"Poor-mans Shaq and Kobe" - Josh Howard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoothCbutla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:

That's because last year they took Prince off Wade since he was burning him. Tay's lenght is more suited for players like Tmac and Kobe but Wade is smaller and too quick for him.

Oh and I've always said the Mavs have way too many weapons for the Heat to handle, but Josh putting something like that in the paper is not a good idea.

Remember Gilbert Arenas said something similiar after the Shaq trade and he talked some trash about Wade? I can't name a team or player that Wade has owned more than the Wizards ever since then. Wade is like Kobe he will take a matchup personal and find a way to shove it in your face.

"I know everybody is thinking Shaquille O'Neal is going to do everything for
Miami, but I think they got rid of too many people to get him," he said. "If
they are at the top, it's going to be us or them that are going to win the
division. Of course, everybody has to stay healthy."

Although O'Neal's presence could help the Heat challenge reigning champion
Detroit for Eastern Conference supremacy, Arenas doesn't believe O'Neal will
find it quite as easy without Bryant.

"Dwyane Wade proved that he couldn't shoot in the Olympics," Arenas said
about the first-team all-rookie selection. "They've also got Eddie Jones,
but let's be honest: Combined, the two of them are not Kobe. Shaq is going
to find out that they don't have the role players or the bench that the
Lakers had, so it's not going to be the same.
"Of course, you have to worry about Shaq because no one can stop him.
But since you can't stop him, it's not about Shaq. You're not building your
team to stop him. But you can't just give them the division championship."

"With Shaq, looking at his past, he's going to miss at least 15 games,"
Arenas said. "Same thing with Eddie Jones. And then you have Dwayne Wade by
himself, and I don't think he can carry a team."

"They are going to continue to get all the headlines, and that's good,"
Arenas said. "Everyone else, including us, will be under the radar."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

prince was too big and long to handle the quick smaller wade.

however dallas has howard, daniels, terry and johnson who can slow wade. the main problem that miami will face in the series is the fact that dallas is versatile and can play lots of different styles and deploy lots of different lineups.

basically for the heat to win they need walker, payton and williams to play amazing. are all three of those guys gonna put up 4 great games? don't think so.

shaq doesn't leave the paint and thus can't do anything to help w/ dirk. so then you have haslem and posey trying to guard dirk? puhleez. not to mention dallas has better cutters/slashers in stackhouse and howard. dallas is younger as well, and if they get a little running game going, shaq can't get down the floor fast enough and neither can walker or payton. the heat have shaq and wade and a bunch of over the hill, inconsistent vets.

dirk has emerged as the biggest mismatch in the nba, with the emergence of his post game. i think that is the main reason the mavs will be too much for the heat to handle.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
Dallas has already been tested by the some of the best defensive teams in the league and the best offensive team.

Memphis - Great defensive team, that likes to bang.

Spurs - World Champions, deep bench, great defense, great coach.

Suns - Best offensive team BY FAR in the league.

What can Miami do that Dallas hasn't already seen?! No way in hell could Miami have got through the 3 teams above.

Dallas in 5 or 6 - Miami hasn't played anyone close to Dallas' level.

Miami can get defensive rebounds, which should negate all the offensive boards the Mavs got against the Spurs (since they went small, against their nature) and the Suns (since they are just small overall).

Dallas also hasn't seen a big, physical guard like wade in the playoffs either.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

Question: Why did San Antonio go small (against their nature)?

Answer: Because they were forced to.

Yet, for some reason... Miami is immune to matchups. :roll:
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Question: Why won't Miami have to go small?

Answer 1: Because Haslem is quicker than every other Spur big outside of Duncan. Unless he is in serious foul trouble, I doubt he will only average 16 minutes per game this series (Horry's avg for their series, the most of any other SA big..while B.Barry got 23 min a game).

Answer 2: Because you could put Dirk on a gimpy Duncan for stretches and get away with it. Duncan is a better player but he doesn't have the physical presence of Shaq. I doubt you see Dirk at C a lot this series.

Question: What if Miami does go small?

Answer 3: Assume Riley sits Haslem (which I doubt), then Walker becomes your PF if Miami goes small. He is averaging 6 boards a game in reserve action this playoffs, and has a career average of 8 a game. Running small with him is a big difference then running a small lineup with 4 guards (ala the Spurs).

SA was forced to go small because they didn't have the personnel that Miami does. I expect Haslem to play this series (I still think Dirk will eat his lunch) and I don't expect Dallas to get all the 2nd chance points they got in the last 2 series. I think they can win but they will have to shoot better from the field.

Now, are you predicting that Riley will sit his PF (Haslem) for the majority of this series?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

I'm telling you, Dallas's team speed is going to KILL the Heat. The more I think about it, the more this series looks to have all the makings of the Detroit vs LA series in '04:

Shaq, Superstar SG, and great OFFENSIVE pieces around them vs a very versatile, athletic team that relies on speed and has a GREAT ability to rotate.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I'm telling you, Dallas's team speed is going to KILL the Heat. The more I think about it, the more this series looks to have all the makings of the Detroit vs LA series in '04:

Shaq, Superstar SG, and great OFFENSIVE pieces around them vs a very versatile, athletic team that relies on speed and has a GREAT ability to rotate.

The team speed vs the inside game is why I'm excited about this series. This will really be a battle of two different styles.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Exactly! When u force the San Antonio Spurs too adjust too you unwillingly, you know your onto something. The spurs do make adjustments, like against the suns, but they choose too do it against the suns. Against the mavericks, their forced and cant match them.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Poor-mans Shaq and Kobe" - Josh Howard

LakerJam wrote:
TheMagicalLakerLegend wrote:
Das wrote:
When
Personally I think this would be the hardest match up for Wade. I dont know why they didnt put Prince on him a lot more when the Pistons were playing them.

Mavs in 6 games.

Did you watch the series, Wade owned Prince, dominated him, haven't seen Kobe do that, Wades a good player.

I did watch the series and for the most part Prince DIDN'T GUARD WADE. In fact, that was one of the criticisms of Flip Saunders because no one could understand why he didn't put his best perimeter defender on Miami's best perimeter player.
FYI Kobe averaged a hair under 40 ppg against Detroit this year. That's pretty dam dominant. In fact, Kobe was the only player in the entire league to average that much against Detroit, and he did it without the talent around him that Wade has that other teams can't ignore, thus the defensive focus was far more on Kobe and he still torched the Pisstons. I assume that since you've never seen Kobe do it, you missed those games?

good post
LTD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Personally I think this would be the hardest match up for Wade. I dont know why they didnt put Prince on him a lot more when the Pistons were playing them.

I think what people don't realize is that this year Detroit couldn't put Prince on Wade because that would have left Rip guarding Walker. Even though Prince really can't guard Wade anyway, Detroit could get away with it last year because Rip could hold his own against Eddie. They couldn't do that with Walker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: