If we still had jumaine jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I say split the MLE between Jones and Pargo. They both are good shooters, good defenders and some what know the triangle. Shooting and defense is percisely what we need at the small forward and point guard positions, and these two guys supply that and come relatively cheap.

Pargo 5 years/ 14.5 million
Jones 5 years/ 14.5 million

Scoobs thats not a bad idea @ all

Los Angeles Lakers
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

I believe you are the one who is seeking after Jones. I implied that there was no reason to do so.

The Lakers need STARTING quality NBA players. Jones is a bench player. A nice role player. Thats it. THe MLE is the most important tool the Lakers have to improve the team. Why waste it on not one but TWO bench warmers? Both of whom have already been with the Lakers and cast off.

Why waste the MLE on those guys when you can get Profit who was much better than Jones, and Rush both for less than the LLE?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
scoobs wrote:
I say split the MLE between Jones and Pargo. They both are good shooters, good defenders and some what know the triangle. Shooting and defense is percisely what we need at the small forward and point guard positions, and these two guys supply that and come relatively cheap.

Pargo 5 years/ 14.5 million
Jones 5 years/ 14.5 million

Scoobs thats not a bad idea @ all

No that's a horrible idea...let's worry about filling the holes in our starting lineup before loading up the bench. I would not give Jones nor Pargo more than the LLE. What a waste of the MLE...
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason wrote:
I believe you are the one who is seeking after Jones. I implied that there was no reason to do so.

The Lakers need STARTING quality NBA players. Jones is a bench player. A nice role player. Thats it. THe MLE is the most important tool the Lakers have to improve the team. Why waste it on not one but TWO bench warmers? Both of whom have already been with the Lakers and cast off.

Why waste the MLE on those guys when you can get Profit who was much better than Jones, and Rush both for less than the LLE?

Bench players? wasn't Smush in the D league before starting for us and surprising the league? Jones could most def start on this team. Pargo was dropped because we had Payton & Fish. Jones was a very bad mistake as Phil even admitted.

Los Angeles Lakers
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Imna say it for the last time, JJ was traded cuz he couldnt understand the tri in a million years, I remember Phil or someone saying he still had no idea about it after 2 months of practice or so.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Imna say it for the last time, JJ was traded cuz he couldnt understand the tri in a million years, I remember Phil or someone saying he still had no idea about it after 2 months of practice or so.

I doubt that highly because there was quite a few players who had no idea in the first 2 mos. He was traded because we had more small forwards than we needed and to make space for another player.

Los Angeles Lakers
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
I think we would have beaten the suns. He could have defended Tim and hes a beast on the boards and would have also been a 3pt threat.

Where would Jones get his minutes from?

At SF we played a combination of Kobe, George, Walton and Odom. I don't think I would play Jones over any of those 4.

Clearly he isn't in the league of Kobe or Odom. In special situations I think George's defense combined with his 3 point shooting gives us more than Jones' rebounding/3 point shooting and Walton's offense initiation gives us more flexibility than what Jones would provide.

I liked Jones also but he was unfortunately at a position that we had better and more varied talent that went 4 players deep.

If we had a Jones level player at PG, SG and maybe PF I'd take him over Sasha and Smush. I actually don't think a Jones level PF would be better than Cook. Cook is a solid 8th player on the bench and gives our offense a different look when he's on the floor. He's not a good defender but not as bad as some people on this board believe. Clearly he is worthless against elite PFs however he does move his feet, isn't lazy (though a lack of strength hurts him) and will pick up charges as well as any big man in the game does.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
I think we would have beaten the suns. He could have defended Tim and hes a beast on the boards and would have also been a 3pt threat.

At SF we played a combination of Kobe, George, Walton and Odom. I don't think I would play Jones over any of those 4.

Clearly he isn't in the league of Kobe or Odom. In special situations I think George's defense combined with his 3 point shooting gives us more than Jones' rebounding/3 point shooting and Walton's offense initiation gives us more flexibility than what Jones would provide.

I liked Jones also but he was unfortunately at a position that we had better and more varied talent that went 4 players deep.

If we had a Jones level player at PG, SG and maybe PF I'd take him over Sasha and Smush. I actually don't think a Jones level PF would be better than Cook. Cook is a solid 8th player on the bench and gives our offense a different look when he's on the floor. He's not a good defender but not as bad as some people on this board believe. Clearly he is worthless against elite PFs however he does move his feet, isn't lazy (though a lack of strength hurts him) and will pick up charges as well as any big man in the game does.

If we had Jones we could have played him in place of Walton & DG hes a better defender shooter & rebounder than both guys. So there would have been no problem.

Los Angeles Lakers
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

If we had Jones we could have played him in place of Walton & DG hes a better defender shooter & rebounder than both guys. So there would have been no problem.

I've got to disagree with you big time. I'm not George fan and I do like Jones due to his hustle but George is a much better defender than Jones IMO due to his length and better athleticism.

Jones is a better 3 point shooter/defender than Luke but when Luke's in there, it's because we need an intiator. Luke gives us an opportunity to change our look where as Jones gives us someone whose skills are similar to George's without the size or athleticism.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

I've got to disagree with you big time. I'm not George fan and I do like Jones due to his hustle but George is a much better defender than Jones IMO due to his length and better athleticism.

Jones is a better 3 point shooter/defender than Luke but when Luke's in there, it's because we need an intiator. Luke gives us an opportunity to change our look where as Jones gives us someone whose skills are similar to George's without the size or athleticism.

LMAO are you crazy? 1 Jones is the same size as George 2 He plays better defense and more consistent with it too. 3 He doesn't make the same bone head mistakes George makes.

Los Angeles Lakers
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Jumaine Jones is one of the most overrated players on this board.

Though, admittedly, he's a better 2-way role player than DG.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."

Last edited by magic_bryant on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Even the scouting reports shows Jones is better

George = Good
attitude and athleticism... Good rebounder for his position... His
outside shot lacks consistency... Mediocre ballhandling skills...
Not a threat one-on-one.

Jones = Able
to play both forward positions... Explosive... Great in the open court... Has three-point shooting range... Very effective shooting from the
corner... Pretty good rebounder... Tenacious defender... Should drive to the basket more often... An underrated player.

I can't believe were even talking about this

Los Angeles Lakers
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Jumaine Jones is one of the most overrated players on this board.

Though, admittedly, he's a better 2-way role player than DG.

He's not overrated. He's a very good role player to have on a team.

Los Angeles Lakers
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:

He's a good role player to have on a team, sure. However, people on this board look at his one season in LA and talk as if he's some kind of All-Time great role player.

"Move over Horry, Jumaine Jones is making his way through!!"

:roll:
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
He's a good role player to have on a team, sure. However, people on this board look at his one season in LA and talk as if he's some kind of All-Time great role player.

LMAO nah I dont think people treat him like that

Los Angeles Lakers
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

LMAO nah I dont think people treat him like that

That's the feeling I get.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

LMAO are you crazy? 1 Jones is the same size as George 2 He plays better defense and more consistent with it too. 3 He doesn't make the same bone head mistakes George makes.

Where in either of those uncredited scouting reports was defense ever mentioned? Phil did state that JJ could not get the tri and I will look for the link on that. I remember reading it like it was yesterday. He is a better three point shooter than George and a better finisher around the rim, but George brought much more to the table for the Lakers this year than JJ would have. I wish JJ well and I wish Devean's feet and ankles were not seemingly made from blown glass. Devean has accomplished more than any Div. 111 player in the history of the NBA and when healthy is capable of locking down the likes of VC, TMac, and many other great offensive swingmen in the L.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

PrplReign wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

Where in either of those uncredited scouting reports was defense ever mentioned? Phil did state that JJ could not get the tri and I will look for the link on that. I remember reading it like it was yesterday. He is a better three point shooter than George and a better finisher around the rim, but George brought much more to the table for the Lakers this year than JJ would have. I wish JJ well and I wish Devean's feet and ankles were not seemingly made from blown glass. Devean has accomplished more than any Div. 111 player in the history of the NBA and when healthy is capable of locking down the likes of VC, TMac, and many other great offensive swingmen in the L.

Those reports are from Hoopshype and i didn know i had to mention the site every time a scouting report is posted. Defense was mentioned on JJ report. Like I said before there was other players like Kwame who didnt get it, and he was traded due to the log jam at SF more than anything.

Los Angeles Lakers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

Phil didn't even want Jones on the team, do you think he would have played him over Walton and a healthy DG? No way.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

venturalakersfan wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

Phil didn't even want Jones on the team, do you think he would have played him over Walton and a healthy DG? No way.

Phil also never gave him a chance judging by his quote that if he knew he was that good he wouldn't have been traded.

Los Angeles Lakers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

Phil also never gave him a chance judging by his quote that if he knew he was that good he wouldn't have been traded.

Have you read Phil's book? Do you think he ever says things he doesn't really mean? Phil had Jones, and he was traded. That says more than Phil's statement after Jones had a great game against the Lakers. Personally, I loved Jones and his defense. But unless he could pick up the triangle quickly, I don't think Phil would have given him PT over Walton or DG.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

venturalakersfan wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kawai442 wrote:
KwamesMyGuy wrote:

Have you read Phil's book? Do you think he ever says things he doesn't really mean? Phil had Jones, and he was traded. That says more than Phil's statement after Jones had a great game against the Lakers. Personally, I loved Jones and his defense. But unless he could pick up the triangle quickly, I don't think Phil would have given him PT over Walton or DG.

All that proves it he chose two guys who played in the triangle before over him. They wouldn't have ask him to run the triangle like Kobe Odom & luke. So how hard would it have been for him to learn it over the season?

Los Angeles Lakers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: If we still had jumaine jones

KwamesMyGuy wrote:

All that proves it he chose two guys who played in the triangle before over him. They wouldn't have ask him to run the triangle like Kobe Odom & luke. So how hard would it have been for him to learn it over the season?

Yes, he would choose two guys that know how to run the triangle over Jones. Thus, Jones wouldn't have gotten much PT, that is why he was traded. How hard would it have been for Jones to learn the triangle over the season? We'll never know.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: