The honest truth about Shaq....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WutupLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: The honest truth about Shaq....

We shouldn't root for Shaq or the Miami Heat to lose.
Yes, he embarrassed the Lakers publicly and made outrageous contract demands. Yes, he threatened every team that the Lakers were considering that wasn't a warm weather climate and potential contender.

But, lets be real. If Shaq had stayed on this team, we would be ruined and we wouldn't have been in the NBA Finals for a while. Remember, this was about Shaq-Malone-Kobe-Payton, and thats what we all forgot about. Here we were as laker fans, grieving about the recent Finals blunder, and in comes Shaq (bleep) about Phil getting fired and not getting the contract he wants. This came at the worst possible time and with Malone comtemplating retirement, i could have cared less at that point. If you watched all the rounds in the playoffs, you would see how reliant Shaq was on Malone, to bail him out on alot of situations, and by the NBA Finals, Shaq practically NEEDED Malone to like change his diaper. Gimme a break. Maybe Malone and Payton would have stuck around if Kobe and Shaq decided to give the title run another shot. Maybe Brent Barry and Antonio McDyess decide to come to LA as free agent pickups rather than SA or Detroit. But this was all just for the short term. Malone would have surely left after another year, Payton would have bolted, and the Lakers future would have gone down the drain. With Mitch's ability to draft talent and pick up free agents, the Lakers would be doomed with a bloated payroll and aging Shaq.

So we shouldn't be mad that we lost Shaq, it just was time and wasn't going to work out. It was a supposed win-win for both sides. Shaq got put in a much better situation and the Lakers got flexibility for the future. People say the Shaq trade was dumb. That is a very ambigious statement. Trading Shaq was smart, but the players included in the trade, ehh, it was better than average, but better pieces could have been thrown in there. Honestly, i would have demanded Wade at the last second, without Shaq knowing, and completely screwed him over. Reason why Wade wasnt included, was because had Shaq knew about it, he would have threated to sit on the bench and opt out. Riley realllyy wanted Shaq and said he felt "fortunate" he didn't have to give Wade up. Mitch didn't have the balls on that one. Jerry Buss and Pat Riley did have a private meeting together prior to the trade though. They claim it was to talk about 'good ol times' and not about being the laker coach or whatever.

As for the Miami Heat being in the Eastern Conference Finals, good luck to Shaq and his team, continue to do what you do, he went to a team that could put him in that situation. Riley should be eternally thankful that we even made all this possible for Miami. More than just Shaq, but the attention, popularity, hype, limelight, tv appearances, jersey sales, elite team status, etc. Should also thank his lucky stars we let him keep Wade, he will owe us big time someday, maybe he can give us a hand this offseason or on draft day.
AussieLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject:

Ok...that was random

few things...Phil didn't get fired

Who's mad that Shaq's gone? I'm glad he's gone. And I'll continue to root against Miami, you brought up Shaq's public BS (and something about warm weather??) but didn't refute it.

...now, I'll add this post to my "I need a minute of my life back after reading this" bank.
WutupLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

Boogieman2k5 wrote:
Ok...that was random

Who's mad that Shaq's gone? I'm glad he's gone. And I'll continue to root against Miami, you brought up Shaq's public BS (and something about warm weather??) but didn't refute it.

...now, I'll add this post to my "I need a minute of my life back after reading this" bank.

Yea.....you do that. And Phil was gladly shown the door.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

Boogieman2k5 wrote:

eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:

(bleep) Shaq and his fans. I hope his ass explodes.

^^ Farmar

ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:

^^^relax dude...shaq brought us 3 championships
ErMonnezza
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject:

to be honest I always Hated him , also when a laker , I'm happy when he loses and I was very happy when he left
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject:

I was always a Kobe Bryant guy, never liked Shaq even when he was with the LA Lakers. I did not like him during the Orlando Magic days either. But I do not root against the Heat, I wish them good luck versus the Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:

Shaq who??
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject:

shaq the donut man. DUHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
gone-daddy-gone
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

the real truth about shaq

he is lazy and doesn't work nearly as hard as he should.

he is the most dominant force the nba has ever seen.

kobe is a much more skilled player, works alot harder, yet had to defer to shaq because he is shaq. and that must've sucked for kobe. don't know about you, but if i was the hardest working dude at work and wasn't the highest paid or the top dog, i'd leave for a new job.

shaq is THE reason the lakers won 3 straight trophies.

he made alot of stoopid comments. sometimes he makes you laugh, sometimes he says crap about the city and fans because hes immature.

he is THE reason the lakers threatened the reg season win total record.

shaqs laziness and non-chalant(sp?) attitude towards the offseason workouts are THE reasons the lakers did not win 4 or 5 trophies.

shaq is THE reason the lakers tore through the playoffs and lost ony one game on the way to the trophy.

bottom line is, we were lucky he was a laker. i don't know about you, but i like watchin my team challenge regular season win total records, tear through the playoffs with only one loss, win 3 straight titles. i like watching that a h3ll of alot more than watching an average team struggle to get 50 wins and get bounced in the first round.

make no mistake about it, thats what the lakers are right now, an average team. IF mitch can somehow swing KG(i ain't holdin my breath), lakers will be contenders. if not, its another average year next year. and call me spoiled, but i want to see the team do real damage EVERY year.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

Shaq? is that you?
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:

omgomgomg it's the fat donut man
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

I used to root for any team playing against the Heat. Not anymore. If anything, I just feel pity for Shaq now. His aging has become even more apparent, and now everybody knows it. It's like watching an old lion fighting off the hyenas.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:

WutupLA wrote:
Boogieman2k5 wrote:
Ok...that was random

He is right, Phil was the one that cut off negotiation talks, my best guess is because Phil saw the Laker's moving to keep Kobe, and didn't want to coach the team without Shaq. Also, Shaq DEMANDED to be traded, how can Kobe be blaimed for what Shaq did? RIDICULOUS, I don't care if Kobe was the most annoying prick in the world, he did not hold a gun to Shaq's head and go "Leave or die", it was Shaq's decision.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
WutupLA wrote:
Boogieman2k5 wrote:
Ok...that was random

He is right, Phil was the one that cut off negotiation talks, my best guess is because Phil saw the Laker's moving to keep Kobe, and didn't want to coach the team without Shaq. Also, Shaq DEMANDED to be traded, how can Kobe be blaimed for what Shaq did? RIDICULOUS, I don't care if Kobe was the most annoying prick in the world, he did not hold a gun to Shaq's head and go "Leave or die", it was Shaq's decision.

This is what I think happened. Phil and Shaq banded together and tried to strong-arm Dr. Buss into getting rid of Kobe with their unyielding contract demands. Unyielding is the operative word, here. Neither were willing negotiate or even meet Doc halfway. They wanted what they wanted and Dr. Buss doesn't do business like that. We know they both wanted Kobe gone, and gambled that if they both held firm, Doc would fold, give them their money, and either trade Kobe, or let him walk.

But Doc flipped it on both of them. He basically told both them that he would not be strong-armed over some petty grudge that they had for another player. So if Shaq wasn't willing to negotiate, he would have to trade him. If Phil wasn't willing to negotiate, they would have to part ways.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

ErMonnezza wrote:
to be honest I always Hated him , also when a laker , I'm happy when he loses and I was very happy when he left

smoothCbutla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

shaq is like the hot girlfriend that cheated on all her boyfriends before you met her

you go into the relationship knowing she has a past of cheating (the magic) but we will all get greedy and hope for change (nope none here)

the sex is great for awhile so you put up with it (a banner or two or three), but eventually things go wrong and you see her for the fat lazy (bleep) that she is (oh so true take a game off we know you)

so she's out the house finds a new man to take her (bleep) (the Heat) but the sex isn't as great as it was so she tries to make you jealous by telling you how great he is (the Heat) and how fake you were (Miami/LA).

but the man that now puts up with her (bleep) no longer does as much because frankly she's getting older, her boobs are starting to sag, and her big butt that you fell for (clogging the paint) suddenly sticks out to you in a bad way (foul trouble for life)

you can bank that in your waste of my time file too
Spirit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
WutupLA wrote:
Boogieman2k5 wrote:
Ok...that was random

This is what I think happened. Phil and Shaq banded together and tried to strong-arm Dr. Buss into getting rid of Kobe with their unyielding contract demands. Unyielding is the operative word, here. Neither were willing negotiate or even meet Doc halfway. They wanted what they wanted and Dr. Buss doesn't do business like that. We know they both wanted Kobe gone, and gambled that if they both held firm, Doc would fold, give them their money, and either trade Kobe, or let him walk.

But Doc flipped it on both of them. He basically told both them that he would not be strong-armed over some petty grudge that they had for another player. So if Shaq wasn't willing to negotiate, he would have to trade him. If Phil wasn't willing to negotiate, they would have to part ways.

-----

Yep. Boy, what I would give to have been a fly on the wall when Dr. Buss told Phil and Snaq where to stick it.
BygDaddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I never particularly liked Shaq as a Laker. I hate him now. I wanted to trade Shaq the season before he was traded when he had greater trade value. I will always root against him.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

WutupLA wrote:
Boogieman2k5 wrote:
Ok...that was random

Umm...no? The Last Season, anyone?
samsl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

smoothCbutla wrote:
shaq is like the hot girlfriend that cheated on all her boyfriends before you met her

you go into the relationship knowing she has a past of cheating (the magic) but we will all get greedy and hope for change (nope none here)

the sex is great for awhile so you put up with it (a banner or two or three), but eventually things go wrong and you see her for the fat lazy (bleep) that she is (oh so true take a game off we know you)

so she's out the house finds a new man to take her (bleep) (the Heat) but the sex isn't as great as it was so she tries to make you jealous by telling you how great he is (the Heat) and how fake you were (Miami/LA).

but the man that now puts up with her (bleep) no longer does as much because frankly she's getting older, her boobs are starting to sag, and her big butt that you fell for (clogging the paint) suddenly sticks out to you in a bad way (foul trouble for life)

you can bank that in your waste of my time file too

omg that's the funniest thing i've seen all month...and i agree for the most part...

If Sun Yue is the Chinese Magic Johnson...I'm the Chinese Brad Pitt...
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

nope i dont kno what your saying. Screw the heat

Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael
alwayslakers08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Boogieman2k5 wrote:
Ok...that was random

lmao

GO LAKERS
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: