Dunleavy better pray the Clips win Game 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Dunleavy better pray the Clips win Game 7

The guy made the bonehead coaching move of all time in Game 5, yet the know nothing media has given him a complete free pass.

This series would be over except for the fact that Dunleavy could not help himself yet again from overcoaching.

The decision to put a rookie who hadn't played a minute all game to guard Raja Bell in Game 5 with only time to catch and shoot was arguably the worst coaching move in NBA history. It was that bad. Why would you bring a rookie in cold off the bench to guard the hottest player in the game for the Suns at that stage?

I really hope the Clippers win Game 7 because it would be a shame to see Phoenix advance just because Mike Dunleavy went brain dead in the most brutal way possible. If he puts anyone but Ewing in the game, the Clippers are in the Western Conference Finals right now.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Seriously Lanny we're talking about Mike Dunleavy. He has to be the worst coach of good teams on earth!

There is no way The Blazers should have lost to the Lakers in 00 except for the fact that their coach was brain dead.

And come on you don't remember when he coached the Lakers???

I remember saying horrible things about him and never regretting saying those things.

This is exactly why I expect the Clippers to lose game seven and never bought into the Clipper hype when they signed him. I knew Gentry sucked and so did everyone else but somehow everyone forgets how bad Dumbleavy is.

Hooray Mitch!!!!
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Dunleavy gets his teams past 2nd rounds. It's in the WCF and the Finals where they choke.

I really want the Clipps to beat these Suns, I hate Raja and Nash with a passion!
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

clipps will win, they figured out the right adjustments. Get tim thomas, and diaw in foul trouble, make nash play d, and avoid shooting three's unless wide open. Quinton Ross is really coming into his own. This guy was a true sleeper.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

It was just such a stupid thing to do and a prime example of a coach outcoaching himself and absolutely hosing his team in the process.

Not to mention the poor rookie probably has been suffering big time, I hope for Daniel Ewing's sorry arse that the Clippers pull this out for him because without him and Dunleavy combining for the stupidest play I have ever seen, the Clippers are resting right now for the WCFs.

How can you bring in a rookie who has not played all game?

Then you assign him to the hottest shooter on the other team?

Then he lets his man not only beat him to the spot, but let's him get the 3 off with a straight pass that doesn't have to be lofted over his head from the shortest 3 point spot on the court.

All you have to do is make them lob the pass over your head and the chances of even getting a 3 off are nil. Or make them catch the ball going away from the passer.

To let a guy catch an uncontested pass going towards the basket, to the shortest 3 point spot on the floor is inexcusable.

Dunleavy does a good job overall with his teams, but his playoff gaffes are becoming legendary. And not in a Phil Jackson kind of way, more like in a Rick Adelman kind of way.

Just win Game 7 Clips. No one should lose because of a brain dead coach, it almost isn't fair.
BigHaDaddy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

One thing I noticed is that they always have a "soft" double on Nash, meaning that they always have two defenders who are an arms length distance away from Nash. This prevents Nash from shooting over the top, and also takes away a lot of his passing lanes.

Nash is getting very few layups as a result of this defense. Against the Lakers, he had 4-5 easy layups a game. Also, the shot blocking presence of Elton Brand and Kaman is limiting Diaw.

Some things I noticed next time the Lakers face the Suns:

Diaw never goes with his first move in the post. He pump fakes multiple times before he shoots the ball. If Kwame can just plant his feet and put his arms up, Diaw shouldn't be a problem.

When Shawn Marion is guarding you, always pump fake. He always jumps to block the ball, this is an automatic two points at the free throw line.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
It was just such a stupid thing to do and a prime example of a coach outcoaching himself and absolutely hosing his team in the process.

Not to mention the poor rookie probably has been suffering big time, I hope for Daniel Ewing's sorry arse that the Clippers pull this out for him because without him and Dunleavy combining for the stupidest play I have ever seen, the Clippers are resting right now for the WCFs.

Then he lets his man not only beat him to the spot, but let's him get the 3 off with a straight pass that doesn't have to be lofted over his head from the shortest 3 point spot on the court.

All you have to do is make them lob the pass over your head and the chances of even getting a 3 off are nil. Or make them catch the ball going away from the passer.

To let a guy catch an uncontested pass going towards the basket, to the shortest 3 point spot on the floor is inexcusable.

Dunleavy does a good job overall with his teams, but his playoff gaffes are becoming legendary. And not in a Phil Jackson kind of way, more like in a Rick Adelman kind of way.

Just win Game 7 Clips. No one should lose because of a brain dead coach, it almost isn't fair.

It was sad. The Clips should have won this series in 5 if Dunleavy makes intelligent decisions. But then again, he has made it a tradition to over-coach his teams. He's got a little bit of Gene Mauck (baseball manager of yore) in him -- a little too smart for his own good at times.

SGH
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Mistakes and all, they have done well. Let them enjoy their moment in the limelight. We didn't exactly not CHOKE bigtime in our little series with the Suns. If nothing else, the Clipps will ahve tired the suns out, and make it that much harder for them to beat the Dallas/Spurs winner.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject:

Clips to beat the Suns in Game 7, although I hate both!

Then Clips proceed to WCF only to get knocked out!!!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

It was sad. The Clips should have won this series in 5 if Dunleavy makes intelligent decisions. But then again, he has made it a tradition to over-coach his teams. He's got a little bit of Gene Mauck (baseball manager of yore) in him -- a little too smart for his own good at times.

SGH

Gene Mauck is a great comparison.

It takes a special kind of twisted genius to blow some of the series that Dunleavy has blown.

I hate to say it, but I don't think the Clippers are going to be able to overcome his incredible Game 5 gaffe. It might be the worst coaching decision in NBA history because it literally lost the series (I know, I know, they still have to play Game 7) due to an incredibly arrogant, not well thought out, devasting substitution. Just brutal.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

not to mention he should have gotten cassell's attention before he got that 8 second violation.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Nice job Dunleavy.

Maybe hire Rick Adelman next year as your assistant and you can compare biggest playoff gaffes together.

I feel sorry for his players. If he just controls himself, the Clippers are rested and waiting for the Mavericks.

Instead, Phoenix incredibly advances again.....no team has ever been luckier.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Nice job Dunleavy.

Maybe hire Rick Adelman next year as your assistant and you can compare biggest playoff gaffes together.

I feel sorry for his players. If he just controls himself, the Clippers are rested and waiting for the Mavericks.

Instead, Phoenix incredibly advances again.....no team has ever been luckier.

In the playoffs, you sometimes need a little luck to advance.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Seems like Dunleavy stopped trying to trap/double Nash. Why? Nash carved them up tonight. WHy not go with what has worked admirably in the series?

SGH
the GR-8 one
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Makes me sick.
the GR-8 one
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

This just proves that shooting threes and falling down beats anybody.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: