I finally broke down and bought one - iPod
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:

I used to think the same way as many here. The IPOD is overrated, too expensive, blah blah blah....until I bought one. It's easily one of the best electronic inventions in history. I can't believe I went so long w/o it. I compare it to the TIVO. Very revolutionary. I will go the rest of my life with an IPOD or something similar.

Some of the things I've noticed that make the IPOD better than other MP3 players. It is very user friendly. It is very sleek in design - easy on the eye. It is simple and durable. And it is also easy to sell if you want to ever upgrade to a new model.

Now if only they could add Dish Network and a DVR to it.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:

I currently have an iPod Mini - 4gb. Holds about 1,000 songs. I absolutely LOVE the small size and functionality of it. I'm looking to upgrade to a 30 gb iPod, same as the one JD bought. I can't wait..

I used to be so against iPods, UNTIL I BOUGHT ONE. Now I really can't go anywhere without it. Heck, sometimes I forget to take my keys, but I always have my iPod with me.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:

If you want my iPod, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
If you want my iPod, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...
how many songs does it hold

I don't have an iPod. I'm thinking about getting one though...

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
showtime3232
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
LakersAFI wrote:
da ocho wrote:
the ipod is the greatest accomplishment of man.

congrats JD.

i would be a sad, miserable man without mine.

Yeh Nice Jd.. i think ill die whitout mine..

Wow, you two need to seriously get out some more.

I seriously don't understand you? I get out a lot, and yet I too rely upon my iPod on a daily basis: when I'm driving, working out, chilling at home, etc... Just because people frequently listen to music doesn't mean they need to get out more, in fact it's more common for people who don't listen to music to be less sociable.
Lakers Dynasty 2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: I finally broke down and bought one - iPod

JD wrote:
30GB + video

I'm impressed. Didn't think I really ever wanted, nor needed one... but now that I have it... WOW!

So where's the best place to download free video content (besides the obvious bittorrent)?

I did find this useful app, after coming close to throwing the damn thing out the window, trying to rip a few CDs onto it.

JD, all of my videos are iPod ready.

mpeg-4 files rule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
How comfortable are the earbuds when you're exercising?

No complaints.
showtime3232
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

K24B_Flight wrote:
I currently have an iPod Mini - 4gb. Holds about 1,000 songs. I absolutely LOVE the small size and functionality of it. I'm looking to upgrade to a 30 gb iPod, same as the one JD bought. I can't wait..

I used to be so against iPods, UNTIL I BOUGHT ONE. Now I really can't go anywhere without it. Heck, sometimes I forget to take my keys, but I always have my iPod with me.

I'm in EXACTLY the boat as you mate. I've just about run out of space on my iPod Mini (roughly 200mb left), and I'm looking to upgrade to the 30GB one. And I too, on occasions, forget my keys and phone in the car, whilst taking out my iPod at the same time.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: I finally broke down and bought one - iPod

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:

JD, all of my videos are iPod ready.

mpeg-4 files rule.

Oh yeah... I forgot you do your stuff in mpeg4. Kickass!

For those that are looking or asked where to buy... I got mine at Costco - $289. I'm sure there's cheaper online, but for purchases like this... I'd rather be able to walk back into the store and return, if I want to (though, I'm already sold on its value).
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:

showtime3232 wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
LakersAFI wrote:
da ocho wrote:
the ipod is the greatest accomplishment of man.

congrats JD.

i would be a sad, miserable man without mine.

Yeh Nice Jd.. i think ill die whitout mine..

Wow, you two need to seriously get out some more.

I seriously don't understand you? I get out a lot, and yet I too rely upon my iPod on a daily basis: when I'm driving, working out, chilling at home, etc... Just because people frequently listen to music doesn't mean they need to get out more, in fact it's more common for people who don't listen to music to be less sociable.

Sorry, no disrespect intended. Just a little stressed with Finals around and I'm just snapping at people left and right.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
Sorry to hear that JD. You got ripped off.

wow? how can he get ripped off? for the price roughly 299.99 he got himself a portable video and music player that can have up to 30 GB of music and videos? So tell me Zhengi.. what would you invest your money in? what type of portable (hey I'm cooler than the Ipod) system would you get? With what Apple is coming out with plus other companies the Ipod is very supported by the industry. Heck I got rid of my music keg in my car and have a 60 gb Ipod connected to my auto stereo.

Actually, you're wrong about the cooler than thou crowd. Those who get the IPod are the ones who think they are cooler than others and that's one of the main selling points of the IPod.

As for what other ones, I'd say the IRiver H300 series is pretty good and the Creative Labs Zen series. Apple purposely doesn't include too many accessories for their IPod and thus gain more money selling those accessories seperately. At least with the other ones there are features that are not found in the IPod such as voice recording, picture zooming, and an FM tuner already included.

And what I find the most hilarious is that people praise the IPod for having video. Last year, I was telling people that other MP3 players already had video and that IPod didn't have that feature yet. People would argue that they don't need video and thus justified buying their IPods. Now that there is video, it's all the rage and people love it. Go figure.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:

Actually, you're wrong about the cooler than thou crowd. Those who get the IPod are the ones who think they are cooler than others and that's one of the main selling points of the IPod.

I'm 38 y/o... so I couldn't care less about being "cooler". Been there, done that. I got the iPod, because of my previously stated reasons, plus my wife has the Shuffle, so all the programs are already loaded.

Quote:

As for what other ones, I'd say the IRiver H300 series is pretty good and the Creative Labs Zen series. Apple purposely doesn't include too many accessories for their IPod and thus gain more money selling those accessories seperately. At least with the other ones there are features that are not found in the IPod such as voice recording, picture zooming, and an FM tuner already included.

The other guys don't include all the accessories either. That's where the $$$ are made. Voice recording? My phone has it... never use it. Picture zooming? On a 2-3" screen? Big deal. I won't use it for picture viewing anyways. Videos such as LD 2000's stuff... probably... but I've ogt a picture viewer on my PDA and phone... don't use either. FM tuner? That's why I got the iPod... so I don't have to listen to the radio.

Quote:

And what I find the most hilarious is that people praise the IPod for having video. Last year, I was telling people that other MP3 players already had video and that IPod didn't have that feature yet. People would argue that they don't need video and thus justified buying their IPods. Now that there is video, it's all the rage and people love it. Go figure.

Again... no other mp3 player has anywhere near the market support the iPod has. None, nada... zilch. So others had video 1st... big deal.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Word up, JD. Nothing comes close to the iPod. It's the Kobe of mp3 players. 8)
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I'll probably get one after I convert some old cassette tapes to mp3 files. I really should, before those damn tapes go bad.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

I'm 38 y/o... so I couldn't care less about being "cooler". Been there, done that. I got the iPod, because of my previously stated reasons, plus my wife has the Shuffle, so all the programs are already loaded.

Good for you. I didn't specifically single you out as one of those people.

Quote:
Quote:

The other guys don't include all the accessories either. That's where the $$$ are made. Voice recording? My phone has it... never use it. Picture zooming? On a 2-3" screen? Big deal. I won't use it for picture viewing anyways. Videos such as LD 2000's stuff... probably... but I've ogt a picture viewer on my PDA and phone... don't use either. FM tuner? That's why I got the iPod... so I don't have to listen to the radio.

And those were the exact same reasons people used when video was introduced on other MP3 players and not the IPod. It's like saying you'd prefer to pay more for a car that didn't have as much as another car. Once it's on the IPod, everyone goes gaga over it.

Quote:
Quote:

Again... no other mp3 player has anywhere near the market support the iPod has. None, nada... zilch. So others had video 1st... big deal.

What kind of market support are you looking for? Heck, to me, putting files onto the IPod is more difficult since you have to have a program in order to transfer files. With other MP3 players, you just plug it in, open it in My Computer, and then put the music or video files in. Easy and no need to connect to ITunes. So whoopie, there is more market support that you probably will not even use. Big deal.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi, what did Apple ever do to you?
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Everyone need an iPod to survive...lol or at least an Mp3 player!
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Jesseca328 wrote:
Thinking of buying one because there is a lot of great music out there and well some days i feel like listening to this CD but also feel like listening to little of another CD and mix it with a little more of anther CD but damn CD's only let me burn like 20-21 tracks... that's not enough for me!!! I have music that I've download but still haven't had the chance to listen to it because its on my computer... Plus cant really listen (by listening i mean get into the lyrics of the song and stuff) while I'm in the computer LGing, OTRing, AIM, MSN, etc...

So probably gonna get one soon... Is it better to buy it online or go to the store?

Same price everywhere basically, doesnt go on sale.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Jesseca328 wrote:
Thinking of buying one because there is a lot of great music out there and well some days i feel like listening to this CD but also feel like listening to little of another CD and mix it with a little more of anther CD but damn CD's only let me burn like 20-21 tracks... that's not enough for me!!! I have music that I've download but still haven't had the chance to listen to it because its on my computer... Plus cant really listen (by listening i mean get into the lyrics of the song and stuff) while I'm in the computer LGing, OTRing, AIM, MSN, etc...

So probably gonna get one soon... Is it better to buy it online or go to the store?

Same price everywhere basically, doesnt go on sale.

In store might possibly be better because of online shipping, but I'm not really sure.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

K24B_Flight wrote:

An iPod must have slept with his g/f.
Lakergurl01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I used to love my ipod too until it died and I had to deal with the Apple people.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:

And I quote, "Those who get the IPod are the ones who think they are cooler than others..."

So while you may not have singled myself (or others) out... you lumped us all together.

Quote:

And those were the exact same reasons people used when video was introduced on other MP3 players and not the IPod. It's like saying you'd prefer to pay more for a car that didn't have as much as another car. Once it's on the IPod, everyone goes gaga over it.

Read my point again. I couldn't care less who had what first, or the other features they may have. I don't use those other features.

Here you go lumping people together again. "Everyone goes gaga over it." Here's a hint for you... its where your argument gets trashed. If you're going to respond to someone... respond to their points... not your profiling.

Quote:

What kind of market support are you looking for? Heck, to me, putting files onto the IPod is more difficult since you have to have a program in order to transfer files. With other MP3 players, you just plug it in, open it in My Computer, and then put the music or video files in. Easy and no need to connect to ITunes. So whoopie, there is more market support that you probably will not even use. Big deal.

Market support, ie. peripherals. So I'm not going to buy additional peripherals for my iPod? Others don't? So why is the market saturated with peripherals for the iPod, if other aren't buying them?

As for ease of use, I put a CD in, I click on a button... I'm done.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
K24B_Flight wrote:

An iPod must have slept with his g/f.

Childish remark 2: I didn't know you slept with an IPod, JD
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Anyone try using a phone as their primary digital music player? Is it practical?
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

And I quote, "Those who get the IPod are the ones who think they are cooler than others..."

So while you may not have singled myself (or others) out... you lumped us all together.

So my bad on lumping everyone together. However, I have seen it being the case that a lot of people get it as a fashion statement.

Quote:
Quote:

Read my point again. I couldn't care less who had what first, or the other features they may have. I don't use those other features.

Here you go lumping people together again. "Everyone goes gaga over it." Here's a hint for you... its where your argument gets trashed. If you're going to respond to someone... respond to their points... not your profiling.

Oh well, if you don't like the features, then nothing else to debate about, right? I'm just saying that if you were a student, then the voice recorder would be useful to record the lectures of instructors during class time. So everyone to their own.

As to responding to points, other than you not wanting to use them, I don't understand what is so bad about having extra features. You don't even respond to those points and you expect others to respond? And although I might have been profiling, not everyone is you either JD. There are more people who follow the flow than they go against it.

Quote:
Quote:

Market support, ie. peripherals. So I'm not going to buy additional peripherals for my iPod? Others don't? So why is the market saturated with peripherals for the iPod, if other aren't buying them?

As for ease of use, I put a CD in, I click on a button... I'm done.

Peripherals? Okay, like I said, it's all up to the individual. I just can't imagine what type of peripherals would make it worthwhile.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: