeck or Faulkner. Cather and Hawthorne honorable mention.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Reading List

ToughKarl wrote:

great book. and if you liked that, you'll really like "the alchemist" by paolo choelho. also about a young man on a spiritual journey.

MUST READ POLITICAL BOOKS:

Blinded by the right- david brook, also the republican noise machine.

Take it back- james carville and paul begalla

other topics:

the electric acid coolaid test

naked lunch

still life with woodpecker

on the road

-all great books, but i highly reccomend the political books. learn what the hell is going wrong with this country, and how to take it back. blinded by the right is one of the most eye opening books on the evil republican empire.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: