All NBA Versatile Team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: All NBA Versatile Team

who do you think the top 5 most versatile players in the league are? my list is:

1. dirk nowitzki
2. lamar odom
3. lebron james
4. kobe bryant
5. kevin garnett
BigGameYimmy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

Shawn Marion HAS to be on the list, in no particular order:

Marion
Odom
Kobe
KG
Bron
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

Tough one...hate to say it, but I probably bump Kobe from your guys' lists to go with:

- KG
- Marion
- Nowitzki
- Odom
- LeBron

Almost too close to call it honorable mention goes to Kobe, with Boris Diaw and Gerald Wallace moving up list big time this past year.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

Just to be clear, what is your definition of versatile? Does it include defense? Be able to play mulitple position?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Just to be clear, what is your definition of versatile? Does it include defense? Be able to play mulitple position?

when i was making my list i looked at players who are really difficult matchups for the defense. players who can play 2-3 positions. players who are triple double threats and can also make plays. i almost put marion on the list but left him off because it seems that teams in the playoffs can shut him down.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:

when i was making my list i looked at players who are really difficult matchups for the defense. players who can play 2-3 positions. players who are triple double threats and can also make plays. i almost put marion on the list but left him off because it seems that teams in the playoffs can shut him down.

Gotcha....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

diaw
marion
odom
KG
g. wallace
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

KG - Can play 5 positions in a half-court on both ends
LO - Can play 4 positions in a half-court on both ends
Diaw - Can play 5 positions in any offense
LeBron - Can play 3 positions in any setting
Kobe - Can play 3 positions in any setting on both ends

Marion - VERY overrated. Highly overrated defensively for a guy so athletic and long, not great at creating shots for himself or others.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

AK47 would have to be the defensive sub.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:

What about D-Wade? He'd be at the top of the ESPN versatile list.....why not yours?
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
What about D-Wade? He'd be at the top of the ESPN versatile list.....why not yours?

There is sarcasim in there right.........
BigGameYimmy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Based on that definition I'd have to give Diaw strong consideration...him and Dirk would be next on my list, and I considered leaving Kobe off also.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

BigGameYimmy wrote:
Based on that definition I'd have to give Diaw strong consideration...him and Dirk would be next on my list, and I considered leaving Kobe off also.

Yeah why would a player (Kobe) that can dominate in scoring, defend, and become a playmaker be considered in the top-5. :roll:

^^ Farmar

TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
TheRod wrote:

There is sarcasim in there right.........

Yes.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

First team, in no particular order:

Dirk
Kobe
LeBron
KG
Odom

Second team, in no particular order:

Marion
AK47
Diaw
Tayshaun
J. Howard
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

Marion - VERY overrated. Highly overrated defensively for a guy so athletic and long, not great at creating shots for himself or others.

disagree about Marion.

he has trouble defending PF's because he is a SF. He is an good man defender on 3's and he also is a great rebounder for a SF and can also block shots. What else would you want from a defender?
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

I have to give some real thought to this but if Defense is included you can make a real case against LBJ & Dirk
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:
I have to give some real thought to this but if Defense is included you can make a real case against LBJ & Dirk

I have a problem with LBJ on the team. Replace that hype-machine with Rasheed Wallace.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

disagree about Marion.

he has trouble defending PF's because he is a SF. He is an good man defender on 3's and he also is a great rebounder for a SF and can also block shots. What else would you want from a defender?

When has Marion ever "made things tough" on opposing threes? Name one instance.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
The Mike wrote:

I have a problem with LBJ on the team. Replace that hype-machine with Rasheed Wallace.

hahah lebron a hype machine????? dont hate!!!! ..the guy is the future of the league and hes sooo sick at such a young age. Sure he needs to work on d and his perimeter game, but he will do both those things.......kobe was raw at one point to. He worked hard to become the best player in the league...Lebrons time will come. Dont hate for the sake of it..thats all.
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

Well if we are to take this all-versatile team seriously, basically it would mean a bunch of guys who are tweeners that are long and athletic with passable handles, good off-the-ball defense, decent passers, and are decent shooters.

In my opinion Marion opitomizes it (along with KG, Diaw, LO, and Dirk or Lebron). I definitely would leave Kobe off of this, since he isn't hyper-athletic, nor the most active guy on the floor on the defensive end, he's more of a man defender. While that stops guys, it is less inclined to get you those lose balls that help drive easy baskets.

Of course, the problem is, the All Versatile Team wouldn't be a very good NBA team...

It would be good in many things, though not great at anything. Shooting would be streaky, rebounding would be at par, ballhandling would be poor (you don't have ONE guy you can go if they do a full court press on you), but the half court game would be beautiful but the shots are more inclined to be jumpers than inside baskets, and the transition game would be awesome, and the team would get to alot of loose balls (and transition situations, as a result).

BUT...it would be a team built for running over the Olympics for certain.
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
TheRod wrote:
The Mike wrote:

hahah lebron a hype machine????? dont hate!!!! ..the guy is the future of the league and hes sooo sick at such a young age. Sure he needs to work on d and his perimeter game, but he will do both those things.......kobe was raw at one point to. He worked hard to become the best player in the league...Lebrons time will come. Dont hate for the sake of it..thats all.

Mine had nothing to do with hate, I'm looking at the whole game and not just the offensive end when it comes to versitility. LBJ is not a very good on ball defender. To me being a versitile player covers every part of the game. I'm not saying he won't get there..... I'm just saying that for an All-NBA Versitile team right now his D is what would keep him off.

The same goes for Dirk, though he may never be a good defender.
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:

AK
Diaw
Lebron
Ginobilli
Tmac
Odom
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
TheRod wrote:
The Mike wrote:

Unless Lebron is a psychotic workhorse like Kobe (which he isn't), his game won't improve much more than what we've seen. In fact....his game hasen't improved much since he's been in the NBA. He is more consistent with his jump shot......that's about it. The reason his team is winning now is because of a solid mix of veteran players (snow, marshall) along with proven NBA talent (Gooden, Hughes, Jones, Murray, Varajao, etc.) and a HEALTHY All-Star Center (Z). That team has everything...shooters, defenders, rebounders, slashers.....it's a good TEAM.

I don't see Lebron improving much more than what we've already seen.....and because of that I would put Rasheed Wallace in his place. Wallace has an inside game, outside game, 3pt range, he rebounds, is a defender, has decent court vision, he's strong, quick, athletic. He's way more versatile than James.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
TheRod wrote:
The Mike wrote:

Mine had nothing to do with hate, I'm looking at the whole game and not just the offensive end when it comes to versitility. LBJ is not a very good on ball defender. To me being a versitile player covers every part of the game. I'm not saying he won't get there..... I'm just saying that for an All-NBA Versitile team right now his D is what would keep him off.

The same goes for Dirk, though he may never be a good defender.

I asked about the definition of verstale in regards to THIS list... defense wasn't a criteria...

Quote:
TACH wrote:

da ocho wrote:
when i was making my list i looked at players who are really difficult matchups for the defense. players who can play 2-3 positions. players who are triple double threats and can also make plays.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: