Sam Cassell Wants 2+ Year Deal From Clippers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Sam Cassell Wants 2+ Year Deal From Clippers

"I'm not going to be waiting until the end of July or to August to sign a contract," (Sam) Cassell said Wednesday after his exit meeting with Coach Mike Dunleavy. "There will be other teams that will make me an offer. But this is where I want to be. I need to know where I'm going to be at. July 1 is the day you can start talking, right? I want to be done by then."

"Cassell said he's willing to accept a two- or three-year deal, and doesn't want to make less than the $6.1 million he earned this season. "If they said, 'you're not what we needed,' I would think it was (garbage)," he said, laughing."

"Cassell will be 37 in November. He has played 13 years and keeps in shape. "If they try to use my age, which they probably will try to do, it don't matter," Cassell said. "I don't play like I'm older. ... If you look at the list of top point guards one through 10, I'm in the top 10 some kind of way."

"One bad transaction and it could all fall apart," Cassell said (about the Clippers), and added, "I'm the spoon that stirs the coffee."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_clippers_25.1d29a459.html
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:

He sure is cocky. However it would be smart for the Clipppers to pay him. Which they probably will.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Let them resign Cassell. If he wants $6.1 mil, then he's completely out of our price range, thank goodness.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Usually, you dont pay that much especially when a player is over 35 with a bad back .....

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Thu May 25, 2006 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject:

"I'm the spoon that stirs the coffee." ?????

That's almost as bad as "boom goes the dynatmite!"
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sam Cassell Wants 2+ Year Deal From Clippers

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Sam Cassell Wants 2+ Year Deal From Clippers

Have fun with the Clippers, Sam!
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject:

He's only asking for slightly over the MLE. This is not expensive (even for the Clips). 2 years, Sam's got 2 years left in the tank easily. This is actually a good sign of the Lakers b/c it DOES but Cassell in our MLE price range if we give him a 3 year deal (last year is team option), that is front-loaded. Sam would be worth full MLE $$'s on any team, even as a backup.

DO I... aw forget it.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject:

thank goodness. It would be an absolute waste to spend the money on Sam. His defensive weaknesses won't be covered up by the top shotblocking frontline in the league here, and when he breaks down it'll be much like the MLE signings of Vlade and McKie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: