should marijuana be legalized?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: should marijuana be legalized?

im bored and wanna hear your guys view

whatta ya think?
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a problem with it.

I don't care for it personally, but so long as alcohol is legal it's hypocritical to keep pot illegal, especially when it has some medical uses.

Plus, I have never been hit by a toking driver but I have been hit by a drunk driver.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

It should be, but the government won't do it.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Yes
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely. Less deadly than tobacco; doesn't cause violence and drunk driving like alcohol; govt. spends tens of billions and wastes endless jail space; it's all about politics. The drug war, especially in regards to mary jane is absolutely nuts; it is illogical and counterproductive, but it is career suicide to even suggest altering course if you are in government...
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
Absolutely. Less deadly than tobacco; doesn't cause violence and drunk driving like alcohol; govt. spends tens of billions and wastes endless jail space; it's all about politics. The drug war, especially in regards to mary jane is absolutely nuts; it is illogical and counterproductive, but it is career suicide to even suggest altering course if you are in government...

That's just it. MJ has symbolized anti-government ever since the protest of the 60s against he Vietnam War. Since it has been banned, people are misinformed about marijuana and thus have no qualms about keeping it banned. I also think it's probably a hot button issue that politicians like to use to get votes from their constituants.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

Yes, just apply the same rules and regulations as cigarettes.
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:

Heck Yea!!! Because it's too expensive now. I actually never got high b4.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:

victimless crime, YES

BTW, the real reason it's illegal is because the government is making way too much money off taxing cigarettes. You don't get pot addicts like you do nicotine addicts. Keeping marijuana illegal means more cigarette sells and smokers. If they legalize it they know they'd still lose out to the dealers because it's not like you'd be able to buy some good medical quality herb over the counter at AMPM. More people would rather buy a pack of cigarettes than a nick of stress. I don't care about it being legalized because I'm still going to buy it, smoke it, and sometimes even grow it despite what the government does. If you only carry around a few grams the pigs can't do anything but write you a citation, just don't be stupid and give them reasons to believe you're distributing it.
NewpLakersFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

Yes, I work in a research lab and from the results we see it helps alot of patients with cancer with dulling pain and inducing apetite. It does more good than bad and plus it's a great recreational activity. 8)
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

Nope.
LakerPhreak91
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

Yes. It's more about the wonder's of hemp and what it would have done to the textile industry at the time of criminalization......
LakeShow09
LG Multimedia Team
LG Multimedia Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

No
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

absolutely. have regulations on it, tax it, and put the money into the states instead of in the pockets of criminals.
popowapu
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

no! because it's not good for the vocal chords
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

popowapu wrote:
no! because it's not good for the vocal chords

neither are ciggarettes...but those are legal. alcohol isn't good for your liver. lots of things we ingest aren't good for us. trans fat, high fructose corn syrup, mcdonalds, coca cola etc.

i believe in putting the health information out there and let people make decisions for themselves as to whether or not they want to use it instead of government making decisions for us.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
victimless crime, YES

BTW, the real reason it's illegal is because the government is making way too much money off taxing cigarettes. You don't get pot addicts like you do nicotine addicts. Keeping marijuana illegal means more cigarette sells and smokers. If they legalize it they know they'd still lose out to the dealers because it's not like you'd be able to buy some good medical quality herb over the counter at AMPM. More people would rather buy a pack of cigarettes than a nick of stress. I don't care about it being legalized because I'm still going to buy it, smoke it, and sometimes even grow it despite what the government does. If you only carry around a few grams the pigs can't do anything but write you a citation, just don't be stupid and give them reasons to believe you're distributing it.

This doesn't make sense. Since they can't tax it, they decide spend billions of dollars a year to stop it? That doesn't make sense. In fact, the amount of money they spend trying to catch these people should be staggering.

Also, if the government legalizes it, they can have better control of the product. There will be those who grow their own weed, but the government can push for a better brand of marijuana on the market that is approved by the FDA. Just having that FDA seal of approval will help sell the product and the government will make a lot of money taxing it.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Yes, just apply the same rules and regulations as cigarettes.

wut he said
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
STiG909 wrote:
victimless crime, YES

This doesn't make sense. Since they can't tax it, they decide spend billions of dollars a year to stop it? That doesn't make sense. In fact, the amount of money they spend trying to catch these people should be staggering.

Also, if the government legalizes it, they can have better control of the product. There will be those who grow their own weed, but the government can push for a better brand of marijuana on the market that is approved by the FDA. Just having that FDA seal of approval will help sell the product and the government will make a lot of money taxing it.

There's no evidence that says the government is spending billions of dollars to fight the war on drugs. They've released "numbers" in the past, but I refuse to believe that money is really going towards keeping drugs illegal. I'm sure a lot of the money ended up in somebody's pocket or was never there to begin with. You can't be naive about these things. Fake spending programs are always being created to make politicians rich and to make the public think they're improving things. I'm already over the fact that our government lies and is the biggest collection of white collar criminals on the planet.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
STiG909 wrote:
victimless crime, YES

There's no evidence that says the government is spending billions of dollars to fight the war on drugs. They've released "numbers" in the past, but I refuse to believe that money is really going towards keeping drugs illegal. I'm sure a lot of the money ended up in somebody's pocket or was never there to begin with. You can't be naive about these things. Fake spending programs are always being created to make politicians rich and to make the public think they're improving things. I'm already over the fact that our government lies and is the biggest collection of white collar criminals on the planet.

Let's not kid ourselves that there is no evidence that the government is spending money on the war on drugs. What do you think the police do when they catch a person with drugs? Don't we have to pay for the police? Don't people spend time in jail for doing drugs? Who pays for that? Don't they go through a trial where lawyers are provided for them if they can't afford one and a judge presides over the case? Doesn't that cost money? So I can't for the life of me comprehend how you think money isn't being spent on the war on drugs.

As for government lies and all that, I agree that politicians do many questionable things that line their pockets. I don't disagree with that. But marijuana being illegal is not purely based on the conscious decision on not being able to make tax money off of it. There will be people who can grow the stuff themselves, but for the most part, people who like to smoke pot won't have the time to grow the stuff. The only reason the pockets of shady people are lined up is because there's an underground market for marijuana. Once that market is eradicated by making pot legal, it can be controlled and taxed legally as another product.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject:

I'm torn on this issue. I do have to laugh at people who claim MJ isn't addictive or doesn't cause any real problems. I have had two close family members with addiction problems with MJ. It has caused them lots of problems - not legal problems either - but basic lifestyle changes that were not for the good. I'm not saying that tobbacco or alcohol don't do more total damage - because they obviously do. I don't think that should be the reason that MJ is or isn't legalized.

But on the other hand, as I get older I seriously have to question how much good criminalization of MJ does. I would prefer that, instead of jail sentences, those caught would get HUGE fines that must be paid off. If those caught can't pay them off, then they need to work them off. Of course that means another expensive government program to put these people to work to pay off their debts.

In the end, there is no perfect answer. We would be better off if there were no such thing as MJ or other rec drugs. But that isn't reality. I guess I'll just hope that those closest to me don't get involved in that lifestyle. I've yet to see something good come from it.

Jake Speed, 1986
ALF
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

Yes.

Marijuana isn't good for you but I think it comes down to personal choice. Plus, I think the time and money spent enforcing marijuana laws could be put to better use.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

I dunno....

I have a severe ADHD/ADD problem (attention deficit disorder and hearing disorder) I was a very weird kid growing up and even still some in my latter years. growing up I was a terrible student, I barely finished college and to this day I have problems focusing on daily tasks.

When I smoked marijuana (and it wasnt that often) I felt I could focus on something and not lose interest (I.E. school work). For the first time in my life I felt that I could do something productive and not be distracted. When I was under the influnece, I could see and feel the problems that I was having with my life. (the things I said or did that were wrong) I would remember them and correct my problems. Marijuana was something no prescribed medicine could ever give me.

HOWEVER...
with my problem came the side effects of smoking mary jane. I became a social (bleep) and cannot even communicate simple answers to simple questions.. A common problem for users... THATS WHY I NEVER PICKED UP THE HABIT... I cannot smoke with people nor could I smoke alone because I lived with my parents... And the price is expensive at 20 bucks a G. So I decided to get a G/F and take her to the movies whenever I felt the need to get High.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Interesting that most who said "yes" had some interesting reasons given; the only "no" answers gave no justification or explanation...
G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:

All drugs should be legal
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: