What happened to 100.3 the beat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: What happened to 100.3 the beat

where did all the rap go? and did they cancel summer jam this year
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

note sure about what happened to the recent 100.3 but...

i know my fellow rockers remember 100.3 Pirate Radio that was on back in the late 80s early 90s. they had the "welcome to the jungle" anthem playing all the time. good times while it lasted.

i think i still have one of the pirate radio bumper stickers faded away on one of my old guitar amps.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering the same thing, its become mostly old school r&b
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

they got weak ass john salley on the show...First it was annoyinng, ugly ass Steve Harvey and now its MR ED salley.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:

there's no such thing as good rap on the radio. you have to look elsewhere for good rap.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:

i know my fellow rockers remember 100.3 Pirate Radio that was on back in the late 80s early 90s. they had the "welcome to the jungle" anthem playing all the time. good times while it lasted.

i think i still have one of the pirate radio bumper stickers faded away on one of my old guitar amps.

Yeah, 100.3 KNAC Pirate Radio out of Long Beach.

Let's not forget the late, great 94.7 KMET, The Might Met with Paraquat Kelly, Gonzer, Cynthia Fox, Dr. Demento and Frazer Smith. I remember when they switched over to 'The Wave'.

I don't know what people listen to in LA and OC, at least out here in the IE we have 103.9 KCXX and 96.7 KCAL (which literally turns spanish when you hit the OC border on the 91)
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Hell, what happened to old Theo, from 92.3 The Beat .... he just fell off the face of the Earth
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

100.3 was continuing its struggle in ratings, so its management decided to turn the station into a R&B/Classic Soul station. They label it as Urban Adult Contemporary or something, but it pretty much means they won't be playing much hip hop/rap on there, if they play any at all any more. They are trying a newer radio format of talk radio with music all combined into one, so they picked up some bigger named radio personalities. Their morning show, which previously was hosted by John Salley, and even more previously, by Steve Harvey, now has some radio person named Tom Joyner.

I'm pretty sure that the station will not last in its current new format, but we'll see. I just don't see them having enough collection of music and fans to keep it going the way it now is.

As for Summer Jam, I doubt they'll have one this year, and if they do, it'll probably be more of an R&B type of thing (Mary J Blige type of music).

Interestingly, Steve Harvey, who has a nationally syndicated morning radio show, is now on KDAY 93.5 on the radio. Personally, I think that's too bad, because KDAY had something going there with all of it's non mainstream flavoring. Now, despite it still using the KDAY classic label and the like, it's pretty much no different than Power 106. Variety has disappeared, again.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

it seems more r/b than rap and hiphop now

at least power 106 is still alive
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

I absolutely LOVE gangsta rap.... since I was 7 years old I was listening to MC Eiht, NWA, Kwik, now that im 25 rap has sure changed but good thing is i still have my albums. i miss the NWA days they are long gone tha Dogg Pound's album is gonna drop soon... and the GAME is coming back with a new album....and Dre detox is coming out.... and I am just hoping for another NWA album before these guys call it quits...

RIP Eric Wright

Last edited by LaLakers999 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

When I used to go to UC Irvine, I used to listen to KDAY 1580 on the AM dial. 24 hour hip hop. Those were the days.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:
When I used to go to UC Irvine, I used to listen to KDAY 1580 on the AM dial. 24 hour hip hop. Those were the days.

UCI in the house
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:

UCI in the house

ZOT ZOT ZOT
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:

I liked Pirate Radio when they dropped the pirate and just was 100.3. The only time I ever heard fIREHOSE on radio. I'm sure that's what killed it.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

i think it moved back to 92.3
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:

I have an old tape of stuff I recorded from 1580 in like 1986 or so.

It's got Bobby Jimmy and the Critters ( the black Weird Al) doing "Colored's" which was a parody of Ice T's "Colors" and a bunch of other way old school stuff.

thoooose were the daaaaayyyyyyzzzzzz....
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
100.3 was continuing its struggle in ratings, so its management decided to turn the station into a R&B/Classic Soul station. They label it as Urban Adult Contemporary or something, but it pretty much means they won't be playing much hip hop/rap on there, if they play any at all any more. They are trying a newer radio format of talk radio with music all combined into one, so they picked up some bigger named radio personalities. Their morning show, which previously was hosted by John Salley, and even more previously, by Steve Harvey, now has some radio person named Tom Joyner.

I'm pretty sure that the station will not last in its current new format, but we'll see. I just don't see them having enough collection of music and fans to keep it going the way it now is.

As for Summer Jam, I doubt they'll have one this year, and if they do, it'll probably be more of an R&B type of thing (Mary J Blige type of music).

Interestingly, Steve Harvey, who has a nationally syndicated morning radio show, is now on KDAY 93.5 on the radio. Personally, I think that's too bad, because KDAY had something going there with all of it's non mainstream flavoring. Now, despite it still using the KDAY classic label and the like, it's pretty much no different than Power 106. Variety has disappeared, again.

^^ i was thinking the same thing, when i heard about harvey going to kday. i'm like, are they just taking 100.3's spot? to end up right where 100.3 is now, beggging for ratings.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: