Simmons' NBA Finals Take

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Simmons' NBA Finals Take

LINK
I know, I know. People are probably sick of me posting his stuff by now, but with the Lakers out of the picture, he doesn't need to lean on his Kobe Crutch anymore. This article has way too many good things about it not to share. Check out these little tidbits. It's like he's (sorta) reading our minds.

Bill Simmons wrote:
Question No. 5: What does Shaq have up his sleeve in this series?

...it seems like many fans and experts convinced themselves that Shaq will destroy the Mavs just like he crushed the 2001 Sixers or the 2002 Nets. First of all, that's silly talk -- 2002 Shaq is gone. He might be able to reach back into the ESPN Classic vault for one very good game in this series, maybe even two, but not more than that

Bill Simmons wrote:
Question No. 10: What's the real reason Dallas is going to win?

One word: Karma.
Shaquille O'Neal: Everyone thinks that Kobe demanded his own team, which was why Shaq ended up getting traded. Actually, this is only half-true. Shaq was woefully out of shape for the 2002-03 season -- although he had just won three straight titles and was probably Kobe'd out, so I can't totally blame him -- then pushed for a lucrative extension that summer even though he had two more years remaining on his contract. Faced with a power struggle between their two superstars, as well as a gigantic financial commitment to Shaq, the Lakers panicked and stupidly held a fire sale (getting 45 cents on the dollar for him). Then Shaq deflected any local blame in Los Angeles by blaming Kobe and declaring war on him, one of his smartest political moves and yet another reason why Shaq needs to run for office some day. It wasn't nearly as sleazy as the Riley/Mourning things, but it was still a little slimy. And remember, he did the same thing to everyone in Orlando.
(BAD KARMA RATING: 6 out of 10)

TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

My favorites:

Question No. 9d: Do you ever find yourself staring at Pat Riley on HD and wondering what kind of work he's had done?

No comment.

Question No. 9f: Do you think Eva Longoria was furious that the Spurs and Tony Parker got bounced in the second round and cost her all that camera time?

No question about it.

"But you have to hand it to Howard, who escalated his all-around game with an awesome performance in the Phoenix series and seems poised to win the 2006 Ben Wallace Award for 'The Guy Who Was Always A Little Underrated, Then Played Well On The Big Stage And Eventually Became Overrated Because Everyone Wouldn't Stop Talking About How Underrated He Was.'"

HILARIOUS!
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:

I also love how Simmons is already calling that the refs will throw 2-3 games the Heat's way with biased officiating

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: