So much for that argument against Mavs forcing Heat to go small...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: So much for that argument against Mavs forcing Heat to go small...

And what happened when they did? They went on runs.

This matchup is very bad for the Heat.

Its going to take 110% from their entire rotation to win this series.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:

If the Mavs win Game 2 (and what are the odds of Dirk being off two games in a row) the Heat are finished.

Snaq especially is an overrated tank and I enjoyed watching his brick FTs cost the Heat a chance at the win tonight.

I can't stand Snaq or even Wade at this point. Even Pat Riley is becoming annoying.

It is time to put an end to this fallacy, the Heat would be a 4 or 5 seed in the West.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Thank God for Fatoine Walker.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Once Wade takes enough abuse... his game will disappear. What game does he have outside of driving to the hoop as fast as he can and throwing down a thunderous dunk?

And how about his quote in the interview asking him about his diet? (paraphrasing) "Well, yeah... ummmm. I just like, um... errr... eat whatever I want, because I'm young, you know?"

WHAT!?

And people compare this dolt to Jordan, or say he's better than Kobe? You think either of them, ever had that mentality? Both of them were/are fanatical about training and treating their bodies right.

Wade is a passing fancy. Flavor of the month.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Wade has no J...he gets fatigued from driving all the time. Eventually all that driving will show its effects on his body...jus look at AI
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I called it. Dallas is the best defensive team in these playoffs and they're the WORST possible matchup Miami could get.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I called it. Dallas is the best defensive team in these playoffs and they're the WORST possible matchup Miami could get.

But doesn't it make you warm and gooey on the inside?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:

To go back to JD's original point, I don't know it is a matter so much of going small as a matter of going to the bench.

Dallas just has so many good players who are also quick of foot, able to rotate and run and they play their roles well.

I give their organization credit. It hasn't always ben an easy road.
_LAKESHOW_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

i just knew that the mavericks had a depth and talent advantage over the heat. but holy crap, they kept the heat in check for most of the game. it seemed.

the mavericks need to play better defense though. but other than that, this series could get freakin ugly in a hurry. like 4 games to zip ugly.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

All the Mavs have to do is keep their intensity, and protect the basketball. Too many Unforced turnovers in this first game.

And on a side note....I really like this Mavs team.....other than that dickhead Jerry Stackhouse, all the players on the Mavs are stand up guys. Props to them, and their current success.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

Dallas has finally earned the D in their title. Seriously they do have one of the best and most underrated defenses in the league. I have to give them props.

As for Miami, they are an easy team to rattle, given all their oversized egos. As soon as their players start the blame game it's all over. If Dallas wins game 2 expect cancers like Snaqa the hut to start blaming everyone and the mitten to start whining.

As for Dirk, hate to say it, but he was the MVP of the season.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Dallas has finally earned the D in their title. Seriously they do have one of the best and most underrated defenses in the league. I have to give them props.

As for Miami, they are an easy team to rattle, given all their oversized egos. As soon as their players start the blame game it's all over. If Dallas wins game 2 expect cancers like Snaqa the hut to start blaming everyone and the mitten to start whining.

As for Dirk, hate to say it, but he was the MVP of the season.

Absolutely agree after watching these playoffs.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: So much for that argument against Mavs forcing Heat to go small...

JD wrote:
And what happened when they did? They went on runs.

This matchup is very bad for the Heat.

Its going to take 110% from their entire rotation to win this series.

The Mavs rarely went small last night. A center was in the game at most times. They went on runs off missed Heat shots and turnovers.

The speed and depth of the Mavs is bad for Miami. The game was close and both teams have room for improvement. I think it will be a good series.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

I don't believe I ever said, they were going to go small all the time. My point, was they would be able to force the Heat into trying to compensate. You decided I was wrong.

4th quarter when the Mavs extended their lead out to 10.

Who was playing center?

HINT: He's German.

And when Miami responds with Williams, GP, Wade, Walker and Mourning... that's going small.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

There is nobody that truly stop dirk! He stopped himself last night which made it such a close game. Their D was actually on point! They held them to a nice low, and frustrated Shaq beyond belief!!

JD you are right... the squad they had out there when they took the ten point lead is their strongest against Miami!!

Jop was killing them in blocked shots too! Too bad thats all he does!!
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Dallas is just on another level when it comes to the other contenders. Their only weakness is not having too much post scoring, but they make it up with so many guys who can score at a time.

Outside of the 1st quarter, the Mavs absolutely held down the Heat. They beat the Heat when Dirk was 4-14 and Howard 3-14. Those two guys aren't going to be off very often. I expect Dirk to bounce back with a huge performance.

Heat?

They did a very good job in stretches defending the halfcourt, but...

Shaq disappears after the 1st quarter, Wade goes quiet for long stretches
16 turnovers (17 per in playoffs)
Horrible perimeter defense
poor free throw shooting

these are problems the Heat have had all year and I don't expect them to get any better. Riley wants more 'timely shots'. How the hell do you coach that?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
I don't believe I ever said, they were going to go small all the time. My point, was they would be able to force the Heat into trying to compensate. You decided I was wrong.

4th quarter when the Mavs extended their lead out to 10.

Who was playing center?

HINT: He's German.

And when Miami responds with Williams, GP, Wade, Walker and Mourning... that's going small.

The initial debate about going small was discussing how SA chose to go small, and how Miami would not go that route because they have different personnel (Haslem, and Walker..who isn't a PF but still not a guard as the Spurs players were). Mourning is their back-up C. How is having him in the game going small? Haslem and Posey were both in foul trouble. That's why Walker was at PF. I wouldn't call that Dallas forcing them to compensate. I call that Miami bigs being in foul trouble. Props to Dallas for taking advantage.

They went on runs in the 2nd when Shaq left with 2 fouls and they went to a zone. They went on the run in the 4th when they went to zone and Miami had turnovers (allowing them to run more).

Dallas didn't force line-up problems on Miami in game 1, or force them to compensate (unless you consider foul trouble forcing someone to do something). Dallas centers (Diop/Dampier) were on the court 43 of 46 minutes.

I still agree that the matchup is bad for the Heat, as far as the Mavs quickness on the perimiter, Dirk and depth. If Miami can take advantage of it's mismatches (Shaq, Wade and the ability to control the paint) then I think it will be a good series. Last night's game was a good game....
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm well aware what the initial conversation was about. I'm the one that said it... you're the one that said I was wrong.

You're the one that can't seem to wrap your mind around time/length, doesn't matter. Regardless of how/why/when/who you feel the reasons are/were... the results were the same.

Oh... wait! I get it.

You're never wrong.

:roll:

Whatever.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
I'm well aware what the initial conversation was about. I'm the one that said it... you're the one that said I was wrong.

You're the one that can't seem to wrap your mind around time/length, doesn't matter. Regardless of how/why/when/who you feel the reasons are/were... the results were the same.

Oh... wait! I get it.

You're never wrong.

:roll:

Whatever.

I understand time just fine. Dampier/Diop played all but 3 minutes. I watched the game and have a clear understanding of why a PF wasn't in the game during that stretch. Haslem was in foul trouble. Dallas did not decide to go small and force Miami to adjust. Miami adjusted to their PF being in foul trouble (not the Dallas line-up). Miami was not small, as they still had a center (Mourning) in the game.

The results (IMO) were that Dallas went on their run due to the Heat missed shots and turnovers. You want to attribute that to being small. I attribute it to the zone (missed shots) and sloppy play/good D (turnovers).

I'm wrong as much as you are, but not in this case. I don't see how you can attribute that they forced Miami to go small because their PF left the game due to foul problems. We will have to agree to disagree (we aren't gonna change each others opinions).
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
If the Mavs win Game 2 (and what are the odds of Dirk being off two games in a row) the Heat are finished.

Snaq especially is an overrated tank and I enjoyed watching his brick FTs cost the Heat a chance at the win tonight.

I can't stand Snaq or even Wade at this point. Even Pat Riley is becoming annoying.

It is time to put an end to this fallacy, the Heat would be a 4 or 5 seed in the West.

IMO the game wasn't as much of a blow out as people in this thread are making it. The game was very close for most of the game. The Mavs just had the last run.

That being said, I think Dallas will win. AJ has Dallas playing fast and working hard. I'm pretty impressed with the coaching job he did and kudos to the NBA for tightening up the hand checking rules to make the NBA game flow again. I just with they'd tighten up on the traveling and carrying rules now to make things more fair.

Despite the Mavs winning, I think they should have gone the Larry Brown tactic of letting Shaq tire himself out in the 1st half by letting him go one on one with Dampier. Wade is pretty darn impressive as a pure athlete but I don't think he has the skills to carry the load one on one for an entire game. He scores in spurts just like most guys who have to use an incredible bust to get a scoring opportunity.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:

LINK

This was supposed to be a career capper for O'Neal – his last best chance at another title – just two seasons after leaving Los Angeles and guaranteeing he would lift Miami to the top. But on Sunday, he spent the second half on the bench, brooding over another non-factor night (just five points on 2-for-5 shooting and a mere six rebounds) while the Heat went small in a futile comeback attempt.

Guess, I still don't know what I'm talking about. :roll:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: