Technical question for those who play guitar...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Technical question for those who play guitar...

I have an epiphone les paul i bought about 3 years ago. Still have the stock pick ups. When i try do multiple hammer-ons/pull offs the notes go completely dead after the second pull-off. Same thing when i try to hold a bend or do some vibratos. Question is, should i get new pickups or am i not "pulling off" hard enough because it does take a lot for me to do a pull-off. i just want to know if it is my pickups before i go and spend money on them. thanks.
daxeqtr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:

maybe your action is messed up?
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

hmm... i don't think so because i always have my guitar taken in for a set up where they adjust the action.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking it was the action as well.

If the first note are audible, there should be no reason why the others shoulnd't be heard as well.

Hmmmm.

Does this also happen when you play it without an amp?
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

when i play without the amp it sounds ok....normal i guess. obviously you can't get the same sound but to me it sounds the way it should when i don't have it plugged in. maybe i just need another set up too.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Are your pickups too high?

Since there are magnets in pickups, if they're raised up too high (close to the strings), the magnets can drag down the strings and kill all your sustain.

But the pickups would have to be up REALLY high to cause that much sustain loss.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

really doubt that's the problem. i wouldve noticed that. would it make a difference if i bought new pickups? are they really expensive for an epiphone? sux not being able to play licks like the intro to thunderstuck.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

as daxeqtr and B_P noted, if your action is too low it will cause the string on the fret you are playing to touch the next fret after the one you are playing. the sound will go dead at that point. i always have that problem when my action is too low. even when i do a full bend, the sound just dies off. raising the action always fixes the problem. just gotta fine tune it, and even the people who fix my guitars professionally mess it up sometimes.

another major cause for loss of sustain or sound going dead could be your strings. if they are old that will cause the sound of your pull offs and bends to just die off. my suggestion would be to raise the action a bit and slap on some new strings if they are older than a few months.

i really doubt your pickups are the problem. best way to figure that out is to see if you are having the same problem on your neck pickup and your bridge pickup. if the same thing happens on both pickups you can probably rule out a problem with your pickups. just make sure your strings arent too close to the pickups. they should be at least 1/4 inch away from each other. plus, you got a fairly new epiphone les paul. i have 20 year old guitars with original pickups and they still purr. that guitar should give you great sustain on all your bends and everything else you do.

good luck
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

thanks to all of you!...ill defenitely have that checked out!
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

we're always happy to help out fellow rockers! oh yeah, and the thunderstruck intro was one of the first songs i ever learned how to play like 15 years ago when i first started out. funny thing about that song is that ive always used hammers and pulls to play that song without using a pick. then i read an angus young interview last year where he explained that he picks every note for that riff and doesnt use hammer ons and pulloffs. i tried it that way and it just doesnt sound right. youre timing has to be perfect or it just wont work. so, im still stickin to the hammer and pull off way. much cooler.

Lakers + Guitar + 24 + Hot Chicks = Life
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

we're always happy to help out fellow rockers! oh yeah, and the thunderstruck intro was one of the first songs i ever learned how to play like 15 years ago when i first started out. funny thing about that song is that ive always used hammers and pulls to play that song without using a pick. then i read an angus young interview last year where he explained that he picks every note for that riff and doesnt use hammer ons and pulloffs. i tried it that way and it just doesnt sound right. youre timing has to be perfect or it just wont work. so, im still stickin to the hammer and pull off way. much cooler.

Lakers + Guitar + 24 + Hot Chicks = Life

i think i saw that interview too. but in the thunderstruck video he uses his fingers only. defenitely nicer sound without the pick
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Probably the most obvious and hasn't been mentioned yet, is your finger position, in relation to the fret.

Are you hammering/pulling directly inbetween frets? Try positioning your fingers closer to the fret/note you're trying to play. Experiment with fingering position to hear the difference. You'll get a sharper and more distinct note (more sustain), closer to the fret. You might want to work on your finger strength also, as repeated hammers/pulls will fatigue the fingers rather rapidly if they're weak.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

oh yea!....i never really focused on my finger positioning. ill give that a try to. im slowly starting to develop the strength when pulling off because i know you have to pluck a tiny bit when you pull. Its not just touching and letting go. But ill defenitely work on my positioning too. thanks.
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

just got the same guitar for free..apparently someone left it in an old van that was to be junked off. ..Dont have an amp though.

I've playing for about 3 yrs on and off and jus recently have noticed improvements in chord changing speed. I eventually want to learn how to go into solos. Are there any excercises that can help me with speed and accuracy?
daxeqtr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

turbulent wrote:
just got the same guitar for free..apparently someone left it in an old van that was to be junked off. ..Dont have an amp though.

I've playing for about 3 yrs on and off and jus recently have noticed improvements in chord changing speed. I eventually want to learn how to go into solos. Are there any excercises that can help me with speed and accuracy?

Try practicing the scales to help with your accuracy. By practicing the scales slowly at first and then increasing the speeds gradually you should improve your pick speed and accuracy.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

daxeqtr wrote:
turbulent wrote:

Try practicing the scales to help with your accuracy. By practicing the scales slowly at first and then increasing the speeds gradually you should improve your pick speed and accuracy.

it will also help with your improvisation
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

epi-phony is not a real Les Paul...there's your problem..
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
daxeqtr wrote:
turbulent wrote:

in not sure what that means?
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

yea well..im not rich like you and can afford a gibson. I was in college, with about 200 buks in my bank account and spent it all on the epiphone. sorry :roll:
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

turbulent wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
daxeqtr wrote:
turbulent wrote:

in not sure what that means?

yknow, making up solos on the fly. when you learn the scale, you'll learn the names of notes which can help you make up cool licks
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

The Epiphone's are pretty nice guitars. Certainly not the real deal... but nothing to bag on.

What are you playing?

Kramer Beretta (American) for me... and I'll put it up against anything. Its the nicest guitar I've ever played (and I've played everything from Gibsons - incl a Les Paul Black Beauty which I almost got to buy for $300, Fenders, to Ibanez, Carvins, Jacksons, BC Rich, etc)... and anyone who's ever had a chance to play it, has said the same thing.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

i love social distortion (as you can see) stray cats, tiger army, chuck berry. That california surfer/rockabilly music. One day i want to buy a guitar that is good at having those kind of sounds. I notice that brian setzer, chuck berry, nick 13 from tiger army all have gretsch guitars. Are these type of guitars the best for that "surfer" style of music?
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Hey rock heads

I really like Santana's warm distorted sound... any recomendations on how I can (try) to get that sound? And the budget is not "sky's the limit" but rather.. more budgety

TIA
LakersAFI
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
i love social distortion (as you can see) stray cats, tiger army, chuck berry. That california surfer/rockabilly music. One day i want to buy a guitar that is good at having those kind of sounds. I notice that brian setzer, chuck berry, nick 13 from tiger army all have gretsch guitars. Are these type of guitars the best for that "surfer" style of music?

yeh i noticed that too but yeh there good guitars.. for that surfer sound you want, or you need a very good amp..(man love tiger Army) but yeh i have a Fender... my dream guitar is a "Gibson SG standart" but im broke...
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

yea well..im not rich like you and can afford a gibson. I was in college, with about 200 buks in my bank account and spent it all on the epiphone. sorry :roll:

aww..my bad brah...I didn't meant to come off like a prick..
its all good...sorry dude..

I've actually been blessed with great deals on all my gear...no joke..

I have a CE-22 PRS; '73 black beauty; USA Tele; 414 taylor acoustic; dual recto amp; Mesa Nomad amp... with various effects pedals..wireless..

you're right though...there are some epiphones that sound decent...actually..have you heard of Heritage? these are the original gibson luthiers before they moved the factory out to nashville...I used to have one of those..but I sold it...and regret it..

www.heritageguitar.com[url][/url]
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: