Popovich: Poor Loser

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Popovich: Poor Loser

When the Spurs win, he's Mr. Charming at the post-game press conference. When they lose, he's bitter, condescending and essentially refuses to provide quotes to the press. This from a guy whose team has benefitted more than any other from it's "clean-cut/good sports" image (the media, refs and the league office have really rolled out the red carpet for this franchise). SO: why is Popovich such a jerk? I find it a bad character flaw. Lose with dignity and don't be such an ass.

SGH
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Popovich: Poor Loser

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
When the Spurs win, he's Mr. Charming at the post-game press conference. When they lose, he's bitter, condescending and essentially refuses to provide quotes to the press. This from a guy whose team has benefitted more than any other from it's "clean-cut/good sports" image (the media, refs and the league office have really rolled out the red carpet for this franchise). SO: why is Popovich such a jerk? I find it a bad character flaw. Lose with dignity and don't be such an ass.

SGH

I won't miss him or his merry band of referee induced superstars. Ancillary benefit is not seeing Eva Langoria smile her plastic, flat chested, anorexic, capped, googoo eyed, mask.
Joseph Ferano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Dude, cut the guy a break, I dont think you would be mister charming after losing a game 7.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

gentrinity15 wrote:
Dude, cut the guy a break, I dont think you would be mister charming after losing a game 7.

In my post, I said that Popovich tends to ALWAYS be an ass when his team loses, not just when they lose a game 7.

As for giving him a break ... you mean like the ones the refs give Bruce Bowen time and time again to hack away with nary a whistle?

READ before responding, or do me a favor and don't respond at all.

SGH
Joseph Ferano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

gentrinity15 wrote:

In my post, I said that Popovich tends to ALWAYS be an ass when his team loses, not just when they lose a game 7.

As for giving him a break ... you mean like the ones the refs give Bruce Bowen time and time again to hack away with nary a whistle?

SGH

Arent we touchy. Take it easy bro.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:

I didn't get to watch the game, but it sure seemed online that the Spurs got tons of calls. 3 Mav's foul out and Harris has 5 fouls, but only one Spur has 5 fouls at the end of the game? If you take out the fouls to stop the clock, it was close to 2-1 in favor of the Spurs. It's tough to beat SA when the refs help them out so much, all the credit in the world to the Mavs for holding on.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:

When the Spurs lost I jumped up and sang "Ding Dong the whimps are dead".

Now if only those flopping sissys from AZ can get tossed!

I know my post has nothing to do with the topic but I don't care.

Hooray Mitch!!!!
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject:

What do you expect him to do, cartwheels?
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

gentrinity15 wrote:
gentrinity15 wrote:

SGH

Arent we touchy. Take it easy bro.

More like Sis.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:

Pop was a little curt in some of his press conferences this season. In the past, he has sometimes taken his beatings like a man (he was complimentary of the Lakers when they were sweeping his team for instance) and sometimes like a Tim Duncan.

Who could forget his endless whining about "protesting the game" etc. following Derek Fisher's memorable .4 shot?

I think the *purs lost a lot of respect nationally for the way they whined on every single call the entire series (especially Duncan, his Tim Duncan face on every whistle is beyond ridiculous) and Pop did himself no favors with his churlish, rude behavior to the press after every loss of this series.

That said, 95% of the questions from the media are completely inflammatory, off topic or painfully obvious. If I was involved with the NBA, it would be hard not to become irritated with those morons at the end of a long season so I feel for Pop there!
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

That said, 95% of the questions from the media are completely inflammatory, off topic or painfully obvious. If I was involved with the NBA, it would be hard not to become irritated with those morons at the end of a long season so I feel for Pop there!

No doubt, man. If I was a coach, I either wouldn't last long or would spend half of my paychecks on fines having to deal with those lame-azz questions from the press.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

gentrinity15 wrote:

SGH

So you are criticizing Pop for being an ass when he loses a big playoff game, but you have no problem being an ass when someone disagree with your post?
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
gentrinity15 wrote:

SGH

So you are criticizing Pop for being an ass when he loses a big playoff game, but you have no problem being an ass when someone disagree with your post?

Let me guess: late bloomer?

SGH
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Pop was a little curt in some of his press conferences this season. In the past, he has sometimes taken his beatings like a man (he was complimentary of the Lakers when they were sweeping his team for instance) and sometimes like a Tim Duncan.

Who could forget his endless whining about "protesting the game" etc. following Derek Fisher's memorable .4 shot?

I think the *purs lost a lot of respect nationally for the way they whined on every single call the entire series (especially Duncan, his Tim Duncan face on every whistle is beyond ridiculous) and Pop did himself no favors with his churlish, rude behavior to the press after every loss of this series.

Couldn't have put it ANY BETTER!!!!!!
Bean
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I didn't get to watch the game, but it sure seemed online that the Spurs got tons of calls. 3 Mav's foul out and Harris has 5 fouls, but only one Spur has 5 fouls at the end of the game? If you take out the fouls to stop the clock, it was close to 2-1 in favor of the Spurs. It's tough to beat SA when the refs help them out so much, all the credit in the world to the Mavs for holding on.

The thing about that is in every other game, Duncan, Bowen and Ginobli were in foul trouble early and often. Dirk is so lumbering an awkward when driving to the basket it looks like someone is hacking him unmercifully.
The Mavericks were given a couple of games at the foul line, being put in the penalty around the 6-7 minute mark in quarters. So I don't give them all the credit in the world.

The problem with the NBA is that these games are too easily controlled. What is a foul? It's left totally up to interpretation, like pass interference is in the NFL.
JasonPR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

As much as I don't like the Spurs, I wanted them to win as an insurrance policy in case Miami beats Detroit....just don't want the Heat to win...jejejeje
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, who cares about it man? He does whatever he wants to.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

JasonPR wrote:
As much as I don't like the Spurs, I wanted them to win as an insurrance policy in case Miami beats Detroit....just don't want the Heat to win...jejejeje

Dude, that is exactly why I wanted them to win. ABM Anyone but Miami. All I care about in life is Snaq never wins another title - EVER!
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Muad'Dib wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

No doubt, man. If I was a coach, I either wouldn't last long or would spend half of my paychecks on fines having to deal with those lame-azz questions from the press.

Co-signed. When the press asked him if he told his players not to foul when they were up 3 at the end of regulation, I woulda been a smartass too. Also, when they then asked him if he was surprised that they did foul, I mean, that's like trying to bait the guy into having a meltdown so that they can then slam him in the press the next day. The exchange basically went like this:

"Your team lost cause they made a stupid play at the end. Did you forget to tell them not to make that stupid play?"

"No."

"Were you surprised they made that stupid play anyway?"

"Yes."

The media are jerks, just looking for drama.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
ttango
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Yeah, you're right. No it's more like you're way, way off.

The guy understands what's important in the world-
Hopefully, we all understand what is truly important. Ranting is fine but that's all it is, a rant.

Pop knows what's important.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052406.3C.COL.BKNflores.spurs.16b9e728.html

Quote:
Dear Mr. Perez,

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. I cannot imagine how much you miss Stephen, knowing how much he must have meant to your family.

It is obvious that he was a die-hard Spurs fan, no matter what the situation. What we do here is quite insignificant compared to the job he was doing in Iraq. The daily danger and pressure he had to endure is hard to even contemplate, and he and his colleagues are the ones who should be held up as heroes.

All of us here hope time will diminish the pain you must feel.

We will do our best to make both Stephen and your family proud.

Most sincerely,
Gregg Popovich

Give Popovich credit for taking time to recognize the sacrifice of a true hero with such eloquence.

Some might be surprised by Popovich's gesture, but not those familiar with his background. He graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1970 and served five years in the Air Force.

"My dad got a little choked up when he read me the letter over the phone," said Kenny Perez, Stephen's only sibling. "All I could say was, 'Wow, that's special.' Everybody portrays Gregg Popovich as a hard-nosed guy with no heart, but he doesn't forget what's going on in the world."

The bolded part is what is truly right. This is just an athletic competition. Life is more important that just that.

So what's important? The rant or the gesture?

I'll take gesture, because it made a difference in someone's life. Whereas the rant was confined to the musings of a message board.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: